Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 07-21-2019, 02:00 PM   #1
LoganAtSea
Human being with feelings

Default Does REAPER include a way to program drums?

I was this close to purchasing Studio One 4.5 Professional, but was made aware of REAPER. Does REAPER include a way to easily program drums?
LoganAtSea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 02:27 PM   #2
domzy

lots of ways to program drums - in the grid editor (with named notes - templates are available for GM kits etc. if needed), or step time, or drum machine style (MIDI overdub)-(i think Kenny has done a video on this) or in Mega sequencer baby (an included VST with a drum grid / pattern selector)

edit - actually, sequencer megababy is a JS plugin, not VST

Last edited by domzy; 07-21-2019 at 03:22 PM.
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 02:48 PM   #3
LoganAtSea

Quote:
Originally Posted by domzy View Post
lots of ways to program drums - in the grid editor (with named notes - templates are available for GM kits etc. if needed), or step time, or drum machine style (MIDI overdub)-(i think Kenny has done a video on this) or in Mega sequencer baby (an included VST with a drum grid / pattern selector)
The grid editor sounds promising. Once I add a blank track, how do I go about finding the grid editor?
Old 07-21-2019, 02:54 PM   #4
Lokasenna

1. Insert a new MIDI item - the easiest way is to Ctrl+drag on a track.
2. Double-click it.

Note that you'll have to find a drum VST to play the notes for you, or set up a hardware output to send the MIDI to an external device.
Old 07-21-2019, 05:15 PM   #5
LoganAtSea

In Studio One, there's a way to program drums without a MIDI device. Is there such a way in REAPER?
Old 07-21-2019, 05:18 PM   #6
nait

Check out the official Reaper tutorials. Kenny Gioia has a whole bunch on drum sequencing.

Here's one, but there are quite a few more on the Videos section of http://Reaper.fm:
http://reaper.fm/videos.php#nJFcRF-D9Sk

I am not very good with a keyboard or MIDI device, so I always program my drums in. All you'll need is either a drum VSTi of some sort (Drum Pro is free, iirc: https://www.studiolinked.com/drum-pro/), or just some samples and use something like ReaSamplOmatic5000 (the sampler built into Reaper). There's actually some really good samples out there too for free. I saw a whole package of free drum samples somewhere.. it was either in the Reaper stash (https://stash.reaper.fm/) or mentioned in one of Gioia's files.

Gioia also has some more intermediate tutorials that are great, like showing you how to set up your editor so that it shows what each note is for (like ex. C3 might be your kick drum, but you can label it in the editor as "Kick" instead of C3 so you don't have to hunt around to figure out note does what).
nait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 06:25 PM   #7
Lokasenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoganAtSea View Post
In Studio One, there's a way to program drums without a MIDI device. Is there such a way in REAPER?
Programming isn't the problem - you need either a MIDI device or a software instrument (typically a VST plugin) to play the drum sounds from your pattern.
Old 07-21-2019, 11:32 PM   #8
ivansc

MT PowerDrums v2 is a cracker and its free. So is Drum Pro, as previously mentiond. And then there is Slate Drums5, also free. These three are pretty dern good, so at least you have a decent place to start.

By way of further explanation, Cocks` ethos has always been to provide you with the tools to do excellent recording and mixing, plus a selection of the "essential" plugins, but little in the way of virtual instruments.

If you have used other DAWs you will know they generally provide some instruments, but in reality I and many many others tend to prefer picking our own virtual instruments, especially since there ARE so many good free or very inexpensive ones out there today.

Can I recommend you have a look at the "Going all freeware, well almost" thread in these forums? Super helpful.
Old 07-22-2019, 08:12 AM   #9
LoganAtSea

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstooch View Post
Check out the official Reaper tutorials. Kenny Gioia has a whole bunch on drum sequencing.

Here's one, but there are quite a few more on the Videos section of http://Reaper.fm:
http://reaper.fm/videos.php#nJFcRF-D9Sk

I am not very good with a keyboard or MIDI device, so I always program my drums in. All you'll need is either a drum VSTi of some sort (Drum Pro is free, iirc: https://www.studiolinked.com/drum-pro/), or just some samples and use something like ReaSamplOmatic5000 (the sampler built into Reaper). There's actually some really good samples out there too for free. I saw a whole package of free drum samples somewhere.. it was either in the Reaper stash (https://stash.reaper.fm/) or mentioned in one of Gioia's files.

Gioia also has some more intermediate tutorials that are great, like showing you how to set up your editor so that it shows what each note is for (like ex. C3 might be your kick drum, but you can label it in the editor as "Kick" instead of C3 so you don't have to hunt around to figure out note does what).
That was super helpful. Thanks.
Old 07-22-2019, 08:13 AM   #10
LoganAtSea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post
Programming isn't the problem - you need either a MIDI device or a software instrument (typically a VST plugin) to play the drum sounds from your pattern.
Can you explain? I need the ability to record me playing guitars and keyboards, but need to program drums.
Old 07-22-2019, 08:22 AM   #11
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post
1. Insert a new MIDI item - the easiest way is to Ctrl+drag on a track.
2. Double-click it.

Note that you'll have to find a drum VST to play the notes for you, or set up a hardware output to send the MIDI to an external device.
This ^^^

In the midi editor you can draw drum hits with your mouse, and loop sections if you only need a straight beat for a number of measures.

As for the drum VSTi, without spending any money you could download Tod's free drumkit for the native sampler that comes with REAPER. His samples are pretty decent for a real sounding set of drums at the right price.

Free samples here. https://smmdrums.wordpress.com/for-reaper/

Last edited by Glennbo; 07-22-2019 at 08:28 AM.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 08:22 AM   #12
DarkStar

Quote:
Can you explain? I need the ability to record me playing guitars and keyboards, but need to program drums.
He means that once you have got the drums programmed in the MIDI Editor, then you'll need something (e,g an external hardware device or a software drum plug-in) to hear the audio.

And here's the sort of drum note programming that you can do:
Old 07-22-2019, 08:28 AM   #13
Lokasenna

Quote:
That was in response to:
Quote:
I may have misunderstood the question. At any rate, you can program your drums in Reaper just fine with the MIDI editor - no external devices needed. To play back your drum patterns and hear a drum kit playing, you'll need either a software drum machine (MTPowerDrumKit or EZDrummer, for instance), or an hardware drum machine that you can send Reaper's MIDI out to.
Old 07-22-2019, 09:12 AM   #14
LoganAtSea

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
He means that once you have got the drums programmed in the MIDI Editor, then you'll need something (e,g an external hardware device or a software drum plug-in) to hear the audio.

Is that screenshot from REAPER?

Last edited by LoganAtSea; 07-22-2019 at 02:08 PM.
Old 07-22-2019, 11:27 AM   #15
DVDdoug

I don't own EZdrummer, but here's a quote from Recording Magazine that I've posted before:
Quote:
For nearly 20 years now, I've followed the submissions to our Reader's Tapes column looking for relationships between the gear used and the end results. I'm particularly interested the fact that many of our readers don't play drums themselves, or have a live drummer...
Some use drum machines, some drag and drop drum loops... and arrange them in their DAWs, some use rhythm box plug-ins, and the results are all over the map... Whether it's bad samples, unrealistic mixing, sloppy effects, or a groove no real drummer would play, these less-than-stellar drum tracks can drag an entire song down...
Comparing gear lists to critique results, a small handful of products could be traced consistently to excellent drum tracks. [EZdrummer] was not only among the most consistent of the virtual drummers but also among the most affordable.
DVDdoug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 03:17 PM   #16
Osse

When I made the switch from Ableton to Reaper I found it annoyingly difficult to program drums. I still miss the Drumrack from Ableton most of all with that DAW. I'm not much of a sequencer guy(I want to program from scratch with MIDI notes) so can't comment on that.

What I'm doing these days are using these drums for non-edm music mostly with some blending of samples aswell:

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=150924

I would recommend you to configure the midi editor to get rid of all the annoying keys that don't contain any drums and name the keys accordingly to get a good workflow with it. Reapers humanize functions for timing & note velocity are cool!

Download the demo of Reaper and try it out
Osse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 05:56 PM   #17
superblonde.org

alternatively,

write the drums in another sheet music editor such as muse score (or what i use is guitar pro)
then export as midi file
then drop the midi into a reaper track

then assign a plugin to synthesize audio from the midi (mt powerdrums or steven slate drums)
and set the preferences to make the right sounds from the right midi note.

then tweak the midi notes a bit in reaper.
superblonde.org is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 03:16 AM   #18
DarkStar

Quote:
Is that screenshot from REAPER?
Yep, it sure is.

I changed the note shape to "triangles", selected "Hide unused and unnamed notes" and load a Note Names file.
Old 07-23-2019, 09:20 AM   #19
ashcat_lt

Reaper does include ReaSynDrum which isn’t anything exciting, but doesn’t sound worse than any other analog style drum machine. If you’re just trying to hear something rtfn or are looking for that kind of sound, it works fine.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 01:36 PM   #20
Kyle91

The best way to create drum track-use addictive drums. I create my drums part in reaper and adding vsti plugin. Reaper also has a built-on drums but i don't use it.
Watch this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpk6LT5WTcQ or look for information on this site https://simplydrum.com/
Kyle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 01:51 PM   #21
future fields

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post

Lol what is HH Open Bonham?
Old 02-01-2020, 04:50 PM   #22
ivansc

@ future fields "BASHHHHHH!"
Old 11-04-2021, 10:23 AM   #23
alex128

Unfortunately, Reaper has no capabilities for drum programming, period.

Of course, we are not considering its ugly baby plugins or how they are called - that sort of an utter crap Reaper dare to offer.

Yes, some folks would suggest you to suffer with Midi editor, well, good luck. It's rather an insult than an advice.

If we compare to the solutions that exists (for decades?) in other DAWs like Sonar, FL Studio, etc then it's clearly visible that Reaper is far-far-far behind and it just has nothing to offer.

I am ending up buying SD3, it appears to be the best option overall.

Reaper will never be able to deliver a good tool for drum programming, they are decades behind and will never catch up.
alex128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 10:29 AM   #24
The Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex128 View Post

Of course, we are not considering its ugly baby plugins or how they are called - that sort of an utter crap Reaper dare to offer.

Yes, some folks would suggest you to suffer with Midi editor, well, good luck. It's rather an insult than an advice.

If we compare to the solutions that exists (for decades?) in other DAWs like Sonar, FL Studio, etc then it's clearly visible that Reaper is far-far-far behind and it just has nothing to offer.

Reaper will never be able to deliver a good tool for drum programming, they are decades behind and will never catch up.
it works fine for me, just using the MIDI editor.
The Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 11:01 AM   #25
ivansc

Quote:

You obviously are somewhat confused about programming drums.
There are really only two ways to create drum tracks.
1. Using loops
2.using a virtual drumkit instrument and either importing pre-made MIDI loops or actually programming your own grooves, using the same virtual drumkit.

In your case, Superior Drummer 3 is one of the more expensive VSTis for creating drums & it belongs in the second group outlined above.

In summation, YES there are plenty of easy ways to come up with drum tracks using group 1 above, or group 2 with included pre-written drum grooves.

But if you specifically want drum tracks that play exactly what you want, there is no easy way to do it in either group.

However, IF you are happy with using other peoples stock loops, either in MIDI or audio, that is just as easy in Reaper as in any other DAW, but you do need to have either a free Drum VSTi or a paid one.

I`m writing this assuming that you are the same as the original poster & don`t really understand how these things work in practise.
Old 11-04-2021, 11:37 AM   #26
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
In the midi editor you can draw drum hits with your mouse, and loop sections if you only need a straight beat for a number of measures.

As for the drum VSTi, without spending any money you could download Tod's free drumkit for the native sampler that comes with REAPER. His samples are pretty decent for a real sounding set of drums at the right price.

Free samples here. https://smmdrums.wordpress.com/for-reaper/
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
You obviously are somewhat confused about programming drums.
There are really only two ways to create drum tracks.
1. Using loops
2.using a virtual drumkit instrument and either importing pre-made MIDI loops or actually programming your own grooves, using the same virtual drumkit.

In your case, Superior Drummer 3 is one of the more expensive VSTis for creating drums & it belongs in the second group outlined above.

In summation, YES there are plenty of easy ways to come up with drum tracks using group 1 above, or group 2 with included pre-written drum grooves.

But if you specifically want drum tracks that play exactly what you want, there is no easy way to do it in either group.
I just used Tod's SM_Drums a few days ago programming the drum track with 8 pads on a new Oxygen Pro Mini keyboard.

https://www.soundclick.com/music/son...ongID=14334357

I also have Superior Drummer 2 and EZ-Drummer 1, but use real acoustic drums in almost all my projects. The one linked above was recorded on a Raspberry Pi using SM_Drums played from pads.
Old 11-04-2021, 09:03 PM   #27
Bazzbass

define 'easy'

if you have no rhythm in you, no, there is no easy way.
Old 11-04-2021, 10:45 PM   #28
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
I just used Tod's SM_Drums a few days ago programming the drum track with 8 pads on a new Oxygen Pro Mini keyboard.

https://www.soundclick.com/music/son...ongID=14334357

I also have Superior Drummer 2 and EZ-Drummer 1, but use real acoustic drums in almost all my projects. The one linked above was recorded on a Raspberry Pi using SM_Drums played from pads.
That was great Glennbo, great sound all around. There are a couple of SMM IRs I use with ReaVerb on that snare that give it a little more punch.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 12:40 AM   #29
The Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazzbass View Post
define 'easy'

if you have no rhythm in you, no, there is no easy way.
This.
And also it's good to know what an actual drummer would do.
The Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 05:10 AM   #30
bolgwrad

Don't think anybody's mentioned that there are two slightly different ways to edit MIDI drums, which Reaper is suited to equally.

First is most common, to have the drum Vst on one track, loaded with the kit items assigned to different keys. This is what stock patterns work to.

The other way is how halfwits like me do it, and have a separate track (and therefore MIDI editor) for each kit item. MUCH more flexible and transparent for auditioning samples, FX, stereo images, etc. I love creating non-stock fills, and putting down four on the floor with a kick and snare is hardly 'programming'.

Of course, Reaper allows you to mix'n'match both these methods, eg discrete kick track, toms and cymbals on a single track.

And if I wanted to export my patterns for a one-track kit, I could use the glue function, as long as my channel/key assignments were up to snuff. If I had a FR it would be to enable spreadsheet-type splits in the MIDI editor so I could work on more than one track at once.

Last edited by bolgwrad; 11-05-2021 at 05:14 AM. Reason: typos
bolgwrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 06:24 AM   #31
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
That was great Glennbo, great sound all around. There are a couple of SMM IRs I use with ReaVerb on that snare that give it a little more punch.
Thanks Tod, your samples are extremely impressive. Like I mentioned I have Superior Drummer 2 and EZ-Drummer 1 on my main DAW, and SM_Drums is right up there in the same league IMO.

SM_Drums works on a Raspberry Pi too, which Superior Drummer and EZ-Drummer do not, and I've been experimenting with my Pi4 and new little Oxygen Pro Mini keyboard to see what I can do on that ultra portable (and even solar power capable) system. Thanks for making your samples available!
Old 11-05-2021, 06:34 AM   #32
terryj47

Quote:
I don't really program drums. I use MT power drum kit. Sometimes I drag their groves and fills but usually I compose (simple) drum tracks in the MIDI editor. When you use the grids and have them set they way you want, you can enter drum notes as 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, etc. notes. You can label the piano keys in the MIDI editor with the file from MTPDK. I'm no drummer but this works well for me. Their grooves and fills are a bit busy for my taste.
Good luck.
terryj47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 07:00 AM   #33
chip mcdonald

Quote:

"Really, the nerve! Reaper doesn't have all the capabilities of FL Studio, Sonar, Superior Drummer, Addictive Drums and Reason! Also Omnisphere. So lame!"

Sir, this is a Wendy's.