Old 02-13-2019, 12:14 PM   #1
babag
Human being with feelings

Default carla question

individual plugins loaded into reaper via carla do not expose their parameter envelopes for automation. is that right?

just been experimenting with carla and am finding quite a few lv2 and other plugins i'd like to use as they sound better than anything else i've run across. problem is that i'd want to automate parameters. don't seem to be able to do that when loaded through carla.

thanks for any clarification,
babag
babag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 06:19 AM   #2
sub26nico

Quote:
Originally Posted by babag View Post
individual plugins loaded into reaper via carla do not expose their parameter envelopes for automation. is that right?

just been experimenting with carla and am finding quite a few lv2 and other plugins i'd like to use as they sound better than anything else i've run across. problem is that i'd want to automate parameters. don't seem to be able to do that when loaded through carla.

thanks for any clarification,
babag
You are right, but you can use MIDI CC to use automations.
Insert ReaControlMIDI before your lv2 plugin, enable Control Change and Raw mode in ReaControlMIDI, and give a CC in one of the <none> line then in Carla, open your plugin with the generic interface and assign the Control Change you want to use to the parameter needed. When it's done, in the automation of your track the CC appears.
sub26nico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 07:23 AM   #3
sub26nico

I've made a video showing it.
https://exode.me/videos/watch/21e18d...3-140e25f638fe
sub26nico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 03:08 AM   #4
4duhwinnn

Thanks much for doing the video.
I've never attempted automation,
as I don't do complex arrangements,
but now I can do some study and
try some new ideas. Hope something
very nice takes place for you soon!
Cheers
4duhwinnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 11:10 AM   #5
babag

yes, thanks a lot for the video! i can see how it could be very useful. not sure how to apply it in the case of item effects, though.

may not be an issue for me, though, as i've just found that my larger windows projects don't open in linux reaper. bummer. for me, the larger issue is now whether to keep trying reaper for linux at all or whether i have to go back to windows 10, something i REALLY don't want to do. unfortunately, reaper for linux seems to be very much limited in its ability to work with item effects, something that's not a problem on mac or windows. don't know if it's being addressed.

the other thing about this process, the one demonstrated in the video, is that it might complicate my workflow in that i work mostly with templates. having to add tracks for the effects like this would necessitate a rethinking of my template workflow.

thanks again,
babag
Old 02-17-2019, 03:54 PM   #6
calimerox

@babag did you try running win reaper version in wine on your linux os?
this would be a interesting try to open your sessions there...
calimerox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 07:14 PM   #7
babag

actually, no. i never did think of that. i'll give it a try soon. since i haven't installed it yet, i'll have to go through the whole config import/registration routine. will need more than the few minutes i have at the moment.

thanks for the suggestion,
babag
Old 02-17-2019, 10:23 PM   #8
babag

well, i was pretty excited at the possibility of getting my larger projects to open in reaper using wine but, sadly, i've not been able to get that to work. got reaper installed, configs imported, license imported, audio device set up (i think) but no luck. project crashes. sometimes it gets through the loading process and crashes when trying to play. sometimes it gets to the end of the loading process and crashes before trying to do anything at all. that's actually better than the native linux version.

i can report a couple of things. one, when the project loads it has a video reference file as the project is a post production sound design/mix project. that video file comes up on the screen upside down. also, when i hit the spacebar to play, the playback is extremely slow and unresponsive. so much so that hitting the spacebar again does not stop playback and i have to kill the reaper process. this happened both when trying to play with the video file active, as well as with the video track muted.

tried these things with both the 32 and 64 bit reaper versions. 64 bit worked better. plenty of memory: 32gb, and plenty fast enough i7 processor along with lots of room on the ssd.

thanks for the idea,
babag