Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 08-12-2017, 10:04 PM   #1
Allan Love
Human being with feelings

Default Bus/Folder Problems - (mixing using plugins for vocals)

Whatsup guys,

I'm new to Reaper. I'm trying to mix a song, but I'm having some technical difficulties. I want to use the same plugins (Ex. ReaEQ, ReaComp and Reaverb) all on multiple tracks (track 1, 2, 3), without using up too much CPU. (They're vocal tracks that I have stacked)

I've researched how to bus tracks, but it's not responding. It won't send or receive the plugins to the tracks when I create a separate FX track to send the plugins to (placed above the vocals). I even tried ticking and unticking the plugins to see if that would fix it, because I read in another thread, that it did, but nothing happened with mine.

Since bus didn't work, I also looked into the folder system. However, when I drag the vocal tracks (below FX) to the FX track (top of vocals), the folder works, but then it eliminates the possibility of adding different plugins to other vocal tracks. The FX button option literally disappears.

I'm confused because it doesn't do that in the tutorial videos I've watched, teaching users about the folder system. Any ideas on what I need to do to fix this issue?

Also, not sure if this helps, but I'm using an HP Laptop (64 bit) - Windows 10. I purchased REAPER v5.40/x64.

Thanks,

Allan
Allan Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 12:39 AM   #2
foxAsteria

Hi there, welcome to the Reaper forums. Do you have SWS extensions installed yet? It's highly recommended if not and free of any charge or risk. If you do making busses will get a lot easier.

This Fx button issue you describe is strange but I think it's a simple matter of the track vertical height being too low to display all the panel elements. Try zooming vertically or drag the bottom of the track.

It's not, however, recommended to use folders for group processing if you are going to use any fx sends. This is documented on the forums and I'm not keen to explain all the details why, but suffice to say that changing folder volume while also using fx sends will alter your mix in unintended ways and change the wet/dry ratio.

We can probably help sort out why your busses aren't working if you click the IO/Route button on the buss track and take a screencap of that, upload it to the stash: https://stash.reaper.fm/ and post it here.
Old 08-14-2017, 10:24 PM   #3
Allan Love

Default Bus/Folder Problems - (mixing using plugins for vocals) - Reply

Hey foxAsteria,

Thanks for all that info. I just downloaded SWS. Not sure how to take advantage of it, but it's there now.

As far as the folder system goes, I tried zooming in vertically and also dragging the bottom of the track, but it didn't make the FX buttons reappear.

Nevertheless, thanks for letting me know that the folder system is not recommended for what I'm trying to do. Guess the fact that the FX buttons are disappearing doesn't really matter at this point, if all it's going to do is mess up my mix anyways.

I'll definitely upload the pics of what I see after clicking on IO/route button and post it to that link you provided. Thanks!
Old 08-15-2017, 12:43 AM   #4
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Love View Post
Thanks for all that info. I just downloaded SWS. Not sure how to take advantage of it, but it's there now.
for now check out the Cue Buss Generator (search actions list). You also have a ton of other actions to create custom actions with, so any time you want to combine a set of actions you repeat a lot, create a custom action.
Old 08-15-2017, 09:19 AM   #5
Allan Love

Default Password Reset Issue

Ok I'll look into the Cue Buss Generator. Thanks.

As far as the link you sent me to upload pictures goes, it's not working. I saved my password to my computer, but I failed to write it down, in the event that I would need to type it again. I should've. Hate that I didn't. My mistake. Anyways, I tried clicking on "forgot password" and resetting it, but it never sent me an email with instructions on how to do this. The email is not in my spam or boxbe waiting list either. This is the same email address I used to sign up with, so it should send it. Not sure what's going on with that. Can you help with this issue?
Old 08-15-2017, 12:17 PM   #6
foxAsteria

It's not a big deal. If you don't get a reset link sent you your email, you probably mistyped your email in the first place. Just try signing up again, or use a different email, or email support. It's the same devs that run that site as this one.
Old 08-16-2017, 11:14 AM   #7
Allan Love

Ok I guess I'll just sign up again.
Old 08-16-2017, 11:38 AM   #8
Allan Love

Default Update: New Account Created

Not sure how this stash process works, but I created a new account: "love_allan" I uploaded one picture of the sends. I took 3 more pictures of the 3 vocal tracks, but I haven't uploaded those yet. Let me know what you need. Of course, I took these pics before I downloaded SWS. I'm about to try out the Cue Buss Generator you suggested. Just now getting around to doing that. Thanks.
Old 08-16-2017, 12:20 PM   #9
foxAsteria

Once you've uploaded you pic, log in and click "my files" in the top right. Find the one you want to post to and click "manage my file," below the image. This is the same screen you will see right after you upload anything. Copy the code under "Forum Code - Image," paste the text here and the pic will be embedded into your post.
Old 08-16-2017, 03:30 PM   #10
Allan Love

Got it. Just posted two.

https://stash.reaper.fm/31445/Sends.JPG

https://stash.reaper.fm/31448/track1.JPG
Old 08-16-2017, 03:49 PM   #11
Allan Love

Default Cue Buss Generator Dilemma

I'm trying to figure out how to use the cue buss generator. I must be doing something wrong though. I looked it up on a previous forum and followed the steps provided from here:

https://i.imgur.com/Wb3pl.gif

I must be missing something. It's not working for me. Is there a better way to get directions on this? Like a video that doesn't go as quickly. The video won't even let me pause and follow along because it's a gif.
Old 08-16-2017, 04:45 PM   #12
nofish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Love View Post
Since bus didn't work, I also looked into the folder system. However, when I drag the vocal tracks (below FX) to the FX track (top of vocals), the folder works, but then it eliminates the possibility of adding different plugins to other vocal tracks. The FX button option literally disappears.
Have you tried resizing the tracks or the divider line ?

nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 07:06 PM   #13
foxAsteria

There's probably a video out there, but a quick search didn't turn it up for me....

Anyways, cue bus generator works like this:

1 . If you have track settings you want to exist on every cue bus you make (color, name, layout, fx etc) set it up and save it as a track template first. Check the box to use the track template and click the three dots to choose it.

2. Depending which number you have selected in the bottom right, all settings you make will be instantly stored there (so choose it first if you will want to store multiple different types of bus, or leave it at 1 if not).

3. The last critical choice you need to make is the receives type (top left). Post-fader is generally for fx sends like reverb that you want to be depend on the fader level (lowering the fader will also lower the level of the fx you send to). Pre-fader and pre-fx (The only difference is whether the send is made before or after any fx you may have on your vocal tracks) are probably what you want if you will use input-dependent fx like compression (because the effect itself changes when the input volume changes). In that case, you might not want the internal mix of the bus track to change when adjusting the vocal track faders.

Note: A post-fader bus will match the send levels to the current fader levels of each track, so you will get audio in your bus track immediately. Pre-fx and pre-fader will set this to -inf, so you will have to raise the send level for each track to dial in the amount.

4. Select your vocal tracks and run one of the actions "create cue bus from track selection..." A new track is added, receiving all your selected tracks, based on the selections you made in the cue bus generator window.

I hope my explanation makes some sense.
Old 08-18-2017, 12:39 AM   #14
Allan Love

Thank you both for responding so quickly. I'll give both of these options a try when I get a chance. Hopefully tomorrow. If it doesn't work I'll let you know. I have a feeling the resizing won't work, but I can try it again. Thanks guys.
Old 08-18-2017, 06:45 PM   #15
Allan Love

Thanks nofish - that worked. I think foxAsteria suggested resizing too but I didn't get it. My bad.

foxAsteria, I found where you're talking about. I see the screen you displayed for the cue buss gen. However, I'm trying to figure out how to go about this. I have a lot of tracks recorded in this particular project. Something like 86. I basically went line for line when I recorded. In addition, all the tracks are stacked twice, for a total of three tracks per line (in the song). On top of that, I still need to create different FX tracks for each of my stacks. I already created an FX track for the first set of three to see if I understand how to do this.

I saved the project as a template, like you suggested. Then I went into the cue buss generator settings and checked "Create cue buss from track template(/manual). Then I clicked on the 3 dotted line, where it pulls up all my folders on my computer. I looked for the project folder for the template version I saved, but can't find it. However, the template version of the project shows up when I search in my folders outside of Reaper. What am I suppose to select while I'm in Reaper, since I don't see the project file of the template version I just saved?
Old 08-18-2017, 07:23 PM   #16
foxAsteria

There are project templates and there are track templates. Use the latter, since the cue buss generator will only see your track templates. You can also save templates of your fx, called Fx Chains.
Old 08-22-2017, 04:06 PM   #17
Allan Love

Default Recieves Question - Cue Buss Generator

foxAsteria: I see what you're referring to now.

So, this is my situation right now.

I have ReaVerb, ReaEQ and ReaComp all on one FX track. I created a FX track and placed it directly above the 3 vocal tracks I want the FX track to send to.

I used the folder method to organize the tracks, so I could save them as a track template (saw a YouTube video and that's how he did it) (I know you said you wouldn't recommend the folder method, but I don't know any other way to create a track template).

Then I tried creating a cue buss generator for those tracks.

Now I'm confused about choosing the right receives type. I read your post about Pre-fader, Post-fader and Pre-FX. However, based on what you said, it sounds like I should have the ReaVerb plugin on a separate track from the ReaEQ and ReaComp. Am I right about that? If so, how do I go about doing this in a way where I can still use the separate FX tracks on the same vocal tracks?
Old 08-23-2017, 12:27 AM   #18
foxAsteria

Ok, you still don't need a folder for this. You don't want all your tracks to be a track template, just the receiving track where you're putting your fx. One or more tracks can be a track template, but in this case we only need the buss track as a template. Right click it and "save tracks as track template..." When you use the cue buss generator, this is going to be the actual track (or tracks) that will appear and automatically receive your selected tracks.

You don't need to separate the Fx. A typical fx recieve track is post fader so that you don't hear it if you pull the sending tracks faders down. But if you happen to be using an input dependent effect like compression (when the effect itself changes depending on the input volume; e.g. more compression with higher input volume, whereas reverb just gets louder), then you want to use a pre-fader send. With your example chain, choose pre-fader. Personally, I would put the reverb post-fader and dial in the send amount per-track and I would make a separate buss for the compression. I would probably have eq on all three of those tracks...

Now I will tell you something you probably don't want to hear after all this fuss: if you are only using built-in Reaper fx, you probably don't need a buss in the first place. They are all super low on cpu use. You could put that fx chain you describe on a hundred tracks and a core 2 duo would likely run it just fine.

However, input dependent fx like compression can be a good way to "glue" track sounds together, by using a pre-fader send and blending that combined buss-track signal in with the original tracks. That is a common technique.

Nearly every one of my projects nowadays has some combination of pre-fader group busses (usually with some compression) and post-fader fx busses (usually with some time fx like reverb or delay). So in my cue buss generator, I have two settings I use; one for each.

Last edited by foxAsteria; 08-23-2017 at 12:32 AM.
foxAsteria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 01:34 PM   #19
Allan Love

Default Still Not Working

I followed all your steps man, but it's not working for me. I did everything exactly how you laid it out for me. Everything, including what you said in your previous posts to me. For some reason, the sends aren't sending and the receives aren't receiving still. This was the same issue I had before we even talked about the "Cue Buss Generator."

That's good to know that Rea plugins don't use that much cpu, but I'll be using other plugins (besides Rea ones), in some of the tracks. I already tried using other plugins on all the tracks and I'm getting a lot of static. It's obviously a cpu overload because when I take out those plugins, the static/clicky noise goes away. That's the whole reason I looked into bussing tracks in the first place, but like I said it's not responding.

Is there a Reaper phone number I can call or someone from Cockos I can pay to gain remote access and see what the dilemma is? This whole forum thing is cool, but I don't think it's the best way to communicate for such a complicated issue as the one I'm having.
Old 08-23-2017, 10:13 PM   #20
foxAsteria

Hmm, no Cockos is pretty low key. No dedicated support department. You could email them, but it might take a while to respond, as they are a small team and won't be able to give you direct support. I guess I could try to take a look at it for you remotely if you want. What time zone are you in? I should have some time tomorrow evening (Eastern). You can PM me if you want.
Old 08-28-2017, 05:15 PM   #21
Allan Love

Good news! I figured out the problem. I'm such a noob. The problem was: Every time I was trying to send a vocal track to the FX track, the "Master Track" option was still checked. I was sending the vocal tracks to the Master Track instead of the FX track. Thanks for all your help man. I don't think I would've even been able to get to this point of figuring it out if you didn't help me along the way. Much appreciated bro.