Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 10-06-2017, 11:30 PM   #1
jprieto
Human being with feelings

Default Presonus AudioBox USB 96 USB Audio Interface

I'm planning on buying this Presonus AudioBox USB 96 USB Audio Interface and wanted to know if anyone here had any issues that should be of concern to me -- such as drivers, etc ??

Thanks
jprieto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 07:54 PM   #2
drumphil

Presonus = trouble. Especially if you want low round trip latency.

In that price range, I usually recommend Focusrite Scarlett 2nd gen interfaces. But I don't deal with much gear in that price range, so somebody else might have a better idea what to get. All I know is I wont buy any Presonus audio interface. I've used some of their stand alone gear without any problems, but any time I end up using, or more likely being asked to look at because things aren't working as well as the owner expected, any presonus audio interface, I end up cursing Presonus. Loudly.

I don't know if it's a chipset choice issue, and can't be improved, or if it's just inefficient drivers getting in the way, but they could never manage to make a box with really good round trip latency. Most likely the chipset, but who knows. Well, I'm sure they do, but the rest of us can only guess.

Last edited by drumphil; 10-07-2017 at 08:04 PM.
drumphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 03:23 PM   #3
Stella645

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumphil View Post

.... but they could never manage to make a box with really good round trip latency.
Actually they just managed to make a box with ridiculously low rtl...but this is not in the $100 price range and is tb only
Stella645 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 12:47 AM   #4
drumphil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella645 View Post
Actually they just managed to make a box with ridiculously low rtl...but this is not in the $100 price range and is tb only
lol.. so they after all these years managed to make a low latency PCIE sound card... How's that for innovation. They've nearly caught up with the M-Audio Delta 1010!

Shame thunderbolt connectors are even more unreliable than USB.

Anyway, I do have to give them credit for those latency figures. However, before I get too excited I'd like to see how much system load you can run before things crap out at the lowest latency settings. Assuming the performance under load works out well, I'd actually consider one of those for a permanent installation. I don't trust thunderbolt connectors enough for anything portable, but not such an issue in a studio... well, apart from Mac Pro type issues where someone goes to plug in a usb stick, and looks just a bit too hard at the thuderbolt connector, and everything craps out mid take. Stupid design those things.

Last edited by drumphil; 10-09-2017 at 01:11 AM.
drumphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 10:54 AM   #5
Philbo King

They did me bad with the interface I got (AudioBox VSL 1818).

It works well for now, but... They hired a German firm to write the drivers, and will not update them any more, ever.
So, the next time my Windows goes obsolete, so does my Presonus hardware.

Last edited by Philbo King; 10-09-2017 at 11:15 AM.
Philbo King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 10:56 AM   #6
Pictus

For low latency there is a good thread at https://www.gearslutz.com/board/musi...a-base-52.html
Pictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 12:05 PM   #7
TheMaartian

I have a PreSonus AudioBox 44VSL...in the closet. Occasionally unstable under Win7. Completely unusable for me under Win10. And they dropped support for VSL with the driver updates. I complained, mostly nicely, on their forum. That got me banned.

Works OK as a class-compliant device with Audio Evolution Mobile running on my Android tablet.

Agree with the others...no more PreSonus hardware for me.
TheMaartian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 04:22 PM   #8
krahosk

I have a FireStudio on my PC with a firewire card. Started well enough, but, as time went by, it ended with a lot of trouble. Went back to my M-Audio 1010 PCi. Considering a Focusrite product, utlimately.
krahosk is offline   Reply With Quote