Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 01-27-2018, 07:25 AM   #41
ivansc
Human being with feelings

got here from that other thread. I am in 100% agreement with this but would like to extend it further to allow selecting the number of slots available, ideally on a per project basis.
Old 02-23-2018, 03:31 AM   #42
airon

I'd like to add that this entire slot approach should be and can easily be completely optional.

Maybe call it the mixer grid.

We're used to that term in the arrangement and midi editor.

It's just an extra, virtual ledger that needs to be kept and a way to display them according to the ledger. Switch the use of the ledger on and off to have the grid active or not. It should thus be off by default to minimize the confusion.

Reaper could offer a function to 'auto-arrange' the plugins and sends on a grid to line up identical ones. Someone might say "But you didn't need it so far". I will use it when I have it, because it made sense to do so.

Functions could be created to "enable and arm all parameters in slot X of selected tracks". We'd script it.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 05:08 AM   #43
mpl

I'm in for only graphic case of that feature, otherwise it can damage a lot of things in reaper or SWS or current scripts.

So if Devs will implement something like "I_MCPVERTSHIFT" parameter for tracks which represent how much slots should be skipped before showing next FX , it could be good. Further native actions or future scripts can respect that parameter, otherwise a lot of FX index based behaviour can be broken.
mpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 11:13 AM   #44
airon

It's primary use is for instantiation and overview.

An instantiation example:
  1. You select 10 tracks

2. You right-click on an insert slot in the mixer, maybe with a modifier. Old Protools solved this by having a second clickable field in the insert area. We've got right-click.

3. A list pops up to let you select a plugin for that virtual slot. The plugin populates that virtual slot.

It doesn't have to be very fast either. It's about precision setup to save you from instantiating the same plugin in the same virtual slot for every track. A simple time saver.

On the other hand if this messes Reaper up too much, it's not worth it. Back to the drawing board.

Here are the problems I wanted to solve with this mixer grid.
  • Setting up plugins on a large number of existing tracks without resorting to track templates. EXISTING tracks.

Why existing tracks ? Because material coming in via AAF/OMF/PT/other stuff is often on already named tracks. I just want to save time.

So, I don't instantiate plugins on tracks. In fact I almost never do, because it's so slow for mixing projects and I have so many tracks.

I use one of the prepared tracks, duplicate it, rename the dozens of tracks, colour them and then SHIFT the material from the source tracks to the pre-prepared tracks.

• Deleting/replacing plugins across selected tracks

• Improved overview in the mixer view for larger sessions.

My reference is old Protools for this. I haven't missed it a lot, because I use colour to tell tracks apart. This was to be an additional graphical indicator of where I was in the session.

As much as I'd like a helping hand for those tasks, the mixer grid might be a good idea, if it can fit in to Reaper in an intuitive way without breaking stuff. Otherwise I don't see the point either.
Old 02-23-2018, 03:01 PM   #45
bFooz

Quote:
Originally Posted by doppelganger View Post
To be afraid to break few scripts or sws actions is not the way to make program better.
Yea, reading something like this always makes me feel better.
bFooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 10:43 AM   #46
mpl

Quote:
To be afraid to break few scripts or sws actions is not the way to make program better.
But a good way to loose users, frustrated by broken actions they used for years, careless about why it happened (even if it make host "better").
mpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 11:07 PM   #47
airon

Pros and cons.

So , Reaper takes a tiny bit more planning when setting up sessions. The cons of a slot system may outweigh the pros right now.

We’ve learned to live with it. Cockos might improve the system one day. Let’s not waste too much time on such matters. We’ve presented all the arguments. I’m moving on.