Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 12-13-2017, 03:44 AM   #1
abhijeetsingh1993
Human being with feelings

Default A suggestion for developers of REAPER

Hi developers & users!

REAPER is so capable of doing almost anything, but not everything. I mean, developers can make REAPER, actually the best DAW in the world. Developers can add ALL (possible) features from all other DAWs (like Cubase, Studio One, Logic, Pro Tools etc.) to REAPER.

I am not saying to make REAPER bloated (like Cubase?), but to smartly, add all the required & necessary features, which are only available in other DAWs, but not in REAPER. I (and perhaps, most of the users) don't mind REAPER's setup goes up to 50 MB, or even 100 MB, and price $100 for discounted personal licence IF all the features of other mainstream DAWs will be add in 'our' REAPER DAW.

Of course, none of us want VSTi instruments, because there are plenty of VSTi available like Kontakt, Nexus and all. And it only make REAPER bloated, because most of us use 3rd party VSTi plugins, anyway. I just want that lots of people are confused between DAWs just because some DAWs have that feature, other DAWS have others. But if REAPER can have all the features of all the DAWs, then I am sure, most of the people will switch & purchase REAPER.

One thing Cockos really should do is to discontinue/end the unlimited trial version period. Because of this, many people just use the free version forever without purchasing REAPER. This will only give lose to Cockos developers. They can add any type of limitation in their trial version, like :
1) Run full version for only 30 or 60 days, and after that, REAPER won't run at all
2) Disable import/export, open & save feature
3) Add a noise for 5-10 seconds after every 1 minute
4) Tracks limitation, like the trial version can only create 2-3 tracks.
and so on...
NO NEED TO ADD DONGLES for full version, HAHA. That really is annoying.
Most of the people think REAPER is either open-source, or it is a free DAW. But it isn't, actually. And that's why, many of the people don't consider REAPER as a serious DAW, which is absolutely wrong.

I am really concerned about the future & development of REAPER. And after listening what Gibson did to Cakewalk Sonar (this DAW is no more, it is discontinued), I am little bit worried about REAPER.

Cockos should change their licencing model. They can increase their price up to $99 or $100 for their discounted personal licence. Because even $100 is less in compare to what we get from REAPER. And they should add features from the other DAWs. Some features I can mention, like :

1) Right-click -> Show Automation Lane (inspired by FL Studio & Ableton Live) (also, I am so so so impressed by automation items in REAPER, they are really lovely, thanks for that!) - with this, we can immediately show automation of any button/knob/slider)

2) Scroll-able Mixer - like in Sonar DAW - we can view the full mixer in just half screen by scrolling inside the mixer

3) I expect a decent-good looking theme for REAPER v6. Not a graphic-hungry theme (like of Studio One, Logic etc.). REAPER v5 theme is good, but there are many things, in which v4 theme is better than v5. Maybe, developers can make a hybrid theme of v4 & v5 in v6. To be honest, theme-wise, Ableton Live & FL Studio are really good. Their themes are crystal clear & sharp. Mixcraft has a buggy theme, which I also don't like.

4) For small screen computers/laptop, Sonar DAW is actually good. It can resize any plugin (for example, Melda Production plugins). If the plugin window is too long, then it goes out of the screen, normally, in any DAW, even in REAPER. I don't know why it happens to Melda plugins only, it doesn't happens to Kontakt plugin. I have a 15.6 inch laptop and Kontakt plugin go out of screen, but REAPER can easily resize it, so that I can scroll inside plugin without any problem. But Sonar, it can even resize Melda plugins easily, which REAPER can't. Maybe, there is an issue with REAPER? Please, check it.
abhijeetsingh1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 03:57 AM   #2
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijeetsingh1993 View Post
I am really concerned about the future & development of REAPER. And after listening what Gibson did to Cakewalk Sonar (this DAW is no more, it is discontinued), I am little bit worried about REAPER.
You shouldn't be. Cockos is not a corporate venture like Gibson is, they don't respond to "the man". They do what they want to do, they are their own bosses. If some day Justin gets tired of Reaper, he will likely make it open source...

Which means they won't be changing their licensing model, either, so forget about that happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijeetsingh1993 View Post
One thing Cockos really should do is to discontinue/end the unlimited trial version period. Because of this, many people just use the free version forever without purchasing REAPER. This will only give lose to Cockos developers.

Wrooooooong! This sort of no limitation demo actually INCREASES the userbase of paid customers, believe it or not!
EvilDragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 04:13 AM   #3
X-Raym

People complains about few things in REAPER, but it is the first time I see someone complaining about it being too affordable and ask for more limitations.

You have to know that a lot of users there get atrracted by the openness of Cockos. It is not Open Source be we feel respected and not locked (projects are not encrypted, we can download it from anywhere etc)

Consider that time needed too develop restrictions can be taken to develop audio stuffs instead.

Cockos business model is indeed unusual but dont worry, as far as we can guess from the updates release rate, they are just fine :P
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 09:44 PM   #4
JamesPeters

Wow. That's a bunch of baseless assumptions, while also saying "everyone shares my opinions".

Feel free to speak for yourself, but remember you are only speaking for yourself.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 10:57 PM   #5
dtr0q

Bigger userbase means more people buying licenses, even if they use it for free for long time. And Reaper is a kind of product that gets more attractive the longer you use it. With such affordable price, not buying usually means you are short of finances and\or don't know if you really need it. But if you get hooked on REAPER over time, you will eventually buy it one day.
I own two other DAWs but was playing with REAPER from time to time for few years until it became my fav and finally I've bought it.
dtr0q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 01:07 AM   #6
inarisound

lul I saw your post on Ask Justin... and was giggling then, and now giggling here xD

Wow...
You got everything wrong.

1) Reaper is the first DAW I actually bought.
Before Reaper I've been "testing" other DAWs and was not able to buy them because I didn't know if I needed them for such high pricing.

Because Reaper was so cheap and open about their development I bought it after the trial version. I am proud to have license for it, and will update them as soon as V6 will come out, because of the respect and affordable tag for non business ppl.

2) Yes Reaper has lot's of flaws but in one year they improved so much that other DAWs can't do in a decade.

I came from Ableton, Pro Tools, Logic, Digital Performer background .... and can tell you this, you ether just a fresh Reaper user or really don't dig into the DAW and how it works.

Lots of stuff you mentioned ether was implemented or not needed because of extra functionality we have (hotkeys, custom actions/macros, scripts).

Now the only thing that I can agree 100% is that Reaper is U G L Y.
I would much love some improvement in GUI but I have a really awesome Imperial theme by White Tie so (((almost))) no complains here.

suggestion declined.
inarisound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 06:22 AM   #7
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by inarisound View Post
U G L Y
This of course is a very personal matter of taste.

And OTOH hiring a versatile designer and doubling the price does not seem appropriate to me.

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 07:10 AM   #8
ferropop

Area Selection (even in its simplest form) would turn the Flinstone-mobile into the Ferrari it is.
ferropop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 09:34 AM   #9
deeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferropop View Post
Area Selection (even in its simplest form) would turn the Flinstone-mobile into the Ferrari it is.
it is out of topic : ) anyway it's correct . .. "Usain Bolt is afraid of rats"

I have made a video with old cubase 5 showing range selection:
https://streamable.com/7nrby

maybe i should put in the area selection showcase?
what do you think?
deeb is online now   Reply With Quote