Old 05-03-2010, 08:33 AM   #1
Publicradio
Human being with feelings

Default Drum sampler with Reaper?

Hello,

I'm moving from FL Studio where I used the FPC for drums. I would set up 5 or so channels for drums, put FPC on the first channel and send different sounds (snare, hat) to different channels for panning and things.

Now that I'm on Reaper, I can't use FPC and I need a replacement. It doesn't have to be MPC-like necessarily but I should be a basic drum/trigger sampler as opposed to a full-featured sampler for virtual instruments.

I need to be able to choke triggers to close hi hats, I want the triggers to be velocity-sensitive, and I would like to be able to send individual triggers to other tracks if I need to for master reverb and things like that. I would like to have either a lot of pads (32 to 64) or the ability to run multiple instances of the vst if necessary.

I don't need a lot of bells and whistles after that. My question is twofold:

1) What's a good drum/trigger sampler for Reaper? I've been trying Linplug/Computer Music's cm-202 and it keeps crashing Reaper. Free or cheap is preferable but I'd like to hear all suggestions.

2) The CM-202 has different outputs you can select but it's unclear to me how you move these outputs to different channels. The VST I end up settling on should have sends and I need to know how to actually make them send.

I'm interested in hearing any alternate method of triggering drum samples. Thanks a lot.
Publicradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 08:37 AM   #2
Publicradio

Sorry it's an SR-202.
Old 05-03-2010, 11:06 AM   #3
technogremlin

Check the link in my signature below
technogremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 12:31 PM   #4
Publicradio

hey technogremlin, in loopazoid there are four options for audio outputs: 1/2, 3/4, 5/6, and 7/8. How do I send these to different tracks in reaper? Thanks.
Old 05-15-2010, 12:37 PM   #5
technogremlin

Same as the explanation for SR202: add VSTi on channel, then accept the window that suggests to create the additional channels.

I still have to setup a track-template for the plugins I'm selecting. When I get to those I will add them to my freeware topic
technogremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 01:48 PM   #6
plamuk

poise, poise poise. reasonably priced, straightforward, and badass.

http://www.anothersmallclue.com/poise.php
plamuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 04:08 PM   #7
TonE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Publicradio View Post
Hello,

I'm moving from FL Studio where I used the FPC for drums. I would set up 5 or so channels for drums, put FPC on the first channel and send different sounds (snare, hat) to different channels for panning and things.

Now that I'm on Reaper, I can't use FPC and I need a replacement. It doesn't have to be MPC-like necessarily but I should be a basic drum/trigger sampler as opposed to a full-featured sampler for virtual instruments.

I need to be able to choke triggers to close hi hats, I want the triggers to be velocity-sensitive, and I would like to be able to send individual triggers to other tracks if I need to for master reverb and things like that. I would like to have either a lot of pads (32 to 64) or the ability to run multiple instances of the vst if necessary.

I don't need a lot of bells and whistles after that. My question is twofold:

1) What's a good drum/trigger sampler for Reaper? I've been trying Linplug/Computer Music's cm-202 and it keeps crashing Reaper. Free or cheap is preferable but I'd like to hear all suggestions.

2) The CM-202 has different outputs you can select but it's unclear to me how you move these outputs to different channels. The VST I end up settling on should have sends and I need to know how to actually make them send.

I'm interested in hearing any alternate method of triggering drum samples. Thanks a lot.
use fl studio as vsti with 16 stereo outputs inside reaper.
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 09:03 PM   #8
themixtape

Quote:
Originally Posted by plamuk View Post
poise, poise poise. reasonably priced, straightforward, and badass.

http://www.anothersmallclue.com/poise.php
Old thread indeed, but yes. Poise ALL day long. Poise sales have been suspended in 2018, but if you look hard enough you can find it. It's worth hunting down.

Also, the FL Studio as plugin thing is not the worst idea... Poise blows away the FPC though.
themixtape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 05:06 AM   #9
mccrabney

rs5k over poise now, i think.

sure wish its params/envelope was easier to automate, though. since we can't set automation min/max endpoints in REAPER, there's no sensible way to use AI to automate the attack parameter. you have to zoom your envelope height massively to get workable values.
mccrabney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 05:07 AM   #10
mccrabney

oh, nevermind, this is just another thread from ancient history that TonE resurrected for no sensible reason
mccrabney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 12:19 PM   #11
themixtape

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccrabney View Post
rs5k over poise now, i think.

sure wish its params/envelope was easier to automate, though. since we can't set automation min/max endpoints in REAPER, there's no sensible way to use AI to automate the attack parameter. you have to zoom your envelope height massively to get workable values.
I don't know. I still think Poise is easier to automate/chop stuff than with RS5k, at least for hip-hop purposes... even with MPL's script
themixtape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 12:31 PM   #12
TonE

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccrabney View Post
oh, nevermind, this is just another thread from ancient history that TonE resurrected for no sensible reason
10 years later the answer is coming in this forum, hehe. Funny, sometimes.
Time might change, but not content and ideas, and that's all about here.
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote