Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 10-27-2017, 06:31 AM   #1
G-Sun
Human being with feelings

Default Your thoughts for Reaper v6

So,
the numbers are ticking towards a Reaper v.6
It's on the horizon somewhere.

If you where CEO for the dev-team,
what would you focus on for next major version?
G-Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 06:46 AM   #2
dug dog

I'd maintain support for Windows XP! LOL. (Self interest here.)
dug dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 06:49 AM   #3
citizenkeith

ARA support would be a nice addition!
citizenkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 07:14 AM   #4
suleiman

Get to rs5k already.

If goddamn sforzando and kontakt can have dfd why the hell cant rs5k.

And the little matter of better round robin implementation where i dont have to use a table made by the legend that is Tod.

And the little bug in rs5k which saves the whole sample set's waves into the project folder.

Do it, and i swear i will blow your mind.

Salamat
suleiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 07:30 AM   #5
Winfield

What the (sulei)man said - upping the ante on RS5K would be awesome.

-W
Winfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 07:42 AM   #6
EvilDragon

Articulation management, piano roll and event list visible at the same time, ARA, making majority of GUI WALTERable.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 12:27 PM   #7
srdmusic

Default +1 Need this so Melodyne doesn't crash anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkeith View Post
ARA support would be a nice addition!
+1 Need this so Melodyne doesn't crash anymore
srdmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 05:22 AM   #8
ivansc

Default Logic. Really???

I recently did a whole album in Logic Pro 9 & also had a look at Pro X. Cluttered, awkward, Not easy to split stuff out onto two screens... but I bet most of my criticisms are because I didnt spend enough time or delve deep enough whilst working on that album. I read the manual, bought a groove 3 basic tutorial & joined toe 2 biggest Logic forums and that was it. The guy I was working with had used |Logic for years but still knew less than I did.

Maybe its a case of NOT using a small retina screen when comparing Reaps5 with Logic?
Old 10-28-2017, 10:03 AM   #9
Alxi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dug dog View Post
I'd second that
Alxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 10:07 AM   #10
mamazai

1. Focus on Pro Tools, Studio One and others.
2. Capture stronge features.
3. Integrate and redesign Reaper.
4. Focus on feedback.

+ Maybe some virtual instrument integration or creation.
+ Maybe some integration, for example Melodyne or other powerful toys

- Standard non customizable, high resolution professional gui design
- Logarithmic, advanced meters ( See the Pro Tools meters )
- Quality Fx instead of js or script.
- Hardware emulation plugins. ( See the new studio one 1176 style comp )
- Pt Style playlist
- Pt style editing tools.
- Pt style sends, follw main pan, etc
- Advanced ruler
- Other Pro Daw feature

Last edited by mamazai; 10-28-2017 at 10:25 AM.
mamazai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 10:29 AM   #11
EvilDragon

Half of that won't happen
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 10:32 AM   #12
Reno.thestraws

Quote:
BTW I think that natively implementing SWS wouldn't actually benefit anything.
Seriously, SWS has some GREAT FEATURE!

Snapshots
resources
cycle action editor
region playlist
Live config
Groove tool
contextual toolbars

But some of these are nearly abandoned

example, what about contextual toolbars and Automation items?

I think that we will never see this context update

These great features in the hand of Justin and schwa would be just PURE GOLD and will be more up to date with REAPER evolution
Old 10-28-2017, 10:35 AM   #13
Reno.thestraws

Quote:
PLease No!

Quote:
- Pt Style playlist
Please no!

PT is antique and very very very restrictive

I understand that a lot of PT refugees comes to REAPER but please, don't make REAPER like others DAWs (especially PT)
Old 10-28-2017, 12:46 PM   #14
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamazai View Post
... redesign Reaper....
Are you (unsuccessfully) trying to be funny ?????

Quote:
Other Pro Daw feature
Even more unsuccessful fun-making Feature Requests that contain the word "Pro" (in the sense of "professional user" not "ProTools") need to be discarded as inappropriate right away !
-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 10-28-2017 at 12:51 PM.
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 11:54 AM   #15
bozmillar

I would love to see a better interface for video FX. Right now, the video fx are in a state of showing that stuff can be done, but that it's a lot of work to do it.

Nothing has sped up my video workflow faster than being able to cut video in reaper. It's probably just because I'm so used to the workflow in reaper that doing video just seems so much faster than anything I've ever used elsewhere.

But simple FX like color correction, titling, etc are clunky. I'm not familiar enough with the video world to know whether there are standardized video effects like there are VST plugins.

I feel like video is still in its prototype stage, but for me personally, the workflow of reaper has made video editing easier enough for me to justify working around all the quirks. If those quirks were fixed, it would be the ultimate video editor for simple videos.
Old 11-12-2017, 05:11 PM   #16
soundeziner

Quote:
2. Capture stronge features.
3. Integrate and redesign Reaper.
4. Focus on feedback.

+ Maybe some virtual instrument integration or creation.
+ Maybe some integration, for example Melodyne or other powerful toys

- Standard non customizable, high resolution professional gui design
- Logarithmic, advanced meters ( See the Pro Tools meters )
- Quality Fx instead of js or script.
- Hardware emulation plugins. ( See the new studio one 1176 style comp )
- Pt Style playlist
- Advanced ruler
- Other Pro Daw feature
Hell yes! Discounting PT as "restrictive" (as many non-PT using Reaper users do) is to dismiss the many strong workflow benefits Avid/ Digidesign developed over decades of development. I'd pay real money for a better ruler and more advanced editing tools like PT has. Combine that with a sensible GUI that obeys OS platform standards and you'll start to have a strong, real contender.
Old 11-13-2017, 01:28 AM   #17
lolilol1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundeziner View Post
Hell yes! Discounting PT as "restrictive" (as many non-PT using Reaper users do) is to dismiss the many strong workflow benefits Avid/ Digidesign developed over decades of development. I'd pay real money for a better ruler and more advanced editing tools like PT has. Combine that with a sensible GUI that obeys OS platform standards and you'll start to have a strong, real contender.
LOL the requests mamazai did won't happen because they aren't well thought out tbh, and all they show is he didn't take the time to learn to use Reaper properly and he doesn't understand the philosophy behind it. Plus concerning plugins, there are lots of free plugins out there that do the job if a stock one doesn't suit his taste.
Besides, with a little effort, you can make it behave a lot like PT. I've seen a stream where the user was starting Reaper for the first time after 10 years of PT, and was able to make the mouse work exactly like PT in a couple of hours. He never looked back.

Last edited by lolilol1975; 11-13-2017 at 09:09 AM.
lolilol1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 03:16 AM   #18
drichard

I guess everyone's workflow is different, because I think PT is far inferior to Reaper, and I was a PT user for five years, while I've only been on Reaper for a year. I can work far faster in Reaper, and I don't like editing in PT one bit.

As for the GUI complying with OS standards you must be on a Mac. PT for PC is very non-standard in just about every way it interacts with the OS, from how it addresses audio drivers (the ASIO implementation is awful) to to UI conventions. Don't even get me started on the AAX plugin platform.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundeziner View Post
drichard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 12:41 PM   #19

Quote:
Ditto. I use 7, but but I feel ya. I think it's stupid that they phase out perfectly good OS and kinda force u to upgrade, which takes a faster computer to run the updated OS. I remember when 1 gig of ram was considered alot...
4140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 12:48 PM   #20

Re sizable gui on stock effects and we'll... Sexier stick effects, or at least be able to skin them. Low in the list tho, reaper is amazing as is

Last edited by 4140; 11-09-2017 at 12:54 PM.
Old 11-09-2017, 01:10 PM   #21
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4140 View Post
Re sizable gui on stock effects and we'll...
They are already resizable.
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 02:09 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
They are already resizable.
They are? I just know that when I pull up say, an stock eq, when I pull on the corner of the window the window changes size but the effect doesn't, just gets covered up.. Is there a setting for this?
Old 12-09-2018, 11:21 AM   #23
nocturn

Quote:
yes! or no, why? im already 2 years behind par, so even if they stop now, im used to nothing new coming out. this is it, i might find old stuff i missed but im out of the plugin addiction! but thats not why im in 32bit winxp. why did i migrate BACK to xp32 from win7 64 after a year?
copper and tin. the things you dont have in your post 2k interface that sounds like glass shards but youve nothing to compare it with anymore, so you dont know. least nothing youre willing to put in the effort to check. my old pci card, destroys metric halos, smashes apogees, anything ive tested so far. so it will go unnamed. wasnt cheap back then either, unbuyable now. and it never got 2k/vista drivers...and theres no way around it. if i want butter, its xp32. if i want something harsh and irritating that seems broken, i go 64bit stalkerware windows 13, abelton live, deaf people with record deals, emule-ation...thats why. woah rant, sorry!

so reaper! theres so many tiny nearly unnoticeable issues with reaper that if unchecked, can set you back heavy and cause real heartbreak. for example, did you know the default rendering format in project preferences does whatever it wants? default doesnt stick, i have to reload my screensets everytime and even then... thats why my stems were different from thier parents. or hows your timing? how are you compensating for the handful of samples "glue" and loop misses? no, youre arent loosing your feel, reaper is loosing your groove. almost looks like its on purpose. and how is anyone recording midi without that little PDC option checked off? speaking of groove, anyone get the swing to work with audio? all together, its like its made to make you f up, loose ALOT of time, and work with a bit of paranoia going all the time... those are just 3 off the top of my head that have not changed since the beginning.

i always had this feeling that once you buy a licence, the config changes to "logical" and "ordered" and stops sabotaging you every 5mins. right now, after almost 10 years of using reaper, im still not sure i have everything ticked off and everyday im on these and other forums searching for the next tiny thing killing my projects, workflow, ideas, magic. im yet to render a 1:1 version of a project. always sounds wierd. so now i always record my 2 tracks, live, off the analog outs.

such an amazing program, and ive been around. nothing compares to its flexibility but its like its stretched too far, the buttons popped, and we just threw on a sweatshirt.

--please fix the fxbrowser (subfolders and no disappearing structures ppl spend a year creating. no one needed, needs "smart" folders)

---please fix the media player (selections get inserted in sync, as theyre heard through preview. pretty useless subprogram without it, dont know why they added databases instead. but, getting used to that too.

---please organise all the tiny, squeezed in options all over place, ESPECIALLY THE IMPORTANT ONES. so easy to miss so many things. why would anyone be freezing/rendering stems as mp3s?!

theres another theory i have, that if you over saturate a market with plugins and hype audio production until everyone thinks thier an engineer, you dont want them to successfully produce records. you want them to always, always and forever feel theyre missing something, never sounding "good".
i know reapers the effort of one millionaire hippie, trying a different approach, giving us seemily professional software to try for free. but maybe thats the front and its just those cia bastards trying to make me loose my mind in this trumann show of a 21century that has no happy ending and you die alone.

cause thats another thing: watch no one relates to what im saying. "start loop at bar dude" "set it to samples, not beats" NO, none of you sisters solutions work. weve been through this, pick any of those issues i mentioned and go read the dead threads where you didnt have a clue either. thats reaper. huge community, lots of philosophy, lots of gibber jabber, no music, no organization and the problems that causes get swept under the rug. lets hope reaper 6 runs...
nocturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 08:33 AM   #24
drichard

Making it easier to add metadata for DDP export. I know it can be done using markers, but creating CD Text is cryptic and laborious. Reaper is an excellent mastering tool being used by an increasing number of mastering engineers, and making DDP export easier would be a help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Sun View Post
So,
the numbers are ticking towards a Reaper v.6
It's on the horizon somewhere.

If you where CEO for the dev-team,
what would you focus on for next major version?
drichard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 01:36 PM   #25
geoffroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by drichard View Post
Making it easier to add metadata for DDP export. I know it can be done using markers, but creating CD Text is cryptic and laborious. Reaper is an excellent mastering tool being used by an increasing number of mastering engineers, and making DDP export easier would be a help.
I second that
Old 12-05-2018, 11:31 PM   #26
Rangler

It's all in the details. Numerical input in simplified plugin view and mix knob.

ReaXcomp with nicer sounding crossover and more predictable gain reduction.

RSO5 with easy routing and RR.

Quadruple resolution for Macs.
Old 10-27-2017, 12:19 PM   #27
Jeffsounds

I wish Reaper would make young people like better music than what they do and maybe along the way, Reaper can make Taylor Twift go away...

<OK, couldn't really think of anything else>

Old 10-27-2017, 01:52 PM   #28
juliansader

The Feature Request to end all other Feature Requests!

Make some modules of REAPER open-source -- particularly the MIDI editor and any other modules that don't contain unique intellectual property.

Then the community can quickly fix all the lingering bugs and implement some of the easier FRs.

Justin and Schwa can focus their time and skills on developing amazing new features that require expert programming.
juliansader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 01:58 PM   #29
Eddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliansader View Post

Make some modules of REAPER open-source -- particularly the MIDI editor and any other modules that don't contain unique intellectual property.

Then the community can quickly fix all the lingering bugs and implement some of the easier FRs.

Justin and Schwa can focus their time and skills on developing amazing new features that require expert programming.

definitely!!!!
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 09:23 AM   #30
thevisi0nary

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliansader View Post

Please this.
thevisi0nary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 09:53 AM   #31
SubbaseDnB

one of my wishes is a "dedicated mastering view,sort of like the project page in S1

user mrmjp has some good thoughts about what that could need

in my post here

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....97#post1904197
SubbaseDnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 05:03 PM   #32
Archimedes

Default Upload data in the event of crashes

On restart from crash,
(a) Upload the system configuration
(b) Upload the crash dump file
(c) If UNDO is enabled, upload the last UNDO file
(d) If Backups are enabled, upload the last backup file
Archimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 05:17 PM   #33
Archimedes

Default Rendering & Robust render related preferences

(1) (see preceding post)

(2) In addition to existing default paths in preferences => General => Paths
(a) Specify defaults for rendering stems
(b) When specified, render master to default render location, and stems to default
stem location

(3) In the Render dialog, Render as
(a) Post Fader, Post pan, with Sends
(b) Post Fader, Post pan, no sends
(c) Post Fader, Pre Pan, with Sends
(d) Post Fader, Pre Pan, no sends
(e) Prefader, pre-pan, with FX
(f) Prefader, pre-pan, pre FX

I imagine automated items complicate this list - there might be many other possibilities. So rather than a bunch of check boxes in the dialog, perhaps a better approach is a matrix, in the same form as Track Manager, that allows the user to select options for each track when rendering stems

(4) When Rendering Stems, and the rendered item(s) are to be included in the project, and the stems were previously rendered and currently occupy tracks that were created to contain them, and the user chooses "Overwrite", then delete the media item in the appropriate track, delete the previously rendered file, render the new stem(s), and include them in the tracks that previously contained the previously rendered stems.
Old 10-30-2017, 05:22 PM   #34
Archimedes

Default Spectral Editing

I was not, nor am I a fan of the Spectral features in Reaper. I use Adobe Audition for spectral editing, and it is far superior to the current scope of Reaper's implementation. However, since you've gone ahead and undertaken this, you might as well add features similar to Adobe Audition, such as the spot healing brush, the ability to view the waveform above the spectral display, etc., to your implementation of Spectral Editing.

Last edited by Archimedes; 10-30-2017 at 05:50 PM.
Old 10-30-2017, 05:26 PM   #35
Archimedes

Default Text Box Parser

For text boxes that take dB as input (Send Volume, some of the Reaper FX such as Hysteresis in ReaGate, others) ignore duplicate leading signs and just take the sign closest to the real number being hand-entered by the user. On pressing Return, truncate the expression such that any duplicate leading signs or other garbage are eliminated. And don't apply the value until after a valid value has been entered and Return has been pressed. I've noticed that, while changing the value, and before pressing return, the value I'm entering will be applied. If I'm wearing headphones and have deleted the contents of that text box and am thinking about the value I want to enter, the volume on a send goes to 0 dB and it blows my ears out. This is not good.

Last edited by Archimedes; 11-04-2017 at 07:15 PM.
Old 10-30-2017, 05:34 PM   #36
Archimedes

Default MIDI Editor

There is still an issue with (for instance) a velocity bar up against the left most margin of the viewable area of the MIDI editor. I have not been able to touch/hover/select that bar without scrolling the corresponding note further to the body of the editor. If a bar in the envelope area is visible, it should be selectable and able to be altered.

For parameter envelopes in general, it would be nice to either change the scale from a linear scale to something else so that envelope points below -30 dB or so can be easily viewed and manipulated.

For Pitch changes on MIDI items, I have not found a way to return to 0 change without adding a bar, going to properties, and setting the value to 8192. If I right click on the bar, it vanishes. That's unexpected. So I <ctrl>-F2 and see the Value text box at 8192, or some integer. Why isn't this expressed in cents, or octaves, or some other measure? I would like to see this in +/- cents around 0, with 0 meaning no change in pitch. This entire function needs work, imho.

Last edited by Archimedes; 10-30-2017 at 05:59 PM.
Old 11-06-2017, 02:27 AM   #37
compoundz

Smooth Scrolling for Mixer View would be nice.
compoundz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 09:33 AM   #38
Area52

ARA (Audio Random Access)support! To me that's the only thing missing in Reaper.

More info on ARA:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARA_Audio_Random_Access
Area52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 06:43 AM   #39
Archimedes

Default View Audio Track Waveform(s) in the MIDI Editor

I would also like to be able to select Audio tracks as aligned background images in the MIDI editor, in order to help me align live material with MIDI-related material. I don't want to interact with the Audio data - I just want to be able to see it in order to help me position MIDI notes.

I know Ed (Evil Dragon) has shown a method for doing this by overlaying the MIDI editor window over the arranger. But that's a hack and requires a user to position one window over another (no offense to Ed).
Old 11-07-2017, 09:09 AM   #40
cfillion

Have you tried the MIDI Inline Editor?
cfillion is offline   Reply With Quote