Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Color Themes and Icon Sets

Old 02-05-2018, 04:46 PM   #1
Metrobot
Human being with feelings

Default Is it possible to set the colours of individual MIDI note lanes in the MIDI editor?

Hello.
I've recently been auditioning Reaper (for about a week) and I love the custom MIDI note names feature available in the piano roll. It's very useful if you are using non-12 tone temperaments to be able to label each note as you like. My question: Is it possible to change the colours of the individual MIDI note lanes in the MIDI editor so that some sets of notes can be defined as blue while others are red, black...etc? This would allow for a scale with 19 tones to have a pattern of naturals and accidentals akin to that of the traditional piano keyboard It would help with workflow a bit. I checked the theme editor and it only allows you to set colour for the white notes and accidentals. I've seen some of the incredible theaming that some users have done so I was hoping there would be some way to do it and that this was the place to ask.
Thank you
-Matt
Metrobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 05:43 AM   #2
DarkStar

Hello Metrobot and welcome to these forums. You'll find many helpful people here and a lot of useful information. Make sure that you:
Individually coloured keys - not that I know of. You can have 12 different colours for the notes in an octave, but they are repeated each octave. Select "Pitch" is the Colour drop-down menu at the bottom of the MIDI Editor (you may need to make it wider to see that menu).
Old 02-06-2018, 08:37 AM   #3
Metrobot

Thanks for the welcome Dark Star.
Those Kenny Gioia videos are some of the best tutorials...really well organized.
To bad the notes lanes can't be changed past the octave. But select pitch can still help. I was hoping someone might know some sort of clever graphics import etc. Not a big deal. The ability to hide the piano keys and individually name the notes is already a massive game changer for me. I hope that someday DAW piano roll editors will be able to do what the Melodyne piano roll can do. Also, It would be great if MIDI editors could be visible and accessible directly on each midi track in the arrange page instead of just being available in a separate MIDI editor window. This can be done in pro tools and Ardour. Having said that I definitely prefer Reaper's MIDI editor to logic's which is a mess. Trying to program many different intricate MIDI parts in separate windows or having the notes piled on top of each other has never made any sense to me since only MIDI is treated this way. Audio and score parts go from top to bottom and lining up edits is easy to see. I've only started scratching the surface with Reaper but it looks pretty awesome so far.
Cheers and kind regards
-Matt
Old 02-06-2018, 08:43 AM   #4
Swamp Ape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metrobot View Post
Also, It would be great if MIDI editors could be visible and accessible directly on each midi track in the arrange page instead of just being available in a separate MIDI editor window. This can be done in pro tools and Ardour.
You can do this. Just select the item and press E.
Swamp Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 09:24 AM   #5
Metrobot

Excellent!..thanks Swamp Ape...Is there a "named notes" view option in that as well?...not at my computer to check it out.
-Matt
Old 02-06-2018, 11:51 AM   #6
Swamp Ape

I don't think so, though I've been wrong before.
Swamp Ape is offline   Reply With Quote