Old 09-12-2018, 07:22 PM   #1
sjs94704
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Berkeley, CA USA
Posts: 599
Default Your advice on a theme .....

Now, before I continue, I know there are lots of people who might say, "Well, it depends on what you're trying to do", or, "It's all a matter of personal taste", etc. etc. etc....

Currently, for recording purposes, I am using the DEFAULT theme only because I like to use the SMALL FULL METERS and it seems this makes it easy to select that track layout.

To be honest, I have hardly looked at the themes much at all and is part of the reason that I am reaching out for some suggestions. So, as I just mentioned, I like to use the Small Full Meters, but, what I am also interested in is a theme that looks clean, very professional, easy to use track layout, EASY TO READ METERS as well as a little flair, spice and a bit on the fancy kind of decked-out look.

I asking for all of this for use for MIXING purposes just to jazz up the screen and have lots of fun with how cool things look just as much as mixing the music itself.

There are 4 themes that I already downloaded, so, I'm interested in ones other than these:

-Default_4.0
-Default_Commala_5_2016
-INQUASAR DARK MATTER V.1.0
-cLASSIC_1.X

So, I am looking for a few choices of themes that might be available for download from this website that you know of that I could consider that I could download for free from this website?

Thanks!

Steve
__________________
"What we do for ourselves dies with us. BUT, what we do for others and the world remains and is immortal "
"Every moment of your life, always do what is in your best interest"
sjs94704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 11:12 PM   #2
rst
Human being with feelings
 
rst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Vilnius, Lithuania
Posts: 50
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjs94704 View Post
Now, before I continue, I know there are lots of people who might say, "Well, it depends on what you're trying to do", or, "It's all a matter of personal taste", etc. etc. etc....

Currently, for recording purposes, I am using the DEFAULT theme only because I like to use the SMALL FULL METERS and it seems this makes it easy to select that track layout.

To be honest, I have hardly looked at the themes much at all and is part of the reason that I am reaching out for some suggestions. So, as I just mentioned, I like to use the Small Full Meters, but, what I am also interested in is a theme that looks clean, very professional, easy to use track layout, EASY TO READ METERS as well as a little flair, spice and a bit on the fancy kind of decked-out look.

I asking for all of this for use for MIXING purposes just to jazz up the screen and have lots of fun with how cool things look just as much as mixing the music itself.

There are 4 themes that I already downloaded, so, I'm interested in ones other than these:

-Default_4.0
-Default_Commala_5_2016
-INQUASAR DARK MATTER V.1.0
-cLASSIC_1.X

So, I am looking for a few choices of themes that might be available for download from this website that you know of that I could consider that I could download for free from this website?

Thanks!

Steve

You want too much, there is no such theme where every aspect is well thought through and implemented properly. Default theme is the most balanced. But you can always create one yourself
rst is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 05:23 AM   #3
sonicowl
Human being with feelings
 
sonicowl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 277
Default

Default theme is very good imo.
sonicowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 05:53 AM   #4
ReaperMadness
Human being with feelings
 
ReaperMadness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Great Lakes, N. A.
Posts: 1,727
Default

This is sort of an impossible ask - for us to suggest the perfect theme for you. Everyone's got there own set of preferences in their head. You need to try lots of themes to find THE perfect one for you. Or perhaps a handful that you prefer. That's what I have - a small handful to suit my own personal schizophrenia.

I can only suggest a few of the ones that I like. But of course, I'm not in YOUR head.

Lucas_LCS's "Imperial LCS"

Lucas_LCS's "LCS Ringer Pro"

The above two are based upon White Tie's beautiful original creations.

"Bespoke" (another beauty from White Tie's creative mind)

Lokasenna's "Default 5.0 Nitpicky Edition". Welll... actually, THIS is based in a White Tie theme, too. I suggest we all pause for a moment to give thanks to White Tie.

"Abbey Rd" by cubic13 is really a beauty.

"Solaris_LCS_Blue" (there's also a 'Grey' version). This is another mod by Lucas_LCS, this time of a great theme by Albert, another of our theming experts.

There's a new mod of RADO which looks pretty nice. The original is a much-loved 'classic' by (I think) Nick Moritz.

And these are just some of the themes that I prefer. There's a ton more. And lest I forget, l want to thank Lucas_LCS for his generosity in his updating and improvements to many of the classics & more. That's a lot of work and a lot of generosity. Thanks, Lucas.
__________________
Short duet w/ supporting vid:
= Loneliness Syndrome =

Last edited by ReaperMadness; 09-13-2018 at 06:48 AM.
ReaperMadness is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 09:00 AM   #5
Juca
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Itajaí - Santa Catarina - Brasil
Posts: 408
Default

Hydra 1.8 with the tracks colored is a beautifull and functional theme.
Juca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 09:16 AM   #6
karbomusic
Human being with feelings
 
karbomusic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 22,201
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rst View Post
You want too much, there is no such theme where every aspect is well thought through and implemented properly. Default theme is the most balanced. But you can always create one yourself
^This, I've tried I don't know how may themes and almost all fall short 'somewhere' functionally - also, once all the buttons etc. get moved around it slows me down and relearning them places a functional dependency on the theme itself which I don't need. FWIW I use blackmoore and/or analog dark, both of which are the default theme, just darker.
karbomusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 10:59 AM   #7
sjs94704
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Berkeley, CA USA
Posts: 599
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rst View Post
You want too much, there is no such theme where every aspect is well thought through and implemented properly. Default theme is the most balanced. But you can always create one yourself
Let me be more clear ......

I just listed some things I am looking for. Let me also be clear that I am looking for a theme to use NOT for recording, but, for mixing...

If I can get a referral to a theme that has most or part of what I am looking for that would be awesome.

If I had to pick two things, it would be that the track layout would just be jazzed up a bit and most of all that the meters would be easy to look at and read. I say this because some of the themes that I have seen, the meters were very minimal and I had to have a magnifying glass to see the meter numbers. I want the opposite!

Thanks...
__________________
"What we do for ourselves dies with us. BUT, what we do for others and the world remains and is immortal "
"Every moment of your life, always do what is in your best interest"
sjs94704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 01:13 PM   #8
rst
Human being with feelings
 
rst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Vilnius, Lithuania
Posts: 50
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjs94704 View Post
Let me be more clear ......

I just listed some things I am looking for. Let me also be clear that I am looking for a theme to use NOT for recording, but, for mixing...

If I can get a referral to a theme that has most or part of what I am looking for that would be awesome.

If I had to pick two things, it would be that the track layout would just be jazzed up a bit and most of all that the meters would be easy to look at and read. I say this because some of the themes that I have seen, the meters were very minimal and I had to have a magnifying glass to see the meter numbers. I want the opposite!

Thanks...
I understand you, but even these few requirements are challenge. Probably you can find several themes with track layouts and meters done the way you like, but most likely other details you didn't think about will appear done improperly or not in your taste (color schemes, shapes/order of elements etc.)
I tried to find theme with similar requirements as yours, but unfortunately I could not. Then tried to modify older default theme to my needs and noticed, that theme development is quite complex task. It is almost as normal software development. Reaper themes are skills demanding in graphics design, programming and need huge attention to detail. Thus there is very low chance to find really well developed theme. Most theme developers do not have all required skills. You may find theme with very good graphics, but poor walter programming, or opposite. All this variety of choice is just useless, unbelievable how many people waste their time developing half finished, sloppy, unusable themes. Out of hundreds themes there are only maybe 3-5 ones where most elements are done well both graphically and functionally. But even their developers usually lack time and persistence to keep them up to date, workout every minor detail and implement fixes.

So don't waste your time. Use default
But in case you still will search and find your ideal theme, please share your choice Would be interesting to check, maybe you will be more lucky
rst is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 04:06 PM   #9
poetnprophet
Human being with feelings
 
poetnprophet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 207
Default

I will recommend LCS Ringer. It has a lot of the "default" functionality but with some of the "coolness" of white tie. Easy to use, to read, nice looking MCP meters and a few options for TCP big metering. Not a drastic change to functions like white tie is.

Aside from that, you have Commala 2016, but there is a 2018 that is slightly different (better, IMO).

I like these because they have many useful layout options for TCP and MCP, which helps keep me organized.
poetnprophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 12:38 PM   #10
ReaDave
Human being with feelings
 
ReaDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Adelaide, South Australia (originally from Geelong)
Posts: 5,285
Default

I spent a considerable amount of time working on the meters in my theme. I too want something that is easy to read and interpret. There are multiple layout options for various meter sizes and display modes in this theme too.

I have an update coming shortly that will tweak a few minor things in the GUI such as bypassed and offline plugin text colour for better visibility but those aren't major changes.

The link to my theme is in my signature.
It has been a steadily developing work in progress now for around eight years.
ReaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 07:19 PM   #11
ReaperMadness
Human being with feelings
 
ReaperMadness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Great Lakes, N. A.
Posts: 1,727
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaDave View Post
I spent a considerable amount of time working on the meters in my theme. I too want something that is easy to read and interpret. There are multiple layout options for various meter sizes and display modes in this theme too.

I have an update coming shortly that will tweak a few minor things in the GUI such as bypassed and offline plugin text colour for better visibility but those aren't major changes.

The link to my theme is in my signature.
It has been a steadily developing work in progress now for around eight years.
You know, Dave. That's lookin' pretty nice, there. I'm gonna' have to try this out.

Nice work, and thanks.
__________________
Short duet w/ supporting vid:
= Loneliness Syndrome =
ReaperMadness is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 06:28 AM   #12
sjs94704
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Berkeley, CA USA
Posts: 599
Default

ReaDave,

I am a NOVICE user and so simply need the current version of the most basic version of your theme and am not sure which one I need. Can you provide a link to what I need?
__________________
"What we do for ourselves dies with us. BUT, what we do for others and the world remains and is immortal "
"Every moment of your life, always do what is in your best interest"
sjs94704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 11:19 PM   #13
Atlantis
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperMadness View Post
This is sort of an impossible ask - for us to suggest the perfect theme for you. Everyone's got there own set of preferences in their head. You need to try lots of themes to find THE perfect one for you. Or perhaps a handful that you prefer. That's what I have - a small handful to suit my own personal schizophrenia.

I can only suggest a few of the ones that I like. But of course, I'm not in YOUR head.

Lucas_LCS's "Imperial LCS"

Lucas_LCS's "LCS Ringer Pro"

The above two are based upon White Tie's beautiful original creations.

"Bespoke" (another beauty from White Tie's creative mind)

Lokasenna's "Default 5.0 Nitpicky Edition". Welll... actually, THIS is based in a White Tie theme, too. I suggest we all pause for a moment to give thanks to White Tie.

"Abbey Rd" by cubic13 is really a beauty.

"Solaris_LCS_Blue" (there's also a 'Grey' version). This is another mod by Lucas_LCS, this time of a great theme by Albert, another of our theming experts.

There's a new mod of RADO which looks pretty nice. The original is a much-loved 'classic' by (I think) Nick Moritz.

And these are just some of the themes that I prefer. There's a ton more. And lest I forget, l want to thank Lucas_LCS for his generosity in his updating and improvements to many of the classics & more. That's a lot of work and a lot of generosity. Thanks, Lucas.
I am working on a mod of LCS Ringer Pro I am going to call it satin.
Here is a link to the thread:

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=211198

Last edited by Atlantis; 09-15-2018 at 11:32 PM.
Atlantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 12:07 AM   #14
sjs94704
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Berkeley, CA USA
Posts: 599
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperMadness View Post
This is sort of an impossible ask - for us to suggest the perfect theme for you. Everyone's got there own set of preferences in their head.
Come on man!

I do sometimes find it very hard to ask questions on this site! I was not asking for anyone to pick that PERFECT theme for me! Not even close. If you look close at this entire thread, I did say at one point that I would like to find one that has SOME of what I originally asked for!

I am not going to get drawn into a back n' forth with anyone about this. This is just a simple statement of my opinion of how hard it can sometimes be to ask questions here because of these kinds of extreme responses from a few people who do not first ask questions to clarify what people really mean by what they are saying before making judgements such as me expecting the PERFECT theme !!

Once again, let me make attempt to be very clear that if I chose 2 things, it would be a GUI that is a bit more dressed up (some might use the word 'fancy') than the standard one that comes with Reaper. The second thing would be that the meters are easy to read. What I mean by that is that some meters do not show as much detail as others ( I hope I said that right for people to understand what I mean!!) and I want one that does have more detail display...

That's it!

I will be checking into some of the themes that have been suggested already.

It would certainly be nice if those few people who do make these kinds of judgements would be willing to take the time to clarify what people mean by their words before going off like this!

It will be interesting to see what happens next!
.
.
.
.
__________________
"What we do for ourselves dies with us. BUT, what we do for others and the world remains and is immortal "
"Every moment of your life, always do what is in your best interest"
sjs94704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 12:10 AM   #15
sjs94704
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Berkeley, CA USA
Posts: 599
Default

Just a refresher, here is what I said a long time ago!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjs94704 View Post
Let me be more clear ......

I just listed some things I am looking for. Let me also be clear that I am looking for a theme to use NOT for recording, but, for mixing...

If I can get a referral to a theme that has most or part of what I am looking for that would be awesome.
__________________
"What we do for ourselves dies with us. BUT, what we do for others and the world remains and is immortal "
"Every moment of your life, always do what is in your best interest"
sjs94704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 10:53 AM   #16
ReaperMadness
Human being with feelings
 
ReaperMadness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Great Lakes, N. A.
Posts: 1,727
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjs94704 View Post
Come on man!

I do sometimes find it very hard to ask questions on this site! I was not asking for anyone to pick that PERFECT theme for me! Not even close. If you look close at this entire thread, I did say at one point that I would like to find one that has SOME of what I originally asked for!

I am not going to get drawn into a back n' forth with anyone about this. This is just a simple statement of my opinion of how hard it can sometimes be to ask questions here because of these kinds of extreme responses from a few people who do not first ask questions to clarify what people really mean by what they are saying before making judgements such as me expecting the PERFECT theme !!

Once again, let me make attempt to be very clear that if I chose 2 things, it would be a GUI that is a bit more dressed up (some might use the word 'fancy') than the standard one that comes with Reaper. The second thing would be that the meters are easy to read. What I mean by that is that some meters do not show as much detail as others ( I hope I said that right for people to understand what I mean!!) and I want one that does have more detail display...

That's it!

I will be checking into some of the themes that have been suggested already.

It would certainly be nice if those few people who do make these kinds of judgements would be willing to take the time to clarify what people mean by their words before going off like this!

It will be interesting to see what happens next!
.
.
.
.
WTF. I try to help out a little and this is what I get?

After you get ahold of Copernicus and straighten him out, see about getting your dosage adjusted.
__________________
Short duet w/ supporting vid:
= Loneliness Syndrome =
ReaperMadness is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 11:53 AM   #17
White Tie
Pixel Pusher
 
White Tie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Blighty
Posts: 2,338
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjs94704 View Post
The second thing would be that the meters are easy to read. What I mean by that is that some meters do not show as much detail as others ( I hope I said that right for people to understand what I mean!!) and I want one that does have more detail display...
No, its not clear what you mean by 'more detailed'. Do you mean bigger? Because there are themes where the meter fills almost the entire MCP panel. Or do you mean the indicator text? Because that's not themed; Reaper draws them and we just get to choose the colours.
__________________
The House of White Tie
White Tie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.