Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Old 08-25-2018, 12:25 PM   #1
Fabian
Human being with feelings

Default Imploding MIDI items should not change channels...

I don't know if this has been mentioned already; I searched but could not find anything...

Do the following:
1. Create one track, add a MIDI item, add some notes, set the MIDI channel to 3 (or whatever)
2. Create another track, add a MIDI item, add some notes, set the MIDI channel to 15 (or whatever, but not what the above track was set to)
3. Select both items, right click, select Item processing > Implode items across tracks into item on one track

What happens:
The MIDI items are imploded into a single item, where all notes are set to the same MIDI channel as the original item.

What I expected:
The MIDI items to be imploded into a single item, but the MIDI channel property to be retained for the respective notes.

In addition, the notes that are imploded into the item do not show up in the MIDI editor!

This is Reaper v5.941/x64 on W10x64 v1803. Can someone please confirm.

Last edited by Fabian; 08-28-2018 at 12:11 PM. Reason: Made "MIDI channel" explicit to avoid confusion with other "channel"
Fabian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 12:11 PM   #2
Fabian

No-one but me experienced this? Strange...
Old 08-28-2018, 01:14 PM   #3
Eliseat

Hi Fabian,

I never did this before but I found out that imploding several midi items with different note channels just puts them together in one item and of course by keeping the same note channels. That's what i would expect. If you can't see the notes just take a look down at the bottom of the midi editor. There you find tabs of all the different notes per channel.

Hope that helps.
Eliseat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 11:09 AM   #4
Fabian

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, it seems your right about the channels, they are kept. I don't know how I messed that up.

But the note originally in the item imploded to still doesn't show. It plays, but does not show in the ME. You can see this happening here:

I have two items, one with a C4 note on MIDI channel 10, and one with a D4 note on MIDI channel 3. Then I implode them, and as you can see the D4 note is there, while the C4 note disappears. And with the filter set to All channel, or to channel 10, I still do not see the C4 note.

And why would the item imploded to (C4 Ch 10) have its name changed to the name (D4 Ch 3) of the item imploded into it? I would expect the name of the item imploded into to be kept.
Old 08-29-2018, 03:34 PM   #5
nofish

Here the result of imploding is two items lying on top of each other which seems correct to me, or ?
Do you get that too ? Note: As seen in the gif, I had to unselect them first to move the top one away, otherwise they'd move together and it's hard to spot that these are actually above each other. (I'm also using ReaMenus here.)

Last edited by nofish; 08-29-2018 at 03:46 PM.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 12:10 AM   #6
Eliseat

Hi Fabian,

I guess there are some facts you misunderstood: If you implode several midi items, they are just stacked on one track and keep their specific midi channels. You can just double click the stack to get a representation of the first item in midi editor but you are able to go thru the items by clicking on the tabs down in the midi editor.

If you now glue all those items in the stack, they become one midi item but lose their channel settings (all notes on default channel 1).

To avoid that, just use the note channels. Select all notes you want, right click and choose the needed note channel. If you now glue the items into one item together, they keep their note channels but also show up in only one midi editor. (Could end up i a chaotic mess!) So its about what you need and how you want to work.

Greetings
Eli
Attached Images
File Type: png Bild_2018_08_30_09_02_39_88.png (21.2 KB, 146 views)
Old 08-31-2018, 10:08 AM   #7
Fabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofish View Post
Here the result of imploding is two items lying on top of each other which seems correct to me, or ?
Do you get that too ? Note: As seen in the gif, I had to unselect them first to move the top one away, otherwise they'd move together and it's hard to spot that these are actually above each other. (I'm also using ReaMenus here.)
WTF...?! Implode does not create a single MIDI item, but stacks one on top of the other? What's "implode" about that?

This doesn't seem correct to me at all. I expected a single MIDI item with all the MIDI events in it. That is what "implode" means to me.

But OK, mystery solved... And I see now that the action is named "Implode items across tracks into items on one track". Plural "items" in both cases maybe should have given me some hint.

Thanks guys.

BTW... Is there any way to achieve what I want, imploding into a single item with all MIDI events on their original MIDI channels?
Old 08-31-2018, 01:26 PM   #8
dug dog

Check out this vid from Reaper Blog. It describes how to fix the issue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1UG6naZ1HQ
dug dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 03:07 PM   #9
Eliseat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabian View Post
WTF...?! Implode does not create a single MIDI item, but stacks one on top of the other? What's "implode" about that?

This doesn't seem correct to me at all. I expected a single MIDI item with all the MIDI events in it. That is what "implode" means to me.

But OK, mystery solved... And I see now that the action is named "Implode items across tracks into items on one track". Plural "items" in both cases maybe should have given me some hint.

Thanks guys.

BTW... Is there any way to achieve what I want, imploding into a single item with all MIDI events on their original MIDI channels?
I already answered your question. Just use note channels instead of midi item channels and then select all items in the stack and glue them together!
Old 08-31-2018, 11:01 PM   #10
Fabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dug dog View Post
Check out this vid from Reaper Blog. It describes how to fix the issue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1UG6naZ1HQ
Thanks. This is the way it *should* work! Stacking the items on top of each other and calling that "implode"...
Old 09-01-2018, 08:26 AM   #11
dug dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabian View Post
This is the way it *should* work!
I was baffled by this behaviour for years and gave up on trying to figure it out.

Hats off to Jon (not Kenny ) from The Reaper Blog.
dug dog is offline   Reply With Quote