Old 10-31-2017, 04:29 AM   #1
uncleswede
Human being with feelings

Default Woo hoo, new studio PC

I'm finally replacing my 8 year old Studio PC (early core i7, Windows XP) with a brand spanking new Windows 10 PC from Scan.co.uk with the latest kaby Lake core i7 7700k, 16GB RAM and fast SSD :-). Childishly excited...
uncleswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 07:21 AM   #2
Stella645

49 hours of installation hell and your first W10 feature update nuking all your drivers and authorisations will soon temper your excitement
Sounds like a great machine!
Stella645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 08:12 AM   #3
RDBOIS
Banned

Sweet. It's like an early Christmas for you! You must of been a very good boy? lol

I also just got a new pc, but a cheap one, but still better than my other 10 year old pc. So it felt good.

Took my a while to 'tame' windows 10. I can't remember everything I did, but it took several moves to disallow automatic updates and auto-scans, etc. I got fed up of having to wait 10 minutes for it to shut down, or login, because it was, well, upgrading... Now it will only upgrade if I tell it and it doesn't even nag me to do it. All the solutions are on the internet if you Google wisely.

Have fun.
RDBOIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 04:00 AM   #4
uncleswede

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleswede View Post
I'm finally replacing my 8 year old Studio PC (early core i7, Windows XP) with a brand spanking new Windows 10 PC from Scan.co.uk with the latest kaby Lake core i7 7700k, 16GB RAM and fast SSD :-). Childishly excited...
Well, the PC upgrade, including Windows 10 updates, took a while but went very painlessly :-)

Once I had downloaded all the appropriate drivers, all my gear and sample libraries installed without a hitch (even my original Midisport 2x2 midi interface!) and, finally, I was able to install ReaPack and Xpand!2 (I was on XP before) and move to 64-bit Reaper and Sonar (8.53) :-)

The PC itself boots in 20 secs and, so far, even with my highest track count and FX-rich projects, runs quietly and powerfully. I'm getting a 4.9ms reported latency with my RME Fireface UCX (on firewire) using a buffer of 256 samples, which I'm very pleased with. I loaded and played a couple of complex projects with an ASIO buffer size of 48 samples (reported latency 2.8ms) without glitches, so th epower is there if I need it :-)

Much kudos to Scan computers (scan.co.uk) for putting together a marvellous DAW PC.
uncleswede is offline   Reply With Quote