Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 02-09-2017, 03:31 AM   #1
bmanic
Human being with feelings

Default Plugin Alliance plugins causing crashes

I'm trying to help Plugin Alliance to finally solve the instability of their plugins with Reaper. I need all of your help here. I love these plugins and really want them to be rock solid in Reaper.

So far I've nailed down a few projects that guarantee a crash within 10 to 30 seconds after loading the project. It seems to be a combination of Reaper + any plugin alliance plugins + Acustica Audio Nebula or any of their Aqua plugins.

I've opened up the exact same things in FL Studio and it's rock solid.. this means there's something going on with Reaper and these combinations.

I've had PA plugins crash in other situations as well so I'm trying to gather as much information as possible here. Any projects you guys have that crash due to PA plugins are good candidates for further examination. Please let me know here in this thread when you have projects that crash due to PA plugins.

Cheers!
bmanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 04:48 AM   #2
VinodXAgent

Some software need Microsoft runtime libraries Microsoft Visual C++(Reaper don't!) . Does FL install this per se? And what about PA and Acustica? Does their Pluigins install C++ Runtime libraries? Maybe a conflict ?
PA running smooth here (VST3), don't use Acustica.
VinodXAgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 06:55 AM   #3
Mercado_Negro

I've never had any crashes here with PA plug-ins and AA's. Maybe you could create a small and simple project and share it here. I'd gladly help as much as I can, man.
Old 02-09-2017, 07:35 AM   #4
bmanic

I'm still not 100% sure it's as simple as PA + AA. It may be another combination as well. I did manage to get a project with only about 20 plugins to crash (only AA and PA plugins in it) but only once..

I have a huge project (100+ tracks, 200+ plugins) that does crash 100% reliably but it's such a pain to share as the material is copyrighted (a band I'm currently working with for a label) and it's so fragmented and large. I'll try to see if I can get a few other projects that crash and post them here.

I'm mainly gathering as much information as I can at this stage. Something in my Windows 7 64bit Home Premium is unstable.

I've stripped out all virus scanning stuff and everything else I can find. The computer is quite new and the setup changed completely from my old system but it still seems to have this same issue, crashes with Reaper + PA plugins in large projects.

I also just finished a thorough scan of the memory sticks to see if they are faulty but they seem fine (16 gigs of RAM). I'm at a loss here. It's always ntdll.dll that crashes but as we all know, this one is just very generic.

Should I perhaps start installing some of those MS Visual C++ libraries? Just in case? Which ones are the usual suspects to install?
bmanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 01:52 AM   #5
onnodevisser

Older PA plugins are stable on my system. I've had crashes since i bought the spl transient plus and the latest version of bx limiter. The new free subsynth also crashes my reaper projects .( so to me it sounds like they changed somethingin the structure of newer plugins) It always happens after more than 10 minutes of mixing. When i force reaper to cloase and start it up again reaper crashes inmediately when loading same project. I have to completely restart the computer and than i can load the project again. ( until it crashes again} Contacting support of PA ended in a brush off
onnodevisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 05:55 AM   #6
richie43

Couldn't you upload the rpp file for the crashing project? No audio needed, so no artist copyright issues. I have many Plugin Alliance plugins (and you know I have most AA products....lol)
Old 05-07-2017, 02:37 AM   #7
monkey man

I've also had crashes using Plugin Alliance plugins - HG-2, Noveltech Character and bx_stereomaker - all used on separate occasions. The only way of fixing the projects was to open it in a text editor and strip out the offending plug. I can't use these in Reaper any more which is obviously annoying. For the record I don't have any Acustica Audio plugs.
monkey man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 06:01 AM   #8
richie43

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey man View Post
I've also had crashes using Plugin Alliance plugins - HG-2, Noveltech Character and bx_stereomaker - all used on separate occasions. The only way of fixing the projects was to open it in a text editor and strip out the offending plug. I can't use these in Reaper any more which is obviously annoying. For the record I don't have any Acustica Audio plugs.
Have you updated the plugins? I use the last 2 of the 3 you mentioned and have never had issues. I use a ton of Acustica plugins as well.
Old 05-07-2017, 10:08 AM   #9
electricthing

I demoed bx Control V2, liked it but it crashed Reaper.
(v 535 x64 in W10)

(Now I bought Waves S1 and happy with that one)

I use some PA plugins without trouble.

Noveltech Character
SPL
Unfiltered Audio
Maag
Elysia
Lindell Audio

I also had trouble with the free bx solo, bx Cleansweep and bx Opto and Opto Pedal.

I demoed bx XL V2, bx Refinement, bx Stereomaker and bx Limiter and those worked but sometimes might feel a bit unstable when muting etc.

So I will stay away from Brainworx until further notice.
electricthing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 10:31 AM   #10
richie43

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricthing View Post
I demoed bx Control V2, liked it but it crashed Reaper.
(v 535 x64 in W10)

(Now I bought Waves S1 and happy with that one)

I use some PA plugins without trouble.

Noveltech Character
SPL
Unfiltered Audio
Maag
Elysia
Lindell Audio

I also had trouble with the free bx solo, bx Cleansweep and bx Opto and Opto Pedal.

I demoed bx XL V2, bx Refinement, bx Stereomaker and bx Limiter and those worked but sometimes might feel a bit unstable when muting etc.

So I will stay away from Brainworx until further notice.
Weird....
I use many Brainworx plugins (Windows 10, Reaper 64bit) with zero problems.

I wonder what the common element is, it doesn't seem to be Reaper or Windows 10....
Maybe people need to start posting more details (interface, for instance)
Old 05-10-2017, 01:02 PM   #11
Dannii

Location: Adelaide, South Australia (originally from Geelong)

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie43 View Post
Weird....
I use many Brainworx plugins (Windows 10, Reaper 64bit) with zero problems.

I wonder what the common element is, it doesn't seem to be Reaper or Windows 10....
Maybe people need to start posting more details (interface, for instance)
I haven't had any crashing issues with any PA plugins on either of my Win 10 64 bit systems.
The only issue I do have is that the PA plugins take between 5 to 10 seconds EACH to load on one of my rigs. This is cumulative so it gets a little annoying on bigger projects with multiple PA plugins.
Once the project loads though, everything is generally very stable.
Old 11-10-2017, 08:18 AM   #12
S.Pumpernickel

Unfiltered Audio Indent 2 (which is PA plugin) crashes Reaper here. Windows 10 Pro 64bit.
S.Pumpernickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 10:43 AM   #13
Stella645

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Pumpernickel View Post
Unfiltered Audio Indent 2 (which is PA plugin) crashes Reaper here. Windows 10 Pro 64bit.
They updated nearly all plugs a couple weeks back so update if you don't have latest version. I think the main fix was for crashing in Cubase but maybe there will be improvements for Reaper too.
Stella645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 10:46 AM   #14
SoulOne82

I am still getting crashes even after installing the latest updates.
SoulOne82 is offline   Reply With Quote