Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 10-31-2015, 12:16 PM   #1
OneCallSystem
Human being with feelings

Default reaper scanning every file as VST at startup

Hi guys,

This is really weird, I recently reinstalled reaper on my PC and I have been moving things on my hard drives, making space etc. I had a bunch of old VSTs in a folder that I moved to my new VST folder. I'm trying to organize my har drives better.

Anyway, somehow now when I try to startup my recently installed new version of reaper, Reaper is scanning all these random dlls, (microsoft redistributables?)! and treating them as VSTs. I get a popup boxes with crazy errors. basically it is scanning non VST files as VSTs. I am watching the startup of reaper now and it says scanning VSTs: but the files behind them are not VSTs! I think it is scanning every dll on my PC! Eventually it just crashes altogether. I have reinstalled reaper multiple times but it keeps doing this.
OneCallSystem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 12:18 PM   #2
OneCallSystem

a pic of one of the random errors.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (32.8 KB, 394 views)
Old 10-31-2015, 12:44 PM   #3
DarkStar

It sounds like Reaper is scanning your complete disk for suitable dll files. I'll guess that the path name in Reaper's Preferences is set to C:\ or similar.

What is your VST plug-ins top-level folder?

Close Reaper.
Find your reaper.ini file (in C:\Users\DarkStar\AppData\Roaming\REAPER here, that folder may be hidden)
Open it in a text editor.
Find the vstpath= line
Edit it to put for VST plug-ins folder; e.g. vstpath=C:\VST_64 Plugins
Save the change and start Reaper.

Also, moving some plug-ins may not be successful if they depend on other files, Registry entries etc. They will need installing / activating.
Old 10-31-2015, 01:56 PM   #4
OneCallSystem

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
It sounds like Reaper is scanning your complete disk for suitable dll files. I'll guess that the path name in Reaper's Preferences is set to C:\ or similar.

What is your VST plug-ins top-level folder?

Close Reaper.
Find your reaper.ini file (in C:\Users\DarkStar\AppData\Roaming\REAPER here, that folder may be hidden)
Open it in a text editor.
Find the vstpath= line
Edit it to put for VST plug-ins folder; e.g. vstpath=C:\VST_64 Plugins
Save the change and start Reaper.

Also, I just wanted to redo where I keep my VSTs because I have them in too many different places. The plan was to reinstall most of them again and have my file paths go to one main VST folder for simplicity sake.

Also, moving some plug-ins may not be successful if they depend on other files, Registry entries etc. They will need installing / activating.
I found the configuration settings file where you said one called "reaper-vstplugins" at the top of the file it says: "vst cache" - in that file there must be thousands of lines of VST dll listed. 8P scrolling through I can't find the "vstpath= line" anywhere. If I delete the reaper folder in my roaming files and reinstall reaper would this fix the issue? I feel like I need a clean wipe or something.
Old 10-31-2015, 02:56 PM   #5
cfillion

You should be looking for "vstpath=" in a file named reaper.ini (just "reaper"), not reaper-vstplugins.ini.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneCallSystem View Post
If I delete the reaper folder in my roaming files and reinstall reaper would this fix the issue? I feel like I need a clean wipe or something.
That would work but all your settings, custom JSFX, scripts and themes would be lost in the process and you would have to re-import your license key.
cfillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 07:26 AM   #6
vortexsurfer

Hey there. I had the exact same Problem. did you find a solution for it? I had a friend (computernerd/expert) checking my Computer, doing all this Editor and .ini file stuff, still nothing seems to work out. I had to crush my System and rebuils everything... this is really a bummer and i wish to know why this happens a how to deal with it.
vortexsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 07:30 AM   #7
vortexsurfer

If I delete the reaper folder in my roaming files and reinstall reaper would this fix the issue? I feel like I need a clean wipe or something.[/QUOTE]

Would´t work. Only Thing that worked for me was crushing Windows completely.
vortexsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 09:02 AM   #8
ivansc

Just to simplify and clarify here in case you guys with problems have been missing the elephant in the room.
If Reaper is scanning vast areas of your hard drive, the first place to check is in Reaper's Options/Preferences/Plugins/VST setting window to see if, in the list of places you told reaper to scan for plugins, you accidentally added something like " C:\ " which WILL make Reaper want to scan every single file on your OS drive and attempt to load a mountain of .dll files that are NOT audio plugins.

Obviously there are other places besides the simple C:\ that are not good to scan, so think carefully about what you have showing in that list. FWIW I swipe and copy MY list and print it to a file in notepad (Windows of course) to be sure I havent overlooked a misplaced letter or punctuation.
Worth checking.
Old 11-08-2017, 09:05 AM   #9
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
If Reaper is scanning vast areas of your hard drive, the first place to check is in Reaper's Options/Preferences/Plugins/VST setting window to see if...
That is an oustanding idea but they can't do that until they dismiss the "error" dialog about 25000 times so they can actually get into reaper to make that change (or as above try to find the ini and remove the entry manually).
Old 11-08-2017, 09:50 AM   #10
slipstick

It may be worth noting that in my 64 bit Reaper the appropriate line in REAPER.ini is not "vstpath=" but instead "vstpath64=".

Steve
slipstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 11:47 AM   #11
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
That is an oustanding idea but they can't do that until they dismiss the "error" dialog about 25000 times so they can actually get into reaper to make that change (or as above try to find the ini and remove the entry manually).
Not really. If he installs a portable first to see if it actually works OK before tweaking stuff he is far more likely to tweak the right thing!

OP Sorry if I didnt make it clear that I was thinking in terms of establishing the cause, not suggesting an easy fix.

Did you find the plugin ini file yet? Might be worth posting the text on here if you arent sure what to change to fix this.

P.S. BIG blush - Just noticed DS had already suggested all this.....
Old 11-08-2017, 11:51 AM   #12
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
P.S. BIG blush - Just noticed DS had already suggested all this.....
Yea, I don't think the diagnosis is wrong, it is the inability to easily change the path (for someone not well versed in where it lives etc.) when you can't get that far in Reaper.