Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 11-24-2017, 03:59 PM   #1
Eliot Mayer
Human being with feelings

Default How to PDF-Export Musical Notation for a Complete Track

I want to do a PDF export of a track created with the MIDI editor. So far, I have not been able to export the complete track. The problem is that the track is made of a few separate MIDI items (see attached screen shot). I only find File / Notation Export (PDF/XML) within a MIDI item, and only that item gets written to the PDF file.

I have a work-around, but it's not pretty. I export the track to a MIDI file, then import it into an old Cakewalk product, Music Creator. From there, I was able to print to a PDF.

So, is there a way to export the entire track to PDF? If not, is there a way to combine the MIDI items that I could then export?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MIDI-Track.JPG (13.6 KB, 642 views)
File Type: jpg File-Export.JPG (30.3 KB, 582 views)
Eliot Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 05:37 PM   #2
Goldreap

Select all the items on the track> right click> Glue items. Now you have one item to export.
After exporting you could undo the glue if you want, or to keep two versions duplicate the first track (right click the Track Control Panel > Duplicate tracks) then just glue one of them for export.
Goldreap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 09:55 PM   #3
Eliot Mayer

Default Thanks!

Goldreap - Thank you. That does the trick!

I had a bit of trouble making it treble-clef only. Section 14.7 of the manual shows how to do this with a right-click over the vertical bar at the start of a measure. I was getting a different menu than shown, but eventually figured out that the mouse position is very critical. It turns out that you can get this menu more easily by right clicking over either of the initial clef symbols, treble or bass.
Old 08-07-2018, 07:50 AM   #4
808state

As has been mentioned above, you could do so with the "Glue" feature - a confusing name yet it's nothing but a simple embedding process - exactly what you need. You might well export all the files separated and then to embed them using the very tool for editing pdf's you have, it might be Adobe Acrobat, Foxit Phantom or something web-based like this https://w9.pdffiller.com as an example. But the second method will fit only if you have any issues with the app - otherwise do that with glue
808state is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 01:24 PM   #5
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliot Mayer View Post
So, is there a way to export the entire track to PDF? If not, is there a way to combine the MIDI items that I could then export?
You can do this from inside the MIDI Editor, from the Notation View, without needing to combine or glue the items.

Display the Contents list and make visible only the track/item combinations that you wish to include in the export (you can make other track/items visible later if you wish).

Then choose File, Notation Export from the MIDI Editor menu.

More detailed information in the User Guide, 14.0 Exporting MusicXML and PDF Files.
nicholas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 07:11 PM   #6
Eliot Mayer

Default Thanks to Nicholas

Nicholas - Thank you. I posted my question in 2017, and used the Glue approach suggested by "Goldreap". But I'll keep your method in mind for future projects. - Eliot