Old 07-27-2018, 01:50 AM   #1
Tubeguy
Human being with feelings

Default 50's compressors?

What were the 50's-60's compressors that were used at the time when they recorded Sun Records style music? I know of LA-2A, maybe a Fairchild. I know there were others but don't know the brands.
Tubeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 02:10 AM   #2
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeguy View Post
What were the 50's-60's compressors that were used at the time when they recorded Sun Records style music? I know of LA-2A, maybe a Fairchild. I know there were others but don't know the brands.
I think Sun itself had a Gates BA-39.

The really good sounding Gates Sta-Level used the same remote cutoff tubes (6386) made famous by the Fairchild.

There was a Collins (??) and an RCA (BA6?) that were pretty good too.
Geoff Waddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 06:36 AM   #3
Philbo King

I have a Gates Level Devil that does some magic on bass and vocals. I don't use it too often though, these days I mix ITB mostly.
Old 07-27-2018, 08:51 AM   #4
Magicbuss

Tube based Vari-Mu compressors Just like Geoff listed.

If you want those sounds ITB you could do alot worse than the Klanghelm MJUC. 3 Flavors of Vari-mu compression from the 50's through modern iterations.
Magicbuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 04:18 AM   #5
Tubeguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magicbuss View Post
If you want those sounds ITB you could do alot worse than the Klanghelm MJUC. 3 Flavors of Vari-mu compression from the 50's through modern iterations.
I've tried it but to me it sounded artificially colored. I could tune it to my liking. Otherwise a good comp, maybe just not suitable for my taste.
I get decent result when running hardware comp through lightly driven tube preamp but it's too much pain in the .... to employ it in DAW on multiple tracks.
Old 07-28-2018, 04:51 AM   #6
Judders

There's an RCA BA-6A amongst the FPGA effects on my Antelope interface. It's become one of my favourite vocal compressors.
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 09:28 AM   #7
Magicbuss

Quote:
I've tried it but to me it sounded artificially colored. I could tune it to my liking. Otherwise a good comp, maybe just not suitable for my taste.
I get decent result when running hardware comp through lightly driven tube preamp but it's too much pain in the .... to employ it in DAW on multiple tracks.
Fair enough.

For free check out the Thrillseeker VBL (32 bit only) which is Bootsies take on a 50's broadcast limiter:
https://varietyofsound.wordpress.com...dcast-limiter/

Then theres the Sonimus Tuco which looks like a fine Vari-mu plugin for not alot of money. https://sonimus.com/products/tuco/
Magicbuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 09:43 AM   #8
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philbo King View Post
I have a Gates Level Devil that does some magic on bass and vocals. I don't use it too often though, these days I mix ITB mostly.
Yeah, that was often used for radio station compression and used 6BA6/EF93/5749 remote cutoff pentodes.

It's getting harder every day to get matched pairs of low noise 6386's.

Manley vari-mu even has a "TBar" mod that subs 2 6BA6's for each 6386.
Geoff Waddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 04:08 AM   #9
Tubeguy

True, they mostly used Radio limiters but being slower tube they worked also as compressors. Later LA2A would be an example I guess. Not much info on the Net about the very early stuff or even plugins trying to emulate them.
I think they just weren't very versatile so no one bothers nowadays. But when you listen to some one the 50's recordings it's real magic. Has to do with tape machines of the day as well off course.
I've been taking big interest in that sound lately, it's a bit of a struggle in a DAW.
Old 07-29-2018, 07:07 AM   #10
ajawamnet

Quote:
True, they mostly used Radio limiters but being slower tube they worked also as compressors. Later LA2A would be an example I guess. Not much info on the Net about the very early stuff or even plugins trying to emulate them.
I think they just weren't very versatile so no one bothers nowadays. But when you listen to some one the 50's recordings it's real magic. Has to do with tape machines of the day as well off course.
I've been taking big interest in that sound lately, it's a bit of a struggle in a DAW.
That magic was the players... the musicians were usually familiar with each other and had a vibe going.

That and they knew what a quarter note was.

Look at the old Stax crew
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stax_Records#House_band

Look at the Motown crew
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motown#The_Funk_Brothers
"...one of the major factors in the widespread appeal of Motown's music was Gordy's practice of using a highly-select and tight-knit group of studio musicians, collectively known as the Funk Brothers, to record the instrumental or "band" tracks of a majority of Motown recordings."

In fact - look at the Wrecking Crew that did all those old TV show themes and west coast hits:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wrecking_Crew_(music)

I got into a row about 20 years ago with Carol Kaye about tapping your foot in an orchestra (bad mojo). I did sound for the Pgh Symphony's Point State Park outdoor gigs and used some of the players for sessions at various studios. Irv Kaufmann, assoc prin cellist (crazy guy - see him at local clubs wearing Megadeath T-shirts) and when we were in the control room listening to playback he used to always chastise the "band" for that.

Even that crew that Irv assembled had an almost telepathic thing going were with loose scores they just nailed it.

Fast forward to the 60's - 70's - Take a look a Led Zep - I'm not a big fan. But Page and Jones did hundreds, maybe thousands of sessions together for years.

That chemistry transcends the medium.
There's your magic...

Today? - Not so much...

Last edited by ajawamnet; 07-29-2018 at 07:45 AM.
ajawamnet is offline   Reply With Quote