Old 04-13-2024, 08:07 AM   #1
sockmonkey72
Human being with feelings

Default v7.14+dev0413 - April 13 2024

v7.14+dev0413 - April 13 2024
  • * Includes feature branch: normalize actions account for item volume setting
  • * Include feature branch: improved time signature marker editing behavior
  • * Includes feature branch: support adding image metadata to mp3 files in Media Explorer
  • * Includes feature branch: optionally prompt to adjust tempo of empty project when importing media
  • * Includes feature branch: support preserving source media metadata when rendering master mix or stems
  • * Includes feature branch: more informational error messages when writing new files fails
  • * Includes feature branch: up-rank/down-rank takes and take markers
  • * Includes feature branch: additional localization options
  • * Includes feature branch: extended ASCII encoding for .wav file text metadata
  • + Actions: add 'crossfade center' versions of some split actions
  • + Normalize: normalize actions account for item volume knob setting
This thread is for pre-release features discussion. Use the Feature Requests forum for other requests.

Changelog - Pre-Releases

Generated by X-Raym's REAPER ChangeLog to BBCode
Old 04-13-2024, 08:37 AM   #2
musicbynumbers

+ Normalize: normalize actions account for item volume knob setting

This is great thanks!

but.. I have a feeling there are situations where it is good to have the item volume not affect like it was before so maybe a tick box in the box for normalise and a few actions for this maybe?

Probably if people have relative item gains and then want to normalise everything but maybe this is covered anyway by the options in the box
Old 04-13-2024, 09:58 AM   #3
mschnell

[QUOTE=sockmonkey72;2775142]
  • + Normalize: normalize actions account for item volume knob setting
/QUOTE]
I often use normalize and set the Item volume knob afterwards. I suppose whit this release doing normalization again (with volume knob != 0dB) will do nothing ?
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2024, 11:28 AM   #4
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
I often use normalize and set the Item volume knob afterwards. I suppose whit this release doing normalization again (with volume knob != 0dB) will do nothing ?
If you normalize, then adjust the item volume to -3dB, then normalize again, in previous versions nothing would happen at all. In this version, the item volume will remain at -3dB but the item will get 3dB louder (making up for the 3dB the item volume knob is taking off, ending up at the same result as the first normalization).

In other words, previously what was normalized was the item volume/loudness immediately before the item volume knob, and in this version what is normalized is the item volume/loudness immediately after the item volume knob.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2024, 01:32 PM   #5
mschnell

Hmmm
In fact I never use the volume knob (made it invisible), but grab the "zero dB" line (made it center) but I assume that does not make any difference.

I mostly use Normalize immediately after recording a new item. I assume the effect of this this will not change.
Them I might adjust the volume via dragging the line. I assume the effect of this this will not change.
But sometimes I (or rather the "comping queen") might use normalize again. I assume the effect of this this might change.
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2024, 02:43 PM   #6
Mercado_Negro

Devs, please allow using the scroll-wheel to navigate long sub-menus again. I've tried to live with it but dear lord, every time I have to send a track to a reverb have to click on the little arrow at the bottom of the sub-menu, hold it and let it scroll all the way down to the reverb track I'm looking for. I don't even know why this was changed some versions ago
Old 04-13-2024, 03:54 PM   #7
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro View Post
Devs, please allow using the scroll-wheel to navigate long sub-menus again. I've tried to live with it but dear lord, every time I have to send a track to a reverb have to click on the little arrow at the bottom of the sub-menu, hold it and let it scroll all the way down to the reverb track I'm looking for. I don't even know why this was changed some versions ago
Not sure if we did something to change this -- What OS? can you figure out in which version it changed?
Justin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2024, 06:28 PM   #8
juan_r

I guess it's an example of the same issue?

Reaper 7.14 (no dev version), Windows 10, the "Render XX files" menu that lists the output filenames. Won't scroll by mouse wheel.
Old 04-14-2024, 02:36 AM   #9
h31k0

Quote:
+ Actions: add 'crossfade center' versions of some split actions
Thank you so much devs! Love you guys! <3
h31k0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2024, 04:35 AM   #10
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
I'm not aware of anything that changed regarding mousewheel and menus. Can you be more specific about what you mean? If I create a project with 100 tracks, then click the routing button for the first track, then click "add new send", I can use the mousewheel to scroll through the list of 100 tracks, on either windows or macOS.
Old 04-14-2024, 04:41 AM   #11
goto

Quote:
  • * Include feature branch: improved time signature marker editing behavior
We can edit the time signature marker in the MIDI Editor but we cannot move it or create one.
We can move regular markers in the MIDI Editor, though.
It's a useful feature for MIDI users.
goto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2024, 05:29 AM   #12
Mercado_Negro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Not sure if we did something to change this -- What OS? can you figure out in which version it changed?
Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
I'm not aware of anything that changed regarding mousewheel and menus. Can you be more specific about what you mean? If I create a project with 100 tracks, then click the routing button for the first track, then click "add new send", I can use the mousewheel to scroll through the list of 100 tracks, on either windows or macOS.
Here's an example of this:

I did exactly what you described Schwa but when I scroll over the menu it's the tracks that scroll instead. Same thing happens with the mixer.
Old 04-14-2024, 06:20 AM   #13
Paul Eye

Quote:
This is about scrolling the send/receive lists that appear when you right click on for example the routing button, or the fx button list with all your plugins/folders. Those right click menus have never been mousewheel scrollable as far as I can remember.
Paul Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2024, 06:33 AM   #14
Mercado_Negro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Eye View Post
This is about scrolling the send/receive lists that appear when you right click on for example the routing button, or the fx button list with all your plugins/folders. Those right click menus have never been mousewheel scrollable as far as I can remember.
They were mouse-wheel scrollable. It stopped working by the end of last year or so. Unfortunately, I can't remember exactly when because I just ignored it when it started happening. I've been busy and to be honest nowadays when I find things like this I just live with it during the rest of the mix and when I finish well I just forget the bug and remember again when I start another mix and so on
Old 04-14-2024, 06:44 AM   #15
Paul Eye

Quote:
They were mouse-wheel scrollable.
O...kay...
I must have missed that completely. In any case, it doesn't work in 7.14 or this +dev version. I'm on Win10, no idea if the scrolling was working on Linux or Mac.
Paul Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2024, 07:05 AM   #16
Mercado_Negro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Eye View Post
O...kay...
I must have missed that completely. In any case, it doesn't work in 7.14 or this +dev version. I'm on Win10, no idea if the scrolling was working on Linux or Mac.
I just installed v7.0 portable and no, it isn't working there either so maybe it changed in the transition from v6 to v7. I wish I could help more here with this but I have to start a new mix now. I'll try a new v6 portable tomorrow and see.

In any case, please devs allow using the mouse-wheel scroll on menus, you'll save the wrists of a lot of editors in the world
Old 04-14-2024, 08:44 AM   #17
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
I did exactly what you described Schwa but when I scroll over the menu it's the tracks that scroll instead. Same thing happens with the mixer.
Ah no, I was referring to the list that opens from within the routing dialog.

As far as I know, the right-click routing menu has never been mousewheel scrollable. I just tried it in REAPER versions 5, 6, and 7 and it doesn't scroll.
Old 04-14-2024, 10:09 AM   #18
Mercado_Negro

Quote:
Ah no, I was referring to the list that opens from within the routing dialog.

As far as I know, the right-click routing menu has never been mousewheel scrollable. I just tried it in REAPER versions 5, 6, and 7 and it doesn't scroll.
I tried it there in the video because I thought that's where you tested that on but 99% of times I always use that list that opens from within the routing dialog (the "add new send.."). That's not scrolling here either with the mouse-wheel on 7.0 portable. It just zooms horizontally.
Old 04-14-2024, 10:12 AM   #19
Mercado_Negro

Like this:

Old 04-14-2024, 10:17 AM   #20
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Like this:
Hmm, that list absolutely does scroll with the mousewheel on macos here. What os version are you on?
Old 04-14-2024, 10:45 AM   #21
Phazma

Quote:
Originally Posted by sockmonkey72 View Post
[*]+ Normalize: normalize actions account for item volume knob setting
Can there please be an action or preference to toggle this on or off or separate actions?

I usually like to normalize first, then do some gain adjustments and see how much above/below the normalized level I am by reading the gain knob value. Normalizing afterwards can cause unwanted confusion and I don’t see the point. I also like to be able to “toggle” the normailzation on/off.
Phazma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2024, 10:56 AM   #22
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
I tried it there in the video because I thought that's where you tested that on but 99% of times I always use that list that opens from within the routing dialog (the "add new send.."). That's not scrolling here either with the mouse-wheel on 7.0 portable. It just zooms horizontally.
Looks like Apple broke this in Sonoma (or possibly Ventura, I haven't tested it). Looking to see if there's a workaround, but if you test e.g. 6.70 you will find it behaves the same way.
Old 04-14-2024, 11:03 AM   #23
MonkeyBars

Is normalize affected by take volume?
MonkeyBars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2024, 11:03 AM   #24
Mercado_Negro

Quote:
Hmm, that list absolutely does scroll with the mousewheel on macos here. What os version are you on?
Sonoma 14.3.1

Quote:
Looks like Apple broke this in Sonoma (or possibly Ventura, I haven't tested it). Looking to see if there's a workaround, but if you test e.g. 6.70 you will find it behaves the same way.
Apple breaking stuff, what a surprise!
Old 04-14-2024, 11:07 AM   #25
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Sonoma 14.3.1

Apple breaking stuff, what a surprise!
Well, technically I think they just "changed" stuff, and we have some assumptions which are no longer true... which means we can fix it, I think.
Old 04-14-2024, 01:15 PM   #26
akademie

Just for info, scrolling of the right-click "quick" list of sends/receives definitely works in macOS Monterey. So It had to "change" since the next version
akademie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2024, 01:17 PM   #27
Mercado_Negro

Quote:
Well, technically I think they just "changed" stuff, and we have some assumptions which are no longer true... which means we can fix it, I think.
Thanks for looking into this, Justin. This has been a real PITA!
Old 04-14-2024, 02:23 PM   #28
nofish

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post
Is normalize affected by take volume?
It's applied on take volume.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 03:30 AM   #29
timothys_monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sockmonkey72 View Post
[*] * Includes feature branch: support preserving source media metadata when rendering master mix or stems
I did a little test here. So my goal is to preserve all the metadata written by a field recorder. Let's say I only want to cut off the beginning and the end of a recording but keep everything else including channel names and source timecode.

Here is the file I used.

The best program to do such a quick comparison is Wave Agent.

Also make sure to check the files in MediaInfo.

When you compare the original with the exported from REAPER there are a few things missing. Please look at the screencaps here: https://imgur.com/a/etWbvAE

So, in Wave Agent, the track names are gone and the source timecode, too.

When you check the files in MediaInfo, you can see that the metadata had been preserved, but in the wrong categories: instead of "Description" they got written to three other categories: "Track_More", "Subject", "Keywords".

Also, the frame rate is not defined.

Hope that helps , thanks a lot for looking into it. It will be a massive helper once the source timecode can be preserved and the track names get written to the correct category.
timothys_monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 04:39 AM   #30
schwa
Administrator

The batch converter has an option to preserve the source timecode, but that option does not currently exist in the render dialog. We could add it, but it would be enabled only when the source is 'selected media items' and grayed out otherwise.

As for the rest, there are unfortunately dozens of different metadata specifications and no general spec for how to convert between them. This is a problem that people keep trying to solve by adding new specifications just like in the xkcd comic. REAPER makes an effort to preserve metadata (which is why the checkbox on the render dialog says 'if possible') but if there is wonky or brand-specific metadata in the source, the preservation may not be exact.
Old 04-15-2024, 10:21 AM   #31
timothys_monster

Thanks Schwa for considering adding source timecode preservation for "selected media items". I wouldn't mind it being grayed out otherwise.

I know it is a pain to try to support all different field recorder formats. But I think Sound Devices is one of the most used brands when recording film sound and it would be great if you could only preserve the category name. The content is correctly passed on and it would translate to the right channel names in Wave Agent, too.

So, I don't know how hard it would be to preserve the original category name but that could be an easy fix maybe...
Old 04-22-2024, 03:22 AM   #32
timothys_monster

Quote:
* Includes feature branch: support preserving source media metadata when rendering master mix or stems
Any news regarding this feature branch? Are you investigating any further? I just didn't see the branch popping up in this pre-release cycle. Are you planning to improve the preservation of category names as stated in my post here?
Old 04-22-2024, 04:22 AM   #33
schwa
Administrator

This is really a moving target, because the application you are using to display the metadata is doing its own interpretation as well.

All of the metadata that REAPER can recognize is listed in the REAPER source properties, which you can open from the arrange view or the media explorer. In that view, the metadata is presented raw, organized by scheme, without any additional interpretation.

The original and rendered metadata are listed below. I rendered a shorter section so the length is different, but that shouldn't affect any of the other metadata.

I do see the track names in the rendered metadata. If you have an app that is reading track names from the original but not the rendered metadata, that means the app is looking for some specific representation of the metadata.

If you want to try to figure out exactly what the app is looking for that is in one set of metadata but not the other, feel free to let us know. The original contains only BWF and iXML metadata, which do appear to be mostly preserved in the rendered file. It's possible the app has some logic to ignore track names if they appear in more than one metadata scheme, or something like that.

Original metadata:
Code:
Length: 1:01.845
Sample rate: 48000
Channels: 7
Bits/sample: 24 (int)
Total samples: 2,968,606
Blockalign: 21
Datablock start: 6144
Start offset: 12:15:41.720
Metadata:
    Title: 07-23-23
    Date: 2023-07-23
    Description:
sSPEED=025.000-ND
sTAKE=002
sUBITS=$00000000
sSWVER=8.01.5985
sSCENE=98-1
sFILENAME=98-1-002.WAV
sTAPE=230723
sCIRCLED=FALSE
sTRK1=MixL
sTRK2=MixR
sTRK3=Boom 8060
sTRK4=Boom CMit
sTRK5=Mel 
sTRK6=Fiete
sTRK8=Bosse
sNOTE=

BWF tags:
    Description:
sSPEED=025.000-ND
sTAKE=002
sUBITS=$00000000
sSWVER=8.01.5985
sSCENE=98-1
sFILENAME=98-1-002.WAV
sTAPE=230723
sCIRCLED=FALSE
sTRK1=MixL
sTRK2=MixR
sTRK3=Boom 8060
sTRK4=Boom CMit
sTRK5=Mel 
sTRK6=Fiete
sTRK8=Bosse
sNOTE=

OriginationDate: 2023-07-23
    OriginationTime: 05:13:30
    Originator: SoundDev: MixPre-10 II TJ0822287
    OriginatorReference: USSDVTJ08222870012307235DF000101
    TimeReference: 2118802561
IXML tags:
    CIRCLED: FALSE
    FILE_SET:FAMILY_UID: USSDVTJ08222870012307235DF000100
    FILE_SET:FILE_SET_INDEX: A
    FILE_SET:TOTAL_FILES: 1
    FILE_UID: USSDVTJ08222870012307235DF000101
    HISTORY:CURRENT_FILENAME: 98-1-002.WAV
    HISTORY:ORIGINAL_FILENAME: 98-1-002.WAV
    IXML_VERSION: 1.5
    MEDIA_ID: 1
    PROJECT: 07-23-23
    SCENE: 98-1
    SPEED:AUDIO_BIT_DEPTH: 24
    SPEED:CURRENT_SPEED: 25/1
    SPEED:DIGITIZER_SAMPLE_RATE: 48000
    SPEED:FILE_SAMPLE_RATE: 48000
    SPEED:MASTER_SPEED: 25/1
    SPEED:TIMECODE_FLAG: NDF
    SPEED:TIMECODE_RATE: 25/1
    SPEED:TIMESTAMP_SAMPLE_RATE: 48000
    SPEED:TIMESTAMP_SAMPLES_SINCE_MIDNIGHT_HI: 0000000000
    SPEED:TIMESTAMP_SAMPLES_SINCE_MIDNIGHT_LO: 2118802561
    TAKE: 002
    TAPE: 230723
    TRACK_LIST:TRACK:CHANNEL_INDEX: 1
    TRACK_LIST:TRACK:CHANNEL_INDEX:2: 2
    TRACK_LIST:TRACK:CHANNEL_INDEX:3: 3
    TRACK_LIST:TRACK:CHANNEL_INDEX:4: 4
    TRACK_LIST:TRACK:CHANNEL_INDEX:5: 5
    TRACK_LIST:TRACK:CHANNEL_INDEX:6: 6
    TRACK_LIST:TRACK:CHANNEL_INDEX:7: 8
    TRACK_LIST:TRACK:INTERLEAVE_INDEX: 1
    TRACK_LIST:TRACK:INTERLEAVE_INDEX:2: 2
    TRACK_LIST:TRACK:INTERLEAVE_INDEX:3: 3
    TRACK_LIST:TRACK:INTERLEAVE_INDEX:4: 4
    TRACK_LIST:TRACK:INTERLEAVE_INDEX:5: 5
    TRACK_LIST:TRACK:INTERLEAVE_INDEX:6: 6
    TRACK_LIST:TRACK:INTERLEAVE_INDEX:7: 7
    TRACK_LIST:TRACK:NAME: MixL
    TRACK_LIST:TRACK:NAME:2: MixR
    TRACK_LIST:TRACK:NAME:3: Boom 8060
    TRACK_LIST:TRACK:NAME:4: Boom CMit
    TRACK_LIST:TRACK:NAME:5: Mel 
    TRACK_LIST:TRACK:NAME:6: Fiete
    TRACK_LIST:TRACK:NAME:7: Bosse
    TRACK_LIST:TRACK_COUNT: 7
    UBITS: 00000000
Rendered metadata:
Code:
Length: 0:09.000
Sample rate: 44100
Channels: 2
Bits/sample: 24 (int)
Total samples: 396,900
Blockalign: 6
Datablock start: 6496
Metadata:
    Date: 2024-04-22
    Description:
sSPEED=025.000-ND
sTAKE=002
sUBITS=$00000000
sSWVER=8.01.5985
sSCENE=98-1
sFILENAME=98-1-002.WAV
sTAPE=230723
sCIRCLED=FALSE
sTRK1=MixL
sTRK2=MixR
sTRK3=Boom 8060
sTRK4=Boom CMit
sTRK5=Mel 
sTRK6=Fiete
sTRK8=Bosse
sNOTE=

ASWG tags:
    project: 07-23-23
BWF tags:
    OriginationDate: 2024-04-22
    OriginationTime: 07:07:11
    Originator: REAPER
    TimeReference: 0
CART tags:
ID3 tags:
    TIT2: 07-23-23
    TIT3:
sSPEED=025.000-ND
sTAKE=002
sUBITS=$00000000
sSWVER=8.01.5985
sSCENE=98-1
sFILENAME=98-1-002.WAV
sTAPE=230723
sCIRCLED=FALSE
sTRK1=MixL
sTRK2=MixR
sTRK3=Boom 8060
sTRK4=Boom CMit
sTRK5=Mel 
sTRK6=Fiete
sTRK8=Bosse
sNOTE=

INFO tags:
    IKEY:
sSPEED=025.000-ND
sTAKE=002
sUBITS=$00000000
sSWVER=8.01.5985
sSCENE=98-1
sFILENAME=98-1-002.WAV
sTAPE=230723
sCIRCLED=FALSE
sTRK1=MixL
sTRK2=MixR
sTRK3=Boom 8060
sTRK4=Boom CMit
sTRK5=Mel 
sTRK6=Fiete
sTRK8=Bosse
sNOTE=

INAM: 07-23-23
    ISBJ:
sSPEED=025.000-ND
sTAKE=002
sUBITS=$00000000
sSWVER=8.01.5985
sSCENE=98-1
sFILENAME=98-1-002.WAV
sTAPE=230723
sCIRCLED=FALSE
sTRK1=MixL
sTRK2=MixR
sTRK3=Boom 8060
sTRK4=Boom CMit
sTRK5=Mel 
sTRK6=Fiete
sTRK8=Bosse
sNOTE=

IXML tags:
    CIRCLED: FALSE
    FILE_SET:FAMILY_UID: USSDVTJ08222870012307235DF000100
    FILE_SET:FILE_SET_INDEX: A
    FILE_SET:TOTAL_FILES: 1
    FILE_UID: USSDVTJ08222870012307235DF000101
    HISTORY:CURRENT_FILENAME: 98-1-002.WAV
    HISTORY:ORIGINAL_FILENAME: 98-1-002.WAV
    IXML_VERSION: 1.5
    MEDIA_ID: 1
    PROJECT: 07-23-23
    SCENE: 98-1
    SPEED:AUDIO_BIT_DEPTH: 24
    SPEED:CURRENT_SPEED: 25/1
    SPEED:DIGITIZER_SAMPLE_RATE: 48000
    SPEED:FILE_SAMPLE_RATE: 48000
    SPEED:MASTER_SPEED: 25/1
    SPEED:TIMECODE_FLAG: NDF
    SPEED:TIMECODE_RATE: 25/1
    SPEED:TIMESTAMP_SAMPLE_RATE: 48000
    SPEED:TIMESTAMP_SAMPLES_SINCE_MIDNIGHT_HI: 0000000000
    SPEED:TIMESTAMP_SAMPLES_SINCE_MIDNIGHT_LO: 2118802561
    TAKE: 002
    TAPE: 230723
    TRACK_LIST:TRACK:CHANNEL_INDEX: 1
    TRACK_LIST:TRACK:CHANNEL_INDEX:2: 2
    TRACK_LIST:TRACK:CHANNEL_INDEX:3: 3
    TRACK_LIST:TRACK:CHANNEL_INDEX:4: 4
    TRACK_LIST:TRACK:CHANNEL_INDEX:5: 5
    TRACK_LIST:TRACK:CHANNEL_INDEX:6: 6
    TRACK_LIST:TRACK:CHANNEL_INDEX:7: 8
    TRACK_LIST:TRACK:INTERLEAVE_INDEX: 1
    TRACK_LIST:TRACK:INTERLEAVE_INDEX:2: 2
    TRACK_LIST:TRACK:INTERLEAVE_INDEX:3: 3
    TRACK_LIST:TRACK:INTERLEAVE_INDEX:4: 4
    TRACK_LIST:TRACK:INTERLEAVE_INDEX:5: 5
    TRACK_LIST:TRACK:INTERLEAVE_INDEX:6: 6
    TRACK_LIST:TRACK:INTERLEAVE_INDEX:7: 7
    TRACK_LIST:TRACK:NAME: MixL
    TRACK_LIST:TRACK:NAME:2: MixR
    TRACK_LIST:TRACK:NAME:3: Boom 8060
    TRACK_LIST:TRACK:NAME:4: Boom CMit
    TRACK_LIST:TRACK:NAME:5: Mel 
    TRACK_LIST:TRACK:NAME:6: Fiete
    TRACK_LIST:TRACK:NAME:7: Bosse
    TRACK_LIST:TRACK_COUNT: 7
    UBITS: 00000000
XMP tags:
    dc/description:
sSPEED=025.000-ND
sTAKE=002
sUBITS=$00000000
sSWVER=8.01.5985
sSCENE=98-1
sFILENAME=98-1-002.WAV
sTAPE=230723
sCIRCLED=FALSE
sTRK1=MixL
sTRK2=MixR
sTRK3=Boom 8060
sTRK4=Boom CMit
sTRK5=Mel 
sTRK6=Fiete
sTRK8=Bosse
sNOTE=

dc/title: 07-23-23
Old 04-22-2024, 04:48 AM   #34
schwa
Administrator

Actually, I think I know what the issue is. I think your app is looking for the track names as stylized lines in the BWF "description" field (which isn't any kind of standard, but very little about metadata conforms to meaningful standards), and REAPER doesn't preserve that field, because it conflicts with the REAPER render option to write the project name into the BWF metadata.

I suppose if the user chooses to try to preserve metadata, we could ignore the BWF options in the wav format configuration. Either way, whether we discard the original BWF metadata or ignore the format configuration, some set of users will be confused, but that seems to be inevitable.
Old 04-22-2024, 12:43 PM   #35
timothys_monster

Quote:
Actually, I think I know what the issue is. I think your app is looking for the track names as stylized lines in the BWF "description" field (which isn't any kind of standard, but very little about metadata conforms to meaningful standards), and REAPER doesn't preserve that field, because it conflicts with the REAPER render option to write the project name into the BWF metadata.
That's exactly what I tried to say with my long post above The problem of the track names not being written to the field "description". I think it would be great to leave the metadata as is when choosing "preserve". When writing new metadata, REAPER should stick to their system though, whatever your standard is.

Anything regarding the preservation of the source timecode? Feel free to check my imgur again. It shows pretty clearly that the source timecode gets replaced with the start timecode of the item in REAPER.