Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2024, 01:55 AM   #4241
helgoboss
Human being with feelings
 
helgoboss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Germany
Posts: 2,323
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by medal View Post
This does make it go up and down but the PC messages arent synced. Like if I'm on 22 and I hit the previous(reversed) button I would like to go to 21. But as of now they are totally independent of eachother. Is there a way to have simple up/down for PC messages?

Is there a way to select banks for program changes? I dont see a way to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by medal View Post
To the right of Glue you'll see it. Lets say you are programming a synth with its octaves(CC-xx).

0 for Octave -2, 48 for Octave -1, 96 for Octave 0, 127 for Octave +1 etc

"Value sequence"

Please excuse me its been a long day of this lol

I recommend to not use ReaLearn for any of those scenarios. It's not really built to be a MIDI transformation tool of this kind.

Isn't there a JSFX that does that? If not, it's quite easy to program one. JSFX is perfect for simple MIDI transformations such as the ones you describe.
helgoboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2024, 05:54 AM   #4242
mschnell
Human being with feelings
 
mschnell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Krefeld, Germany
Posts: 15,288
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by helgoboss View Post
Isn't there a JSFX that does that? If not, it's quite easy to program one. JSFX is perfect for simple MIDI transformations such as the ones you describe.
Yep. And you can use MidiToReaControlPath for "routing" Midi to fire Reaper

actions (which ReaLearn also does) if needed.
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2024, 12:15 PM   #4243
medal
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Apr 2024
Posts: 31
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by helgoboss View Post
I recommend to not use ReaLearn for any of those scenarios. It's not really built to be a MIDI transformation tool of this kind.

Isn't there a JSFX that does that? If not, it's quite easy to program one. JSFX is perfect for simple MIDI transformations such as the ones you describe.
I mean it works perfect other than it does not seem to recognize the "0" of the "value command"
medal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2024, 12:19 PM   #4244
medal
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Apr 2024
Posts: 31
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
Yep. And you can use MidiToReaControlPath for "routing" Midi to fire Reaper

actions (which ReaLearn also does) if needed.
Does this work on M1? I just get this little box.


Last edited by medal; 06-07-2024 at 12:49 PM.
medal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2024, 01:39 PM   #4245
mschnell
Human being with feelings
 
mschnell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Krefeld, Germany
Posts: 15,288
Default

MidiToReaControlPath is very old.

AFAIK there only are Windows and an intel Mac versions.

I don't think there are ARM or Linux version.

I also don't know if the source code is available somewhere.

A rather sad situation

I know somebody who could re-create the thing in no time with an better GUI (selections instead of sliders)

Last edited by mschnell; 06-07-2024 at 01:57 PM.
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2024, 02:15 PM   #4246
helgoboss
Human being with feelings
 
helgoboss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Germany
Posts: 2,323
Default

Hmm, not sure how MidiToReaControlPath would solve medal's issue? I think what medal needs is a simple MIDI-to-MIDI transformation only, which can be entirely solved by simple JSFX effects, without routing to the control path.

BTW, I don't see any scenario where MidiToReaControlPath is still necessary. ReaLearn was initially written to make it obsolete / going a more direct way by not using the control path at all.

@medal The problem with the two (up and down) mappings working completely independently is not easily solvable in your case. As for the value sequence, I would need more details, maybe a screenshot or screencast of what you mean.
helgoboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2024, 03:16 PM   #4247
medal
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Apr 2024
Posts: 31
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by helgoboss View Post
Hmm, not sure how MidiToReaControlPath would solve medal's issue? I think what medal needs is a simple MIDI-to-MIDI transformation only, which can be entirely solved by simple JSFX effects, without routing to the control path.

BTW, I don't see any scenario where MidiToReaControlPath is still necessary. ReaLearn was initially written to make it obsolete / going a more direct way by not using the control path at all.

@medal The problem with the two (up and down) mappings working completely independently is not easily solvable in your case. As for the value sequence, I would need more details, maybe a screenshot or screencast of what you mean.



Last edited by medal; 06-07-2024 at 03:29 PM.
medal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2024, 12:21 AM   #4248
mschnell
Human being with feelings
 
mschnell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Krefeld, Germany
Posts: 15,288
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by helgoboss View Post
I don't see any scenario where MidiToReaControlPath is still necessary.
Yep. Of course ReaLearn is able to do this in all possible use cases. But MidiToReaControlPath is so dead simple. It just can be seen as a "routing" tool. ReaLearn is fantastically versatile, but hence decently complex.

I use MidiToReaControlPath to trigger actions by CC messages. Here it is a very handy no-brainer.

(Of course I am a little bit weird, as the CCs I "route" usually are created by my own JSFX code.)

Last edited by mschnell; 06-08-2024 at 12:26 AM.
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2024, 02:14 AM   #4249
helgoboss
Human being with feelings
 
helgoboss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Germany
Posts: 2,323
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by medal View Post
...

I just tried this and it works for me. It sends all 5 values (0, 1, 2, 3, 4) when I turn the encoder. I tried with a real endless encoder (source character being "Encoder (relative type 1)". I also tried with "Make absolute", which should turn the encoder into an absolute non-endless control element - closer to what you seem to have. It still works.

I'm using the latest ReaLearn pre-release 2.16.0-pre.14.
helgoboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2024, 03:48 PM   #4250
medal
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Apr 2024
Posts: 31
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by helgoboss View Post
I just tried this and it works for me. It sends all 5 values (0, 1, 2, 3, 4) when I turn the encoder. I tried with a real endless encoder (source character being "Encoder (relative type 1)". I also tried with "Make absolute", which should turn the encoder into an absolute non-endless control element - closer to what you seem to have. It still works.

I'm using the latest ReaLearn pre-release 2.16.0-pre.14.
Thank you for testing! I tried it with another piece of gear just now and success. I guess the 3rd Wave has some bugs.
medal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2024, 08:04 AM   #4251
helgoboss
Human being with feelings
 
helgoboss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Germany
Posts: 2,323
Default

Released ReaLearn 2.16.0-pre.15 (ReaPack installation instructions)

Changes:
- Playtime-related changes (details available for early-access testers only)
- Improved virtual control by considering two same-named virtual control elements with different character the same (this change has only been made to named control elements, not to numbered ones!)
- #923 Improved auto-load by falling back to initially active preset when no FX focused
- #928 Improved both "After timeout" fire modes by respecting button filter setting (this makes long-press-on-release-off scenarios achievable with just one mapping)
- Improved "suitable main preset selection" algorithm when connecting known controllers
- Improved import by warning when invalid top-level properties were detected (which could indicate wrong usage of the import API)
- Improved error reporting when importing invalid Luau code by making the error cause more visible
- Improved reliability of preset loading/import in high-CPU usage situations by increasing the maximum execution time of Luau scripts
- Improved reporting of general errors by not just logging repeated error messages as vertical dashes (this was confusing)
- Fixed memorization of last color in color picker
- Fixed broken connection from ReaLearn Companion running on Android
- Fixed possible errors when connecting MIDI devices (related to the new controller auto detection)
- Fixed some incorrect detection of recursive tables in Luau code on import
- Removed CSI MST import
- Internal change: Removed undocumented ReaLearn script utility functions
- Internal change: Removed old logging framework
- Internal change: Renamed lots of Prometheus metrics
- Internal change: Enforced UTF-8-encoded paths very early in the processing when interfacing with the REAPER API (REAPER by contract should provide UTF-8 encoded paths, if not it's a bug in REAPER)
helgoboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2024, 09:48 AM   #4252
SeanTypedThis
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Oakland, CA
Posts: 112
Default

Thanks for the update! The new menus in PT2 are looking great by the way, but I know that's for another thread, haha..
I can't really dive in until after the weekend, I had to revert because of a bit of a showstopper.

I loaded one of my main patches with a few scripts/actions set to "Realearn Unit Start" for when I load the project, and those actions seemed to be stuck in some sort of loop, repeatedly firing.

I suspect it might have to do with this changelog item:

Quote:
Originally Posted by helgoboss View Post
- #928 Improved both "After timeout" fire modes by respecting button filter setting (this makes long-press-on-release-off scenarios achievable with just one mapping)
- Improved "suitable main preset selection" algorithm when connecting known controllers
Reverting to pre.14 fixed everything right up for me, so I'll hold off for now, try to give it a closer look next week if it's not easily re-creatable/fixable.

Thanks as always!
__________________
YouTube
SeanTypedThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2024, 10:52 AM   #4253
helgoboss
Human being with feelings
 
helgoboss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Germany
Posts: 2,323
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanTypedThis View Post
Thanks for the update! The new menus in PT2 are looking great by the way, but I know that's for another thread, haha..
I can't really dive in until after the weekend, I had to revert because of a bit of a showstopper.

I loaded one of my main patches with a few scripts/actions set to "Realearn Unit Start" for when I load the project, and those actions seemed to be stuck in some sort of loop, repeatedly firing.

I suspect it might have to do with this changelog item:



Reverting to pre.14 fixed everything right up for me, so I'll hold off for now, try to give it a closer look next week if it's not easily re-creatable/fixable.

Thanks as always!
I checked with a very simple project using "ReaLearn unit start" and couldn't reproduce this. Are you using the "Fire after timeout" modes? If not, it can't be related.

Please send an RPP file for reproduction, thanks!
helgoboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2024, 12:06 PM   #4254
Rockum
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Nashville
Posts: 225
Default

My hardware device has button labeled "+" with an associated LED. I want to use it and the matching "-" as increment and decrement actions for parameter p[7].

I have no issues addressing and changing the correct parameter, but I have three unmet goals:

• Button's LED should flash not toggle when pressed.

• Button should raise the p value in increments of .01

• Button should either stick or wrap around at a ceiling of .2

Unfortunately instead of getting this series with repeated presses:

0.0 .01 .02 .03 .04 .05 .06 .07

The best results I have been able to achieve is :

0.0 .01 0.0 .02 0.0 .03 0.0 .04

I have tried many different combinations of making the button an incremental control, changing the step size, etc. However, I haven't hit on the right combination. Help appreciated.

Last edited by Rockum; 06-14-2024 at 06:03 PM.
Rockum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2024, 04:38 AM   #4255
Knob Twiddler
Human being with feelings
 
Knob Twiddler's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Leuven
Posts: 105
Default

I am trying to get my head around Realearn. Forgive me when the question was already answered in this over 100 pages long thread, I did not read it yet.

I have a VST instrument that I want to completey control from my midi controller, a BCR2000. I can do this without Realearn but not for the midifeedback on the controller; so that is why I decided to map the VSTi with realearn. Normal cc parameters get learned and the feedback works but the first problem I encountered was with midi note numbers. 8 buttons in the plugin have a midi note number (or note) configured to them. My controller has also 8 buttons that I configured as midi note numbers. When I learn the source, the controller button is learned but I cannot learn the target, when I click the button on the plugin, nothing happens. Any ideas? Are midi note numbers not supported?
Knob Twiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2024, 04:50 AM   #4256
helgoboss
Human being with feelings
 
helgoboss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Germany
Posts: 2,323
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knob Twiddler View Post
I am trying to get my head around Realearn. Forgive me when the question was already answered in this over 100 pages long thread, I did not read it yet.

I have a VST instrument that I want to completey control from my midi controller, a BCR2000. I can do this without Realearn but not for the midifeedback on the controller; so that is why I decided to map the VSTi with realearn. Normal cc parameters get learned and the feedback works but the first problem I encountered was with midi note numbers. 8 buttons in the plugin have a midi note number (or note) configured to them. My controller has also 8 buttons that I configured as midi note numbers. When I learn the source, the controller button is learned but I cannot learn the target, when I click the button on the plugin, nothing happens. Any ideas? Are midi note numbers not supported?
Looks like there's a misunderstanding. The way the ReaLearn target "FX parameter: Set value" works is that it controls VST parameters, it doesn't send MIDI to the plug-in. So your plug-in doesn't need to do any kind of MIDI mapping, this is ReaLearn's job.

As why the button presses in the plug-in are not picked up by ReaLearn's "Learn target" function ... maybe the buttons in your plug-in are not automatable. Then there's no way ReaLearn can pick them up. Just do it manually (select in the target section the plug-in the parameter you want to control).
helgoboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2024, 04:53 AM   #4257
helgoboss
Human being with feelings
 
helgoboss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Germany
Posts: 2,323
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockum View Post
My hardware device has button labeled "+" with an associated LED. I want to use it and the matching "-" as increment and decrement actions for parameter p[7].

I have no issues addressing and changing the correct parameter, but I have three unmet goals:

• Button's LED should flash not toggle when pressed.

• Button should raise the p value in increments of .01

• Button should either stick or wrap around at a ceiling of .2

Unfortunately instead of getting this series with repeated presses:

0.0 .01 .02 .03 .04 .05 .06 .07

The best results I have been able to achieve is :

0.0 .01 0.0 .02 0.0 .03 0.0 .04

I have tried many different combinations of making the button an incremental control, changing the step size, etc. However, I haven't hit on the right combination. Help appreciated.
Send a log of the MIDI messages that the button sends (e.g. using ReaControlMIDI or ReaLearn's log function, which is a bit verbose though)
helgoboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2024, 04:59 AM   #4258
helgoboss
Human being with feelings
 
helgoboss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Germany
Posts: 2,323
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knob Twiddler View Post
I am trying to get my head around Realearn. Forgive me when the question was already answered in this over 100 pages long thread, I did not read it yet.

I have a VST instrument that I want to completey control from my midi controller, a BCR2000. I can do this without Realearn but not for the midifeedback on the controller; so that is why I decided to map the VSTi with realearn. Normal cc parameters get learned and the feedback works but the first problem I encountered was with midi note numbers. 8 buttons in the plugin have a midi note number (or note) configured to them. My controller has also 8 buttons that I configured as midi note numbers. When I learn the source, the controller button is learned but I cannot learn the target, when I click the button on the plugin, nothing happens. Any ideas? Are midi note numbers not supported?
BTW, the ReaLearn video tutorials are a good alternative to the user guide, especially if it's about such basic things.
helgoboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2024, 05:16 AM   #4259
Knob Twiddler
Human being with feelings
 
Knob Twiddler's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Leuven
Posts: 105
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by helgoboss View Post
BTW, the ReaLearn video tutorials are a good alternative to the user guide, especially if it's about such basic things.
Thanks, I already watched the videos, even downloaded them from youtube
But as yu said the parameters I was speaking about are not in the automation list so I guess I have no chance to make them work in Realearn. It is confusing because I CAN learn them with the built-in midi learn option in the plugin.
Knob Twiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2024, 06:26 AM   #4260
helgoboss
Human being with feelings
 
helgoboss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Germany
Posts: 2,323
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knob Twiddler View Post
Thanks, I already watched the videos, even downloaded them from youtube
But as yu said the parameters I was speaking about are not in the automation list so I guess I have no chance to make them work in Realearn. It is confusing because I CAN learn them with the built-in midi learn option in the plugin.
You could use the "MIDI: Send" target ... but it's like MIDI-to-ReaLearn and back to MIDI This only works if you have ReaLearn positioned above the plug-in (a limitation that I can hopefully lift in the future)
helgoboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2024, 12:22 PM   #4261
SeanTypedThis
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Oakland, CA
Posts: 112
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by helgoboss View Post
Are you using the "Fire after timeout" modes? If not, it can't be related.

Please send an RPP file for reproduction, thanks!
Whoops, my bad! In my copy/paste haste I cut out the part where I specifically say "some, if not all, are sequenced to fire after a certain timeout in milliseconds."

I have to keep things stable for an event tomorrow, but I'll try to get you a stripped down rpp file come Monday, if this still can be reproduced on my end. Thanks for looking into it!

Also in my haste, I didn't mention it seemed to effect MIDI PC messages as well as Fx parameter settings. I wondered if it might have been related to a certain hanging note issue.

I almost immediately reverted, so I haven't really had time to look, but I'll try to have more helpful info/material next week!
__________________
YouTube
SeanTypedThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2024, 02:44 PM   #4262
Rockum
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Nashville
Posts: 225
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by helgoboss View Post
Send a log of the MIDI messages that the button sends (e.g. using ReaControlMIDI or ReaLearn's log function, which is a bit verbose though)
Thank you Helgoboss.


This represents four separate presses of the + button:

B0 20 7F Ch.1 CC #32 (Bank Select (fine)), Value: 127
B0 20 00 Ch.1 CC #32 (Bank Select (fine)), Value: 0
B0 20 7F Ch.1 CC #32 (Bank Select (fine)), Value: 127
B0 20 00 Ch.1 CC #32 (Bank Select (fine)), Value: 0


This represents four separate presses of the - button:

B0 21 7F Ch.1 CC #33 (Modulation Wheel (fine)), Value: 127
B0 21 00 Ch.1 CC #33 (Modulation Wheel (fine)), Value: 0
B0 21 7F Ch.1 CC #33 (Modulation Wheel (fine)), Value: 127
B0 21 00 Ch.1 CC #33 (Modulation Wheel (fine)), Value: 0

I found that the buttons function correctly after setting the containers for the buttons to toggle type. However, the LED's still toggle. Their status is pretty meaningless anyway so if it's an easy fix awesome. If not no worries.
Rockum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2024, 11:18 PM   #4263
helgoboss
Human being with feelings
 
helgoboss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Germany
Posts: 2,323
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockum View Post
Thank you Helgoboss.


This represents four separate presses of the + button:

B0 20 7F Ch.1 CC #32 (Bank Select (fine)), Value: 127
B0 20 00 Ch.1 CC #32 (Bank Select (fine)), Value: 0
B0 20 7F Ch.1 CC #32 (Bank Select (fine)), Value: 127
B0 20 00 Ch.1 CC #32 (Bank Select (fine)), Value: 0


This represents four separate presses of the - button:

B0 21 7F Ch.1 CC #33 (Modulation Wheel (fine)), Value: 127
B0 21 00 Ch.1 CC #33 (Modulation Wheel (fine)), Value: 0
B0 21 7F Ch.1 CC #33 (Modulation Wheel (fine)), Value: 127
B0 21 00 Ch.1 CC #33 (Modulation Wheel (fine)), Value: 0

I found that the buttons function correctly after setting the containers for the buttons to toggle type. However, the LED's still toggle. Their status is pretty meaningless anyway so if it's an easy fix awesome. If not no worries.
Yes, that's it. Your buttons toggle on hardware side, which is not good for being flexible on the software side. If you can change it in your hardware, change it. If not, you need to use ReaLearn's source character "Toggle-only button".

Concerning the LEDs, maybe you need "Feedback: Send after control". Some controllers, especially some from Behringer, need this.

What device is it?
helgoboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2024, 11:52 PM   #4264
Rockum
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Nashville
Posts: 225
Default

Is merging mapping sets possible? I know how to copy mappings as lua, make a few changes, and then paste them to replace the current contents (or fill an empty group). However I can't seem to figure out how to copy groups along with their group names and activation expressions and merge them into another main compartment. I don't want to replace the current contents of the compartment, just add copied mapping groups to them.

I tried doing it by hand by editing and merging two exported lua compartments, but when I try to do that I can't because the groups members share identical mapping ID's. (One grouping is a variant of the other). I don't have a to generate these ID's.

So again, is this type merging possible?

Thanks

Last edited by Rockum; 06-28-2024 at 04:23 PM.
Rockum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2024, 03:27 PM   #4265
kdarkthought
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Sep 2023
Posts: 49
Default Change Mapping Based on Selected Track Name

Hey helgoboss,

I was wondering if it's possible to use conditional activation in combination with the Track "Named" selector (and wildcards) to change mappings based on the selected track name. In the manual you use the " violin * " example, which would be perfect for this use-case, but I'm struggling to make it work properly.

Any ideas on how I should approach this?

Thanks!

EDIT: I can get this to work on the first selected track that meets the criteria using Type: Track:Track, Named: foo* and with "Track Must Be Selected" checked. However, as the manual states, multiple tracks that fit the criteria resolve to the first track, so when I select the next track with "foo*", the mapping deactivates.

Last edited by kdarkthought; 06-20-2024 at 03:34 PM.
kdarkthought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2024, 04:24 PM   #4266
Rockum
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Nashville
Posts: 225
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by helgoboss View Post
Yes, that's it. Your buttons toggle on hardware side, which is not good for being flexible on the software side. If you can change it in your hardware, change it. If not, you need to use ReaLearn's source character "Toggle-only button".

Concerning the LEDs, maybe you need "Feedback: Send after control". Some controllers, especially some from Behringer, need this.

What device is it?
Softube Console 1 Fader
Rockum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2024, 03:51 AM   #4267
mschnell
Human being with feelings
 
mschnell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Krefeld, Germany
Posts: 15,288
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
MidiToReaControlPath is so dead simple. It just can be seen as a "routing" tool. it is a very handy no-brainer.
This especially important with really smallish (e.g. "live") projects to be run on a RasPi.

Here we even don't have a working version of MidiToReaControlPath at all

Seems like ReaLearn currently is not available for ARM Linux - supposedly not for reasons that might hamper a MidiToReaControlPath workalike .

(Triggered by me working on the "Mini Song Switcher" script...)

Last edited by mschnell; 06-24-2024 at 04:14 AM.
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2024, 03:04 AM   #4268
manthosdm
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Corfu, Greece
Posts: 46
Default Mappings set to Dummy by other mappings?

Hey @helgoboss

First of all... thanks for your reply almost a year (!) ago on this question of mine: https://forums.cockos.com/showpost.p...postcount=3660

I saw it only now... I expected some kind of notification to inform me, but it never came, so after a couple of weeks I forgot :/ Fast-forward to now, I just got a mint BCF2000 and I'm setting it up like I had my other controllers when I did that post. So I'll have all your scripts ready to test!

Here comes another question - and now I'll keep an eye on it to see when you reply.

-----------

I have created a preset of ''Learn'' faders/knobs on Realearn and BCF2000. Dedicated buttons trigger the ''Modify mapping'' command for each fader/knob, and they learn the last touched parameter. I use it a lot, it helps get plenty of work done when not using pre-programmed effects on my sessions.

Now... I'm looking for a way to make a ''reset'' button. So when I start a new session, or when I'm done setting up certain fx, I don't accidentally move a controller and mess up my settings.

My solution before was the following.

1. Dedicated button moves an arbitrary parameter (one of realearn's for example). So now this is the last touched parameter.
2. Another dedicated button is mapped to ALL knobs and faders, and it modifies their mapping to the last touched parameter.

The result is all my mappings are ''clean''.

This worked pretty well up until now, because I didn't have a motorized controller before. My problem now is that when I run this cleaning process, all controllers are mapped to the same parameter... and if I move one they all move at the same time, they get jiggly in the process, etc.

I want to not push the motors in this way if I don't have to. So I'm looking for a cleaner solution, and I was thinking... is there a way to make a mapping that sets all mappings of the same tag to ''Realearn: Dummy"?

I tried using the Take/Load Mapping Snapshot, but I quickly found out that this memorizes the parameters of a target, not the target type (unless I'm using it wrong). So, when I made a snapshot of a mapping with ''Realearn: Dummy" as a target, then changed it to something else, and then loaded the memorized snapshot, it didn't revert back to Dummy.

Any thoughts on this? Oh, also... would it help you more if I moved this to Github? Whatever suits you for your fr/question/bug parsing process!

---

UPDATE #1: I will test a workaround - not that elegant, but will do the trick I think. I'll move the Learner mappings to a new instance of Realearn, take an FX Snapshot - or make a preset - and use a mapping on the first Realearn to ''revert'' back to the previous mappings!

UPDATE #2: YES! It works! I made a preset, put it on the top of the fx preset list of Realearn, and use the command ''Browse FX'' (limited to 1, so it chooses the first preset) on one Realearn targeting the other, and... boom! Everything back to Dummy!

(I post it here as a use case for anyone caring to read, hope it helps :P)

Last edited by manthosdm; 06-28-2024 at 07:23 AM.
manthosdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2024, 03:29 AM   #4269
Bärtreuer
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 14
Default Using multiple devices as one controller ? SSL UF8

Hello Helgoboss,

is it possible/will it be possible in the near future to use multiple devices of
the same controller model (like the SSL UF8) running as one device ? Like adding 1-3 more UF8 controllers which behaves as one big controller ?

Best wishes
BT
Bärtreuer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2024, 04:24 PM   #4270
BaronStinky
Human being with feelings
 
BaronStinky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 257
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by helgoboss View Post
I'm not sure to be honest because I never had a HUI device to test with. I thought it's somehow a subset of MCU but maybe not.

However, I'm pretty sure HUI uses MIDI for communication. And ReaLearn supports all the essentials of the MIDI spec. That means it should be possible to make HUI work. MCU support is also possible just by building a preset! No code additions were necessary to support it. Guess it's the same for HUI. If you have time to dig into it, you could do other HUI users a favor here by building and publishing a preset.
This message is mostly for anyone checking in about HUI (specifically Focusrite 2802).

Thanks for your response, helgoboss! Unfortunately, I've been back and forth and I can't seem to get anything other than:

CC Value
Channel 1
CC Number 15

for any given input. This is with the MCU preset and without, manually adding a mapping. Any fader I push, any button I press, doesn't matter: realearn just sees the same input. Thanks so much Focusrite, everyone loves a proprietary system that you decided not to support after a few years.

Still think realearn is hella cool.
__________________
www.radiounready.com
BaronStinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2024, 05:42 AM   #4271
dna598
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 781
Default

2.16 pre15

>Improved auto-load by falling back to initially active preset when no FX focused

I'm not sure if this working out for me.

I am often returning to Reaper to find the mappings in <none> have disappeared. I have to load back up my Reaper preset containing all the mappings I require in <none>.
dna598 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2024, 11:38 AM   #4272
helgoboss
Human being with feelings
 
helgoboss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Germany
Posts: 2,323
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dna598 View Post
2.16 pre15

>Improved auto-load by falling back to initially active preset when no FX focused

I'm not sure if this working out for me.

I am often returning to Reaper to find the mappings in <none> have disappeared. I have to load back up my Reaper preset containing all the mappings I require in <none>.
The intended behavior is described here in detail. The FR is about falling back to a preset (not <None>). TabbyCat already confirmed it works as described, so I assume it's usage error. If you are still sure it doesn't work as described, please post a screencast. Thanks!
helgoboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2024, 01:33 AM   #4273
dna598
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 781
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by helgoboss View Post
The intended behavior is described here in detail. The FR is about falling back to a preset (not <None>). TabbyCat already confirmed it works as described, so I assume it's usage error. If you are still sure it doesn't work as described, please post a screencast. Thanks!
Ah thanks. I guess there is a procedure that needs regularly following:

1. turn auto load off.

2. Choose a fall back preset.

3 Turn Auto load on.

I must have turned autoload on with an empty <none> somehow, somewhere along the way, or something.


I can't help thinking a right click option to monolithically "assign current preset as fall back" would make the intended function less cryptic to achieve, and lock it in.

But anyway, I'll work with it now that I "get it".

edit: working for me now after turning off some "active" modifiers that were triggering some sysex commands to change pages on the EC4 im my <none>/fallback mappings. (these were to compensate for not having the fallback feature). Thanks.

Last edited by dna598; 07-01-2024 at 03:19 AM.
dna598 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2024, 06:36 AM   #4274
gofid
Human being with feelings
 
gofid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 6
Default Track select behaviour

Hi Everyone,

first of all, thanks to helgoboss for this awesome tool.

I have a question about the behaviour of the track select feature in realearn. I noticed that, when I use the realearn track select, it doesn't change the track in FX Device from Bryan Chi.
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=263622
When I use a reaper action with invoke reaper action to select a track (i.e. Action-ID 40940) the FX Chain in FX Device is updated properly to the selected track.
Also when I use the Action "Go to next track" (Action-ID 40285) it selects the track next to my last mouseclicked track, and not to the last selected with realearn.

So my question is, why does it behave differently and how can I make realearn select work like the mentioned actions? I looked up the manual and searched this thread, but I couldn't find an answer.

I would prefer to use the track select from realearn, because of the additional features, otherwise I would just use the reaper action.
I hope somebody can give me some information about it.

Last edited by gofid; 07-02-2024 at 05:13 AM.
gofid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2024, 02:50 AM   #4275
Tinker
Human being with feelings
 
Tinker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2024
Posts: 2
Default Cannot see the VST

Hello there,

I've followed the instructions to install ReaLearn, but at the end of it I can't see the VST in the FX list.

I'm using Reaper 7.17 on OpenSuse, and I've installed the libxdo library as well.

I have a ReaLearn-x64.so in the vst3 folder, but reaper does not load it.

Any suggestion?
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2024, 05:28 AM   #4276
mschnell
Human being with feelings
 
mschnell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Krefeld, Germany
Posts: 15,288
Default

I seem to remember that currently there is no up to date Linux version of ReaLearn.
In Windows ReaLearn is a VSti (i.e. VST2), not a VST3. So I don't suppose the instructions suggested a VST3 folder.

The recommended way to install ReaLearn is via ReaPack. But I don't know about Linux on that behalf.
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2024, 06:28 AM   #4277
seryoga9393
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Apr 2022
Posts: 36
Default Realearn with Arturia KeyLab Essential 88 MK3

Hello! I recently bought Arturia KeyLab Essential 88 MK3 and want to configure it to work with Realearn. Does this controller support feedback? Is it possible to control the backlight of the buttons? I did not find a suitable instruction, please help me. Thanks!
seryoga9393 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2024, 07:51 AM   #4278
Tinker
Human being with feelings
 
Tinker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2024
Posts: 2
Default Cannot see the VST

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
I seem to remember that currently there is no up to date Linux version of ReaLearn.
In Windows ReaLearn is a VSti (i.e. VST2), not a VST3. So I don't suppose the instructions suggested a VST3 folder.

The recommended way to install ReaLearn is via ReaPack. But I don't know about Linux on that behalf.

I did install it via ReaPack, and the folder should not make any difference, as Reaper just looks for plugi-in independently of the format.

ReaLearn appears in Reaper's list of plugins that failed to load, but no further debug message is given. Is there a way to check what caused the plugin to fail?
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2024, 08:49 AM   #4279
mschnell
Human being with feelings
 
mschnell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Krefeld, Germany
Posts: 15,288
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by seryoga9393 View Post
I did not find a suitable instruction
It should come with a Midi implementation sheet in the handbook,showing all sent and received Midi messages.
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2024, 08:53 AM   #4280
mschnell
Human being with feelings
 
mschnell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Krefeld, Germany
Posts: 15,288
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
ReaLearn appears in Reaper's list of plugins that failed to load,
So Reaper does see it. Hence your installation procedure did work.

You might want to try to select an older version to be installed in ReaPack.
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions Inc.