Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 05-19-2019, 08:23 PM   #641
magicchord
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRMJP View Post
Looks nice overall. I'd love to see this more in-line with the Mojave Dark theme, or perhaps also a dedicated dark theme once things get sorted out.

It's already a shade darker than the 5.0 default but some areas are still painfully bright/white like the headers of the windows (transport, main window, floating FX etc) as well as the backgrounds too all the files in item properties.

See attachment.

(humongous image that stretches out the entire page)
Dude! I still do a lot of surfing with a 1024 X 768 screen! Stop with the huge images, please!!
Old 05-19-2019, 08:30 PM   #642
_Stevie_

Just use the Reaper 5 HTML theme, pictures will be resized.
Old 05-20-2019, 12:53 AM   #643
Garrick

looks splendid!!
Old 05-20-2019, 03:39 AM   #644
+NRG

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Stevie_ View Post
This is the answer! B)

Bottom left of the forum page...
Old 05-20-2019, 05:25 AM   #645
nofish

Quote:
There seems to be a lot horizontal space wasted in Reaper 5 HTML theme though compared to Reaper 3 HTML theme.
Full width screenshots:

Reaper 3 HTML theme
https://i.imgur.com/x2R0unO.jpg

Reaper 5 HTML theme:
https://i.imgur.com/qEwQeMO.jpg

edit:
OT here, sorry, but maybe this could also be addressed for Reaper 6 HTML theme (if there will be one)
Old 05-20-2019, 05:45 AM   #646
MRMJP

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicchord View Post
Dude! I still do a lot of surfing with a 1024 X 768 screen! Stop with the huge images, please!!
I will refrain from providing any feedback on this forum. People on this forum are total bitches. Sorry for ruining your forum experience because you choose to use a small screen size. How inconsiderate of me. I should have checked with you first.

Can I get you a refreshment? Back massage? Need anything while I'm at the grocery store?

Is this better?

Last edited by MRMJP; 05-20-2019 at 05:56 AM.
Old 05-20-2019, 07:02 AM   #647
_Stevie_

Sorry for OT but I'm with MRMJP. It's 2019 and screens are getting bigger. Please let's face the future a bit.

@nofish, yeah I agree. That's why I always zoom in to have the full screen width.
Maybe v6 could take care of that.
Old 05-20-2019, 07:52 AM   #648
MaXyM

It's not about display size, but about netiquette too. Even in said 2019, not every one is constantly connected to high speed network, uses high resolution device all the time. Also FUP still happens. Besides of this, there are people who are just not interested in a sub-topic the pics are related to. So why to bother them?

More sad is, that in mentioned 2019, people are lazy and/or ignorant to know that there is an easy way how to attach clickable thumbnail which would satisfy all the parties.
To achieve that, you have to combine url and img tags like this:

You have to replace {} by []
Code:
{url=url_to_original_image}{img}url_to_thumbnail{/img}{/url}
BTW Limiting text column width (like in Reaper 5 HTML theme) is a consequence of using wide monitors. Simply has been figured out that reading text arranged into narrower column is more easy to our eyes because they don't need to swipe from one side to another. Also, since more text might fit single line on a wide monitor, a lot of paragraphs turned into single line. In consequence we end up with multiple single line paragraphs, separated by space. It's obvious it doesn't look nice.

Last edited by MaXyM; 05-21-2019 at 12:10 AM.
Old 05-21-2019, 03:12 AM   #649
Breeder

You know what...old project colors really are crazily bright, but I think I'm starting to like it. It has that "neon feel" Cubase had for me and I really liked that. Makes you feel you're in a spaceship and I mostly do music for spaceship travel

The only thing I'm afraid is eye/mind fatigue in the long run...This is what I like about default 5, you can use it for hours without fatigue. It is quite an accomplishment when you think about how many elements there are in a general DAW program. I find that grayish hue is really easy on the eyes, but it still doesn't encompass your whole vision with one big grey color (like ableton live does).

However, track names being in track color when not record armed really doesn't help with visibility. I would personally pick white text color for track name regardless of other conditions.

Also, notes names in MIDI editor seem too dark to me, can be hard to read at times with dark background

I feel this theme will end up looking beautifully once it's production ready. White Tie, please don't get discouraged by negative feedback, it's all feedback after all, right ;D
Old 05-21-2019, 06:48 AM   #650
JamesPeters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeder View Post
old project colors really are crazily bright, but I think I'm starting to like it.
The only thing I'm afraid is eye/mind fatigue in the long run...
I find that grayish hue is really easy on the eyes, but it still doesn't encompass your whole vision with one big grey color
Did you try the feature of the script that dims the colors for the entire project?

Also you can now choose whatever hue and lightness of color you want. If you want the tracks to be a little bit grayish, you can just set a color palette to have those colors and use them.
Old 05-21-2019, 07:04 AM   #651
gappie

ive been playing around with the new skin the last week. i have a problem when in the theme adjuster>mixer control panel, i choose "extend with side bar" when track armed. it will extend on armed and unarmed tracks. same is true for the other choices too, like narrow form, or when choosing "if track not armed"

gab
Old 05-21-2019, 07:38 AM   #652
Reno.thestraws

Quote:
In my opinion, you could get rid of everything that's already available through a simple right-click on the Record button. That's how I do it anyway, it's faster for me. I just right-click, monitor the input, select the input and activate the Record state. It's a one-click stop.
Hell no, because. Swipe!
Old 05-21-2019, 07:41 AM   #653
Breeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
Did you try the feature of the script that dims the colors for the entire project?
I did and it looks good, but the moment you switch to another theme, you have to correct it again. I can't work like that cause I switch themes all the time (got 8 of them setup to work with my templates) to keep the blood pumping. So for now, Default 6 is my neon-colors-go-to-theme
Old 05-21-2019, 10:47 AM   #654
magicchord

Quote:
Thank you for your HELPFUL reply.
Old 05-21-2019, 11:51 AM   #655
JamesPeters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeder View Post
I did and it looks good, but the moment you switch to another theme, you have to correct it again. I can't work like that cause I switch themes all the time (got 8 of them setup to work with my templates) to keep the blood pumping. So for now, Default 6 is my neon-colors-go-to-theme
If I change themes, I usually have to change colors. So this is nothing new for me.
Old 05-21-2019, 12:28 PM   #656
ramses

Quote:

Also you can now choose whatever hue and lightness of color you want. If you want the tracks to be a little bit grayish, you can just set a color palette to have those colors and use them.
This whole procedure seems very convoluted and backwards to me. I pick colors that I want to use, I don't pick them in order to dim/change them at a later stage. We need to be able to actually use the colors we actually choose, this should be a core feature of the standard theme.
Old 05-21-2019, 01:07 PM   #657
JamesPeters

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramses View Post
This whole procedure seems very convoluted and backwards to me. I pick colors that I want to use, I don't pick them in order to dim/change them at a later stage. We need to be able to actually use the colors we actually choose, this should be a core feature of the standard theme.
I have tried to pick the colors I want to use with the Default 5 theme (and some others) but am not able to. With this Default 6 alpha theme, I can pick the colors I want to. They are actually what I pick, not a greyed-up or dimmed version of it.

The dimming function of the script has limited usefulness to me, unless I'm switching from another theme which has brighter colors chosen (which end up "washed-out" such as in the Default 5 theme). If I load a project with colors chosen for Default 5, they'll be too saturated etc. in Default 6 alpha. That's when I might want to use that feature.

The same can be said for lots of other themes. Sometimes the colors are bright, sometimes dark, sometimes saturated, sometimes less saturated.

Whenever I've edited a theme, I've made it such that I can color the tracks more accurately--such as in the Default 6 alpha theme.

I wouldn't consider the dimming function very important. But it's nice for transitioning a project that was made in Default 5 (or some other theme which has the colors more greyed-out etc.)

Last edited by JamesPeters; 05-21-2019 at 01:51 PM.
Old 05-21-2019, 02:26 PM   #658
SubbaseDnB

personally i never liked the default themes.But for the first time i actually like working in this default theme.

really looking forward to see and work with this when its finished
Old 05-21-2019, 02:28 PM   #659
SubbaseDnB

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubbaseDnB View Post
One Thought would it be possible to be able to hide some elements in the mixer unless a track is selected?just like we can in the track panels?

small bump on thoughts on this?
Old 05-21-2019, 02:41 PM   #660
ramses

Quote:
I have tried to pick the colors I want to use with the Default 5 theme (and some others) but am not able to. With this Default 6 alpha theme, I can pick the colors I want to. They are actually what I pick, not a greyed-up or dimmed version of it.
Sure. It's great that the theme retains the colors we actually pick. This is not the problem. The problem is that they are way overfeatured (IMO), covering the entirety of the track panels, making it difficult to pick out selected tracks, etc, unless you go ahead and dim them all down again.

I would wager the absolute majority of users pick bright, primary colors for their tracks, like I do, intense blue (drums), deep red (bass), whatever. Colors are a sorting mechanism first and foremost.

I wish WT would go ahead and try minimizing the areas that get colored on track panels, and turn these areas into cleverly positioned colorstrips instead. It would make the theme much more cohesive and completely negate the need to fiddle with dimming/washing out bright and distinct color choices.
Old 05-21-2019, 05:32 PM   #661
Breeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramses View Post
I wish WT would go ahead and try minimizing the areas that get colored on track panels, and turn these areas into cleverly positioned colorstrips instead. It would make the theme much more cohesive and completely negate the need to fiddle with dimming/washing out bright and distinct color choices.

This is a good idea - playing with elements instead of the background. The less colors, the more stronger you can make them without over-saturating the senses. So the theme would keep the neon-look but it would be less "in-your face" and probably be less fatiguing
Old 05-23-2019, 09:23 AM   #662
srdmusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Tie View Post
Please find attached the Alpha 1 of the Reaper V6 Default theme and its associated adjuster script.
Hey White Tie, Firstly I want to say that I am so grateful to you for taking on this project with the devs. Your Imperial theme and knowledge of walter is clearly the best we have among us on the forum.

I have to say that I'm a little surprised with how the V6 theme is turning out. Don't get me wrong, I really appreciate all the new features of the theme but when I heard that you were going to be involved I got a little excited thinking that finally Reaper would get the much needed face lift that it needs.

To me the current state of the v6 theme is not really what I expected for a full version upgrade. It feels more like a v5.5 with new features. I think we can all agree the that default Reaper theme is not quite a pretty to look at as some of the other competitors there like Abelton, Cubase, Logic, etc. The default theme was what initially turned me off to Reaper before I finally switch off Cubase. If I have to look at high contrast backgrounds everyday, I'll go blind.

Again please don't take any of this offensive, You are a true genius and what I'm really trying to do is inspire you break the mold and do something completely different with the V6. Give us something that really makes Reaper look like the Modern powerful DAW that it is.

Please check out the following theme I've modified. Here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vlcmhgwmpm...rThemeZip?dl=0

I have taken elements from the iLogic theme, Fusion, and your Imperial theme to create something that I feel is much more modern feeling that the default. I would like to see something more experimental for the V6. What do you think?

Old 05-23-2019, 09:25 AM   #663
srdmusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofish View Post
There seems to be a lot horizontal space wasted in Reaper 5 HTML theme though compared to Reaper 3 HTML theme.
Full width screenshots:

Reaper 3 HTML theme
https://i.imgur.com/x2R0unO.jpg

Reaper 5 HTML theme:
https://i.imgur.com/qEwQeMO.jpg

edit:
OT here, sorry, but maybe this could also be addressed for Reaper 6 HTML theme (if there will be one)
+1 Yeah, the website does sort of feel like it's still in 1995 mode. We have some geniuses on the forum. There has to be someone that is willing to help the DEV's with this.
Old 05-23-2019, 12:57 PM   #664
SubbaseDnB

Quote:
Originally Posted by srdmusic View Post

To me the current state of the v6 theme is not really what I expected for a full version upgrade. It feels more like a v5.5 with new features. I think we can all agree the that default Reaper theme is not quite a pretty to look at as some of the other competitors there like Abelton, Cubase, Logic, etc. The default theme was what initially turned me off to Reaper before I finally switch off Cubase. If I have to look at high contrast backgrounds everyday, I'll go blind.

The theme is in alpha stage,so no where near finished
Old 05-23-2019, 01:04 PM   #665
srdmusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubbaseDnB View Post
The theme is in alpha stage,so no where near finished
I believe I wasn't clear enough about what I meant. White Tie seems to be concentrating pretty much exclusively to slight veriations on features of the default them instead of the clearly underwhelming astetic of the default them when comparing it to other daws or even other themes White Tie has created. I personally believe the reason white Tie is being brought on for a redesign is that he so good at the visual design aspects of his themes. I just wish he was focusing more on that side of things. You might be right in that we won't see major changes like that until a Beta but isn't that really the most crucal part of theme building. Isn't well thought out astetics kind of the point of a theme?
Old 05-23-2019, 02:17 PM   #666
EpicSounds

Quote:
I personally believe the reason white Tie is being brought on for a redesign is that he so good at the visual design aspects of his themes. I just wish he was focusing more on that side of things.
WhiteTie has made all the default 3, 4, 5, and 6 themes. You're basically saying 'the guy that did v5 sucks, I'm so glad White Tie is doing the new one'. Same person yo!
Old 05-23-2019, 02:30 PM   #667
SubbaseDnB

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicSounds View Post
WhiteTie has made all the default 3, 4, 5, and 6 themes. You're basically saying 'the guy that did v5 sucks, I'm so glad White Tie is doing the new one'. Same person yo!
Totally Agree
Old 05-23-2019, 02:42 PM   #668
srdmusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicSounds View Post
I am saying that the v5 and v6 themes are not as aesthetically pleasing as other DAWs and even other themes White Tie has created. I am by no means saying that White Tie sucks. Far from it. He's the best we have.

I believe that if we are going to do a big rework of the Reaper theme for v6, we should actually do a rework and bring Reaper GUI into something more modern.

You guys have to admit, the default theme kind of looks like Cakewalk circa 1995. There are many examples out there of DAW's, Reaper themes and Media editing software that have updated modern feel.

Admittedly this is a subjective opinion but it is an opinion that has been often shared on this forum and by many of my composer friend.
Old 05-23-2019, 02:57 PM   #669
Lokasenna

Quote:
You guys have to admit, the default theme kind of looks like Cakewalk circa 1995. There are many examples out there of DAW's, Reaper themes and Media editing software that have updated modern feel.
We don't, and it doesn't.

Reaper has only ever looked like that when you break a theme and it falls back to the Reaper 1.0 theme. The bits that look particularly yucky are the bits that White Tie can't theme.
Old 05-24-2019, 06:31 AM   #670
MRMJP

So far I enjoy the V6 alpha, but I'm still playing around with things that may be an issue due to sessions being made before installing the 6.0 theme. Some of the track settings that hide or show track input, or track FX for example seem to be reverting and I'm not sure if these are global settings, or session specific settings.

Will updates to the theme be posted (and buried) in this thread? Or will they get a new thread?

Last edited by MRMJP; 05-24-2019 at 06:36 AM.
Old 05-24-2019, 11:32 AM   #671
Herr Nox

Quote:
I am saying that the v5 and v6 themes are not as aesthetically pleasing as other DAWs and even other themes White Tie has created. I am by no means saying that White Tie sucks. Far from it. He's the best we have.

I believe that if we are going to do a big rework of the Reaper theme for v6, we should actually do a rework and bring Reaper GUI into something more modern.

Admittedly this is a subjective opinion but it is an opinion that has been often shared on this forum and by many of my composer friend.
This debate has been closed pretty early in the thread. White Tie won't design by commitee. That being said, I'm also of the opinion, as I've stated before, that the theme should have gotten a major update.

At first I was really excited since we were getting closer and closer to V6. I couldn't wait to find out how it would look. Maybe my expectations were unfair, but as you mentionned, it turned out to be a continuation of what we already had.

I thought we were going to get a new color palette, new buttons and knobs, new icons, etc. In other words, a completely new theme.

White Tie succeeded in updating what was already there. He's really doing great work. It just isn't different enough for me to justify leaving my I Logic theme. But again, it's all on me and my expectations.
Old 05-24-2019, 03:43 PM   #672
lowellben

This entire theme situation is just a giant mess.
Old 05-24-2019, 05:42 PM   #673
krahosk

Quote:

Please check out the following theme I've modified. Here:

I have taken elements from the iLogic theme, Fusion, and your Imperial theme to create something that I feel is much more modern feeling that the default. I would like to see something more experimental for the V6. What do you think?
Heteroclite. It's just a collage of different themes, some photo-realist, some flat. I prefer where V6 is going. It's more elaborate and planned.
Old 05-24-2019, 10:14 PM   #674
Eddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by krahosk View Post
Heteroclite. It's just a collage of different themes, some photo-realist, some flat. I prefer where V6 is going. It's more elaborate and planned.
completely agree - I dont like the srdmusic theme at all. From what I have seen the V6 theme presents a good refinement of the reaper look, certainly more readable. One criticism I would have is the play/rewind etc icons seem inconsistent with the rest of the look
Old 05-24-2019, 11:39 PM   #675
+NRG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post
We don't, and it doesn't.

Reaper has only ever looked like that when you break a theme and it falls back to the Reaper 1.0 theme. The bits that look particularly yucky are the bits that White Tie can't theme.
Wow, that’s a blast from the past! B)
Old 05-25-2019, 12:06 AM   #676
+NRG

I really like where the v6 theme is headed! Once released there will be many mods to suit various tastes and points of view...

I’m looking forward to updates to the v6 theme and script!
Old 05-25-2019, 11:28 AM   #677
Swi

This is going great so far. Thank you.

I do with for a theme that has all my controls on the track and have a big enough space for longer names which this does for the most part. Wish width was in expanded track. Send levels would be a game changer.
Being able to customize color intensity is really fantastic.
The color setting dont save so the next time I boot reaper I have to dim the colors again.
Is there an updated link or are updates on the same link.
Switching back to Hydra until you lock this down.
Thanks WT.
Old 05-25-2019, 09:02 PM   #678
Tomm

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Tie View Post
discuss its functionality, how it interacts with its script, and its many opportunities for future modding.
This is bit off topic from the actual bug reporting of the UI, but the OP did say we could discuss this...

I haven't dug too deep into this massive effort yet, but from the first impression it looks like one opportunity would be to simplify things further instead of adding more complexity. For example, a default theme or template that is at first glance stripped of the more advanced features, but adapts the ui to include them as they are sought-out. I'm seeing this behavior in more apps these days which is cool, but with REAPER we might be able to experiment with it as a community a bit easier because of the openness of it all. I don't think any of the efforts shown here are really off-putting to newcomers, but that is of course a risk. A lot of us here know what happened to Logic at point in their development, and how they've made changes for the better. I dunno exactly what this would look like, but it could be as simple as how Blender comes shipped with many add-ons that are not initially enabled, or how those ribbon systems in some apps populate with the more often-used actions.

That being said, I did introduce REAPER to my dad who, being a lot older and less computer savvy, I thought would be overwhelmed by the interface and all the options. He has not only enjoyed using reaper but he's found ways to go about doing things I hadn't thought of and I've been using it since pre v1. This is really a testament to the great UI design and fun attitude of the app, and how us old curmudgeons here are just a bit baised and maybe exercise a bit too harsh a tough-love attitude, mostly BECAUSE we see so much potential with this ever expanding flexibility being demonstrated here.

in any case, keep up the good work everyone!
Old 05-26-2019, 04:01 AM   #679
xpander

Just a reminder that this is still happening in TCP when the panels are dragged narrow:

The highlighted "noise" areas appear if the meter location is set to Right in the Theme adjuster. Apparently these are the vertical track names compressed into tiny lines.
Old 05-26-2019, 04:01 AM   #680
Edison

Default Master

Hello guys!

This only happens with the Master track

Look at the picture.

Last edited by Edison; 08-12-2019 at 02:33 AM.
Closed Thread