Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 11-18-2017, 01:33 PM   #1
preferred.nomenclature
Human being with feelings

Default Can a track send midi to its parent like it does audio?

I'd love to have a track dedicated to receiving MIDI input from my controller, and be able to simply drag that track into one folder or another and have it route MIDI to its parent (the way audio is similarly routed in folders, without all the mouse clicks that would otherwise be required). Doesn't seem possible from what I gather but I figured I'd ask.
preferred.nomenclature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 02:06 PM   #2
foxAsteria

Yea it works. MIDI and audio goes to the parent. You can also do it with sends.
Old 11-18-2017, 02:22 PM   #3
preferred.nomenclature

Right, but I'm wondering if I can do do it without explicitly establishing the sends. It happens with audio - let's say I have Track 1, just an empty track with a reverb on it, and track 2, a track with no fx and a recording of a dry rimshot. If I drag track 2 "into" track 1 in the TCP, that creates a folder setup, and when press play I will hear a rimshot with reverb.

What I'd like to do is have a similar scenario where track 1 has a vst instrument on it and track 2 has some MIDI and track 2's MIDI will play through track 1's instument. I don't think it's my lucky day though.
Old 11-18-2017, 02:24 PM   #4
preferred.nomenclature

Oh shit, I misread your comment - you're right it does work, I just didn't have record monitoring on track 2. Thanks!
Old 11-18-2017, 02:25 PM   #5
foxAsteria

It's always been like that. You sure your Instrument track is receiving on the right channel? That would be in the plugin settings. Try setting it to "All" or "Omni."
Old 11-18-2017, 03:25 PM   #6
TonE

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
It's always been like that.
Yes, and this is the most powerful way of using Reaper imo. Who uses it differently does not use all available power in Reaper. This way you can create lots of child tracks, mute them, partially, all going up to its parent, perfect design, no matter if midi or audio. You can do all your detailed edits in the child tracks, then even make those tracks invisible, just bringing them up again if you want to change something, the arrange does not look complicated, but the sound can.

Summary:
-use child tracks extensively
-use child (or even parent) track invisibility extensively
-use mouseover editing wherever possible
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 06:16 PM   #7
foxAsteria

There is a caveat to putting audio tracks into folders. If you also use sends on those child tracks, you can NOT adjust the level of all the child tracks via the folder parent or you will upset the wet/dry balance of the mix.

Adjusting parent volume doesn't affect send levels, so be aware of this. I've made custom layouts for folder parents with all controls but mute and solo removed to avoid accidentally running into this issue.
Old 11-19-2017, 06:51 AM   #8
TonE

Oh, best or most powerful way of creating sends is using tracks, at least for the main groups, like 7 groups in my case. I demonstrated it here some time ago, response here was everyone knows this, this is boring. Ok. Then sends are midi controllable, sidechainable, anything else you can imagine, full power on the sends. I create those tracks again as child tracks to the efx tracks where the send effect is loaded.
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 01:38 PM   #9
foxAsteria

Sorry, I guess I'm missing your point TonE...