Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 08-01-2021, 01:37 PM   #1
sjs94704
Human being with feelings

Default Dynamic Vocal Processing-Which method works best for you?

Hey, ALL:

I have been watching some of Kenny Gioia's videos on DVP and I undersand about how to do two different ways.

First is to split the VOX track phrase by phrase and adjust the volume.
Second is to use a volume envelope to DRAW the volume levels up/down.

In my project I have multiple vocal tracks so I just wanted to post here to get some feedback from you all about your opinions of the PROS/CONS of each of these methods, or is there maybe a different method that YOU use?

So, what do you say on this subject?
Old 08-01-2021, 02:06 PM   #2
fred garvin

I use both, chop and tweak is quick and easy for say rough balancing different sections or phrases that will then have a volume envelope drawn over them or for precision detail work like pop removal or whatnot.

Volume envelopes are great for mixing. I'll draw or ride and record a rough outline, which then can be point edited to perfection, or insanity.

Good luck, have fun!
fred garvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 01:05 PM   #3
Philbo King

If there are annoying or clashing frequencies, EQ.
If the levels are inconsistent, compression.
If it's a great vocal take, nothing.
Old 08-02-2021, 01:47 PM   #4
Fabian

I use the Envelope-Based Compressor https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=181934 on all vocals. It creates a take volume envelope which effectuates compression, and then I tweak that envelope manually wherever necessary, for instance, lowering plosives and ess'es. Works great.
Old 08-03-2021, 11:20 PM   #5
fred garvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabian View Post
I use the Envelope-Based Compressor...
Wow, that looks awesome. Quick question (I mean I know I could read the 4 pages of comments, and actually I did skim them, but I'm not clear and hopefully you can help me understand more fully ): How does that work within a mix? For instance once I run it, how do I ride the overall track volume like I would a track with a compressor on it? What if I want to run a limiter or etc. on it? Etc. etc., I guess the real question is are there limitations imposed by this, or can I do anything I could with a plugin compressed track?

TIA!
fred garvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 10:17 AM   #6
Fabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred garvin View Post
Wow, that looks awesome. Quick question (I mean I know I could read the 4 pages of comments, and actually I did skim them, but I'm not clear and hopefully you can help me understand more fully ): How does that work within a mix? For instance once I run it, how do I ride the overall track volume like I would a track with a compressor on it? What if I want to run a limiter or etc. on it? Etc. etc., I guess the real question is are there limitations imposed by this, or can I do anything I could with a plugin compressed track?

TIA!
What it does is it creates a take volume envelope. This envelope is applied by Reaper on the raw source, before it arriving at the track.
Anything you want to do on the track level, eq, compression, limiting, saturation..., you can still do; no limits
Old 08-05-2021, 11:13 PM   #7
sjs94704

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabian View Post
I use the Envelope-Based Compressor https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=181934 on all vocals. It creates a take volume envelope which effectuates compression, and then I tweak that envelope manually wherever necessary, for instance, lowering plosives and ess'es. Works great.
OK, so I went and downloaded the files for this.... TO THE DESIGNER.... Can you PLEASE just make your README file a plain old PDF.... For some reason, my Acrobat file reader won't open the README.md file so I have no idea how to properly install this! At least at the moment anyway! BUT,.....PDF over .md file any day!
Old 08-05-2021, 11:42 PM   #8
JamesPeters

A .md file is readable text. You can open it in a text reader of your choice. At least with PDF readers/editors in Linux, it also formats them nicely (links, font sizes, etc.) despite being a tiny simple text file. It's a common file type for software developers, used on Github as the main "readme" file. That's probably why he used it.

Also the author of that script has sadly passed away. As such, he will not be redoing the documentation.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 10:11 AM   #9
Fabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjs94704 View Post
OK, so I went and downloaded the files for this.... TO THE DESIGNER.... Can you PLEASE just make your README file a plain old PDF.... For some reason, my Acrobat file reader won't open the README.md file so I have no idea how to properly install this! At least at the moment anyway! BUT,.....PDF over .md file any day!
As already mentioned, the *.md file is just a text file. And it is a standard github thing.

But... I advise you to install the script via ReaPack, https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=177978. Much smoother, once you have the ReaPack extension installed. Also, a huge number of useful scripts is available from there. It's the bee's knees, as some say
Old 08-06-2021, 03:17 PM   #10
sjs94704

OK, well first, I am saddened to hear the person passed away.

Regarding the files for this plugin, I am not sure what to do with them.

When I use notepad to open the md file all I get is this:

# ReaScripts
ReaScripts(eel, lua)

Beyound this there are no instruction of what to do.....

I am totally not familiar with .eel files and I have no idea what to do with the file(s) to be able to use the VST......

What directories should I put these files in? I'm just a bit frustrated on this one!
Old 08-06-2021, 11:52 PM   #11
poulhoi

Quote:

# ReaScripts
ReaScripts(eel, lua)

I am totally not familiar with .eel files and I have no idea what to do with the file(s) to be able to use the VST......

What directories should I put these files in? I'm just a bit frustrated on this one!
Open Reaper and go to Options -> Show Reaper resource path in explorer/finder

In that folder find the Scripts folder and put your new script in there.

Then open the action list, select Load ReaScript and select your new files.

Now the script is available as an action. It’s not a plugin, just an extension of the list of actions that Reaaper can perform.
Old 08-07-2021, 09:50 AM   #12
Fabian

Quote:

# ReaScripts
ReaScripts(eel, lua)

Install it through ReaPack (see link in my earlier post above). Then everything will be handled for you. After the install, you find it as an action in the action list.
Old 08-07-2021, 10:31 AM   #13
sjs94704

Sorry, at this point this is a bit overwhelming ....I know that to all of you it is easy to do this, but to a newbie, and being uncertyain if I am putting the right file in the right directory.... Sorry, no thanks! I don't need this plugin that bad to go through what for me is a lot of stress to figure ot, so thanks so much for trying to help me on this one, but I am just not therer yet with knowing what I am doing to get how to do this...

I hope you all can understand and appreciate that there are just so many options and buttons and knobs for EVERYTHING which is so great and I am eager to learn, but with this, it might sound easy, but its NOT!

I'm just not there yet to know for sure what I'm doing...

My goal was to get a quick pluging to accomplish my goal and move on... not to go through all of this!!!! I know what to do with DLL files and for now, that's good enough for me!