Old 07-14-2021, 07:50 PM   #1
Sunshy
Human being with feelings

Default Reacontrol or CSI?

First post! Just started with Reaper but have been using Cubase for many years. Am wondering what the easiest way to setup my control surface (Midi Fighter Twister) with Reaper. Reacontrol or CSI? I use my control surface to control insert plugins. Is there a way to set it up like Cubase (midi learn, move knob, set parameter)? CSI looks great, but I am not sure I want to delve into the programming at this time as I'm just starting to get my key commands in order. Thank you.
Sunshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 08:38 AM   #2
MST

I think the Realearn plugin, easy to use with good results and the owner also uses Twister.
And the Twister owners with CSI will probably easily help you out with this, it's not as intimidating as it looks,,
And otherwise there is always the normal midi learn,,
MST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 08:51 AM   #3
Funkybot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshy View Post
First post! Just started with Reaper but have been using Cubase for many years. Am wondering what the easiest way to setup my control surface (Midi Fighter Twister) with Reaper. Reacontrol or CSI? I use my control surface to control insert plugins. Is there a way to set it up like Cubase (midi learn, move knob, set parameter)? CSI looks great, but I am not sure I want to delve into the programming at this time as I'm just starting to get my key commands in order. Thank you.
I'm using CSI with a single MIDI Fighter Twister for mostly FX control and would be happy to share my setup to help you along, including about 200 FX maps. If you have some of the same effects great, if not, it'll give you a starting point. Now, I also use a spare iPad as a display for the MFTwister so I can see what's assigned to which parameters. You can only do stuff like that in CSI.

If interested, talk about how you want the FX Control to work. Do you want focused plugins automatically mapped? Do you want plugins on the selected track automatically mapped? How are you expecting this to work?
Funkybot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 10:05 AM   #4
mschnell

A major difference is that with ReaLearn you do a configuration per project, while with CSI you do a configuration per "installation".
-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 10:08 AM   #5
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkybot View Post
I ... would be happy to share my setup to help
IMHO it's a tragedy that ReaPack still can't be used to share CSI configuration files.

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 01:34 PM   #6
Sunshy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkybot View Post
If interested, talk about how you want the FX Control to work. Do you want focused plugins automatically mapped? Do you want plugins on the selected track automatically mapped? How are you expecting this to work?
Thank you all for the thoughts. In Cubase I believe only the plugins on the selected tracks can be controlled, so this makes the most sense to me. Been doing this for a while so I have many of the usual suspects plugins. Was trying to simply my workflow/choices so I bought a Console 1. Like that and may just use it as designed rather than as a generic midi controller. Would use the Twister for plugins outside the bread and butter the C1 offers. Would love to load up your setup and see if I can make heads & tails of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
A major difference is that with ReaLearn you do a configuration per project, while with CSI you do a configuration per "installation".
-Michael
This is good to know. Makes want to put in the time to learn CSI.
Sunshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 01:49 PM   #7
helgoboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
-Michael
FYI, ReaLearn does both. You can also have one configuration per "installation" by simply putting a ReaLearn instance on the monitoring FX chain.
helgoboss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 02:13 PM   #8
Sunshy

Though I don't even know what this means (yet), thanks for the info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by helgoboss View Post
FYI, ReaLearn does both. You can also have one configuration per "installation" by simply putting a ReaLearn instance on the monitoring FX chain.
Old 07-16-2021, 02:30 PM   #9
helgoboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshy View Post
Though I don't even know what this means (yet), thanks for the info!
It's an ingenious feature of REAPER which allows you to apply arbitrary FX to all audio output before it reaches your audio interface - no matter which project is loaded. View => Monitoring FX.

Putting the ReaLearn VST plug-in on the monitoring FX chain won't affect your audio output in any way but it will cause ReaLearn to be permanently active, ready to fulfill your custom control surface needs in the background.
helgoboss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 07:02 PM   #10
Sunshy

Cool! I'm guessing I could also put room correction EQ on this?
Old 07-16-2021, 09:40 PM   #11
MST

Both methods have access to the same plugin parameters Reaper provides.
MST is offline   Reply With Quote