Old 05-26-2020, 12:21 PM   #1
JimS
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper Instruments

Hi Folks,

Brand new user of Reaper, downloaded first time yesterday morning and spent the day watching Kenny's videos, which were excellent.

My background is a gigging musician for years, singer/guitar player. I wrote some tunes years ago using a Yamaha 4 track cassette player and only recently started using a DAW; Cubase LE 9.0 which came free with an Audient interface. Of course, been struggling with Cubase big time and then someone mentioned to checkout Reaper. After watching Kenny's videos, I was sold. Bye bye Cubase.

I'm still very fresh to the whole DAW thing and will be going on a major learning curve for a while. My first project is going to be a cover of "Everybody Wants to Rule the World". I found the shaker sound, but am still looking for the synth sounds, which I'm to understand is from a Prophet 6. The search continues.

My question is about the Instruments, in Kenny's videos he mentioned Reaper comes with a lot of stuff, but I found only a few instruments in the menu. Is there another file I need to download that has instruments? Thanks all!

Jim
JimS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 12:29 PM   #2
Tobbe

Hi,

Their are tons of free VSTi out there. If you into orchestra music we have Spitfire Labs free instruments. We also got Orchestral Tools. And this place: http://www.vst4free.com. Not only vsti, but also top notch reverbs, EQ, delays. Good reverbs are DragonFly Suite.
Old 05-26-2020, 12:36 PM   #3
billybuck

Jim, the Reaper instruments are pretty bare-bones, likely designed to get you through in a pinch, IMO. While they can be used to recreate a lot of sounds, you’d probably need to use multiple instances of them, along with incorporating other Reaper effects. That’s probably a little daunting if you’re just starting in a DAW.

As the previous poster suggests, a better option might be to find free VST’s that emulate the sounds you’re shooting for. Here’s one that does the Prophet 5

http://www.vst4free.com/free_vst.php...phanity&id=778

It’s an older, 32-bit plugin, but one of Reaper’s advantages is that it can handle 32.bit plugins without additional bridging software.
billybuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 12:38 PM   #4
jonova

Reaper does not have built-in instruments, but as it was said earlier - it's a lot f great free stuff available on the Internet
I can also recommend Spitfire BBC Discover, AAS Swatches, ProjectSAM Free Orchestra, KLANG free innstruments, Pianobook or Kontakt Player with Komplete Start Bundle from Native Instruments.
hello there, I'm mostly procrastinating and sleeping, but if somehow I'll manage to do something - it's a soundtrack to one of my fav movies or something... you can check my www.soundcloud.com/iamjonova if you want, thanks!
jonova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 02:25 PM   #5
martifingers

Welcome Jim S.

Apart from all the suggestions so far you could always use the instruments that came with Cubase! You will have to make them available to REAPER by adding them in OPTIONs/PREFERENCEs/VST. I am sure there will be help available if you run into trouble with that.
martifingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 07:52 PM   #6
JimS

Thanks for all the suggestions, very helpful, will be checking out those links. Appreciate the help for finding the Prophet sounds.
Old 05-27-2020, 09:13 PM   #7
JimS

My midi has suddenly stopped working, getting no signal from the keyboard anymore. Nothing changed, just stopped receiving the signals.
Old 05-27-2020, 09:17 PM   #8
JimS

And of course, the solution was to watch Kenny's video on Midi Devices. Fixed.
Old 05-27-2020, 11:57 PM   #9
ivansc

A belated welcome to the forums & Reaper! I generally suggest people watch Kenny`s (and other`s) free tutorials, but I am pleased to see you are already there! Have fun.