Old 01-22-2010, 01:03 AM   #1
Gary Must
Human being with feelings

Default Merging Midi Clips

Can anyone guide me on how to merge midi clips. I tried using the implode function but i doesn't do what i want.

Eg

TRK1 - Drums
TRK2 - Fills and other percussion

so i need to combine these so they are all on one track.I know there is a simple answer i just can't find it.
Gary Must is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 02:30 AM   #2
gofer
-blänk-

Getting all selected items onto one track is easy (rightclick -> Item processing -> Implode, selected items across tracks into items on one track) just they will still be separate items, not merged.

But they will be merged when you use "glue selected items" as a second step. So either it's two visits of the item's rightclick menu or

you build a custom action out of
- Item: Set selected items mix behavior to always mix
- Item: implode items across tracks into items on one track
- Item Glue selected items

..., call it "Implode selected items into one single item" or something and add it to a menu of your choice (or make a toolbar button with that combo assigned).

Last edited by gofer; 01-22-2010 at 11:43 AM. Reason: added a line to the custom action
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 08:59 AM   #3
Gary Must

When i do the implode tracks it ends up as one clip sat on top of another with only the top clip playing. If i move the top clip out of the way then the bottom clip plays.

I have tried highlighting both and gluing them together but still the top clip has priority.

I have managed to get this to work on another project but only on certain clips. SO i can't explain why some do it and some don't.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:27 AM   #4
gofer
-blänk-

That sounds as if you used "implode selected items across tracks into takes" instead of "implode selected items across tracks into items on one track".

Or not all items have been selected when you did the glue.

When you select your items and do "implode selected items across tracks into items on one track" all items will still be selected, so you can continue with "glue" right away without changing selection.

I really recommend you to build that custom action and put it into your context menu (or create a toolbar button for it. As far as I checked, it works every time (as long as you don't mix MIDI and audio items for that function, which of course will not work).
Old 01-22-2010, 10:13 AM   #5
Gary Must

Ok so i have worked out why it doesn't do it.

The clips have to be the same length.

I have recorded two parts and stopped in different places for each track. Do implode and it doesn't work.

Now if i re size each clip the same length then it works. I don't even have to split/glue before hand.

Can you confirm your is the same by recording midi clips of different lengths please?
Old 01-22-2010, 10:43 AM   #6
gofer
-blänk-

AH-HA!, I think now I get what's happening.
The item mix behavior is tricking you. Set it to "always mix" and in that case it will work with items of different lengths. So, if you put the action "Item: Set selected items mix behavior to always mix" at the top of that custom action, you hopefully are finally there .

Maybe consider to put "Item: Set selected items mix behavior to default" at the end, if you need to switch back that option for the resulting item. [EDIT: that's not needed apparently the glued item is set to default anyway)

*knocks on wood*

Last edited by gofer; 01-22-2010 at 10:50 AM.