Old 01-21-2011, 02:20 AM   #1
(tuesday)
Human being with feelings

Default easy chopped-slice triggering?

okay, here's what i want to be able to do:

1) slice up an audio item into individual beats, notes, etc. i already do this all the time so i'm quite experienced with that aspect of it. i am aware of the dynamic split function, but i prefer to do it manually using tab to transient and slice.

2) drag and drop these individual slices (WITHOUT rendering them into individual files) into some kind of sampler VST (please recommend sampler VSTs, preferably freeware).

3) trigger the playback of the various individual slices on demand, using MIDI or better yet just my computer keyboard or (best of all) numpad.

here's a video of someone doing this exact thing in cubase using groove agent one (i've deep-linked to the drag-and-drop part, everything before that point just deals with slicing samples):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1-vDTsmN9M&t=3m30s

here's another one, same idea:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kzmCZVKSKg&t=1m31s

how can i best do this in REAPER?
i don't really understand the reasamplomatic but i don't think it can do anything like this (please correct me if i'm wrong).

please recommend any VSTs that can help me do this, the cheaper (or free-er) the better, and the more MPC-like the better too. groove agent is the obvious choice here but apparently it's only available as a part of cubase, which i don't want to buy, and furthermore i don't even know if it can be used as a VST within REAPER.
(tuesday) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 03:39 AM   #2
nofish

Shortcircuit has a slice function and is free.

http://vemberaudio.se/shortcircuit.php
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 03:54 AM   #3
JFX

Couldn't see the vids at work so not shure what you try to do... BUT do try the reasamplomatic 5000 plugin - included in the reaper install. Try the 'Import selected item from arrange' within reasamplomatic.

/JfX
JFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 04:24 AM   #4
zoid9

Shortcircuit is excellent for this. You can chop your samples, apply fx to the slices (or not), and Alt+Ctrl drag them into Shortcircuit. The slices will also be rendered to the project directory. If you have Battery and/or Kontakt, you can do the same thing. I'm pretty sure that this will work for any plugin that lets you drag samples into/onto it.
Old 01-21-2011, 04:39 AM   #5
(tuesday)

thanks for the suggestions.

i had previously downloaded and installed shortcircuit, but couldn't do much with it. i couldn't drag and drop any items into it (it just dropped them onto whatever track was behind the GUI), nor find any other way of loading samples.

i also couldn't find any help, manual or other documentation. even the forums on the shortcircuit website aren't being used anymore.

is there a trick to dragging and dropping slices?

oh, and in case i wasn't clear on this point -- i want to do all my slicing in the regular REAPER workflow, not in the sampler; THEN drag and drop the slices into the sampler.
Old 01-21-2011, 04:49 AM   #6
zoid9

Quote:
Originally Posted by (tuesday) View Post
thanks for the suggestions.

i had previously downloaded and installed shortcircuit, but couldn't do much with it. i couldn't drag and drop any items into it (it just dropped them onto whatever track was behind the GUI), nor find any other way of loading samples.

i also couldn't find any help, manual or other documentation. even the forums on the shortcircuit website aren't being used anymore.

is there a trick to dragging and dropping slices?

oh, and in case i wasn't clear on this point -- i want to do all my slicing in the regular REAPER workflow, not in the sampler; THEN drag and drop the slices into the sampler.
The trick to dragging any sample from a Reaper arrangement to any plugin, is to hold Alt + Ctrl while dragging.
Old 01-21-2011, 04:56 AM   #7
(tuesday)

thanks! i got it to work by ctrl+alt+dragging it onto the piano roll on the side. is there a better way/place to do that?
Old 01-21-2011, 04:58 AM   #8
(tuesday)

ooh! just discovered pad-view! nice!
Old 01-21-2011, 05:04 AM   #9
(tuesday)

okay, i think i'm gonna have fun with this one. thanks for your help!

please feel free to post any more hints or suggestions for playing around with slices in shortcircuit!
Old 01-21-2011, 05:07 AM   #10
zoid9

Quote:
thanks! i got it to work by ctrl+alt+dragging it onto the piano roll on the side. is there a better way/place to do that?
That's the quickest.
You could chop the sample, glue it(which will render it), and then drag it from Reaper's Media Explorer(or Windows Explorer).
I don't see the point in that since Alt + Ctrl Drag does exactly the same thing in a fraction of the time.
Old 01-21-2011, 05:11 AM   #11
zoid9

Quote:
okay, i think i'm gonna have fun with this one. thanks for your help!

please feel free to post any more hints or suggestions for playing around with slices in shortcircuit!
Are you using Shortcircuit 1 or 2?
2 can be pretty buggy since it was never fully developed. It may look prettier, but 1 is your best bet.
Anyway, there's some good stuff here. http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=202562
Old 01-21-2011, 05:16 AM   #12
(tuesday)

i was using 2 because i thought it would be the most up-to-date. i'll try #1 instead.