Old 01-21-2010, 09:50 AM   #1
Ameqc
Human being with feelings

Default MIDI question

Is it possible to route certain MIDI notes from one track to control the notes playing in another synth.
but that, i mean, would i be able to assign middle C to trigger a synth, then C# to trigger another synth, then D to another, etc. then i could just set the pitch value on those notes and have it control the midi input pitch on each synth?
Ameqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 09:54 AM   #2
stupeT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameqc View Post
Is it possible to route certain MIDI notes from one track to control the notes playing in another synth.
but that, i mean, would i be able to assign middle C to trigger a synth, then C# to trigger another synth, then D to another, etc. then i could just set the pitch value on those notes and have it control the midi input pitch on each synth?
Dumb question: WHY would you like to do that? The MIDI note IS THE PITCH. Different Synths *should* be triggered by the 16 different MIDI channels per port.
Old 01-21-2010, 11:32 AM   #3
Ameqc

Quote:
Originally Posted by stupeT View Post
Dumb question: WHY would you like to do that? The MIDI note IS THE PITCH. Different Synths *should* be triggered by the 16 different MIDI channels per port.
because if i could have the midi note send of one note just trigger the note-ons for a synth and have another parameter control the pitch i could send out midi c, c#, d, d#, etc, to one synth for each of them, and each synth would have a drum sample synthesized on them and i could control the huge amount of parameters for each drum all at the same time with automation.

its the type of shit that makes max/msp fucking amazing for things like that.

Last edited by Ameqc; 01-21-2010 at 11:42 AM.
Old 01-21-2010, 11:48 AM   #4
Ameqc

another reason there would be an advantage to that is that i would be able to write the synth lines for 1-50 or more synths all in the view of one screen. which i have also done in max/msp.

you didnt have to throw my question back in my face. maybe im an amatuer at REAPER and am used to using sequencers and processing information in completely different ways?
Old 01-21-2010, 12:04 PM   #5
gofer
-blänk-

You'd do that with MIDI sends and a plugin on the receiving track(s) which filters out unwanted data before the stream reaches the instrument plugin. I can't tell you from the top of my head whether or which one of the included JS does it right now, but if you ask in the JS forum I'm sure you get an answer quick. Or you find/have a VST or MFX (vst-wrapper needed for the latter).
If you're a little bit into coding I'd guess you even could write that JS plug yourself, should be a quite simple one to dive in
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 12:08 PM   #6
Ameqc

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofer View Post
You'd do that with MIDI sends and a plugin on the receiving track(s) which filters out unwanted data before the stream reaches the instrument plugin. I can't tell you from the top of my head whether or which one of the included JS does it right now, but if you ask in the JS forum I'm sure you get an answer quick. Or you find/have a VST or MFX (vst-wrapper needed for the latter).
If you're a little bit into coding I'd guess you even could write that JS plug yourself, should be a quite simple one to dive in
thanks, ill check it out. im inexperienced with the routing in DAWs, i used reason and max/msp the last 3 years so i have no idea how to go about certain things in REAPER.
Old 01-21-2010, 12:40 PM   #7
gofer
-blänk-

Best starting point to begin digging into Reaper's routing is the I/O window of a track. With "add new send" you create a send control panel where you (amongst other things) can define whether it carries audio or MIDI and on which channel.

Of course there are plenty other ways to create sends, but here is where I would start.

Just dive in there, it's not that hard once you get the knack.
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 12:42 PM   #8
Ameqc

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofer View Post
Best starting point to begin digging into Reaper's routing is the I/O window of a track. With "add new send" you create a send control panel where you (amongst other things) can define whether it carries audio or MIDI and on which channel.

Of course there are plenty other ways to create sends, but here is where I would start.

Just dive in there, it's not that hard once you get the knack.
yeah, i figured out yesterday how to do the more complex send/receives with the audio, but not midi, ill screw around with it for a while though. thanks.
Old 01-24-2010, 02:51 AM   #9
FeatheredSerpent

There's like a little built-in midi transformer (for channel only though) in the send options for midi on each track, so if you have say ten synths you want to trigger all with the same note from one track, you set up your 10 synths on ten different tracks, when you create a send to each from the source midi track there will be the option under the send to transform the incoming pad or keyboard data from its source channel to any other, or stay the same.

There will be two drop down boxes next to each other on each midi send you create, the left hand one dictates what channel its listening for, and the right hand one tells the send which midi channel to transform to.

That should cover what you want to do but will only work for up to 16 synths/instruments obviously.
You could expand it by finding a plug in as suggested above that you could insert on each receiving track that would also transform the incoming note to a different one by a certain relative amount, or to an absolute value or filter it out completely, like the midi transformer in cubase.
Hopefully they will integrate this feature in the future (if it's not all ready there, I haven't looked at any of the js plugs yet for example).
FeatheredSerpent is offline   Reply With Quote