Old 05-06-2018, 09:52 AM   #1
Rangler
Human being with feelings

Default I'm shopping for a drum-program for demos

I'm not a drummer but need drums for demos of my student's songs which are mostly soft pop like Taylor Swift or Norah Jones or Praise Worship music.

I'm looking for delicate drumming that's dynamic and lively, and the ability to add brushes or bundle sticks and other percussion.

I'm not sure Superior Drummer or similar plugins cater to these genres.

Thanks for the help!

Ideally I would customize the groove to make it original later on.
Old 05-06-2018, 03:08 PM   #2
Swamp Ape

Toontrack's Nashville and Trad Country Kits have nice brush sets and a few other setups that work well for softer stuff. There's also Indie Folk and Dream Pop kits that could work too.
Swamp Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 06:00 PM   #3
Rangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamp Ape View Post
Toontrack's Nashville and Trad Country Kits have nice brush sets and a few other setups that work well for softer stuff. There's also Indie Folk and Dream Pop kits that could work too.
EZ vs Superior Drummer vs Band in a Box

Decisions
Old 05-06-2018, 11:14 PM   #4
ivansc

The only one I dont own is BIAB. You sorta lose control over what the program decides to play a little too much for my liking.

So much of this IS down to you knowing exactly what you want and how to get it.
I spent a long time learning how drummers do what they do before I ever got results that I was happy with when I programmed my own parts.

So I guess you should maybe demo BIAB and see if it comes up with the sort of results you need & if it doesnt start wading through presets on EZD2/SD3 - sadly if you dont find any MIDI grooves that do what you want, you are then left with learning to program MIDI drums yourself!

Good luck
Old 05-07-2018, 12:06 AM   #5
Not_Here

my .02¢ Addictive Drums 2.

Here you can have one of the best, (IMHO/YMMV) and there are many many options to get exactly the sounds you would be looking for as Samples, Kits, Loops, Midi. Works as stand alone, Plugin, can be triggered by Pads, an electronic drum kit as a sound module.. The options just keeep going and going. I'm discovering that it's a lot like Reaper in its ability to be the Drums you need to fit your work flow. it will do ANY style.

Now admittedly like everything else it has a cost that makes it a careful decision ( like try the demo first and watch some videos etc...) and there is a bit of a learning curve. More of a time investment than in being too complex. Like I said, a lot like Reaper- lots of layers and options.

Oh and it is supported with Reaper too. It works.
Old 05-07-2018, 12:15 AM   #6
tonybeepbeep

Have some experience of EZD2 and MT Power DrumKit 2, which is free but doesn't have percussion elements.

Groove Monkee seems to have suitable loops. I've used their metal stuff and have been happy with the end product. It also forced me to learn a little MIDI editing, due to not all the grooves having the same mapping as for the likes of EZD2.

https://groovemonkee.com/products/fu...idi-drum-loops

Hope this helps
tonybeepbeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 04:53 AM   #7
azimuth

Location: The place that's round on the ends and high in the middle

You can check out Jamstix 4 Free but it does not have brushes in the free version. It'll give you a good idea however if it fits your workflow.
azimuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 08:25 AM   #8
Rangler

So many options, so little money. I think I'll stagger the demos. My HD might take a hit.

Also, I bought a practice pad and sticks to learn drums. Hopefully a kit later on.
Old 05-07-2018, 03:54 PM   #9
Rangler

So I e-mailed EZDrummer to ask if they had any patterns similar to this song and they said NO. That blows my mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMPEd8m79Hw
Old 05-08-2018, 11:25 AM   #10
jerome_oneil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangler View Post
EZ vs Superior Drummer vs Band in a Box

Decisions
EZDrummer is fantastic for this kind of thing. And I have the Nashville kit, and will vouch first hand for the quality of it's brush kits.
jerome_oneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 11:42 AM   #11
Judders

Quote:
So many options, so little money.
Hold on for a month or two and the summer sales will be running. Use that time to demo a few alternatives as thoroughly as you can.
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 07:37 PM   #12
Chandlerhimself

I’d also go with something like Jamstix. It will do alot if the work for you.
Chandlerhimself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 05:11 PM   #13
Tod

Quote:
So I e-mailed EZDrummer to ask if they had any patterns similar to this song and they said NO. That blows my mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMPEd8m79Hw
Not sure what you're expecting Rangler, that's a pretty simple 1/8th and 16th beat, but it does have a lot of change ups and stuff that would be difficult for any library to include, those are things you need to program yourself.

Do you have a drum library yet? You don't need to have a great library to do what I suggest. I think you already said you had MT so that will do. Also there's SMDrums which is free, and if you don't have Kontakt, I suggest you DL the Sforzando version. You can get that here, just scroll down to the Sforzando version:

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=150868

Then download the sound track to that video and load it into Reaper. Now here's where it gets more difficult, make a tempo map of the song. If it's been recorded to a click track that might be easy, but if not it will take some time and if it's your first time it could take several hours.

Now you've got everything lined up so you can create a drum track that fits that song perfectly.

By now I've probably lost you, because nobody takes that amount of time or goes to that extent to to do this, surely there's an FX or some other software that can do this for me.

No there isn't and I can tell you with a lot of confidence, that if the pro's are faced with this same situation, they will take the time to do it right. Of course once you've learned how to do this it won't take near as much time.

I guess what I'm trying to tell you, is listen, listen to what's happening. You do this and down the road you can easily create your own drums.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 04:05 AM   #14
Judders

Yeah, I'm with Tod. Buying pre-cooked midi will only get you so far. If you already know the kind of part you want for the drum kit, then programme it in. It won't be long before you can copy the basic of a drum beat in no time, and not long after that you'll be writing your own from scratch.

Having said that, did you look at Groove Monkey?
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 01:10 AM   #15
ivansc

Many years ago when I started programming MIDI drums I started saving a library of SMFs of little drum snippets I had programmed.
Worth its weight in gold back then & not a bad idea now.
When you program a particular drum part, save a separate copy with an appropriate name to remind you what it is.

Amazing how many things like that can be recycled and save you time & effort.
Old 06-11-2018, 12:51 AM   #16
fred garvin

+1 for Band in a Box. Tons of pop styles, just put in your arrangement like a chord chart and start going through styles until you find one that works for you. Does "intelligent" stuff like if you have a verse chord sequence that repeats 4x then moves on to the bridge it automagically will give you a crash or little fill or something to bring in the new part. Plus why settle for drums when you can get a bassline too and keys and the rest of the backline if you want. I think it'll even play a solo for you if you like lol.

Is it dynamic and lively and has lots of aux. percussion? Maybe, if you push the right buttons lol, there's looooots of buttons. But probably even better for you, it defaults to appropriate and tasteful and restrained. I remember helping a buddy do a demo, including a blazing solo; dude goes out to get it duped, comes back all p.o.'ed, says "The guy wanted to know who the GUITARIST was!" LOL. Don't do what Freddy Don't did...

No good for, uh, Zappa, or anything where you wanted a distinct and unique style but I'm pretty sure that TS track you posted could have been done in BIAB and the Swifties wouldn't have noticed anything wrong lol.

Good luck!
fred garvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 01:12 AM   #17
johnteddy

try free addictive drums demo
with the free groove monkee loops. Then if your like me you go out and buy ez drummer 2. I find it easier to use but thats me you may prefer addictive drums.The free groove Monkee loops will play in either
johnteddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 01:56 PM   #18
jerome_oneil

If I have a complex drum part, I'll often use the MIDI drum stuff to get a semblance of what I want, record the rest of the mix with it, and then go get a real live drummer to track to that.

It works well because no one wants a drummer hanging around.
Old 06-20-2018, 02:28 PM   #19
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
It works well because no one wants a drummer hanging around.
lolz=ouch__ maybe Justin®™ + drumming armies will take that personally and reavoke some 'privileges' from da hatorz..
it appears Justin uses live kits--not much midi?? maybe he does behind the curtains..?
Bri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 02:49 PM   #20
Bri1
Banned

++ as an xtra thought-- justin®™ would be doing the users another smasha service by sharing his own samplings of kits in uses!!
not many layers are actually needed for decent recordings imo-- adding filterings,mods and different mics help shape some more natural virtual emulations eh..
a reasamplomatic kit (or better™) made by the devs >would be drumtastic!! obviously well optimized kits please many citizens!!
Bri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 03:10 PM   #21
jerome_oneil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri1 View Post
lolz=ouch__ maybe Justin®™ + drumming armies will take that personally and reavoke some 'privileges' from da hatorz..
I have privileges? Sweet!

Quote:
it appears Justin uses live kits--not much midi?? maybe he does behind the curtains..?
That is typically my approach, to, mostly because I know people who are way better with a drum kit than I am with MIDI.