Old 11-05-2017, 06:04 AM   #1
mschnell
Human being with feelings
 
mschnell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Germany
Posts: 6,646
Default Starting trying OSCIIbot

I'd like to check if I can use OSCIIbot for a project that I have in mind.

I want to connect to an XR18 Mixer vie OSC via WLAN.

I do know that I need to at first do some communication to find the (correct) XR18 in the network .

After that I need to send it a "Register" command to have it send me it's state and any changed states if somebody else changes it.

Any clues on how to do that ?

I understand that OSCIIbot is moistly used to send OSC to Reaper (running on the same box), but this thread -> https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=181044 shows that it can be used for the purpose I have in mind.

-Michael
__________________
www.boa-sorte.de

Last edited by mschnell; 11-05-2017 at 11:15 PM.
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 04:58 PM   #2
goldenarpharazon
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 124
Default

Michael
This can probably be done with OSCII-bot since it can send and receive midi and OSC from and to multiple devices at the same time. This is with the proviso that the midi is all 3 byte midi data, not sysex.

But the desired OSC and Midi signal routing (path & direction) for the X-Touch, for Reaper and the XR18 needs explaining a bit more clearly eg in a diagram, along with some more explicit reference to the devices' protocols to be sure.

If this answer is, or can be, the start of something helpful then perhaps point other varied forum threads now opened on this similar question back to here, and continue the answer here?
goldenarpharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 11:06 PM   #3
mschnell
Human being with feelings
 
mschnell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Germany
Posts: 6,646
Default

goldenarpharazon, Thanks for your answer !

Are there any working OSIIbot examples out there ?

I suppose in most cases OSCIIbot is used to attach to Reaper via OSC - usually running on the same box as Reaper, while sending/receiving Midi from/to an externbal device (such as a controller board e.g. BCF2000 like in the other thread.

Here I need a different thing: having OSCIIBot attach via OSC to an external device, while communicating with Reaper (i.e. JSFX programs) on the same box via Midi.



I am rather sure that I'll be able to get the Midi side of the problem done.

The initial task is just OSC issues:

- attach OSCIIbot to the mixer Supposedly I need to supply the IP address and the port to OSCIIbot. I'd like to do that somehow "from outside" not in the EEL source code.

- make the mixer send out the state of certain parameters so that I can convert them to Midi and send them to the existing JSFX-script-construnct in Reaper

- in certain intervals send "register" requests to the mixer to make it send out the values of these parameter whenever they get changed by different sites.

I have been provided with the python code that does exactly this. I need to analyze same and see what exactly has to be implemented.

If this "initialization" can be solved, I am rather sure that the conversion / transport is doable rather easily.

-Michael
__________________
www.boa-sorte.de

Last edited by mschnell; 11-09-2017 at 11:17 PM.
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 05:29 AM   #4
goldenarpharazon
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 124
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
goldenarpharazon, Thanks for your answer !

Are there any working OSCIIbot examples out there ?
All of these useful examples are on the Reaper forum or close to it

- Peavey StudioMix control surface from Banned
- AKAI MIDIMIX control surface from goldenarpharazon
- original example script from Justin (from Midi2OSC - see previous answer)
- simple examples are bundled with the OSCII-bot install zip file itself

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
I suppose in most cases OSCIIbot is used to attach to Reaper via OSC - usually running on the same box as Reaper, while sending/receiving Midi from/to an externbal device (such as a controller board e
.g. BCF2000 like in the other thread.

Here I need a different thing: having OSCIIBot attach via OSC to an external device, while communicating with Reaper (i.e. JSFX programs) on the same box via Midi.
The examples happen to be with Reaper. But OSCII-bot is a bridge that will translate between OSC and Midi for anything at all, without any dependence on Reaper, or the OSC functionality in Reaper.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
- attach OSCIIbot to the mixer Supposedly I need to supply the IP address and the port to OSCIIbot. I'd like to do that somehow "from outside" not in the EEL source code.
The OSCII-bot EEL2 allows file I/O which could be used to create a separate config file if that's preferable. OSCII-bot also allows a basic GUI to be created.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
- make the mixer send out the state of certain parameters so that I can convert them to Midi and send them to the existing JSFX-script-construnct in Reaper

- in certain intervals send "register" requests to the mixer to make it send out the values of these parameter whenever they get changed by different sites.
If these parameters or requests are OSC you can assemble and send, or receive and parse any OSC string you wish or need in OSCII-bot EEL2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
I have been provided with the python code that does exactly this. I need to analyze same and see what exactly has to be implemented.
Be interested to see this Python code please too, since it may be extensible to also handle OSC translation into Midi SysEX which OSCII-bot does not handle. Thanks.
goldenarpharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 06:50 AM   #5
mschnell
Human being with feelings
 
mschnell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Germany
Posts: 6,646
Default

Thanks A LOT for answering !

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenarpharazon View Post
The OSCII-bot EEL2 allows file I/O which could be used to create a separate config file if that's preferable. OSCII-bot also allows a basic GUI to be created.
I did find that OSCIIbot can read a file and do plan to use this for configuration. But from the docs I have the impression that I need to state the IP address and port directly in an EEL statement. I'll re-check...
(I already did create a GUI for another project with EEL gfx, so I suppose this is possible with OCIIbot as well.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenarpharazon View Post
If these parameters or requests are OSC
The mixer device of course does send these parameters according to the OSC spec, so I do hope, OSCII bot can easily receive them.

The question I have in mind is how to send the "register" command to the mixer (I suppose this is OSC standard as well. I suppose this needs to be done if attaching to Reaper via OSC, too, so there will be appropriate examples, but till now I failed to find some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenarpharazon View Post
Be interested to see this Python code please too, since it may be extensible to also handle OSC translation into Midi SysEX which OSCII-bot does not handle.
I did not do a Python project up till now. I got this code from a friend of mine. I am going to install and test if it works for me. After that I am going to decide weather to do a new OSCIIbot project (seems more appropriate for my usage) or to learn Python and modify the Python code.

But very likely the Python code can handle SYSEX. Supposedly even "out of the box", but AFAIK, a Midi library is used (and an OSC library), and the libraries are just python source code and can be enhanced if necessary.

Thanks again,
-Michael
__________________
www.boa-sorte.de

Last edited by mschnell; 11-10-2017 at 06:57 AM.
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 07:58 AM   #6
goldenarpharazon
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 124
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
The question I have in mind is how to send the "register" command to the mixer (I suppose this is OSC standard as well. I suppose this needs to be done if attaching to Reaper via OSC, too, so there will be appropriate examples, but till now I failed to find some.
The OSC standard must be one of the loosest (ie most open) standards ever written! It provides some definition of syntax, but much of the data and all the semantics are left open to the "user" or implementer (in this case Behringer).

There maybe some helpful information on the Behringer X32 OSC implementation here
http://behringerwiki.music-group.com...emote_Protocol
and the work & code of Patrick Maillot (sometime user of this forum)
https://sites.google.com/site/patric...attredirects=0
https://sites.google.com/site/patrickmaillot/x32

I would doubt that Behringer OSC and Reaper OSC implementations have anything at all in common beyond vague intent so OSCII-bot would do the "talking" and "listening" to the Mixer and of course OSCII-bot can talk to Reaper in OSC to if that route for data helps.
goldenarpharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.