Old 01-05-2015, 12:31 PM   #1
rfxcasey
Human being with feelings

Default Pulsing stutter and crackling

Having an issue. Just got into Reaper a few months ago and have pretty much had this problem since day one. Issue is when testing about my recording everything starts out fine, then after about 5 or 10 minutes I get this horrible pulsating cracking when I play and monitor my guitar/bass or even just playing a playback. Every time I mess around in Reaper I get this issue. The pulsing/crackling seems to fade in slowly and starts getting worse as I go, then at some point is starts getting better after a few minutes and then fades out and everything sounds normal again.

It doesn't happen if there is no sound being played, it doesn't just pulse and crackle on its own, it when sound is being produced. It will happen while playing and just monitoring and it will happen during playback. If it happens while recording, the end result of the recording is just fine without capturing the distortion. This issue can happen while playing back a recording as well but the recording are fine as sometimes they play without issue. If I go into the device menu in the option the issue will go away.

I have a Roland Quad capture and an Akia EIE Pro. I've tried using both and the the issue is still there with either. I also have a Fender Mustang V I with a usb output that my machine, reaper and ASIO all recognize. It happens with the Mustang hooked up as well. Is it a buffer issue? I've been playing with a few buffer setting and the like with no issues. Basically no matter what recording device I'm using I have this issue so I'm pretty sure its something about ASIO for all and my Soundblaster card.

My machine is a very well tuned I5 3570k, my Reaper is on the system drive and my audio recordings are on another drive. Its not the recording though. Its like there is a lag issue or something between my Reaper and my Soundblaster Z card. I don't have any other audio issues with anything else and streaming audio and video always work great. Please help, I have some projects I need to get working on and this is a big problem for me. If I stop playing and go into the options/devices menu its like the problem disappears instantly but then creeps up again after a while.

Last edited by rfxcasey; 01-05-2015 at 10:18 PM.
rfxcasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 01:28 PM   #2
RJHollins

hmm ... I'm getting a similar issue maybe.

Question ... does anything be different if you have the main FX chain window opened? Any difference when closed ?
RJHollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 10:17 PM   #3
rfxcasey

No I don't think so. I just open Reaper, create a new project or playback and saved recording which are all pretty much single track and after about 5 or 10 minutes I get about 3 minutes of pulsing/stuttering that slowly ramps up and then slowly ramps back down again until it disappears entirely. I get the feeling it has something to do with the way ASIO for all is passing data to my Sound Blaster Z card.

The really annoying thing is the fact that it come and goes which makes it tougher to troubleshoot. Also if I am experiencing the stutter/crackling and I go into devices to make changes, the problem immediately disappears and I have to wait another 5 or 10 minutes to see if the changes worked, which none seem to have worked so far. Really, really need to get this sorted.

I say I think its ASIO for all but not sure if my Fender Mustang V is using ASIO for all when implementing USB recording. I think it might be, I have to check when I get home as I don't remember off hand. It depends on whether or not the amp is turned on as to whether or not Windows even picks up the device. When I turn the amp on it show up as a USB device as a thumb drive or joystick would.

Without getting to tecno blabby, I have my Fender Mustang hooked up to the computer via USB and my Roland Quad capture hooked up via USB. Sometimes I change out the Roland for a Akia EIE Pro but either way all 3 devices experience the issue. I'm thinking it ASIO for all OR the USB itself. I though I remembered some USB settings somewhere where you could change the buffering or something but I'll have to check into that today. If anyone can help please do, I'll post my findings as well.

By the was my Reaper (64 bit) is updated to the latest version, as it Windows 7 and all my device drivers.

Last edited by rfxcasey; 01-05-2015 at 10:22 PM.
Old 01-20-2015, 09:55 PM   #4
rfxcasey

I guess no one can help me with this issue but I do have 1 thing to add. Sometimes I'm also have the playback play for a second, then pause for a second over and over again. Its very strange behavior, it will play, pause, play, pause, play and so on and so on. I don't know if this is related to the crackling issue but if I can't get all this resolved I hope I can get my money back. I don't have these problems with the light versions of bundled software that came with some of my gear. I have light versions of Pro Tools, Cubase, Ableton live, Sonar ect and they all playback just fine.
Old 01-20-2015, 10:12 PM   #5
Fergler

I had this problem when I was setting up my devices for the first time and experimenting with ASIO4ALL. All was fine for, in my case, putting guitar into an interface and monitoring through laptop headphone port, for about 5 minutes then it crackled as you described.

I started using ASIO driver instead and monitoring through the interface, as you are supposed to, and all was fine again.

Windows makes it very hard to use multiple devices at once as you want to. Mac's have it really easy there with their aggregate devices.

AFAIK no other DAW software will fix this issue for you in Windows, are you sure you tried the exact same set up in the other DAWs?
Old 01-22-2015, 03:54 AM   #6
rfxcasey

Thanks for the input. I found an article here that I believe gets to the root of the issue http://mtippach.proboards.com/thread...g-worsens-time. One difference though in my situation, which I don't remember being mentioned in the thread, I could be wrong, was that after a while the crackling would subside, then return after several minutes. This would go on indefinitely.

Its appears that ASIO4All doesn't like when certain combinations of devices have their outputs enables simultaneously. That or when you have the input and output of a device in a certain config as in one enabled while the other disabled. There is a bit of info toward the bottom of the thread that talks about setting hardware buffering enabled at 10ms. I changed my Sound Blaster Z output config in ASIO4All to only have speakers/headphones enabled. I had previously had speaker/headphones and 'what you hear' enabled. I disabled the 'what you hear' output. I also disabled any input like the microphone jack in ASIO4All. I set the remaining speaker/headphone output settings to hardware buffer at 10ms and disabled all other options like forcing WDM 16 bit, Pull mode (WaveRT), and resampling.

After that I went into my Windows Sound settings under the control panel and disabled all input and output devices I was not using, leaving basically only the SoundBlaster Z as an output device. I disabled all input devices except for my Roland Quad Capture which I use for my system mic anyways as well as vocal recording in Reaper.

I then started Reaper and started playing randoms tracks for over an hour. Starting, stopping, editing, adding FX and the like. I had zero instances of crackling. The only thing I did not have enabled was my Fender Mustang USB input which I will experiment with today. The issue I was having was strictly during playback through my Sound Blaster Z whether monitoring while recording or simple replay of tracks.

The main issue seems to be either that the clocks on certain devices are getting out of sync in ASIO4All, or, its just buggy about which input/output combinations you have enabled both in ASIO4All itself and Control Panel\Sound .

Anyhow, I wanted to post some of my thoughts on the ASIO4All forum in case it might help someone, however the registration for the forum seems to be disable for some reason. The site doesn't indicate why registration is disabled or when, if ever, it will be available again.

While I hope this info helps I need to do a bit more testing before I can say for sure that my issue is resolved. I'll post back.

Last edited by rfxcasey; 01-22-2015 at 04:15 AM.