Old 12-26-2010, 04:50 PM   #41
Sam C
Human being with feelings

Please join me in my special room for cyberspace "friends." Just follow the yellow brick road, easily laid out, for your convenience. Once you arrive- there will be welcome presents and praise for all....once settled in I will shoot you all dead....for free! No error messages, admin problems, or anything to complain about!
Old 12-26-2010, 05:36 PM   #42
Mich

Quote:
Originally Posted by skmando View Post
What is the issue with putting stuff in the system32 folder?
%windir%\system32 is like /System/Library on Mac OS X (or usr/lib/ on Unix systems) which contains system libraries. Those are libraries needed and thus shared by the system. This means anyone can use these libraries, including users or processes you wish shouldn't be able to, hence you need administrative privileges (on Mac or Unix you'd need to log in as root) to do these changes because you are changing the system. But system changes should not be necessary when installing user software.
However the argument that some other application will need a different lib but having the same name is IMO nonsense, because that would mean the other application also requires a change to the system folders and hence would also be bad plus most libraries will have the same call interface even in different versions (for backward compatibility).

Anyway if I'm not mistaken you can just place the dll in the same folder as the plugin and/or standalone executable and it should also be in the default search path. You can also place it in the directory from where you launch the application. You can read more about the search order on http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...=vs.85%29.aspx
Old 12-26-2010, 05:47 PM   #43
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich View Post
However the argument that some other application will need a different lib but having the same name is IMO nonsense, because that would mean the other application also requires a change to the system folders and hence would also be bad plus most libraries will have the same call interface even in different versions (for backward compatibility).
It's not so much a different library as it is multiple programs using the same library and those libraries at times having custom patches/versions (or even downgrades to a previous version) for a pariticular program being installed; breaking a previously working program using that same library. In other words, backwards compatibility would not work because the newer program cannot use the new feature that does not exist in the previous version. The issue is still there to an extent but newer methods such as side-by-side assemblies (WinSXS) etc, help curtail the issue by keeping multiple versions and matching up with the program that needs a particular version on the fly. It was a huge issue back in the day.

To the original point, those libraries above may not likely be used at all currently but for someone they might and if the ones in this post happened to overwrite the old ones etc, etc. It may very well break some other program and the user may not even realize it until a week later when they happen to run the other program. The delivery may not have been the best but the point being made was dead on IMHO.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DLL_hell

Karbo

Last edited by karbomusic; 12-26-2010 at 05:53 PM.
Old 12-26-2010, 07:11 PM   #44
rictheobscene

Ummmm.... Yeah.... Wow....
Old 12-26-2010, 08:38 PM   #45
flight

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Oh, man, reading the wiki article really brought back what that whole era was like. I'd forgotten just how freakin' horrible it was. No wonder we all pretty much hated Microsoft in those days. It sucked swamp goo but kept running all the competition out of business, so we all got to use it despite the fact it really sucked.

Even today, I find myself an confirmed Buddhist atheist, if for no other reason than Bill Gates still hasn't been struck lifeless by a meteor. Any God that gave a crap would have flayed him alive with falling cosmic debris.
Old 12-26-2010, 08:40 PM   #46
Funksploitation

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnguess View Post
stop being such a sensitive little girl.

thanks for sharing, but it turned out to not be such a great thing to share, oops, move on.

we know youre a pro tech writer and that youre stuck in XP because windows 7 is bloatware, is the illusion of security, and that XP is vastly superior in every way.

riiiight.
Take a flying fuck, you smarmy dickhead. That "little girl" enough for you?

PS I almost hope I get kicked off the forum for that. What a pack of twats, worse even than KVR.
Old 12-26-2010, 09:10 PM   #47
sstillwell

Nope, not kicked off (at least not by me), but we're gonna have a little cooling-off period here.

Stop with the names and insults. Period. That's not directed solely at the OP...there's way more than enough blame to go 'round...you know who you are.

Locky-locky...sleep well, and Merry Christmas to you all.

Scott
Old 12-27-2010, 06:35 AM   #48
schwa
Administrator

FFTW is a well-regarded FFT library (though I've never used it myself).

It would probably work to simply put the FFTW dll files in the same directory as the plugin.

Merry christmas all!
Closed Thread