Old 12-20-2010, 01:03 PM   #1
Lawrence
Human being with feelings

Default ReaRoute

Can someone tutor me on this? I've never used it before.

What I want to do is use Cubase 5 as a standalone VST host, play it's instruments in another host. I can reach it with virtual midi devices, all good there, but my current methods for returning the audio have way to much latency.

Can I use ReaRoute for this outside of Reaper? If so, how do I set that up.
Old 12-20-2010, 01:29 PM   #2
captain caveman

I'm 81.3% sure you can't - you can select the ReaRoute driver in Cubase but you can't get it into another application (or at least monitor the audio) other than Reaper 'cause you can only select one ASIO driver at a time.

Does your audio interface have multi-client drivers? I can use my Fireface 400 in more than one application and do loopbacks through the TotalMix software. If it doesn't maybe that Karl Steinberg multi-client ASIO driver could do the trick?
captain caveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 01:32 PM   #3
Lawrence

Hmmm... maybe ASIO4All. I have to find the ReaRoute driver first or install it because I don't see it yet.
Old 12-20-2010, 01:40 PM   #4
bullshark

Rearoute is optional on install and off by default, you might have to reinstall Reaper and check that option. But I doubt it will work for what you want to do... Post back if it does.
bullshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 01:48 PM   #5
producer

Default Rewire will do

I am able to rewire Live 8 into Reaper and play Lives virtual instruments. Had some latency problem due midi went into both applications in the beginning. Use only midi in Reaper and route it to "in your case Cubase".

edit: Cubase must be a rewire client (do not remember if it can )

Producer.
producer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 01:51 PM   #6
Lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullshark View Post
Rearoute is optional on install and off by default, you might have to reinstall Reaper and check that option. But I doubt it will work for what you want to do... Post back if it does.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding what it does. Does it send audio from or to Reaper?
Old 12-20-2010, 01:58 PM   #7
bullshark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
It's an ASIO driver. The reason I said I doubt it would work is because I assumed you wanted to send audio from Cubase to S1; that will work, but since you have to select Rearoute as your audio device in S1, then you'd have no way to monitor the signal, unless S1 can use a multiple of audio driver, which I don't think it can. Lot's of assumption on my part, why I said post back if it does work...
Old 12-20-2010, 02:12 PM   #8
Lawrence

Quote:
It's an ASIO driver. The reason I said I doubt it would work is because I assumed you wanted to send audio from Cubase to S1; that will work, but since you have to select Rearoute as your audio device in S1, then you'd have no way to monitor the signal, unless S1 can use a multiple of audio driver, which I don't think it can. Lot's of assumption on my part, why I said post back if it does work...
Yeah, looks like a no go. Loading the driver in Cubase 5 with no other host even running I can't even make anything blink any meters internally in Cubase.
Old 12-20-2010, 02:24 PM   #9
Warpticon

Maybe Jack would work?
Warpticon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 02:45 PM   #10
Lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpticon View Post
Maybe Jack would work?
Damn, I thought Jack was OSX/Linux only. Steiny multi-client was a big failure. Trying Jack. Obviously, Reaper is immune from these issues being both a rewire client and slave. Maybe others need to do similar.
Old 12-20-2010, 03:08 PM   #11
captain caveman

I almost forgot about Wormhole, which I assume works on the same machine if set up correctly even though I couldn't when I tried a few months ago.

Speaking of ReWire, energyXT have a Rewire VST plugin that could work nicely.
Old 12-20-2010, 05:15 PM   #12
Lawrence

Yeah, I tried Wormhole. It loads fine in one host but always crashes the second host. Not sure why... I'll have to try it again on Win7 and see if it behaves any differently.

Frustrating because I'm weening off of Cubase but I don't want to lose Halion One. I actually like that synth... not to mention REVerence verb.

Oh well.. it's all a give and take, I do still have Altiverb. I can load Halion One in any host but of course you can only get to the sound libraries through Cubase or Sequel or similar. Steiny sucks.
Old 12-20-2010, 05:25 PM   #13
bullshark

Quote:
Steiny sucks.
Quoted for posterity
Old 12-20-2010, 05:38 PM   #14
Lawrence

Quote:
Quoted for posterity
Well they kinda do. The synth is a standalone VST plugin that will load it's UI in any host so, cool. The license for it's proprietary content is on my dongle... so cool, let me f'ing load it... and use it, the content... I have a valid license.

Very irritating. I can rip the other samples to wav in Cubase, no biggie. Can't do anything with the Halion One content though.
Old 12-20-2010, 05:52 PM   #15
captain caveman

You could always use the solution that you have at the moment (the one with the unacceptable latency) to get the samples from Halion One using Extreme Sample Converter.
Old 12-21-2010, 03:10 PM   #16
Glennbo

Quote:
IIRC, you can go either direction using it, but Reaper has to be one of the two things connected to it. I used it to suck up whole songs, track to track out of Sonar and into Reaper. In Sonar I set each track to output on a different ReaRoute channel, and in Reaper I armed all the tracks and set the ReaRoute inputs to the same channels as Sonar. Then in one shot at way faster than real time I sucked up about 24 tracks of audio.

One item with ReaRoute though, and this might be fixed now, is that it cause both Sony Soundforge and Sony Vegas to crash on launch. It took me a while to figger it out, but I finally saw a reference to ASIO during one of the crashes. I removed ReaRoute and both Soundforge and Vegas got happy again.

This was about two months ago, and I did post a thread here, but I haven't used ReaRoute since, so I don't know if it's fixed or not. I used to always have it installed and one of the updates in the last couple months broke it for those two apps.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 03:07 PM   #17
egoplasma

Quote:

What I want to do is use Cubase 5 as a standalone VST host, play it's instruments in another host. I can reach it with virtual midi devices, all good there, but my current methods for returning the audio have way to much latency.

Hi Lawrence, ReaRoute works very well for this project. I´ve checked it by myself a short while ago. I can use Cubase as a VST host to play the "cubase only" instruments via a virtual midi port from Reaper. The audiosignal comes back via ReaRoute into Reaper. For further description read the reaper user guide -> chapter 21, page 393 ff. The chapter is well written.

Last edited by egoplasma; 12-22-2010 at 03:14 PM.
egoplasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 07:25 PM   #18
chriscomfort

Quote:

Hey Lawrence,
Your post got me curious so I thought I'd take a crack at it, and this is how I made it work. Firstly, I have the ReaRoute ASIO driver installed automatically when I do my Reaper updates. I'm assuming you have it installed as well. Secondly, I have LoopBe30 Internal MIDI Ports installed on my machine. http://nerds.de/en/loopbe30.html
I'm sure MIDI Yolk or whatever else would work too.

I launch Reaper first. Then I launched Cubase. In Cubase, I went to Devices/Device Setup/VST Audio System and selected ReaRoute ASIO. Then I went to VST Connections and set up a bunch of Outputs for each of my VSTi's (up to 8 stereo pairs available). Finally, as you can see in the Inspector for Halion 1 MIDI, I selected Internal MIDI 1 as my MIDI input and activated the monitor button. The Internal MIDI 1 is one of the MIDI ports available through LoopBe30.

[IMG]http://img51.**************/img51/3995/halion1.jpg[/IMG]

In Reaper, I set up a MIDI track and an audio return track for each of the VSTi's . The image below shows the i/o for the MIDI track and below that is the audio return, with ReaRoute 1+ReaRoute 2 in the audio monitor window.

[IMG]http://img193.**************/img193/4616/reaperrearoute.jpg[/IMG]

It all seems to work well, although I haven't really put it through its paces.
chriscomfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 12:59 PM   #19
Cableaddict

I use Rearoute all the time, to bring in Traktor.

Works great.

However, be aware that it's a little buggy. Maybe once every ten times you launch Reaper, Rearoute will NOT launch. You will lose the input & not know why. If you look at the input track's assignments, you'll see that Rearoute is no longer an option.

The simple fix is to close & re-open Reaper.
-----------------------------------------------

I sure wish they'd fix this. I've been posting bug reports about it for 3 years, but I guess it's not a priority.
Cableaddict is offline   Reply With Quote