Old 12-27-2010, 11:47 AM   #1
hopi
Human being with feelings

Default K-meter free plugin - continued

Quote:
FFTW is a well-regarded FFT library (though I've never used it myself).

It would probably work to simply put the FFTW dll files in the same directory as the plugin.

Merry christmas all!
this quote is from schwa... and thanks for the idea

What is curious is that reaper will not work with this meter in that way. Below see what is inside the vst folder for the meter:

K-Meter.dll
kmeter.pdf
libfftw3-3.def
libfftw3-3.dll
libfftw3f-3.def
libfftw3f-3.dll
libfftw3l-3.def
libfftw3l-3.dll
LICENSE

NOW what makes this REALLY interesting is that Chainer [xlutop] will load and run the meter just fine with these files. It will do so both standalone and from inside Reaper.

OK... now I know the closed thread about this item got ugly... sorry about that...

The meter is a nice plugin, so if it can be made to live happily with Reaper without having to drop things into the sys32 folder, it would be a welcome additon.

btw this report is on a 32 bit XP SP2 system
Old 12-27-2010, 02:02 PM   #2
nofish

I can confirm that it's not working when dropping the fftw.dll's in the same directory as the meter plugin (Win XP32 SP3).

It's the first thing I try anyway when asked to drop something in sytem directory, works often but unfortunately not in this case.

btw, I then dropped the dll's in system directory to get it working (which it did no problem) and compared it side by side to Reaper's master RMS meter.
Seems to me they behave pretty similar, so I suppose this plugin is just a RMS-meter with adjustable display offset, what Reaper offers already natively.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited by nofish; 12-27-2010 at 02:09 PM.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 02:32 PM   #3
q_h

Simply drop FFTW dlls(or only libfftw3f-3.dll) to Reaper main directory.
q_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 05:08 PM   #4
hopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by q_h View Post
Simply drop FFTW dlls(or only libfftw3f-3.dll) to Reaper main directory.
strange but that don't work for me...

So look... It is a nice meter... good controls, etc.
I have tried to run it in both 3.74 and V4 alpha 18a now... with the lib dlls both in the vst plugin folder and in the reaper installed directory root...

At this point, Reaper don't even see it in the FX Browser...

HOWEVER... Chainer sees it and runs it just fine.... I find this very strange..

..and yes, the V4 metering is improved... however this one is nice enough to bother with IF it can work better... easy to see and good features with the diff scales and the peak and hold options....

So I wonder if those who have it working nicely might post the exact directory and file locations for what you've done to make it usable?

thanks

Last edited by hopi; 12-27-2010 at 05:17 PM.
hopi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 07:16 PM   #5
Diogenes

Where does the EARS.dll go?

D
Diogenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 07:22 PM   #6
hopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diogenes View Post
Where does the EARS.dll go?

D
I'm stone deaf from listening to loud music so I have to rely on meters.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:27 PM   #7
Diogenes

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
Heh-heh... I "hear" ya' brother... just yanking your chain a bit.

D

PS I have a "hole" in the freq response of my right ear... I know what you mean.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:36 PM   #8
cricket

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
HOly hell!!? O.o

Is that?....OMG it IS!! The best response ever to someone when they try the "use your ears" drivel.

And no, I know full well using your ears isnt drivel, its the vibe of the people saying it that gets to me. You mention a "meter" to some guys, and the words "use your ears" are sure to quickly follow. No regard is ever considered how musically talented the person asking about the meter is or how good in fact their ear already is. Nor is much credence given to the fact we're dealing with Digital Audio and visual inspection of audio statistics is a different matter these days than it was in the 80's.

Dare I say, the phrase "dates" a lot of people who say it. Judging how fast they reach for the "use your ears" lever to pull, says quite a bit.

Can you tell Im not a fan of the phrase? lol I find its both drastically over-used and used out-of-context most of the time it is used.

**And in this case, regarding a K-meter: anyone who says "use your ears" in an RMS-based topic....please, let me throw this very old and smelly tomato at you. Stand still :P

PS - theres even a contingent of "would-like-to-be-official" Engineers out there who would like you to believe that all classic music, Motown, Beatles, etc, was all done with no metering.

If its not painfully obvious that the whole "use your ears" statement is perpetuated by the "old guard" that doenst want to see some "youngster" use a tool of any type to achieve results quicker, I dont know what to tell ya. It comes down to a Human/Sociological thing where one generation ever-so-slightly holds the next generation back because they dont want things to be too easy on them.

(End rant - blame coffee, then blame me :P )
cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 12:18 AM   #9
plamuk

"use your ears" implies that you've got a well treated room and better-than-good monitors.
"consult the meters" is for the real world.
plamuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 12:34 AM   #10
mixer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket View Post

If its not painfully obvious that the whole "use your ears" statement is perpetuated by the "old guard" that doenst want to see some "youngster" use a tool of any type to achieve results quicker, I dont know what to tell ya. It comes down to a Human/Sociological thing where one generation ever-so-slightly holds the next generation back because they dont want things to be too easy on them.
+1. I would probably be considered entering into the "old guard" age bracket (not sure what that exact age is, so let's just keep that UNspecified, shall we?), but, hey, I have nothing to guard. I love these tools that make things quicker. I love seeing people younger and smarter than I am developing great stuff. Just let me in on the tricks and tools that make things easier, will ya, you youngsters?! Ya hear me, sonny? Eh?

It's a great day of technology we live in.

I think you're right about the "Human/Sociological thing." It's human nature. A slight twist, though: I think the one generation may not MEAN to hold the next generation back. They just want a little recognition, or appreciation, for what they had to "struggle" through, before the next generation just blows it off as old school nonsense. Each generation stands on their predecessors' shoulders (hopefully) to reach greater heights.

I think it's great that my kids won't have to mess with analog recording. Ugh, the wrinkled tape, hiss, Dolby noise reduction, warble, crosstalk, etc. Glad that's gone. They don't have to think I'm a real frontiersman for enduring such gruelling hardships. It's just nice if they appreciate the difference. BTW, it's hilarious to ask them if they know what 33 RPM means, or better, what 'wow and flutter' is. (Try asking THAT on Facebook. Hey now, that would be great -- Fill in the rest of the phrase, "Wow and flutter means ______________." See how THAT gets interpreted these days!)

Whoa, way too much rambling here. Sorry.

Cheers.
mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 08:44 AM   #11
Gizzmo0815

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket View Post
(End rant - blame coffee, then blame me :P )
I don't blame your coffee or you. I just think you're not using your ears enough. It makes you young and whiney. :-P

Teasing teasing.

I think there's a middle ground. Relying entirely on meters can lead to problems. Especially with the massive amount of detailed, intricate meters we've got today. If at any point an audio engineer finds himself saying "Yup..that looks right", without taking that 30 seconds to listen to it, then there's a problem. If, however the engineer is saying "Yup, that sounds good, and I can't see anything wrong with the meters." Then we're ok.

Use your ears first, reference with the meters.
Gizzmo0815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 08:54 AM   #12
Diogenes

Nobody has a sense of humor anymore? What... did you guys already get your credit card statements or something?

Geez...

D

PS I'm with mixer on the analog medium. Screw that stuff... I don't miss tape AT ALL.