Old 11-25-2012, 12:29 PM   #1
vinnie2k
Human being with feelings

Default Help with routing Yamaha DTX500 to Reaper

Hello,

I successfully connected by Yamaha DTX500 vdrum kit to my audio interface and Reaper.

The issue is the following: when I try to tell the drumkit to send specific instruments (kick, snare, etc.) to specific MIDI channels, it screws up the sound coming out of the drum kit; by default, all instruments are routed to channel 10; when I change the sound settings but leave the channel untouched, everything works fine; when I modify the routing to say channel 1 for the sanre, the sound coming out of the drum kit is some random piano note. Aggravating. Read the manual, it does say something about not using channel 10 but I can't figure it out.

Anyway.

I'm not using direct monitoring either because I can't figure that out either :-( I get an awful delay between when I play the drum and the sound coming out of my speakers. My audio interface (US-122L) does have an Input / Computer mix knob but it only acts a volume fader - when I turn it all the way left to Input (I would expect to have the raw sound come out of the speakers), nothing happens - no sound.

Anyway, take 2.

So I figured I would tell Reaper that note 38 is my snare and that it should route it to MIDI input channel 1, which is the default input for track 1; note 36 (kick) to MIDI input channel 2, which is track 2. Etc.

Where can I do that? The JS effect I tried can change MIDI notes into other notes but not change the channel routing.

Help, I suck :-)
Old 11-25-2012, 01:24 PM   #2
danfuerth

Does the yamaha have midi out?

does it have 16 channels out? so you can ouput each drum section into a different midi track in reaper?

Would like to know.
danfuerth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:35 PM   #3
vinnie2k

Yes it does.

So that's what I do. I choose a drum kit from the Yamaha. I go into that kit's settings and I select the snare. I change the target channel to, say, channel 1 from channel 10. When I hit the snare, instead of producing a snare sound, it produces a piano sound. The only way to get a snare sound is to leave the target MIDI channel to 10.

Rince and repeat for all the other drum kit elements.

And that's my problem.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:46 PM   #4
TimOBrien

Leave it all on channel 10.

Its the different notes that produce the different drum sounds.

If you want to process the different drum sounds separately you can break out the track
to different tracks by note, all set to Channel 10.
Old 11-26-2012, 04:14 PM   #5
KevinW

Piano notes? Where are they coming from?

I'm assuming what you want to happen is to record each individual hit on your kit as a discrete event, that you can then tweak the timing of, delete, whatever.

If that's so, then you want to record the midi output from the DTX. Connect a midi cable from the drum brain out to the midi input on your US122L.

Now, in Reaper, you need to create a track, and select the input as "MIDI:US122L All Channels" (it might not appear exactly that way, but it should be close to that.)

Here's the deal - and you might already know this, so apologies - that midi data that you can record and edit, actually produces no sound. For the AUDIO you can do a couple different things:
1.Insert your favorite drum VSTi on the track (like Addictive Drums, BFD, etc.), and map the drum kit midi to the VSTi (Addictive drums, for example, has a map for the DTX built in.)

2. Route the midi out of the US122L back into the DTX midi in, and route the audio out of the DTX back into the audio inputs of the US122L. This method will allow you to edit each hit and will use the Yamaha sounds. You'll need to create a midi hardware send on the track where you recorded the midi.

Hopefully my assumption is right. Please confirm, and post back if you want to get more specific help on exactly how to do either of these options.
KevinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:20 PM   #6
vinnie2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimOBrien View Post
Leave it all on channel 10.

Its the different notes that produce the different drum sounds.

If you want to process the different drum sounds separately you can break out the track
to different tracks by note, all set to Channel 10.
Right. And how do I do just that? :-)
Old 11-26-2012, 05:25 PM   #7
vinnie2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
Piano notes? Where are they coming from?
The drum kit. It's got all sorts of crazy sounds.

Quote:
I'm assuming what you want to happen is to record each individual hit on your kit as a discrete event, that you can then tweak the timing of, delete, whatever.

If that's so, then you want to record the midi output from the DTX. Connect a midi cable from the drum brain out to the midi input on your US122L.
Right. That's how I get my drum notes on tracks within Reaper.

Quote:
Now, in Reaper, you need to create a track, and select the input as "MIDI:US122L All Channels" (it might not appear exactly that way, but it should be close to that.)

Here's the deal - and you might already know this, so apologies - that midi data that you can record and edit, actually produces no sound. For the AUDIO you can do a couple different things:
1.Insert your favorite drum VSTi on the track (like Addictive Drums, BFD, etc.), and map the drum kit midi to the VSTi (Addictive drums, for example, has a map for the DTX built in.)
That's the option I chose.

So now I have 10 tracks for drums, each "listening" to a single MIDI channel. Each channel is mapped to a note.

But since my stupid drum kit is sending everything to channel 10, I don't get to EQ/Compress/work on individual VST drum kit sounds individually.

So my question is: I now have a track (mapped to channel 10, wink wink :-)) with all my notes.

How do I split those notes each to its own track?

Note 38 is the snare, I want it on track 1.
Note 36 is the kick, I want it on track 2.
Etc.

:-)
Old 11-26-2012, 05:56 PM   #8
KevinW

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie2k View Post
The drum kit. It's got all sorts of crazy sounds.

Right. That's how I get my drum notes on tracks within Reaper.

That's the option I chose.

So now I have 10 tracks for drums, each "listening" to a single MIDI channel. Each channel is mapped to a note.

But since my stupid drum kit is sending everything to channel 10, I don't get to EQ/Compress/work on individual VST drum kit sounds individually.

So my question is: I now have a track (mapped to channel 10, wink wink :-)) with all my notes.

How do I split those notes each to its own track?

Note 38 is the snare, I want it on track 1.
Note 36 is the kick, I want it on track 2.
Etc.

:-)
Ok, so are you saying that the drum kit only seems to work properly if you send out on midi channel 10, but the VSTi only works on midi channel 1? If that's the case, then on the track with the midi data, right click on the input selector, go to MIDI>"map input to channel> ..." and choose channel 1.

What VSTi are you using? I use Addictive drums, and have tracked a Roland TD-8 several times with it. Addictive drums allows you to route each kit piece to individual tracks - also known as a "multi-out" vsti.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but would it be preferable for you to keep all of the midi data on a single track, but have the audio sent to individual tracks (where you eq, compress, etc)? That seems to be a pretty standard way of working with drum VSTi's.

I hope this all doesn't sound like I'm avoiding answering your question. There are ways to split out the individual midi notes as you requested, but I don't really think that's what you want.
Nevertheless, you could:
1. duplicate the entire midi track to each kit piece track and delete the notes that don't apply; or,
2. create sends from the master midi track to each of the other tracks, and use the JS:IX/MIDI_Tool II to filter out the unwanted notes on each track; or,
3. Well,there are probably several ways, but again, I kind of hope you choose to do it differently.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:49 AM   #9
vinnie2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
Ok, so are you saying that the drum kit only seems to work properly if you send out on midi channel 10, but the VSTi only works on midi channel 1?
No :-)

I can send MIDI to other channels, but when I select other channels on my drum kit it sounds like crap and I can't play the drum kit "direct" because whatever I'm playing makes no sense. What I am playing comes out of the drum kit, not the interface / VST.

Quote:
What VSTi are you using?
Some freebee called DVS-DrumSampler.

Quote:
I use Addictive drums, and have tracked a Roland TD-8 several times with it. Addictive drums allows you to route each kit piece to individual tracks - also known as a "multi-out" vsti.
And that's exactly what I am looking for. I had promised myself to not buy a real drum VST before I had understood what I was doing and tried using what I had. I wanted to try using a freebee to then EQ/compress each instrument for educational purposes.

Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but would it be preferable for you to keep all of the midi data on a single track, but have the audio sent to individual tracks (where you eq, compress, etc)? That seems to be a pretty standard way of working with drum VSTi's.
I'd love to do that.

I am at the point where I have all my MIDI data to one track. How do I send each sound (if not each MIDI note) to a different track?

Quote:
Nevertheless, you could:
1. duplicate the entire midi track to each kit piece track and delete the notes that don't apply;
A bit too manual for me. Although I could, for each track/instrument, only load a sound for that particular note. Meeeh :-)

Quote:
2. create sends from the master midi track to each of the other tracks, and use the JS:IX/MIDI_Tool II to filter out the unwanted notes on each track; or,
That, I like. I'll try it.

Quote:
3. Well,there are probably several ways, but again, I kind of hope you choose to do it differently.
How would I? :-)

Thank you so much for taking the time.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:56 AM   #10
KevinW

DVS-Drum sampler is just a container for samples. Where did you get the samples from?

The part I don't understand is, if you set it up to use a VSTi for the audio, then you should not have ANY audio being generated by the Yamaha. In fact, until you get the setup clear, I suggest that the only cable you should have between the Yamaha and your sound card is a MIDI cable coming OUT of the Yamaha and IN to the sound card.

To do what I described, by far the simplest way is to use a multi-out VSTi. The DVS program you have is NOT multi-out. Addictive Drums is one example, but there are loads of others, (probably some free ones too, I don't know.) There is a free demo version of Addictive drums that you could use to see if you've got the hardware set up right. IIRC, the demo is fully functional and non-expiring, it just has fewer kit pieces than the full version.

By way of definition, the purpose of a VSTi is to create audio Virtually (meaning you don't need a "real" Instrument). It kind of sounds to me like you are still trying to use the instrument sounds from the Yamaha, in which case you would not use a VSTi at all.
Old 12-02-2012, 04:25 AM   #11
vinnie2k

So using the JS effect plugin seems to work for me since I can then send each note to its track. So that's that and thanks for the tip.

The multi-out VST is indeed on my buy list (I'd go for SSD4) but you see, I have already spent hundreds of dollars on stuff and I have only 4 songs done. This sucks. I need to start creating music with what I have. And money's low at the moment.

As for the setup, you're right: the only cable linking my interface and my drum kit is a MIDI cable. So when I want to track drums, I play my current mix through the speakers and I play the drums with whatever drum sounds come out of the kit. That's why changing the channel coming out of the drum kit was such a pain: playing a snare which sounded like a piano and a kick sounding like a horn really wasn't working for me :-)

Thanks for taking the time.
Old 12-02-2012, 04:56 AM   #12
KevinW

Glad you got something working, and I can completely relate about how spending money does not seem to generate songs!

If you decide you want to spend a little more time (not money) on setting it up more "traditionally", here's a well reviewed free multi-out drum vsti:

http://www.bluenoiseplugins.com/plug.../beta-edition/

I prefer Addictive Drums, but that could be just because I spent money on it... Drummix is very good.

Best of luck!
Old 12-03-2012, 01:11 PM   #13
vinnie2k

I'll try it out :-)

Thanks so much.
Old 01-23-2015, 01:52 AM   #14
hoted

Default Midi reaper dtx500

Hi friends. I connected the Yamaha dtx500 to Reapers through jack 6.3 output, but via MIDI to connect and failed, I want to change the default sounds to my sound samples , preferably in wave format, what through any VST to do it and how to change the default sounds on my sounds. Thank you
hoted is offline   Reply With Quote