Human being with feelings

Ozzy I will have something for you very soon ... Its working with markers
Sexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 04:00 PM   #162
amagalma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sexan View Post
nop, data is stored to a lua table that is stored with project "projectexstate".No hidden tracks or anything. Each track information is stored to table which has its guid. Script looks for that table and looks for that track guid
As an extra safety measure, what if it saved automatically all info in a separate txt file every time there is a change? This would be a backup, in case something goes wrong, so no data is ever lost. If for some reason the script data does not get written to the project file, then the user could choose inside the script to load the info from the backup file. What do you think?

Last edited by amagalma; 10-10-2018 at 01:27 AM.
amagalma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 01:32 AM   #163
Sexan

We will see (that also is not hard to implement), for now I just want to hunt as many bugs as possible. If all new features work without any specific problem its going to master. BTW this version has many fixes for stable version also.

Ozzy :

This will need to have shortcuts for live use

Last edited by Sexan; 10-10-2018 at 02:25 AM.
Old 10-10-2018, 05:28 AM   #164
Ozman

Quote:
We will see (that also is not hard to implement), for now I just want to hunt as many bugs as possible. If all new features work without any specific problem its going to master. BTW this version has many fixes for stable version also.

Ozzy :

This will need to have shortcuts for live use
Whoa!

That's pretty cool.
And actually a very organized way to go about it.

You're da man, Sexan!
Ozman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 05:52 AM   #165
Sexan

Since this is the only thing I've implemented ATM (also added that if edit cursor is in between markers do the same so you do not have to depend on that menu,you click where you want them to go)

What else do you expect it to do? Do we have some youtube videos of this ARRANGE view/behavior?

Last edited by Sexan; 10-10-2018 at 06:03 AM.
Old 10-10-2018, 06:05 AM   #166
Robert Johnson III

Amazing work Sexan!!!

https://soundcloud.com/mytopia
Robert Johnson III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 06:31 AM   #167
Ozman

Currently can Versions be updated or appended to?
Or is a matter of deletion and replacing?
Old 10-10-2018, 06:35 AM   #168
Sexan

Well the versions are updated all the time... if you move them,edit them,fade,change,whatever. Every change made to the version is updated.

Don't look at this script as items only. Look at each version as its own track. It behaves just like regular track,every modification made on it is stored. Script is watching what is going on on the track (in a not so efficient matter because its very cpu expensive),not items.

I assume you want if version is changed to be applied to all same version in the ARRANGE mode. This is possible ATM but it will need some additional code to limit the checking scope from a track to a specific item in this case

Last edited by Sexan; 10-10-2018 at 06:46 AM.
Old 10-10-2018, 06:53 AM   #169
Miul

Quote:
Well the versions are updated all the time... if you move them,edit them,fade,change,whatever. Every change made to the version is updated.

Don't look at this script as items only. Look at each version as its own track. It behaves just like regular track,every modification made on it is stored. Script is watching what is going on on the track (in a not so efficient matter because its very cpu expensive),not items.

I assume you want if version is changed to be applied to all same version in the ARRANGE mode. This is possible ATM but it will need some additional code to limit the checking scope from a track to a specific item in this case
Hello Sexan,

Can I know if you ever will make some videos or a sort of manual? I find difficult to understand the logic of it. Or maybe some other guy here that seems to be using it pretty well.

It would help a lot....or do you want to wait for K.Gioia?
Miul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 06:59 AM   #170
Ozman

Quote:

I assume you want if version is changed to be applied to all same version in the ARRANGE mode. This is possible ATM but it will need some additional code to limit the checking from a track to a specific item in this case
You already know, lol.
And I guess when one wants a section to break from the rest (be unique), (s)he can just save that section as another version?

If so, that can be simplified by allowing one to make a new/unique version (from selected), and if no name is used (emptied from default naming suggestion), then it doesn't belong to a version.
Also, it may be helpful to have the last inserted items be selected after insertion, so that if one desires to make a unique version when inserting, re-selection would not be necessary.
Old 10-10-2018, 07:03 AM   #171
Sexan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miul View Post
Hello Sexan,

Can I know if you ever will make some videos or a sort of manual? I find difficult to understand the logic of it. Or maybe some other guy here that seems to be using it pretty well.

It would help a lot....or do you want to wait for K.Gioia?
I think gifs from the first page are pretty self explanatory:

1. Make version

2. Add stuff to it

3. Make another

4. add more stuff to that one also

5. Do whatever you want from that point on :add envelope versions to it, edit them,fade them

6. View them all if you want

7. Make comp of them if you want

8. See Through current version time-selection (show other versions in time selection). This is very useful for example if you want only selected part to be changed. You make Time selection, activate View TS mode, scroll until you are satisfied with take and then you can merge it to current version

If the gifs in first page are not that clear. I will make a guide/tutorial no problem

The logic behind it is protools playlist or cubase track versions if you ever used them (lots of folks here did). Basically this script makes "VIRTUAL TRACKS"

Last edited by Sexan; 10-10-2018 at 07:16 AM.
Old 10-10-2018, 07:06 AM   #172
Sexan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozman View Post
You already know, lol.
And I guess when one wants a section to break from the rest (be unique), (s)he can just save that section as another version?

If so, that can be simplified by allowing one to make a new/unique version (from selected), and if no name is used (emptied from default naming suggestion), then it doesn't belong to a version.
Also, it may be helpful to have the last inserted items be selected after insertion, so that if one desires to make a unique version when inserting, re-selection would not be necessary.
I will release this soon so you can test it with some real case scenarios and then we will talk about it (I do not have any experience with ARRANGE mode with DAWs that offer them,but this is something that a lot of folks wanted for live use while the whole thing was alpha. This is second alpha because there are 8 more major new features that needs testing before it goes to "public" version)

BTW I use this on folder so all the tracks follow,but after that you can select only one version and change it in arrange (if thats what you are talking about?) :

This is with new edit marker in which edit cursor is

Last edited by Sexan; 10-10-2018 at 07:22 AM.
Old 10-10-2018, 07:42 AM   #173
Ozman

Cool.

I see also that you've already implemented a selected items focus as well.
And you are selecting all of the folder when it is selected for editing. Smart move.

This is greatness in the making.
Old 10-10-2018, 07:44 AM   #174
Ozman

Also, I want to add that it was a good call for you to choose markers for the arrangement placements. I believe that this will indeed be one of the most meaningful uses of Reaper's markers.
Old 10-10-2018, 08:04 AM   #175
Sexan

haha I did not implement anything except move items to marker and make them stay unless we are changing stuff. All behavior you see is core of playlist my blood and tears
Old 10-10-2018, 08:08 AM   #176
Ozman

Wurd!?!

Well, you did say "It will be easy to implement".
You were already ahead of the game.
This is taking what other DAW's call playlists to another level.
Old 10-10-2018, 11:21 AM   #177
Miul

Quote:
I think gifs from the first page are pretty self explanatory

The logic behind it is protools playlist or cubase track versions if you ever used them (lots of folks here did). Basically this script makes "VIRTUAL TRACKS"
I really cannot get it.

I’m not confident neither with protools playlist nor with cubase at all.
Do you think if I see some tutorial from them I can catch it?

Cheers
Old 10-10-2018, 11:23 AM   #178
Ozman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miul View Post
I really cannot get it.

I’m not confident neither with protools playlist nor with cubase at all.
Do you think if I see some tutorial from them I can catch it?

Cheers
Track versions are kind of like takes (w/out comping).
They are alternate versions of a track. Actually alternate track items.
Old 10-10-2018, 11:28 AM   #179
Sexan

Ok I will make a tutorial/guide
Old 10-10-2018, 11:46 AM   #180
Miul

[QUOTE=Ozman;2044110]Track versions are kind of like takes (w/out comping).
They are alternate versions of a track. Actually alternate track items.[/QUOTE

Are not the playlist in pro tools the comping system? And so in cubase?

Anyway, it's probably the sequence here that I don’t get. A video tutorial vwojld be so very well welcome and appreciated!!!
Old 10-10-2018, 12:00 PM   #181
Ozman

I'm not a user of those, so I don't know.
Just looking at the playlist scripts that have arisen here, they were addressing alternate track content/items.

Comping is more about selecting parts of takes for a final, optimized performance.

-------- Nutshell:

An item can be comprised of takes (multiple takes can sit in an item).
The playlist alternates items.
Old 10-10-2018, 12:56 PM   #182
Sexan

Ok,the tutorial is pretty big I shall leave the link as soon as it uploads.

This is the general ,BASIC most SIMPLE usage of the script, there are variations like sending one part of one version to another (right click context on TO button).
I do this on folder because its easier to manage 10 tracks (and that is also a big + of this script) but same applies to single track.But you can also select couple of tracks and hit NEW.

Creating envelopes is the SAME,but they do not have any manipulation ATM (sending to other version,make this make that etc...) they can only be stored and edited. I hope this will clear up a thing or two

EDIT: It will be up soon, upload failed on imgur.need to upload it somewhere its around 80mb - 5 mins

HERE I hope it works:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1IV...sCfXUX7jzoCQ7N
https://imgur.com/FeLnYmh

BTW I am not a good tutorial guy,its not my destiny ,so when its finished I hope reaperblog or robert will make youtube video someday

Last edited by Sexan; 10-10-2018 at 01:27 PM.
Old 10-10-2018, 03:54 PM   #183
Robert Johnson III

Doing some testing…I got this while comping. Using one folder with 6 imported tracks, blank reaper project

…ER/Scripts/Sexan_Scripts/Alpha/Sexan_TrackVersionWIP.lua:1937: bad argument #3 to ‘SetMediaItemInfo_Value’ (number expected, got nil)

Crash is not so bad, but when reinitialising track versions I got a blank slate, so my others folder versions where lost. Did save reaper just before the crash but not the track versions

Comping not possible:

…ER/Scripts/Sexan_Scripts/Alpha/Sexan_TrackVersionWIP.lua:593: attempt to compare number with boolean

Now with saving all the folder versions I get the the media items back (everything is still working after a crash)

Is there a mouse modifier I should be aware of? Now => media item bottom half => select time

Keep up the good work!!

Old 10-10-2018, 04:01 PM   #184
Sexan

please licecap it so i can reproduce. I will need to investigate why is data getting lost since its storing on every change... do not know what overrides it on crash (in some cases)

EDIT: I will really need a licecap since I've tried to play with various folder combinations and could not make it crash. Mouse modifiers do not matter

Last edited by Sexan; 10-11-2018 at 12:02 AM.
Old 10-11-2018, 12:54 AM   #185
Robert Johnson III

I hope this gives any info...could be an options somewhere that conflicts (maybe Mac/Win)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KuL...ew?usp=sharing

Old 10-11-2018, 01:06 AM   #186
Sexan

Ok,new update is up. This one is not compatible with previous versions regarding restoring data

Now data is stored to a TrackVersionDATA.txt file in the project folder. One plus is that by default it stores data that previously needed ADDITIONAL project save when going from "UNSAVED"project to "NAMED" project via save project as.

@Robert Johnson III
please try to use this versions and replicate crash to see if it will result to data loss (hopefully it should not anymore)
Old 10-11-2018, 01:08 AM   #187
Sexan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Johnson III View Post
I hope this gives any info...could be an options somewhere that conflicts (maybe Mac/Win)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KuL...ew?usp=sharing
Will look into this now,please try the same with new version and see if data will disappear
Old 10-11-2018, 01:16 AM   #188
Robert Johnson III

Works! Data is saved.

I'm still getting the ...ER/Scripts/Sexan_Scripts/Alpha/Sexan_TrackVersionWIP.lua:619: attempt to compare number with boolean

When comping....

Old 10-11-2018, 01:20 AM   #189
Sexan

YEEEEY!!!!

Ok I can't reproduce that problem on my end. But it indicates to time selection at your end. Not sure what is happening or is it a Mac specific bug, but it gets time selection number as boolean... Thats not right OR possible at all

Please open script in edit mode and capture that error with lice cap (click ok so it takes you to error)

I replicated your gif exactly even the time selection before and after and I cannot make it crash. Mouse Modifier do not matter since you can do selection where ever you want (only unmuted items matter),but you can check (just in case) with other modifier

It would be helpful if someone else with Windows can test this crash and one more person with Mac

Last edited by Sexan; 10-11-2018 at 01:33 AM.
Old 10-11-2018, 01:31 AM   #190
Robert Johnson III

Hope this helps...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NxC...ew?usp=sharing

Hmmm.... If I open in edit mode I get different errors... Trying to replicate

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1H5H...ew?usp=sharing

Last edited by Robert Johnson III; 10-11-2018 at 01:40 AM.
Old 10-11-2018, 01:42 AM   #191
Sexan

That is different error, you get only this two errors (line 619 and 1288)?

Does it happen only with folders?

Can you try single track ?

Make the error from beginning:

1. Make empty project
2. add 1 track
3. add versions
4. make comp

if that does not crash then make the same but with folder

I need a clean start/empty

I cant really make it crash,did everything, every combination possible
Old 10-11-2018, 02:03 AM   #192
Robert Johnson III

I get different error codes now... But the crash is almost instant. I probably need to investigate variables on my part. This can take a bit of time....

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1aE2...ew?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1K3R...ew?usp=sharing

Old 10-11-2018, 02:12 AM   #193
Sexan

we will try to pin down the problem,l will send you some different versions privately so we can track which one crashes and hopefuly find the problem,because this seems to me mac specific. I've tried on some other machines versions and could not make it crash. I do not own a mac so cant test it
Old 10-11-2018, 02:20 AM   #194
Robert Johnson III

Quote:
we will try to pin down the problem,l will send you some different versions privately so we can track which one crashes and hopefuly find the problem,because this seems to me mac specific. I've tried on some other machines versions and could not make it crash. I do not own a mac so cant test it
Thanks! Will try to eliminate the variables on my part... I can run my reaper config on pc also (dual boot config)

The instant crash points to this part of the code.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--- Function REFRESH FIPM ----------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
function update_fipm(tbl)
local offset = 0
local cnt = #tbl.ver -- number of versions (because if split happens it should stay with current version)
local track_h = reaper.GetMediaTrackInfo_Value( reaper.BR_GetMediaTrackByGUID( 0, tbl.guid ), "I_WNDH")
if track_h <= 42 then offset = 15 end
local bar_h_FIPM = ((19-offset) / track_h)
local item_h_FIPM = (1 - (cnt-1) * bar_h_FIPM) / cnt
for i = 1 , cnt do
for j = 1, #tbl.ver[i].chunk do
local item = "{"..tbl.ver[i].chunk[j]:match('{(%S+)}').."}"
item = reaper.BR_GetMediaItemByGUID( 0, item )
if not item then return end
local set_item_H = reaper.SetMediaItemInfo_Value(item, "F_FREEMODE_H", item_h_FIPM) -- set new item height
local set_item_Y = reaper.SetMediaItemInfo_Value(item, "F_FREEMODE_Y", ((i-1) * (bar_h_FIPM + item_h_FIPM)))
end
end
reaper.UpdateArrange()
end

Old 10-11-2018, 02:53 AM   #195
Robert Johnson III

Quote:
I have deleted my reaper ini. After that on the mac no more crashing and comping works... So definitely a setting on my part somewhere. Will be continued....

Old 10-11-2018, 03:08 AM   #196
Sexan

Yeah I've seen the error,and to sum it up it cant locate the track,thats is all that function needs

any background custom actions/scripts running?

Last edited by Sexan; 10-11-2018 at 03:18 AM.
Old 10-11-2018, 06:42 AM   #197
amagalma

Quote:
Now data is stored to a TrackVersionDATA.txt file in the project folder. One plus is that by default it stores data that previously needed ADDITIONAL project save when going from "UNSAVED"project to "NAMED" project via save project as.

I think this is the most safe way to go, as loosing data is the worst thing that could happen..
I can think of one corner case where data could still be lost. Imagine this scenario:
- you record different takes on different versions of a track (all data is now guaranteed not to be lost with the TrackVersionDATA.txt even if the script/Reaper crashes or project is not saved)
- you choose a take but want to keep other takes too for a possible comp in the future. You save the project
- you have the idea: "oh, let's clean the project by throwing whatever got no use". You run command "File: Clean current project directory" (40098).
- you come back later to comp. You find only the take of the active version, all other audio got wiped off.
The reason is that the 40098 action is not aware of audio stored in scripts, either in external files or in ProjExtState. It looks for audio associated with the project.

I propose a way around this: additionally to the txt file, store all items/data in a hidden track. It does not matter if items are on top of each other. What it matters is that all audio sources that exist in the tracks that have versions, exist in a track of the project so that they are associated with the project and cannot get wiped off by the 40098 action.
amagalma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 07:23 AM   #198
Miul

Quote:
lol! silly error, fixed
Hi Sexan,

First I want to thank you for the video you made, it really put me on the right track to start experimenting.

After spending some times I shot this video to show you some of the weird things that happens and also the perspective of a simple user that knows nothing about computer programming and little about Reaper. We also exist

The video is unlisted and, if you would like to watch it, is here:

https://youtu.be/9BuHnFU1BhI
Old 10-11-2018, 07:39 AM   #199
Sexan

@Miui very nice feedback! all of that is doable for comping and makes much more sense,will make adjustments.
Also you found some new bugs that I need to polish,thats why I uploaded this as a separate "ALPHA" script so users help me find them because it hard to find and fix all by my self

Will fix most of that. Thank you!

Regarding undo, proper undo will be a little hard because the script will need to have its own undo internally for some things. But I have some ideas about it,but it will be the last thing to implement. When I polish other features

In the meantime new update with fix for storing data (when project tabs or projects change) is up

Last edited by Sexan; 10-11-2018 at 08:08 AM.
Old 10-11-2018, 07:52 AM   #200
Robert Johnson III

Quote:
Yeah I've seen the error,and to sum it up it cant locate the track,thats is all that function needs

any background custom actions/scripts running?
No background script... Can't find what makes the difference... Maybe it was time for a new .ini anyway, cleaned-up the old stuff