Old 03-16-2019, 11:47 PM   #1
dasdeck
Human being with feelings

Default upcoming DrumRack (+more) and some questions

Hey!

I'm really enjoying writing some cool LUA code with the reaper API and so far the possibilities seem very rich.

The first idea was to build an abl*ton l*ve like drum rack (I tested the RSK manager, but did not like it), and what I have so far is very promising:

some key features:
  • drag and drop audio files to pads creates layers of reasamplomatic5000 instances
  • drag and drop track templates creates layers from those (using the first track as sound source)
  • create pads/layer from tracks, etc.
  • flip and/or copy pads by drag and drop
  • pads can 'choke' each other
  • pads can have fixed length (time) regular press and release or infintie length / one shot mode
  • solo/mute/edit/delete layers/instruments
  • save kits as track templates
  • flip through kits (wip)
  • no internal state is kept, e.g. the drum rack is completely driven by the track structure underneath and a "hub" plugin distributing the midi data to the pads and layers, which themselves are just plain tracks.

edit:
you can find the source with some info on how to use it here:

https://github.com/dasdeck/reaper

I'm also working on some other utils and (another) UI framework as I go.

The (UI) framework is very much influenced by how the JUCE framework works.
So far it all works very well, however, I'd like to optimize it to make it safe for bigger projects.

and there we come to my questions:
  • Is there a good way to communicate arbitrary data with a specific jsfx instance(for example a midi sequence)? So far I communicate via parameters and global memory, but that seems to have its limits.

That's it for now! Regarding the release, I'm having too much fun right now with new features, I'll try to tame myself and polish some edges so I can publish a usable version very soon (few weeks).

Cheers!

JM
Attached Images
File Type: png DrumRack.png (12.9 KB, 283 views)

Last edited by dasdeck; 03-21-2019 at 08:37 AM.
dasdeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 12:03 AM   #2
Cranky Emu

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasdeck View Post
I'll try to tame myself and polish some edges so I can publish a usable version very soon (few weeks)
So with this wise machine your making, can you drag samples for instance onto a pad and create your own little drum kit/machine? Will it learn a beat, or does that have to be programmed via some other method?

I would say keep developing it until you feel you have all the (or at least a good number) that most people would be looking to use. Then your not chasing your tail with requests of "But can you add this, oh an a coffee maker to tks"...

Looks good and sounds very promising.
Cranky Emu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 01:28 AM   #3
mpl

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasdeck View Post
Is there some kind of event (or pattern) to listen to reapers's project state changing? (I want to optimize paint events as well as keep tracks and plugins in sync)
reaper.GetProjectStateChangeCount( proj )

Quote:
Is there a good way to communicate arbitrary data with a specific jsfx instance(for example a midi sequence)? So far I communicate via parameters and global memory, but that seems to have its limits.
Using gmem seems an easiest way. Limits is what, timing?

RS5k manager indeed unusable in some cases, but mostly it can do the same things you mentioned as features.
Old 03-17-2019, 01:57 AM   #4
dasdeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpl View Post
reaper.GetProjectStateChangeCount( proj )
That looks Awesome! Thanks, MPL!

Quote:
Using gmem seems an easiest way. Limits is what, timing?
no not timing. I handle timing inside the jsfx. How would you target specific fx instances with gmem?
I could not think of a way to properly identify instances :/. Maybe I'm missing something, like with the GetProjectStateChangeCount().

RS5k manager is a work of genius and art! Though I prefer classic "clean code" (small methods, oop), I can not handle smart people's code .

Can it layer other plugins as well? My goal was something that can layer a sample kick with a synth kick, etc. or generally mix synth sounds with samples.

Cheers!

JM
Old 03-17-2019, 02:50 AM   #5
mpl

Quote:
How would you target specific fx instances with gmem?
Depends on what you want to do exactly (what kind of MIDI data and how would you like to transfer it).

Quote:
Can it layer other plugins as well?
No, it is only designed to organize RS5k instances.
Old 03-17-2019, 03:52 AM   #6
dasdeck

Quote:
Depends on what you want to do exactly (what kind of MIDI data and how would you like to transfer it).
I was thinking of some midi editing scripts/apps.
the idea was to get the midi data from a MediaItem and then send them back to a take based midi fx so one can alter midi data in a non-destructive fashion. Otherwise, I'd have to write the midi data back to the MediaItem, thus altering it.

I would use this for all kinds of ideas, another step sequencer, for example, a groove quantizer, etc.

I was thinking of writing the midi data to different takes/ items, but that approach seems to clutter up the project in a bad way. Unless I'm missing something.

Ideally I'd end up with sometihng link this:

Code:
pluginInstance:sendData('someScopeName', arrayOfMidiEvents)
having a sequencer like midi jsfx is "easy". The midi_delay essentially does this already.
I based my own track utility on this already.

It would be great (and quite easy) to just push arbitrary midi data to the delay buffer.
I just can not wrap my head around on how to properly (and safely!) target specific instances, as they all share the same memory and seemingly have no internal instance ids. (using a parameter seems unsafe for example and relies on manual interaction)

hmmm...

maybe I can assign IDs to the plugin instances via a script? ... I'll try that!
That still makes using the shared buffer quite elaborate though!
Maybe I can wrap this in a clever way

Cheer!
Old 03-18-2019, 09:21 AM   #7
TonE

Looks like another master entering the Reaper Arena. Thanks for keeping the great Reaper vibe. What you can be sure here, the requests will never end. So building a system for easily adding new stuff would be a wise first step. Let us wait then.

Did you share your older stuff anywhere? Midi loop, global transpose? Github?

Last edited by TonE; 03-18-2019 at 09:39 AM.
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 09:53 AM   #8
ashcat_lt

IDK if this can help you but I found that in JS the pseudo object namespaces can be leveraged into what seem to be discrete arrays, and that includes the _global namespace.

So you could have something like _global.yourname,yourscript.parameter0[instance].
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 02:09 PM   #9
Vagelis

Oh it looks very promising! Looking forward
Vagelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 08:38 AM   #10
dasdeck

Hey!

I uploaded an early alpha to get some early feedback from you guys.
See the first post.

@ ashcat_lt

Can you try to rephrase the idea of the namespaces? I'm afraid I don't get it :/

Cheers!

JM
Old 03-21-2019, 10:28 AM   #11
ashcat_lt

_global.thing[0] is different from _global.thing[1] and also different from _global.otherthing[0] without having to first declare an offset for otherthing.

Just in general, my.thing[x] , you can use that to build your own arrays and avoid the weird shared buffer with all the index management. The _global namespace is global, though, so can replace gmem, and is a great way to pass information between plugins.

We are trying to set a sort of standard for global variables pretty much like I posted above just to keep from getting in each other's (and our own) way.

Last edited by ashcat_lt; 03-21-2019 at 10:45 AM.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 06:50 AM   #12
Ozman

I tried it, but was getting errors, i guess from the assumed paths.

I'll just wait to do it the easier way (ReaPack).
Ozman is offline   Reply With Quote