Old 09-04-2009, 08:00 AM   #1
Finnish
Human being with feelings

Default I just bought Millenium MPS-400 e-drums. Anyone tried?

Yeap, I bought those from Thomann, so I'll receive'em later.

Anyone got any xperience with that set?

I'm not a drummer and I'm not looking for hifi-touch etc on that set, I need midi-out so I can quickly play things in and also for some demo-sessions with our drummer.

So no Roland-trolls here.. Heh.
Old 09-04-2009, 08:08 AM   #2
drakeblood

I'm hugely interested with your experience because i was thinking to do the same.
Please let us know how it goes!
Old 09-04-2009, 08:14 AM   #3
daal

Is there a "levelled" hi hat signal ?

I've seen those but have no idea what it worth ...
Old 09-06-2009, 12:52 PM   #4
Finnish

Quote:
Originally Posted by daal View Post
Is there a "levelled" hi hat signal ?

I've seen those but have no idea what it worth ...
What do you mean by levelled signal?

Oh, and bumpty bum... I bet someone has this set!
Old 09-16-2009, 02:40 AM   #5
Finnish

I just received mine from Thomann!!! YEAH!

I'll post something when I'm finished with setup and shortcircuit etc.
Old 09-16-2009, 11:52 AM   #6
Finnish

Ok..

It was like having x-mas present a bit earlier! Setup was easy and fast. First impression about build quality was not so über solid, but after tightening the screws it felt really good. Plug in from pad to the "brain" and start messing around..

Built in sounds are really shit, I'd say you can play for fun with those but that's it, enough for me.

Plug in USB and XP installs drivers automatically. Reaper sees all MIDI-signals very well, rim-shots and hi-hat controller sends all three signals (closed, open and pedal pressed down) very well. Adjusting pad/rim/kick-sensitivity from brain was really easy.

BUT... I can't play Analogue Drum-samples from Shortcircuit, at least not with acceptable latency. I guess it's not made for live-playing with such a massive sample-library. I don't know, just my thoughts about testing Shortcircuit this way.

I'll test some more tomorrow with other VSTi and library, possibly EZDrummer. I haven't played other e-drums, but I'd say for money this set is a no brainer. Pads react very well, I play quite softly, and over all I'm more than pleased with my purchase. MORE than pleased!!!
Old 09-17-2009, 02:33 AM   #7
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

I've had a play with a number of the 'ultra cheap' electronic kits, and my impression has been this : they're a bit crap. BUT! Swap the stands (the worst bit) for some cheap second hand real drum stands and they're incredibly good fun and a much, much better way of programming drums than bashing a keyboard with your fingers. A good buy.
White Tie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 12:52 PM   #8
Finnish

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Tie View Post
I've had a play with a number of the 'ultra cheap' electronic kits, and my impression has been this : they're a bit crap. BUT! Swap the stands (the worst bit) for some cheap second hand real drum stands and they're incredibly good fun and a much, much better way of programming drums than bashing a keyboard with your fingers. A good buy.
I'd say this set (am I biased... hah) is not pure crap.

I tried the set with EZDrummer today - superb! Mapping worked out of the box, overall feeling felt really really good. Symbals and snare feels (to earphones) like playing a the real thing, the only thing that has to be fixed/tuned is hihat: Either I play too soft or the hihat sensitivity can't be adjusted low enough. Plus I have to check the position and where I hit the hihat.

Setup looks like this

http://www.ukkohapponen.fi/media/Gal.../4%20ready.JPG

But, I have no probs with symbal stands. They're actually quite nice!

Anyway, I'll fight with hihat and see how it goes, I won't quit!

I'll possibly buy Steven Slate Drums EX-package when it comes out, I'll post some shit then. Or not.
Old 05-08-2010, 06:34 AM   #9
zaietz

Default cheers

cheers bro,i have a question for you.
i have the millenium mps 400 kit..and when i plug into my pc with the usb...i dont hear anything if im hitting the pads....the pc recognize the drumkit..but doesnt reproduce the sounds....
my os is windows 7 x64 or windows xp x64 ...
10x ..waiting for a response..

ZaietZ Disappearance Division
www.myspace.com/5dbd
www.myspace.com/firstdivisionband
zaietz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 04:08 PM   #10
ivansc

you have to have hosted a VSTi drum rompler of some sort like EZD or BFD in reaper & point the midi input from your e kit to it, in order to actually play any sounds.
ivansc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 05:39 PM   #11
drumphil

Quote:
BUT... I can't play Analogue Drum-samples from Shortcircuit, at least not with acceptable latency. I guess it's not made for live-playing with such a massive sample-library. I don't know, just my thoughts about testing Shortcircuit this way.
wouldn't this have more to do with your asio buffer size and audio interface than the e-drums or software?
drumphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 04:53 AM   #12
Dissident-One

Default .

Hey, gonna ask some really n00b questions here, so bare with me guys (first ever electric kit, or dalliance with electric instruments for that matter).
So I've got this MPS 400, I've plugged it, via USB into my Mac (apparently according to the manual it works with mac without drivers) but.... then what?
Do I need some kind of MIDI program on my Mac to see the device? Or is something else going on?

Also, with regards to Finnish, you said you changed the sounds on the kit as the default ones aren't great, how do I go about doing this?

Cheers for your patience guys, I'm sure this is really obvious stuff, I'm an acoustic drummer by nature but I needed one of these for practice purposes, and to bash out really quick, rough demos with my band.
Dissident-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 05:07 AM   #13
Finnish

Back to my own topic...

Ok, I've been using it and the drummer in my band has been using it. Sometimes I practice with it and sometimes we do demos and some other fast recordings for the record company using this e-kit and Superior Drummer 2. For the price it's a winner, I'd say. But it has some not-so-good features as well: sometimes hits are not recognized, overall sensitivity is not that good to adjust etc. But hey, it's a "cheap" kit and I've had A LOT fun with it plus it's a real time saver when fast demos are required. A LOT faster to play songs through it -> SD2 and there you go, doesn't sound that machine like at all and there's that "natural" swing when played by a "real drummer".

And too all ya sound problems-dudes: plug it in to PC/Mac, launch Reaper plus/or some standalone drum VSTi and off you go... The built in sounds via headphones are pure shit, but hey you can't have everything.. Or can you?
Old 12-26-2010, 01:37 AM   #14
necroticist

Sorry to dig up an old topic, but I was thinking of getting an MPS to use with EZDrummer (and Reaper, obviously).

For those who use this kit, how easy is it to assemble/disassemble it? I have very limited space available, so is it feasible to keep assembling and then packing it up again?
necroticist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 02:12 AM   #15
ivansc

If you set the frame up right, you`ll find you can fold the outboard arms in to reduce the overall space the kit takes up dramatically.
I have progressed from an Alesis IO and some old Alesis cheapo plastic pads to a Gibraltar two leg rack stand and a bunch of R****d mesh head pads and TD8 unit that I picked up ultra cheap used.
Before that I bought some 8" Traps pads from Traps themselves with mesh heads etc that play every bit as well as the R****d pads I now have.
Very reasonably priced and the guys at Traps are super helpful.

Hi Hat accuracy is always going to be a problem. I bought a R****d CY5 and the FD8 controller and this leaves a lot to be desired, but is at least the chepest part to upgrade on your current kit.
CY5 cost me 50.15 brand new from DV and the pedal was £45 new from Germany.

Be warned E drums are worse than boats.
Large hole you keep pouring money in.

I am so tempted by a Hart Hi Hat trigger setup....
Old 12-26-2010, 07:25 AM   #16
Sheppola

This may be of interest,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_OU0Au68yQ

as a better drum sound source.
Sheppola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 10:03 AM   #17
ivansc

Forgot to add I have and use battery 3, BFD lite, EZDrummer, Superior Drummer, Steven Slate EX & Ocean way for Kontakt and a couple of other sound sources.
All are good.

It is getting harder and harder these days to find a drum rompler library that ISN`T good.

Your best bet is to try out all the demos you can find and decide which one or ones suits your preferred style of music best.

I generally end up using either the standard pop kit, or the Nashville kit from Toon Tracks for most things, with Battery 3 for when I need to play something weird or electronic drums.

BFD is a pain in the ass for me because of how I like to work.
Tried and disliked Addictive drums way of working.
Jamstix I also tried but not as a recipient of my e-drumming.