Old 12-24-2010, 10:45 AM   #1
Funksploitation
Human being with feelings

Default free K-Meter VST plugin!

Get it here: http://mzuther.github.com/out/kmeter/index.html
Old 12-24-2010, 11:05 AM   #2
Xenakios

While one should not say bad things about gifts, this is totally lame (from the installation instructions on the site):

Quote:
Windows users should download the pre-compiled FFTW DLL files and drop them into %SystemDirectory% (usually located at C:\WINDOWS\system32\).
If the separate download thing wasn't bad enough, the instruction to put the dlls in the system32 directory is just plain stupid. If the author of the plugin doesn't know or doesn't want to learn how to deal with dlls on Windows, maybe he should just forget releasing anything for Windows.

edit : Ok, what I wrote above is nasty, considering it's Christmas time and all...And I understand the problems associated with this, being familiar with Windows-based development.

There are however practical reasons why such things should be avoided. Firstly, people might download wrong things from the other (FFTW) site and be perplexed what they should do. Secondly, asking to put things in the system32 directory is a pretty invasive procedure that requires administrator privileges to be used. Also, what if another app/plugin requires to put the same named but different builds of the FFTW dlls there? It might result in the other app/plugin not working anymore, as it might expect some particular version of the dlls in question.
--
Xenakios blog (about HourGlass, Paul(X)Stretch and λ) :
http://xenakios.wordpress.com/

Last edited by Xenakios; 12-24-2010 at 11:15 AM.
Old 12-24-2010, 11:12 AM   #3
hopi

you tell 'em Xen.. that is really amazing, but it's good for me..

I can add it as another item in my new book, "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Stupidity"
Old 12-24-2010, 11:41 AM   #4
Funksploitation

Uh yeah...you're welcome.

BTW I've been working with Windows for over 20 years and have never required any privileges in particular when adding things to system32. I make my daily bread as a technical writer for a well-known international IT consulting company.

But there it is; that's why my picture is in the Complete Idiot's Guide to Stupdidity.

Merry Christmas - assholes.

Last edited by Funksploitation; 12-24-2010 at 11:47 AM.
Old 12-24-2010, 11:53 AM   #5
Xenakios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funksploitation View Post
Uh yeah...you're welcome.

BTW I've been working with Windows for over 20 years and have never required any privileges in particular when adding things to system32. I make my daily bread as a technical writer for a well-known international IT consulting company.

But there it is; that's why my picture is in the Complete Idiot's Guide to Stupdidity.

Merry Christmas - assholes.
Maybe you and/or your users run as administrators all the time and are using XP and below. Common enough in the Windows world, but it doesn't mean it's the smart thing to do and require. I don't run as admin on Windows 7 because I should not be required to do so anymore, for user land software. By running at user privileges, I will also immediately know if my own softwares under development would require admin privileges because of some programming mishap.

Because you are implying I came up with this from my ass...I tested it now and this is what I get when trying to copy the FFTW dlls to system32 directory:

--
Xenakios blog (about HourGlass, Paul(X)Stretch and λ) :
http://xenakios.wordpress.com/

Last edited by Xenakios; 12-24-2010 at 12:00 PM.
Old 12-24-2010, 12:04 PM   #6
Funksploitation

Oh no, I knew you were talking about Windows 7 - I just thought I'd let you know how snotty I thought you and the other poster's immediate dismissal of this new plugin was, particularly the suggestion that anyone who tries it is an idiot. Obviously as a Win 7 user you also know that overriding the non-issue you describe above is dead easy.

But yes as a matter of fact I run XP on my DAW computer and find the restrictions Win 7 places on users to be insulting.
Old 12-24-2010, 01:10 PM   #7
skmando

Hi Funksploitation,

Thanks very much for posting. Although I use OS X pretty much exclusively, I found it very interesting reading, particularly in relation to the "Loudness War".

It mentions that this plug-in is not yet been compiled for OS X. Unfortunately I don't have the skills to compile myself, but would be more than willing to test if any members of this forum could step up and compile as a Mac VST.

Once again, thanks and merry christmas.

S.
Old 12-24-2010, 01:17 PM   #8
Sigilus

Quote:
Oh no, I knew you were talking about Windows 7 - I just thought I'd let you know how snotty I thought you and the other poster's immediate dismissal of this new plugin was, particularly the suggestion that anyone who tries it is an idiot. Obviously as a Win 7 user you also know that overriding the non-issue you describe above is dead easy.

But yes as a matter of fact I run XP on my DAW computer and find the restrictions Win 7 places on users to be insulting.
To put the shoe on the other foot, this reply and utter dismissal of Windows 7, a rapidly-growing user base, is snotty as well.
Old 12-24-2010, 01:20 PM   #9
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenakios View Post
Maybe you and/or your users run as administrators all the time and are using XP and below. Common enough in the Windows world, but it doesn't mean it's the smart thing to do and require. I don't run as admin on Windows 7 because I should not be required to do so anymore, for user land software. By running at user privileges, I will also immediately know if my own softwares under development would require admin privileges because of some programming mishap.

Because you are implying I came up with this from my ass...I tested it now and this is what I get when trying to copy the FFTW dlls to system32 directory:

Admin not required to consume the Dlls and the DLL won't have admin privleges by loading them from that folder. However, I agree though that its bad practice to put them there. It was likely done because system32 is part of the global path, which is a bit lazy and it's still better not to put them there in the first place from a "good coding" standpoint.

Karbo

Last edited by karbomusic; 12-24-2010 at 01:29 PM.
Old 12-24-2010, 01:22 PM   #10
karbomusic

Quote:
find the restrictions Win 7 places on users to be insulting.
Not to be insulting but as someone else who has been in this industry for many, many years the statement above should not be coming from an accomplished techincal writer and they are not restrictions.

Karbo

Last edited by karbomusic; 12-24-2010 at 01:29 PM.
Old 12-24-2010, 02:54 PM   #11
BrianW

Lesson to learn... don't ever offer these guys anything for free unless you offer full, 24/7 support, a gui that they deem is better than the one in the $399 version of x that they already bought, and make sure it's 100% set up for their particular system's configuration and functions exactly the way their brain already operates so they don't have to learn any new ways of doing anything.

Otherwise, they just can't bring themselves to say something more like, "Hey, thanks for doing this, what a great idea! By the way, I had a few issues setting it up on my particular system that you might consider addressing if you intend to share it with the masses". Nope, it's much easier to call you a poster child for the dummies guide to stupidity or whatever.

You gotta have a thick skin to offer your creativity to some in this crowd, believe me. Personally, I apologize for their lack of courtesy and gratefulness, and myself say "thank you" for sharing what you've done.

~B
Old 12-24-2010, 03:01 PM   #12
hopi

no no... Thanks for posting and sharing.... of course, at the same time isssues are issues....

if you lose your sense of humor it's NOT funny

peace on earth, goodwill to men [and creatures]... so sorry that you were offended by this asshole....

It really wasn't meant to offend you personally in any way...

... I assume people know by now that V4 allows K metering natively... and that there are also other plugins that do K metering as well.... Still, the more the merrier, so Merry Christmas to you.
Old 12-24-2010, 03:05 PM   #13
karbomusic

Quote:
"Hey, thanks for doing this, what a great idea!"
Yes it is a fine idea, but the system32 issue should be addressed as it will save lots of future grief even if the responses here weren't as nice as they could be.

Karbo
Old 12-24-2010, 03:06 PM   #14
BrianW

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
no no... Thanks for posting and sharing.... of course, at the same time isssues are issues....

if you lose your sense of humor it's NOT funny

peace on earth, goodwill to men [and creatures]... so sorry that you were offended by this asshole....

It really wasn't meant to offend you personally in any way...

... I assume people know by now that V4 allows K metering natively... and that there are also other plugins that do K metering as well.... Still, the more the merrier, so Merry Christmas to you.
Ahhh... :facepalm Sorry, I misunderstood your post. Direct my sarcasm at xen, lol.
Old 12-24-2010, 09:23 PM   #15
hopi

yeah, yeah.. that damn Xen... so what if he's a genius and brilliant codehead who has given so freely and generously to the reaper community.... direct it at him anyway... I know he has a good sense of humor
Old 12-25-2010, 04:41 PM   #16
Funksploitation

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Not to be insulting but as someone else who has been in this industry for many, many years the statement above should not be coming from an accomplished techincal writer and they are not restrictions.

Karbo
Luckily for me, I don't have to write for a living about OSs and the things about them that I like or don't like. Because my Net machine is new, I decided to leave Win 7 on it, loathesome though I find it to use with its in-built assumption that the user is a security cheesecloth it needs to kid-glove through every frickin' process. But your disclaimer aside, with the exception of BrianW and skmando it's been nothing but insults since I posted this thread.

BTW, not sure why anyone thought I coded this thing anyway - I just found it on KVR and posted here. Both kudos and insults can be directed to the author, thanks.
Old 12-25-2010, 04:42 PM   #17
Funksploitation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth R. View Post
To put the shoe on the other foot, this reply and utter dismissal of Windows 7, a rapidly-growing user base, is snotty as well.
Because you said so? Good thing I don't know you nor give a rat's ass what you think about me.

cheers,
Funksplo.
Old 12-25-2010, 04:58 PM   #18
Coachz

Hugs for everyone
Old 12-25-2010, 08:32 PM   #19
DBMusic

Quote:
Because you said so? Good thing I don't know you nor give a rat's ass what you think about me.

cheers,
Funksplo.
Hmmm...now who in their right mind would have a rat's ass to give? Do they come in a jar? Or do you have to hunt the little buggers down with a filet knife?

Chill out guys...it's Christmas

Regards,

DB
Old 12-25-2010, 08:37 PM   #20
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBMusic View Post
Hmmm...now who in their right mind would have a rat's ass to give?

DB
Easy now... I just received a big jar of rat's asses for christmas. I'm having one right now thank you.

Karbo
Old 12-25-2010, 09:48 PM   #21
shawnguess

Quote:

cheers,
Funksplo.
stop being such a sensitive little girl.

thanks for sharing, but it turned out to not be such a great thing to share, oops, move on.

we know youre a pro tech writer and that youre stuck in XP because windows 7 is bloatware, is the illusion of security, and that XP is vastly superior in every way.

riiiight.
Old 12-25-2010, 10:17 PM   #22
richie43

as quoted by Funksploitation

Quote:
I decided to leave Win 7 on it, loathesome though I find it to use with its in-built assumption that the user is a security cheesecloth it needs to kid-glove through every frickin' process.
Come on, many computer users DO need their hands held and need the extra layer of security. I tried to hate all Micro$oft but Windows 7 has been awesome for me for audio production. If a user is as technically advanced as Funksploitation then it is easy enough to disable all of the supposed bloatware and unnecessary security. And if they are not as proficient, then lucky them. Either way, this forum doesn't need to turn into a pissing match (unless you can REALLY impress us with your pissing prowess!). And XP was a great OS, especially after being handed Vista. But 7 seems to have been made for graphic/audio artists. Good luck with XP after Micro$oft ends support for it....
Old 12-26-2010, 12:23 AM   #23
chrisharbin

bummer, not x64
Old 12-26-2010, 12:32 AM   #24
richie43

Absolutely 64!
Old 12-26-2010, 12:39 AM   #25
chrisharbin

where? the link from the OP just shows 32 bit
Old 12-26-2010, 12:46 AM   #26
richie43

My bad. Misunderstood what you meant. Cheers.
Old 12-26-2010, 12:48 AM   #27
chrisharbin

No prob, got a little excited there for a moment
Old 12-26-2010, 12:48 AM   #28
richie43

And personally I would heed the warnings posted by others about installing things that require you to drop things into your System 32 folder. Just my opinion based on my experience (not as a tech but as a DAW user).
Old 12-26-2010, 07:53 AM   #29
flight

Hmmm. Am a little appalled by the level of what seems unwarranted hostility over someone posting a freebie in this thread. Feeling a little like I oughta just keep my mouth shut or I'll get a good trashing too, a feeling I NEVER have on this forum. Of course, I don't have enough sense to hold my peace, so maybe I am stupid. I'm sure I'll find out shortly.

Seems that the noted objections are valid, but could be made without resorting to calling people idiots. Or am I missing something?
Old 12-26-2010, 08:30 AM   #30
richie43

My comments were strictly addressing the whole System 32 thing, not an attack on the OP. You are right flight, we should all be thankful for someone offering what they at least think will be a useful tool for recording. Absolutely. Thanks Funksploitation! I also feel that it's embarrassing to read over dramatic attacks by supposed adults and supposed serious and driven artists. But that's what makes the world (and the internet) so interesting and crazy; the diversity and dynamics of people. Rock on!
Old 12-26-2010, 11:50 AM   #31
skmando

erm, could I interject with an "idiot's" question?

What is the issue with putting stuff in the system32 folder?

Seriously; I'm a mac user, so have no idea what you are all on about. Rather than get into any mindless, pointless debate about pros and cons of mac vs. pc, or XP vs. 7, I'd actually really like to know.

Not least because REAPER has been the only app in the last 5 years or so that has made me consider going back to PCs.
Old 12-26-2010, 11:54 AM   #32
shawnguess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenakios View Post
There are however practical reasons why such things should be avoided. Firstly, people might download wrong things from the other (FFTW) site and be perplexed what they should do. Secondly, asking to put things in the system32 directory is a pretty invasive procedure that requires administrator privileges to be used. Also, what if another app/plugin requires to put the same named but different builds of the FFTW dlls there? It might result in the other app/plugin not working anymore, as it might expect some particular version of the dlls in question.
thats a pretty good summary
Old 12-26-2010, 11:58 AM   #33
skmando

ok, so system32 contains files that are linked to applications, that user really doesn't need to open/edit?

Are they vital to the general operating system, or just third party installed apps?
Old 12-26-2010, 12:00 PM   #34
shawnguess

both in one way or another is my understanding, but i would have to let someone more qualified go into specifics. im no programmer.
Old 12-26-2010, 12:01 PM   #35
skmando

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnguess View Post
both in one way or another is my understanding, but i would have to let someone more qualified go into specifics. im no programmer.
well thanks anyway for such a speedy reply!
Old 12-26-2010, 12:15 PM   #36
flight

Quote:
Originally Posted by skmando View Post
ok, so system32 contains files that are linked to applications, that user really doesn't need to open/edit?

Are they vital to the general operating system, or just third party installed apps?
If I recall correctly, back in the day (and we are talking ancient history here, like Win 3.1 days) folks used to install their dlls in the system directory because they would always be found by any app anywhere. Of course, then someone else would write an app with a .dll of the same name, and when you installed it, the app relying on the first .dll would stop working, usually generating unintelligible (except to the initiated) error messages. The support boards were full of these issues. Apps that "mysteriously" stopped working.

For quite some time now, this has been a no-no. And Xen is correct in pointing it out. But we also like to leave space for the "idiot" question, if for no other reason (in my case) than I like to ask them sometimes myself, as do others, so unless someone's idiocy is of malicious nature and intent, we usually like to make plenty of space for it. Hence, courtesy, even if someone does something that overlooks the conventional wisdom.

f
Old 12-26-2010, 12:48 PM   #37
karbomusic

Quote:
I also feel that it's embarrassing to read over dramatic attacks by supposed adults and supposed serious and driven artists.
I'm wearing a pink bunny suit for god's sake.

Karbo
Old 12-26-2010, 03:59 PM   #38
flight

Ah. Point taken... true that... Siwwy Wabbit...
Old 12-26-2010, 04:18 PM   #39
cricket

Quote:
The protection of UAC is just that = protection.

I appreciate being told, as opposed to XP, when something is either trying to write itself to my hard drive or trying to operate at a privileged level.

Another can of worms, but I do know of people who purport the main reason a great deal of viruses are still around are due to the XP populace. Hard to say thats not true. Theres viruses that will easily slip into XP that will be completely thwarted with UAC in Vista or Win7.

XP in 2010? Hmmm, not so sure about that anymore. Sure, it was a good OS - but its mere presence lowers the bar for protection far and wide for PC users, is one thing Ive been told.

And hey guys, this is just some rhetoric passed on to me - please feel VERY free to correct on any or all of it. Just giving my two cents of whats been passed on to me regarding the often nagging, yet highly useful User Account Control pop-ups and notices.
Old 12-26-2010, 04:34 PM   #40
cricket

Quote:
Originally Posted by flight View Post
If I recall correctly, back in the day (and we are talking ancient history here, like Win 3.1 days) folks used to install their dlls in the system directory because they would always be found by any app anywhere. Of course, then someone else would write an app with a .dll of the same name, and when you installed it, the app relying on the first .dll would stop working, usually generating unintelligible (except to the initiated) error messages. The support boards were full of these issues. Apps that "mysteriously" stopped working.

For quite some time now, this has been a no-no. And Xen is correct in pointing it out. But we also like to leave space for the "idiot" question, if for no other reason (in my case) than I like to ask them sometimes myself, as do others, so unless someone's idiocy is of malicious nature and intent, we usually like to make plenty of space for it. Hence, courtesy, even if someone does something that overlooks the conventional wisdom.

f
DLL errors?! Oh man, now im getting Windows Millenium flashbacks. Yeah....unintelligble error messages when things worked correctly just a day before? BEEN THERE.

.dll errors used to drastically suck. Talk about a mystery. Like I said, what you posted is bringing back bad memories.

From my fledgling corner, I can easily agree that this is THE very reason I wouldnt mess around with .dll files of this type. It might be easy to do but the fact that its so unconventional to anything else like that Ive installed within the last many years, Id avoid dealing with it. I would not want to mess around with .dll files in my system32 folder.
Closed Thread