Old 12-25-2010, 07:41 PM   #1
lizzard
Human being with feelings

Default midi question

When i record a midi track where is the midi i recorded saved?

Not as a midi file i presume ?

Another question is can I configure reaper to NOT use documents and setting/user/etc/etc.
and just use a directory under reaper?

It is a pain to do a full backup of your reaper and lose many settings when transporting to another machine.
lizzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 08:21 PM   #2
-R-

Hi,

1) It's not recorded anywhere, I think. If you need it, open the midi editor, and under file menu, export as a new midi file
2) In project settings (Alt+Enter), you can specify a path to record, and then save your settings as default project settings
3) You can export all your settings but haven't used that yet. Search the forum, it has been discussed
-R- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 08:32 PM   #3
lizzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by -R- View Post
Hi,

1) It's not recorded anywhere, I think. If you need it, open the midi editor, and under file menu, export as a new midi file
2) In project settings (Alt+Enter), you can specify a path to record, and then save your settings as default project settings
3) You can export all your settings but haven't used that yet. Search the forum, it has been discussed
Thanks for the reply,

The MIDI must be recorded somewhere as it saves with the project.

I really want reaper and everything to do with it to just live in one place as it used to .
Old 12-25-2010, 09:17 PM   #4
flatfinger

It's saved along with the RPP file ; .. Midi doesn't make big data files so it's just included.
" I must bow and agree that an education that consists solely of a login at gearslutz and a collection of receipts from Guitar Center on mom's credit card trumps the hell out of actual, hands on experience" ........Pipeline Audio
flatfinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 04:25 AM   #5
gofer
-blänk-

1) You can decide whether Reaper handles MIDI in-project (saved within the *.rpp file - you can open that file in a text editor and find/edit your MIDI data) or as separate *.mid files. That can be set in Preferences => Media => MIDI. You can convert to and fro anytime.

2) You can install Reaper as a portable install. That will install all components inside one single folder. In the new alphas you can choose that option right from the installer, I hope that this stays for the release versions. For 3.x, do an ordinary install first and then do a portable install. Under Windows you do that from the start menu => Reaper => "Install Reaper to USB key or removable media". Just chose a folder on your hard drive instead of a USB drive or removable disk when asked for a location.
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 06:30 AM   #6
lizzard

Thanks Gofer! And others for trying!

Both issues resolved . This forum is a wonderful place
Old 12-26-2010, 07:47 AM   #7
gofer
-blänk-

Cheers, mate

Don't forget to check out the settings im- and export -R- mentioned.
It's under preferences => General, right at the top. You can opt to im- and export basically everything significant to your personal Reaper.
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote