CONFEDERATED FORUMS
Cockos : REAPER : NINJAM : Forums
Forum Home : Register : FAQ : Members List : Search :
Old 10-19-2005, 02:07 PM   #1
Flo
Human being with feelings

Default Features request

Hi everyone

First i would like to thanks the developers for this great program.

I have two suggestions to make :

1) It would be great if you could add the support for jack (http://jackit.sourceforge.net/) in the linux version of ninjam , because i think that most people who make music with linux use it.

2) Would it be possible to have midi synchronisation for the metronome so that people playing "live music" ( with instruments ) could jam with people using sequencers ?

If you need some help, i am currently learning audio/midi programmation so i can try to implement those features.

Thanks again

Flo
Flo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 01:50 PM   #2
Brennan
hey man

Well, the Wasabi-based client has MIDI time syncing:

http://www.ninjam.com/downloads/ninj...win32-0.04.zip

You can see the source code too:

http://www.ninjam.com/downloads/wasa...ource-0.04.zip

Brennan
Brennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 09:40 AM   #3
Flo

Thanks for answering

Apparently the wasabi client is for windows only.
Are you going to add MIDI time syncing in the ninjam client for linux?
And what about jack ?

Flo
Flo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 05:59 AM   #4
torbenh

hi

i have the jack io working...
i have downloaded the wasabi client..
expect the transport sync along this week...
torbenh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 06:31 AM   #5
killerqueen

I'd like to see support for VST instruments. Specifrically, softsynths. So keyboard players can plug thier midi keyboard in, do thier sutff through the VST, and the output of the VST synth is what gets sent to everyone else. ATM, its impossible to use VST synths etc without having 2 computers.
Also, It would be nice to be able to change chat size. If you're playing something like drums, you might be too far away from the screen to read the chat easily.
killerqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 05:57 AM   #6
FingerSoup

re: VST.... Have you attempted Virtual Audio Cable? It's a commercial app, and the demo sucks, but you can route anything through it, pretty much...

http://spider.nrcde.ru/music/software/eng/vac.html
FingerSoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 12:24 PM   #7
killerqueen

^Very interesting, thanks for the link. Unfortunately, I don't seem to be able to get it to work with an acceptable degree of either quality or latency. In particular, I don't seem to be able to use it with my usual ASIO drivers. Might be able to get something useable out of it by using Bidule, but the demo expired just a day or two ago, and there's now no bidule demo. Bummer!
killerqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 12:35 PM   #8
neovalis

Default slight drift

This is working extremely well for me with outboard gear. But, I've noticed that the midi clock sync drifts very slowly over long period of time. I can correct for this as it drifts using the main control on the Sync-Shift MK-III (which allows me to adjust clock latency between my gear and my computer) but I only have about 20 minutes before I run out of travel in the control and must stop and resync. I've noticed that raising the process priority of wasabi_ninjam.exe to realtime seems to help a little. Any thoughts on this?

-Matt G
neovalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 07:15 PM   #9
ezee

Default gimme more detail

Quote:
I've noticed that raising the process priority of wasabi_ninjam.exe to realtime seems to help a little. Any thoughts on this?
It is related to time consumption , a cpu cycle taking x(time), the priority
define the latency of the application's timer refreshtime in a process ( like wasabi_ninjam.exe): With realtime sync with the cpu , the cpu clock and the app clock differs only by the time the information takes to be registered by tha application .
If priority is lowered , an other app will be refreshed before you , and if the counter is incremental in your app ( and not an expensive cost of time due to a function call ), the internal incremental timer will reflect the right time + the micro-sleep time due to the priority
rule

Quote:
Use HIGH_PRIORITY_CLASS with care. If a thread runs at the highest priority level for extended periods, other threads in the system will not get processor time. If several threads are set at high priority at the same time, the threads lose their effectiveness. The high-priority class should be reserved for threads that must respond to time-critical events.
mmm.. that could be hard coded in the code source :
Quote:
If your application performs one task that requires the high-priority class while the rest of its tasks are normal priority, use SetPriorityClass to raise the priority class of the application temporarily; then reduce it after the time-critical task has been completed. Another strategy is to create a high-priority process that has all of its threads blocked most of the time, awakening threads only when critical tasks are needed. The important point is that a high-priority thread should execute for a brief time, and only when it has time-critical work to perform.
src : https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...(v=vs.85).aspx

======

Quote:
2) Would it be possible to have midi synchronisation for the metronome so that people playing "live music" ( with instruments ) could jam with people using sequencers ?
That suppose that when u connect to the server , u receive a midi clock event:

Quote:
MIDI beat clock (also known as MIDI timing clock or simply MIDI clock) is a clock signal that is broadcast via MIDI to ensure that several MIDI-enabled devices such as a synthesizer or music sequencer stay in synchronization. It is not MIDI timecode.
So how to start a sequencer automatically from ninjam ?
I can imagine that when u log into a ninjam session , after you close the legal window , ninjam couls send a midi msg to a sequencer to make it ready to start at the next midi beat ?
Quote:
MIDI beat clock defines the following real time messages:

clock (decimal 248, hex 0xF8)
start (decimal 250, hex 0xFA)
continue (decimal 251, hex 0xFB)
stop (decimal 252, hex 0xFC)

Last edited by ezee; 10-15-2015 at 07:23 PM.
ezee is offline   Reply With Quote