Old 04-21-2017, 05:39 AM   #2921
lb0
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHollins View Post
Thanks lb0 ... now I understand the 'green/orange' relationship better.

As to polling for patch info ... ok, was curious about an idea that surfaced.

I might have a related idea to this to ask you down the road as I ponder a special feature/idea. Again, me not fully knowing the possibilities or the group needs [?} ... the gist of the idea might be based on a 'saved list', a TXT file, that could be accessed/used in LBX. These 'txt list' could hold user names [like patch names]. Just a sketchy idea at this point to talk about.

Still ... big Thanks for 'breaking the limits of LUA', with the MIDI PRGCHng technique. Not sure for others, but for NEBULA users, this is really great.

Now, when an EQ GUI is built, even if only a couple/few bands are actually used, we can assign the 'last' band in the use as the full 'saturated' preset, while all others are 'clean'. [this to maintain the original tone/harmonics of the hardware color. Of course, with Nebula, we can alter that based on sonic needs.

Additionally, we can now setup a first Input and last Output amps for the chain [consoleIN/consoleOUT].

We can also set a list of TAPE emulations, with realtime access from the LBX GUI.

fantastic
Well I was hoping there would be some xml file or something which lists all the programs for a N4 setup - but sadly - I only think there's one which lists the categories.

This does beg me the question though - once 'installed' do all libraries keep their program number? If you install a new library - does it get assigned a new unused bank/program number - or do they ever get shuffled around?

I'd definitely hope once installed - a library keeps it's number - otherwise this will cause major problems with using the program change midi to select a bank. I'm guessing/hoping it does though - as otherwise projects that utilize a program change will get messed up through use.

Just wondering though. It would have been nice for all the program assignments to be stored in an XML file though. Does N4 generate the list of programs on the fly then when loading? If so - how does it ensure programs do not get shuffled about?? (maybe they're stored in a binary file somewhere)...
lb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 07:12 AM   #2922
lb0

Well that sucks - I tried to add some of my Neb3 library to N4 to see what happens with program numbers.

Added the datapaths - and now ALL my libraries including the default N4 library has gone from N4. The finder is empty.

Deleted the datapaths - still empty.

There are still some serious bugs floating around in Nebula :/

EDIT: Reinstall of latest Nebula got the libraries back. Tried the clear cache option first but that didn't do anything.

Anyway - put back the new libraries - this time ensuring AUT files also placed in Repos. All working now.

Also - despite all my mishaps - it appears at first glance that the program numbes are the same Anyone (RJ) know if this is across different systems as well? I only ask because I have N4 on my laptop - with only MMeQ installed for testing (no dafault lib) - and they start at 200.

On my studio desktop machine - The MMeQ numbers are completely different with some of the default Nebula libraries residing at 200. So my guesses are that these numbers are unique to each system. This is a shame for us if we want to share any strips utilising the program change feature as extra setting up will be required.

Last edited by lb0; 04-21-2017 at 07:40 AM.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:11 AM   #2923
RJHollins

Hi lb0.

Don't know what happened when you switched libraries ... There is a definite way to migrate from Neb-3 to N-4. It is not difficult ... but also not intuitive.

I can definitely help you with that !

As to Program #.

1. I think everyone's install will be different, as PRG# are assigned as libraries are installed [TTBOMK].

2. For my NVC controllers, I used NebSetUPs to make custom NEB's with a specific library. From there, I was parsing the SetUPs XML file [located in X:\nebulatemprepository]. I was able to get the patch NAME and NUMBER. This corresponded to the MIDI PRGCHNG data.

N-4 does not yet have this feature [believe me the requests are in].

There is a possible source of Preset Names & Numbers.

In N-4 C:\Nebula4TempRepository\Setups folder, there is a file called:
~scanboot.xml It is really just a TXT file [special formatted].

I've just looked into it, and YES, it contains all the installed Presets AND their patch #. Some possibilities there.

I would imagine that when N-4 gets a similar ability to do NebSetUPS, there will be a similar XML file generated for that specific instance.

will post back later ....
RJHollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 09:55 AM   #2924
lb0

Quote:
Hi lb0.

Don't know what happened when you switched libraries ... There is a definite way to migrate from Neb-3 to N-4. It is not difficult ... but also not intuitive.

I can definitely help you with that !

As to Program #.

1. I think everyone's install will be different, as PRG# are assigned as libraries are installed [TTBOMK].

2. For my NVC controllers, I used NebSetUPs to make custom NEB's with a specific library. From there, I was parsing the SetUPs XML file [located in X:\nebulatemprepository]. I was able to get the patch NAME and NUMBER. This corresponded to the MIDI PRGCHNG data.

N-4 does not yet have this feature [believe me the requests are in].

There is a possible source of Preset Names & Numbers.

In N-4 C:\Nebula4TempRepository\Setups folder, there is a file called:
~scanboot.xml It is really just a TXT file [special formatted].

I've just looked into it, and YES, it contains all the installed Presets AND their patch #. Some possibilities there.

I would imagine that when N-4 gets a similar ability to do NebSetUPS, there will be a similar XML file generated for that specific instance.

will post back later ....
You know what - I looked at every file in the repos - and ignored that one completely as it was a ~ file - must be overtired or something...

Will be looking into...

Analysed the file a bit - it gives you the program number (offset by 200) - but the name it provides is the somewhat cryptic (in many cases) filename - which is not of any particular use really for identifying what it is:

eg.

ALEXB_MMQ_44_B1B

well it's alexb MMeQ @ 44.1 but other than that - no idea what frequency range it is without consulting the finder within N4.

And the program/vector files look like encrypted/binary files - so cannot grab the actual name from there.

So it seems whatever list we create will have to be manually made...

Of course a cross reference table could be manually created - so filenames translated into library names (which could then be shared).

It's possible to allow Stripper to perhaps create a table from the values you enter via the RCM control - which then cross references the ~scanboot.xml file to link the filename. But it's a bit of work and not sure ultimately how much gain would be got unless everyone used it and shared it to get a complete table.

Needs more thought - I have a few ideas.

Last edited by lb0; 04-21-2017 at 10:59 AM.
Old 04-21-2017, 12:00 PM   #2925
RJHollins

Hi lb0.

The XML file only contains the named Presets and PRG# just as you've identified.

There does not exist any specifics as to what the Preset is or contains.

I can say, that the XML list that SetUPs generated was much shorter ... but still contained the same type of info.

Within NVC, I did create separate 'tables'.

THEN ... as things evolved, I went to a different design. Basically [and a possible HOPE], I redesigned NVC in a RACK layout. It contained up to 16 SLOTS [16 MIDI CH's]. Any type of band could then be assigned a slot.

I had broken from the restriction of creating a GUI that mirror'd the actual hardware, to a design that allowed the engineer to pick and choose as needed.
I still restricted to a specific EQ library because the GUI's needed to coordinate properly. Reaper has some special API calls, and my design was straight VST for any DAW. [side note: Reaper has replaced all but WaveLAB, which is used for specific task only].

As always, very interested in your take on this new feature you've just added. I've started to implement into a test EQ design.

Last nite I confirmed that entering 0,0 into the LSB and Patch# will put N-4 into INIT state [very nice]. Then sending a PrgChng activates the band. This might prove useful when, AFTER a GUI is designed, the STRIP is saved with N-4's in INIT state. Then a band can be selected/activated as needed. [might be just a minor thing ... but still useful].

Question about the current User List we make for RCM. Might the ability to re-order the list be possible?

Again ... this feature is so new, as I think ahead ... we can definitely take some 'ponder time' to consider the possibilities this brings.

Please don't let my ideas/question aggravate ... this is an amazing tool you've created. My interests are so specific to NEBULA ... others may not be interested in that ... but they have created some amazing interfaces ! blows me away!

until later ... THX

[oh ... if you need any N-4 help, You are most welcomed to EMAIL me. I would be glad to possible help]. RJ
Old 04-21-2017, 12:54 PM   #2926
lb0

Quote:
Hi lb0.

The XML file only contains the named Presets and PRG# just as you've identified.

There does not exist any specifics as to what the Preset is or contains.

I can say, that the XML list that SetUPs generated was much shorter ... but still contained the same type of info.

Within NVC, I did create separate 'tables'.

THEN ... as things evolved, I went to a different design. Basically [and a possible HOPE], I redesigned NVC in a RACK layout. It contained up to 16 SLOTS [16 MIDI CH's]. Any type of band could then be assigned a slot.

I had broken from the restriction of creating a GUI that mirror'd the actual hardware, to a design that allowed the engineer to pick and choose as needed.
I still restricted to a specific EQ library because the GUI's needed to coordinate properly. Reaper has some special API calls, and my design was straight VST for any DAW. [side note: Reaper has replaced all but WaveLAB, which is used for specific task only].

As always, very interested in your take on this new feature you've just added. I've started to implement into a test EQ design.

Last nite I confirmed that entering 0,0 into the LSB and Patch# will put N-4 into INIT state [very nice]. Then sending a PrgChng activates the band. This might prove useful when, AFTER a GUI is designed, the STRIP is saved with N-4's in INIT state. Then a band can be selected/activated as needed. [might be just a minor thing ... but still useful].

Question about the current User List we make for RCM. Might the ability to re-order the list be possible?

Again ... this feature is so new, as I think ahead ... we can definitely take some 'ponder time' to consider the possibilities this brings.

Please don't let my ideas/question aggravate ... this is an amazing tool you've created. My interests are so specific to NEBULA ... others may not be interested in that ... but they have created some amazing interfaces ! blows me away!

until later ... THX

[oh ... if you need any N-4 help, You are most welcomed to EMAIL me. I would be glad to possible help]. RJ
Don't worry - I'm completely open to ideas, requests and questions - as I want to make Stripper as versatile as possible, and useful to everyone who tries it - including Nebula users - as I am one of them - and also I believe a lot of Neb users have given the script a run. It won't be for everyone - but am blown away by the response it has received from all parts of the music world!!

My computer science degree wasn't wasted at least

My initial thoughts for the script were as a mixing tool and to benefit that workflow. As amazingly talented people have shown me - it's become a little more than that too which is great and I'm happy to expand in any ways possible as long as they aren't detrimental to the core uses that I know people are now using it for. So I am very careful with each new feature I add that it doesn't break old projects, strips etc - or affect performance. Of course bugs happen with new code - but those I tend to fix when I hear about them. There just aren't enough hours in the day to test everything as thoroughly as maybe I should alongside my 8:30 - 5 job, and family commitments.

Of course I can add moving the program changes around in the list - just want to work out the best way to do this. Maybe a dedicated editor for the program change list - what I've done so far is add the functionality quickly to see if it works (I had little idea before I started messing with RCM) - so I plan to make it better and more complete in the future.

Thanks also for the offer of help with Nebula. I've been using it for around 4-5 years or so now - but still feel I've only scratched the surface. To be honest - I'd do better learning better mixing skills, than learning all the ins and outs of Nebula. Just listening to some of the tunes on the Acustica songs forum tells me I've still a long way to go with that. I'll certainly let you know if I get stuck with Nebula specifics though - it's a very powerful beast that requires some taming and patience sometimes!! Fortunately - my computer skills are usually enough to get it working again when I break it without resorting to the ticket support system I'm far too impatient for that!
Old 04-21-2017, 01:03 PM   #2927
RJHollins

As I've played with the new PrgCHng feature ... I've now come face to face with that 'missing and duplicate' listing in the PRESET list.

But NOW I've also identified the possible culprit [or at least, one of its' indicators].

If we look at the KERNEL page of N-4, the KERNEL ends up stuck at CLEAN. If we scroll the KERNEL to MAX ... we get all the available kernel settings. We can also flip back and forth between HQ and Clean presets correctly.

I've just posted this finding in the N-4 beta-test thread ... will wait for response. This must get fixed.

lb0 ... maybe you might email me a list of some of your Nebula EQ libraries. I have a few GUI's made ... but they are not to the point of public sharing [something this new feature needs added], but it might be something of interest ... up to you
Old 04-21-2017, 02:01 PM   #2928
lb0

Quote:
As I've played with the new PrgCHng feature ... I've now come face to face with that 'missing and duplicate' listing in the PRESET list.

But NOW I've also identified the possible culprit [or at least, one of its' indicators].

If we look at the KERNEL page of N-4, the KERNEL ends up stuck at CLEAN. If we scroll the KERNEL to MAX ... we get all the available kernel settings. We can also flip back and forth between HQ and Clean presets correctly.

I've just posted this finding in the N-4 beta-test thread ... will wait for response. This must get fixed.

lb0 ... maybe you might email me a list of some of your Nebula EQ libraries. I have a few GUI's made ... but they are not to the point of public sharing [something this new feature needs added], but it might be something of interest ... up to you
Yeah - I noticed the Kernel bug still there too when I downloaded the latest version earlier.

I've emailed you my list of Neb libs - hopeful some might match what you've created
Old 04-21-2017, 03:08 PM   #2929
RJHollins

Got it

I'm going to test the PrgChg further tonite with a full blown EQ strip.

2. I also will test my 1st EXPORT Strip feature.

fingers crossed
Old 04-21-2017, 05:00 PM   #2930
RJHollins

email sent.
Old 04-22-2017, 02:28 AM   #2931
lb0

Quote:
email sent.
Let me first of all say - that looks absolutely stunning!!

I've only tried importing it onto my dev laptop - so haven't been able to test it as this laptop doesn't have MfQ - but it looks awesome.

Can't wait to try it properly on my studio system later

Thanks so much!
Old 04-22-2017, 07:29 AM   #2932
RJHollins

Where is the 'blush' icon ...

Thanks lb0.

--- EDIT ---

UPDATE sent ... not sure what happened :|

Last edited by RJHollins; 04-22-2017 at 08:45 AM.
Old 04-22-2017, 05:21 PM   #2933
lb0

Quote:
Where is the 'blush' icon ...

Thanks lb0.

--- EDIT ---

UPDATE sent ... not sure what happened :|
Been playing with it a little while now. Simply brilliant!

Didn't take me long to get it all up and running - a few minutes to change the program change numbers - that's all.

I've just released an update - Now there are additional options when adding programs to the RCM control - especially for Nebula. instead of asking for msb/lsb/prog change values - it simply asks for a Program ID - which is the nebula prog id number (it then works out the msb/lsb/prog change numbers from that. Much quicker

Also - on playing a little with your eq - I noticed that when you switched from HQ to LE - the parameter values do not match.

I thought it might be neat to give you the option (your call) to retain the values when switching. So this is where the Refresh plugin bit comes in useful.

Set refresh Delay to just long enough for the library to load (around 2/3 secs for me) - you can actually go a little shorter - as nebula seems to allow setting the parameters before the library is fully loaded.

Then set refresh Plugin to the appropriate Neb instance.

Then select the Retain Values option.

Now when you switch between HQ and LE versions - it will set the values to be the same as they were before you swapped.

Obviously if you set to INIT - then it won't be able to retain any values - and switching back from INIT - it doesn't recall the previous settings, like it would otherwise (doing program change normally remembers each programs settings when you switch back - whatever they were - but this new feature will prevent that by trying to recall the INIT settings if switching from INIT)... Might try to think of a way to prevent this - but probably won't be pretty Depends how much of an issue it is.

So it's something else to consider - not perfect - but might be useful.
Old 04-22-2017, 07:34 PM   #2934
RJHollins

It is absolutely going to be useful !!!

It is the concept I also used in NVC ... the ability to switch out HQ and Clean Presets, all the while maintaining the user control settings. [fantastic ... and thankfully not yet another request from those of us feeling a 'pile-on'.
I know you've said otherwise ... just respect.

OK ... let me checkout the new version .........

OH ... glad the STRIP working out. As mention, it is a work in progress. Updates will be coming [especially working in the new features]. Thx
Old 04-22-2017, 07:51 PM   #2935
RJHollins

fast report back ... things work good ! Nice to have the Nebula special settings AND the standard mode to cover everything.

I'll be testing the Delay and Refresh soon.

Just to mention ... no word yet on the HQ/Clean switching bug in Nebula.

A temp work around: After switching from [ex] Clean->HQ, open the plugin and go to the KERNEL page. The 2nd slider/knob will alter the current setting ... pull it down to show MAX.

Now ... all the Presets original Kernels are active.

It seems switching that instance can now happen freely and correctly .. it's only the first time making the change.

later ...
Old 04-23-2017, 03:22 AM   #2936
lb0

Glad you may find the new features useful.

Actually - I'm working on another Neb specific update that will help with sharing files.

When you use the Neb specific Add/Edit commands for the RCM - if you have assigned the location of the ~scanboot file - it will save the filenames and numbers to memory - and store this when you enter the value.

Then - when sharing a strip to another machine - this will be able to go through all the settings to find the matching neb program file names - and automatically assign the new program numbers. So no manual editing of each RCM switch required

In your case - to get this setup for your already created strips you would just have to Edit each RCM setting and hit save (assuming you will have assigned the ~scanboot file in settings).

Update hopefully later today (depending on time I get to work on it).
Old 04-23-2017, 10:27 AM   #2937
lb0

Quote:
fast report back ... things work good ! Nice to have the Nebula special settings AND the standard mode to cover everything.

I'll be testing the Delay and Refresh soon.

Just to mention ... no word yet on the HQ/Clean switching bug in Nebula.

A temp work around: After switching from [ex] Clean->HQ, open the plugin and go to the KERNEL page. The 2nd slider/knob will alter the current setting ... pull it down to show MAX.

Now ... all the Presets original Kernels are active.

It seems switching that instance can now happen freely and correctly .. it's only the first time making the change.

later ...
Hi RJ,

I've released the scanboot update.

Please when you have time would you be able to edit your MFeQ strip for me so I can test it works ok.

What you'll need to do - is go into settings and point the scanboot option to your scanboot file.

Then - for each RCM in your strip - simply edit each program ID and hit ok straight away (no need to change any values). You must use the Nebula EDIT option not the general one.

Then resave the strip - create another sharestrip and send to me.

Then I will import this back into my system and see if all the correct RCM program ID's can be updated automatically on my system. Saving having to edit each one manually.

If this works (which it should) - it makes sharing of your strips much much easier for anyone wishing to use them.

No hurry - when you have a spare ten minutes or so.

Thanks again,
Old 04-23-2017, 11:04 AM   #2938
RJHollins

OK ... I hope I did this correctly.

I went into each RMC in EDIT mode.

Nebula EDIT each patch in the list [3 of them]. All values were correct, just hit OK.

SAVED the STRIP

EXPORT new STRIP.

Question: What does the 'Update all Program ID's [Nebula] do?

Is this used after IMPORTING a 3rd party design, to then correlate to our Neb database ?

Sending updated MFeQ STRIP.

---EDIT ----

STRIP sent.

Last edited by RJHollins; 04-23-2017 at 11:11 AM.
Old 04-23-2017, 11:39 AM   #2939
lb0

Quote:
OK ... I hope I did this correctly.

I went into each RMC in EDIT mode.

Nebula EDIT each patch in the list [3 of them]. All values were correct, just hit OK.

SAVED the STRIP

EXPORT new STRIP.

Question: What does the 'Update all Program ID's [Nebula] do?

Is this used after IMPORTING a 3rd party design, to then correlate to our Neb database ?

Sending updated MFeQ STRIP.

---EDIT ----

STRIP sent.
Thank you so much for doing this. It worked a TREAT!!!!

Literally - all I needed to do was import your sharestrip - go into FX EDIT mode - right-click the RCM and choose 'Update all Program ID's [Nebula]'. Then ALL the RCM programs linked to the correct programs in my N4.

So now I know it works - I will make it do this also when importing a sharestrip file. It will only affect Nebula RCMs as these are set up with the Nebula Add/Edit options.

Absolutely perfect and will mean ZERO extra work when importing a Neb strip that uses RCMs.

You are absolutely right - the Update Prog IDs menu option will look for RCM data that has the nebula filename saved in it (this is done invisibly - as long as you use the Add/Edit Nebula options, and have scanboot setup (which you only do once)). Then it just compares to the current machine's scanboot data and updats the program ID's.

I don't know whether it will work for Nebula default library - depends if that is included in scanboot - not analysed that deep yet - but if it is - then all Neb libs are covered. (At least until Setups is released for N4 - then a whole lot more work required to make it work with that probably!!)

Thanks for doing this so I could test it out.

So you will need to do the same for all existing strips if you wish to share them - but all new strips will be set up properly as long as you use the Nebula add/edit options and not the generic ones. The scanboot is read each time Stripper is opened - so will always be up to date (should never take more than a second unless you have an absolute crazy number of libraries).

Old 04-23-2017, 12:00 PM   #2940
RJHollins

Excellent ! How we so love automatic translations

Was waiting on this report before I continued updates to my other N-4 STRIPS.

note: I expect MFeQ.strip will have additional updates. Will keep you posted for sure

If there is any MFeQ.strip suggestions ... let me know. I'm still learning the tools and designing at same time.

So cool Thanks!

rjh
Old 04-23-2017, 12:30 PM   #2941
lb0

Quote:
Excellent ! How we so love automatic translations

Was waiting on this report before I continued updates to my other N-4 STRIPS.

note: I expect MFeQ.strip will have additional updates. Will keep you posted for sure

If there is any MFeQ.strip suggestions ... let me know. I'm still learning the tools and designing at same time.

So cool Thanks!

rjh
Update away!!

The only suggestion I can think of for your strip is maybe an Open GUI button for each band - In case some maintenance work needs to be done which can only happen within N4.

Obviously - with my testing- I frequently need to open the gui to check things. At the moment I've just right-clicked on the gain control and chosen Open FX Window option each time - but a simple (small) button would be neater.

Other than that - so far great!!

I'm still getting my head around the A B comparisons - I have used TBPro's A/B JS before - but now it's across many bands - I'm trying to work it all out as it seems more complex.

I don't quite get what clicking on the gain indicator value does. It sometimes sets gain temporarily to -15 other times to +15 - eek - that can be painful.

Also - the volume drops and rises can be offputting. Maybe a macro button control to disable all A's and B's might be a nice feature - particularly when printing a mix - as I guess yo don't want them on during rendering?
Old 04-23-2017, 03:56 PM   #2942
RJHollins

Ahhh ... the A/B plugs.

There are 2 per/insert [bookends].

Once you see how they work, they may be invaluable.

Here's how I've implemented.

1. Each A/B set is labeled as a pair. There is one exception ... the very first and last are the MASTERs. They are used when you want to BYPASS the entire chain [also to monitor final level].

2. Bookending each N-4 is a #A, and #B [the pair]. There is not much doing with #A other than BYPASSING. That is the A button above each band.

3. The #B plug is where the action happens. The B button on the STRIP controls the soft BYPASS of B. It's still online, but this BYPASS skips the signal around the N-4 plug [thus A/B].

4. Also on the STRIP is the 'momentary' - R button. This is tied to the RESET action on the plugin. It resets any GAIN Change and begins monitoring for a new level again.

NOTE: There is an IMPORTANT setting on each #B plugin called SYNC PDC. I think I set them for my system, but it is something that should be done [one time] for new user.

a. With the DAW stopped, CLICK on SYNC PDC. It will take a moment, and then display the latency correction. This insures proper GAIN Difference calculation.

Check this for each N-4 instance. The MASTER A/B will need to calculate the entire chain.

Once this is done, it should not need to change, and it does stay set in the DAW [and the STRIP]. Should a N-4 insert be taken OFFLINE ... this WILL affect the overall PDC ... so need to re-cal.

Really simple ... and done.

5 Working with it from the STRIP.

As the track plays, and EQ'ing is adjusted, notice the YELLOW Numeric display. It should the OUTPUT LEVEL correction that A/B calculates and adjusts.

Because we don't really want these 'automatic gain' adjustment ALWAYS happening ... we have the SLIDER to the left of the 'R'.

This SLIDER is connected to N-4 Main OUTPUT.

Adjusting the SLIDER to match the A/B gain correction is as simple as matching values. If A/B shows a +2.5 ... set the SLIDER to +2.5.

The change is not automatic, but will slowly adjust over time [or hit the R button to RESET A/B].

The key is that, based on what the EQ band is doing ... cutting or boostin. A/B monitors the output level change +/- due to the EQ. We can then change N-4 OUTPUT directly to achieve UNITY GAIN.

Once all EQ'ing is done ... with each N-4 output adjusted for UNITY ... I always hard bypass all the A/B modules before RENDERING.

It may a bit to get use to ... but it is well documented the importance of maintaining gain structure AND evaluating changes at the same volume level.

Note 2: You notice that I do NOT use the PREFILTER option.

PREFILTER is great when doing A/B comparisons when listening. True. However, in a FX CHAIN, the next module is watching absolute levels [not apparent loudness]. That is why I don't use it to balance chains.

That it really. Hope I didn't make it overly complicated ... cause really it's not.

I've used this method for a long time, so its become rather automatic. Yes it does have its quirks. RESETTING [R] can result in different values. However, its suggested to start a track at the same place and then the levels will be consistent.

note 3. This is about the 'best of' A/B I've found [and there are several out there] to do Gain Structuring. I have had several ideas of a way that could work better, but my limited programming skills cannot test the theorem.

If any question I can help on, let me know [email too].

oh ... the OPEN GUI option. Yeah ... I saw that new feature, I've been so use to Rt-Clicking to OPEN plug. One hold back ... I can't think of a button LABEL design that would be small and intuitive. My last thought was something that looked like a book page folding open ... or maybe a hand gesture proclaiming openness :| yeah ... not lots of sleep lately.

I know the GANG has supplied plenty of buttons and graphics ... just wish we also had the KNOB files so that customization in KnobMan was possible. [I'm still learning that app].

RJH

oowww before I forget ...

You clicked on the yellow number. hmmm. I know that its' assigned as a BUTTON ... but really, it should only be a DISPLAYED value. What from LBX should I use just to display a value parameter ??
Old 04-24-2017, 12:17 AM   #2943
lb0

Quote:
oowww before I forget ...

You clicked on the yellow number. hmmm. I know that its' assigned as a BUTTON ... but really, it should only be a DISPLAYED value. What from LBX should I use just to display a value parameter ??
Thanks for all the info. I think what was confusing me a bit was that in your v2 strip that I was testing mainly - all the A's were active - causing changes in volume.

I think in v5 - they were all disabled by default - which is I guess how they should be.

To prevent the numeric readout from doing anything when clicked - set it to the Meter option. For standard plugin FX parameters - the Meter control type should not do anything (although for other control types it does have a function in some cases).

Thanks again - will definitely make good use of this.
Old 04-24-2017, 08:53 AM   #2944
RJHollins

Yeah ... the A/B addition to the GUI is something I had trouble thinking through [at least logically]. I used A/B so much in the Reaper FX chain, but transposing it to LBX was confusing me. [like, should the GUI button be lite or dark].

I want to get certain things [like A/B] into a 'standard' form and look for each GUI design. The other condition is still working out the size of all the elements [knobs, etc]. Some of these NEBULA libraries are split into more presets than what a usual GUI would display ... meaning more rows of knobs...

Another example is the AlexB MMeQ. I'm not happy with the current design I have. For one, it has 3 Low Shelfs, and 3 Hi Shelfs ... then all the additional peak bands. The current GUI is rather large, and I'm not liking the workflow with it ...

I'm now wondering if the very latest 'refresh' feature you've added, might hold a solution, whereby a single GUI section could handle different PRESETS [related, but different], and via PrgCHNG, the user could chose amongst the different Shelfs ?

Got to keep thinking about this, as the MMeQ is such an important Mastering tool.

Anyway ... these are all 'early' designs that I hope to improve where I can. I did switch out the 'readout' display to a METER late last nite. That should be a lot better.

thx
Old 04-24-2017, 09:01 AM   #2945
lb0

Quote:
Yeah ... the A/B addition to the GUI is something I had trouble thinking through [at least logically]. I used A/B so much in the Reaper FX chain, but transposing it to LBX was confusing me. [like, should the GUI button be lite or dark].

I want to get certain things [like A/B] into a 'standard' form and look for each GUI design. The other condition is still working out the size of all the elements [knobs, etc]. Some of these NEBULA libraries are split into more presets than what a usual GUI would display ... meaning more rows of knobs...

Another example is the AlexB MMeQ. I'm not happy with the current design I have. For one, it has 3 Low Shelfs, and 3 Hi Shelfs ... then all the additional peak bands. The current GUI is rather large, and I'm not liking the workflow with it ...

I'm now wondering if the very latest 'refresh' feature you've added, might hold a solution, whereby a single GUI section could handle different PRESETS [related, but different], and via PrgCHNG, the user could chose amongst the different Shelfs ?

Got to keep thinking about this, as the MMeQ is such an important Mastering tool.

Anyway ... these are all 'early' designs that I hope to improve where I can. I did switch out the 'readout' display to a METER late last nite. That should be a lot better.

thx
Ok - just a note on this though route though - Gauges will not update if the frequency range changes.

I'd have to work out a way to automatically update a gauge if the values change...

When you create your Gauges - do you do much fiddling with the values / number ticks etc - or do you just keep the default values say 7 or 9 ticks comes up with?
Old 04-24-2017, 11:43 AM   #2946
RJHollins

hmmm GAUGES. I'm not certain I have a set strategy yet. :|

I find myself fluctuating based on the EQ assignment.

To keep neatness, I've cut back FREQ display to the 7 - 13 [for EQ's that have continuous values].

If an EQ, like the API 5500 [AlexB A5M], I look to display each available FREQ in a STEPPED fashion.

Items like GAIN, I try to use +-2 or +-3 display spread.

Q is another. I display the critical markers that identify OCTAVE [0.7, 1, 1.4, 2.8, 4.3] generally.

Don't mean to sound noncommittal ... as its exactly these types of display decision that I wrestle with.

Bottom line [for me] ... the GUAGES should outline the general scale of available choices. If it is an exact STEPPED EQ, I want to display all the STEP choices [freq].

hope some of this is helpful ... I'll be thinking about it

and I appreciate the importance of considering this possibility

thx
Old 04-24-2017, 12:04 PM   #2947
RJHollins

Remembering ...

It is this type of 'multi-function/choice' that took me down that slippery-slope to the RACK design. [the evolution] :|

The AITB MAMMOTH eq was the beast that started it.

The concept was so nice, that I started redesigning all EQ's in that format.

Basically ... using the 500 series Rack mount layout. The Rack consisted of [up to] 16 slots [1/midi ch].

Since in production, one never quite knows what would be needed ... each slot could be assigned as needed. If it turned out I needed 3 shelves, and 4 bands [some that shared the same Preset, but different Freq value] ... it became the flexible model as needed.

I was just getting to the logic of being able to rearrange the 'band modules' to allow reorganizing the GUI display order ... [left in prototype status].

Of course, there is no end to it. Rather than restrict to a single EQ model ... the pondering began ... how to access ANY EQ band from any model library. Basically designing the best [user preference] EQ, calling on the strengths of each to draw from [all saved as a user preset].

ahhh ... To Dream
Old 04-24-2017, 12:54 PM   #2948
lb0

Quote:
Remembering ...

It is this type of 'multi-function/choice' that took me down that slippery-slope to the RACK design. [the evolution] :|

The AITB MAMMOTH eq was the beast that started it.

The concept was so nice, that I started redesigning all EQ's in that format.

Basically ... using the 500 series Rack mount layout. The Rack consisted of [up to] 16 slots [1/midi ch].

Since in production, one never quite knows what would be needed ... each slot could be assigned as needed. If it turned out I needed 3 shelves, and 4 bands [some that shared the same Preset, but different Freq value] ... it became the flexible model as needed.

I was just getting to the logic of being able to rearrange the 'band modules' to allow reorganizing the GUI display order ... [left in prototype status].

Of course, there is no end to it. Rather than restrict to a single EQ model ... the pondering began ... how to access ANY EQ band from any model library. Basically designing the best [user preference] EQ, calling on the strengths of each to draw from [all saved as a user preset].

ahhh ... To Dream
Ok - then I need to work out a way of maybe matching a gauge setup to a parameter to a program id...

Might take me a little while to consider the best way to go about this - but I have thought about this requirement before and can see the benefit.

Give me a little time.
Old 04-24-2017, 02:51 PM   #2949
timbralzoom

reading nerdy Nebula stuff carefully & without understanding even a bit!
and creating a secret weapon (don't say to Vincent)
3954 cotrols
about 800 000 lines...works like a magic so far..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfQ6...ature=youtu.be
timbralzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 03:43 PM   #2950
RJHollins

again ... some amazing stuff TimbralZoom.

to lb0 ... I don't what magic you weave ... whatever the timeframe
Old 04-24-2017, 03:56 PM   #2951
lb0

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbralzoom View Post
reading nerdy Nebula stuff carefully & without understanding even a bit!
and creating a secret weapon (don't say to Vincent)
3954 cotrols
about 800 000 lines...works like a magic so far..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfQ6...ature=youtu.be
Looks and sounds great!!
Old 04-24-2017, 04:06 PM   #2952
timbralzoom

Quote:
again ... some amazing stuff TimbralZoom.

to lb0 ... I don't what magic you weave ... whatever the timeframe
Quote:
Originally Posted by lb0 View Post
Looks and sounds great!!
ok i got my weekly attention..
now you can go back to your agenda

joking apart, thanks!
timbralzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 04:25 PM   #2953
dasombre

Quote:
good one hahaaa

Just wanted to quickly say WOOOW and big thank you Ib0 for the recent nebula related features (and RJ for testing and ideas)...did not get around to testdrive it yet (I was a week away visiting family) but will try out soon and really look forward to it.

just throwing this into the room
(I think it might be a smaller one and useful for various layouts and uses)...
- a little "track name (monitor thingy)": it just displays the track name and also changes according to the track name.

(I'm thinking of building a manual "global page" with copied controls from other tracks for console-switching in one window via snapshots or macros, and would want to have "dynamic" track names of multiple tracks in it, so I can save this as a template and use for all kinds of projects without manually changing all the "track-name-fields" again after changing a track name).

But just an idea, and something to think about when there is time.
Keep it rocking
dasombre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 06:20 PM   #2954
RJHollins

Quote:

joking apart, thanks!
Funny

I'll share ... I was never much on Electronic Music [is this EDM] ... but I must say, I've found your music [even as you switch through different things] enjoyable.

Still ... I'm blown away how you fly around the screen making changes. [and your GUI design and layout ... impressive ! ]

You post ... we'll watch/listen.

... and thanks for putting up with us Neb-nerds. I can see how it can impact on so many levels ... but what lb0 has created for those from Nebula is phenomenal.
Old 04-26-2017, 12:19 AM   #2955
dasombre

tested the latest version last night and really love the RCM-program-change-thing. So cool to directly switch to certain programs in nebula. Really really great stuff (Can we re-arrange the program list somehow already?)

I don't understand the retain,refresh options fully yet but hopefully will soon.
Also, do I need to define a scanboot location if I am using only my own Nebula Library? Or is this only meant to be used if I import strips from other users?

Another strange thing I encountered yesterday, but was also in the latest version (I tried the previous too):
--> When the script window is open and you open another project, you lose all the data from the opened project and you are left with the script data of the current project. When script window is closed, reloading a saved project with it's script data works normal. I think this is very un-intuitive, and not sure if this is made on purpose or maybe an oversight.
But I remember having lost script data once, and I thought that the data was not saved, but looking back now, I think I overwrote the data by opening a previous project (in order to go back a bit) while the script window was open.

Easy to reproduce:
Make a project, drag in some controls. Save Project. Add further controls or delete some of them. Save as new version in same project folder. Leave script window open and now open the previous project: Result: you still have the controls of the newer one and the script-data from the previously saved project is lost and you can't bring it back (at least I couldn't).

If this is intentional, I will work around this by making a macro for opening projects which will first stop all scripts and then open the project.
As I like to have the stripper window open almost all the time and don't want to take care about this when I open projects

Damn, again a long post

EDIT: another bonus usage-idea:
One can easily use the stripper as Toolbar on steroids...imagine as much toolbars as you have tracks. Like: a huge page with nice pictures of Synths buttons assigned to actions and when you click them stuff happens that you configured. Already possible and yet another huge area where LBX improves usage of reaper.
One track could hold only certain editing actions, another one could to other stuff (Track templates, FX-chains). Just insane possibilities there again. Will see what I come up with in the day to day use. But good to know, that there are basically no more limits to toolbars and how they look
Old 04-26-2017, 01:01 AM   #2956
lb0

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasombre View Post
tested the latest version last night and really love the RCM-program-change-thing. So cool to directly switch to certain programs in nebula. Really really great stuff (Can we re-arrange the program list somehow already?)

I don't understand the retain,refresh options fully yet but hopefully will soon.
Also, do I need to define a scanboot location if I am using only my own Nebula Library? Or is this only meant to be used if I import strips from other users?

Another strange thing I encountered yesterday, but was also in the latest version (I tried the previous too):
--> When the script window is open and you open another project, you lose all the data from the opened project and you are left with the script data of the current project. When script window is closed, reloading a saved project with it's script data works normal. I think this is very un-intuitive, and not sure if this is made on purpose or maybe an oversight.
But I remember having lost script data once, and I thought that the data was not saved, but looking back now, I think I overwrote the data by opening a previous project (in order to go back a bit) while the script window was open.

Easy to reproduce:
Make a project, drag in some controls. Save Project. Add further controls or delete some of them. Save as new version in same project folder. Leave script window open and now open the previous project: Result: you still have the controls of the newer one and the script-data from the previously saved project is lost and you can't bring it back (at least I couldn't).

If this is intentional, I will work around this by making a macro for opening projects which will first stop all scripts and then open the project.
As I like to have the stripper window open almost all the time and don't want to take care about this when I open projects

Damn, again a long post

EDIT: another bonus usage-idea:
One can easily use the stripper as Toolbar on steroids...imagine as much toolbars as you have tracks. Like: a huge page with nice pictures of Synths buttons assigned to actions and when you click them stuff happens that you configured. Already possible and yet another huge area where LBX improves usage of reaper.
One track could hold only certain editing actions, another one could to other stuff (Track templates, FX-chains). Just insane possibilities there again. Will see what I come up with in the day to day use. But good to know, that there are basically no more limits to toolbars and how they look
Hi Dasombre,

Thanks for report - that's not intended behaviour - so will look into when I have some time. You might be able to get the old data back though as you can manually load the old save file into the script using the option on the ... main menu. But yes - not intuitive. I need to revisit saving again - but it is a delicate balance to prevent data loss...

Regarding scanboot - if you ever intend to use the sharestrip import/export to use other peoples strips that use RCM's and Nebula, or to share your own - then you should set up the scanboot setting. This will enable the code to automatically align all RCM program changes to your own and other peoples set ups. Without it - all RCM program changes would need manually editing before the shared strip will work on a new system (can take a while and is a pain to do if lots of Prog changes)

The only real downside is that the script will take up to an extra second to start (as it reads in the scanboot data).

EDIT: Could I just ask - do you use the extra LBX Stripper Save and LBX Stripper Save As New Version lua scripts - tied to keyboard/toolbar shortcuts? So I know how to test properly.

Last edited by lb0; 04-26-2017 at 01:22 AM.
Old 04-26-2017, 01:33 AM   #2957
dasombre

Quote:
Hi Dasombre,

Thanks for report - that's not intended behaviour - so will look into when I have some time. You might be able to get the old data back though as you can manually load the old save file into the script using the option on the ... main menu. But yes - not intuitive. I need to revisit saving again - but it is a delicate balance to prevent data loss...
thank you for the info.
I tried reloading the previous script data, but the problem is that it got saved over with the newer data. You can see this in the script header after opening a project while script window is open: "saved in 0.25 sec".

The problem to me seems, that when the script window is open and you open another project with script data, the script saves over the newly opened script data and so you can not reload unless you have manual backup enabled and load that.
From my simple point of view: Saving script should not happen after opening a project with script data, but that is what happens now. So I guess nothing will break if that is disabled at least in my noob-programmer-head
Basically, saving should only happen when any kind of "save" is performed not on any "load" or "open".

Thanks for the info regarding the Nebula-RCM. So this "one second" more to load is only happening on channels with those RCM+scanboot data or on the whole script when this is enabled?

Another little req. for later sometime regarding RCM: could this maybe be snapped somehow? I guess not, just like macros. Also when copying a RCM-button to another track it stops working (on the oher track where it is pasted), unlike other controls which can be copied around and still be used. But maybe that is just the nature of this special control.

Because I was looking for a way to change "consoles" (Nebula console programs) via snapshots on all tracks at the same time. I would have copied all RCM-buttons to one track and than would have made snapshots of different RCMs and could change complete consoles with just one click...of course I can do this with the normal program-change but this requires more controls and is less elegant. So not urgent but very useful.

Thanks again for the info
Old 04-26-2017, 01:37 AM   #2958
dasombre

Quote:
EDIT: Could I just ask - do you use the extra LBX Stripper Save and LBX Stripper Save As New Version lua scripts - tied to keyboard/toolbar shortcuts? So I know how to test properly.
yes, I'm using the "Save as New Version.lua" (tied to Ctrl-Alt-S). Actually that's the reason how I found out about this "bug" yesterday. I installed the save-script and tried it out and came across this.

Saving works good
Old 04-26-2017, 01:40 AM   #2959
lb0

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasombre View Post
thank you for the info.
I tried reloading the previous script data, but the problem is that it got saved over with the newer data. You can see this in the script header after opening a project while script window is open: "saved in 0.25 sec".

The problem to me seems, that when the script window is open and you open another project with script data, the script saves over the newly opened script data and so you can not reload unless you have manual backup enabled and load that.
From my simple point of view: Saving script should not happen after opening a project with script data, but that is what happens now. So I guess nothing will break if that is disabled at least in my noob-programmer-head
Basically, saving should only happen when any kind of "save" is performed not on any "load" or "open".

Thanks for the info regarding the Nebula-RCM. So this "one second" more to load is only happening on channels with those RCM+scanboot data or on the whole script when this is enabled?

Another little req. for later sometime regarding RCM: could this maybe be snapped somehow? I guess not, just like macros. Also when copying a RCM-button to another track it stops working (on the oher track where it is pasted), unlike other controls which can be copied around and still be used. But maybe that is just the nature of this special control.

Because I was looking for a way to change "consoles" (Nebula console programs) via snapshots on all tracks at the same time. I would have copied all RCM-buttons to one track and than would have made snapshots of different RCMs and could change complete consoles with just one click...of course I can do this with the normal program-change but this requires more controls and is less elegant. So not urgent but very useful.

Thanks again for the info
Quick reply - got work to do :/

Copying RCM to another track won't work until you reassign a ReaControlMidi VST from the new track to it. It requires the link to the VST to work.

Or are you saying you still want it to affect the original track and this doesn't work - prob. not something I've tested.

The scanboot is only read when the script is first opened.

And the saving data is really very complex - because Reaper doesn't provide any nice notifications that these things are actually taking place - so I've tried to make it as robust as possible - but it's obviously still not quite right - so will look into...
Old 04-26-2017, 01:51 AM   #2960
dasombre

Quote:
Or are you saying you still want it to affect the original track and this doesn't work - prob. not something I've tested.
exactly, I want it to affect the original ReaControl-MIDI-VST, not a new one.

Quote:
and the saving data is really very complex - because Reaper doesn't provide any nice notifications that these things are actually taking place - so I've tried to make it as robust as possible - but it's obviously still not quite right - so will look into...
I understand. Saving seems robust to me
It's the instant-saving directly after loading a project that makes problems I guess.

Thank you for the info regarding scanboot.
And please no hurry, just wanted to report