Old 06-12-2021, 01:58 PM   #201
maxdembo
Human being with feelings

Never underestimate the amount of skill needed for a good triangle performance tho
maxdembo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 12:09 PM   #202
zeekat

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxdembo View Post
I tried a few times, but the people I knew were people who suffered similar musical problems to me, and on top of that, werent communicators or down with regular arrangements. Kinda made things impossible, so I've always gone back to working on my own, and doing it all myself. Slow progress.
Good I never tried then. I was always amazed how bands are able to successfully operate really. That's where the romance around the bands came from I guess - not from the fame or results, but the fact they're the mythical Successful Group Project.
Old 06-13-2021, 05:33 PM   #203
foxAsteria

Last band I was in I wrote most of the music and even invented a notation system so they could all learn the parts. All I asked is that they practice on their own each week and be on time to practice. Still got accused of "lead guitarist/diva syndrome" when nobody did anything but show up hours late.

I like playing with others (it's a whole new world) but maybe I like things to sound like they do in my head just a little more. Still looking to join some bands, but prolly won't write songs for em unless it's a totally equal contribution type of thing with plenty of freedom.

In other news, I got put back on 6 days a week cos it's farming season so, new goal:

I will make an intro video on how to use Maschine Mikro mk1, cos I gave it to my sister and apparently there's no good videos on that. Will upload to YouTube, even. First time for that, so the bar is pretty low. Can do. By end of the month.
Old 06-14-2021, 02:08 PM   #204
maxdembo

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
Last band I was in I wrote most of the music and even invented a notation system so they could all learn the parts. All I asked is that they practice on their own each week and be on time to practice. Still got accused of "lead guitarist/diva syndrome" when nobody did anything but show up hours late.

I like playing with others (it's a whole new world) but maybe I like things to sound like they do in my head just a little more. Still looking to join some bands, but prolly won't write songs for em unless it's a totally equal contribution type of thing with plenty of freedom.

In other news, I got put back on 6 days a week cos it's farming season so, new goal:

I will make an intro video on how to use Maschine Mikro mk1, cos I gave it to my sister and apparently there's no good videos on that. Will upload to YouTube, even. First time for that, so the bar is pretty low. Can do. By end of the month.

That sounds fun, and maybe promising it to a family member will add the right kind of pressure to make sure something gets done?

I missed my Sunday deadline again. Rearranging for next Sunday. It'll happen one of these days. It is inevitable.
Old 06-19-2021, 07:48 AM   #205
maxdembo

I'm on track for a Sunday deadline new demo upload at least.

I think I've made improvements, but we'll see. I was crossing things off the to do list at a rate of knots last night! (I crossed off three things ).
Old 06-22-2021, 03:12 AM   #206
maxdembo

Two days late. Gonna upload a demo later today tho.

Whatever state its in.
Old 07-03-2021, 10:54 AM   #207
maxdembo

Default Very late with my upload

And its still in demo form, but oh my, its getting there

https://soundcloud.com/ear/getbaxt6
Old 07-03-2021, 11:37 PM   #208
foxAsteria

I failed. Turns out I don't have any motivation after 6 day weeks. Although I do still intend to make the video... Dude what is this sound that sounds like you're torturing a virtual cartoon mouse in the middle of the track?

Last edited by foxAsteria; 07-03-2021 at 11:54 PM.
foxAsteria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 03:50 AM   #209
maxdembo

Quote:
Dude what is this sound that sounds like you're torturing a virtual cartoon mouse in the middle of the track?
Is that a genuine question or more of a "I didnt dig that bit" statement?

I forget what the starting point for that sound was - whatever it was it got stretched, mangled, tortured, bitten, chewed, fucked, spat out. Had loads of effects piled on it then rendered out. Lots of dblue glitch, and some other glitchy effects.
Old 07-04-2021, 06:32 AM   #210
maxdembo

Motivation is overrated There is only settings tiny goals, and then setting dates, then failing and setting dates again

When the next date for a demo, foxy baby?
Old 07-05-2021, 04:08 PM   #211
maxdembo

By next Sunday, the 11th of July, I want one more thing crossed off my to do list for this Les Baxter remix I just posted.

Each thing on the list is a baby step towards completion, so thats my next goal.
Old 07-05-2021, 04:35 PM   #212
foxAsteria

Quote:
Is that a genuine question or more of a "I didnt dig that bit" statement?
Ha well it definitely caught my attention but was pretty unnerving tbh. Gave a good contrast to the track, just went a bit too long for me. I was genuinely curious what it was tho.

Yea I remember Glitch from ages ago. Have you tried Sai'ke's SEQS plugin. I haven't yet but all his stuff is amazing.
Old 07-05-2021, 06:02 PM   #213
maxdembo

Quote:
Ha well it definitely caught my attention but was pretty unnerving tbh. Gave a good contrast to the track, just went a bit too long for me. I was genuinely curious what it was tho.

Yea I remember Glitch from ages ago. Have you tried Sai'ke's SEQS plugin. I haven't yet but all his stuff is amazing.
Plugins, no never heard of em but I shall look into it, nice one.

It was about 10 plugins piled on top of each other. I like playing with glitching and time stretching plus letting autotune try to make sense of it, and letting them all fight it out and rendering it into something Tbh, its part of the track I havent really got to resolving yet, is the most incomplete section, in terms of what I can hear in my head that it should be doing. A bit like trying to create a guitar solo from listening to loads of 'in tune' 'random' guitar feedback Interesting you thought it was too long as I removed a bar of it before doing that render, so its shorter than it used to be! It def benefitted from making shorter I'll def listen again with that in mind to see what I think, a fresh perspective is always good to either confirm a liking or realise "Oh shit, yeah, it is too long" or whatever. You may be on to something and it'll mean less work

It was going to have a guitar solo going along with it at the same time, but considering my already ridiculous levels of procrastination, I ditched that idea

The other glitch app I used a bunch is Tantra. Some glitching, synced panning, delay, just really pile it up and see what autotune makes of it.

Tbh, Im not even sure what the original sound was? My main suspicion would be that it was just one of the loops/samples from the original album I took loops from as the starting points for the track.

EDIT: Tho also, this statement "Ha well it definitely caught my attention but was pretty unnerving tbh." makes me want to keep it That was pretty cool to read

Last edited by maxdembo; 07-05-2021 at 06:09 PM.
Old 07-05-2021, 06:14 PM   #214
foxAsteria

Quote:
Plugins, no never heard of em but I shall look into it, nice one.
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=220277&page=3

I recommend Filther even tho it's a beast and Stereo Bub is a wonderful, mono-friendly widener. If you use ReaPack they might already be installed.

Last edited by foxAsteria; 07-05-2021 at 07:24 PM.
foxAsteria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 06:18 PM   #215
maxdembo

Quote:
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=220277&page=3

I recommend Filther even tho it's a beast and Stereo Bub is a wonderful, mono-friendly widener. If you use ReaPack they might already be installed.
Ooh, awesome, yes I do have ReaPack already, I shall give em a look. Thanks!
Old 07-07-2021, 09:28 AM   #216
maxdembo

Guess I'm going to have to sign up to this Patreon.

EDIT: Signed up. The podcast is two hours of procrastination psychology discussion, really looking forward to this. I've been watching Dr Honda on YouTube for a year or two now, and he's great. Very informative, even handed, and a real pleasant listen.

Last edited by maxdembo; 07-07-2021 at 09:58 AM.
Old 07-28-2021, 12:59 PM   #217
zeekat

In idle moments I noodled out a bunch of guitar shapes that appear cool at the moment. Can't wait to try to make something out of them and discover they're in an entirely wrong genre.

but nothing's recorded yet, there's a chance I'll forget everything soon.
Old 07-28-2021, 04:37 PM   #218
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeekat View Post
Can't wait to try to make something out of them and discover they're in an entirely wrong genre.
Welcome back, Zeekat! Genre crossover is the easiest way to stumble upon something awesome, I find. Of course it can just as easily suck demon dicks. But that's what we're working with so yea, record it!
Old 07-29-2021, 02:45 AM   #219
zeekat

Thought I'd bump the thread a bit.

I blame instruments in too good working order (yay for fret levelings) and unlimited access to great tones. It's just too easy to sit for an hour with an illusion you're doing something cool, until the real attempt at putting it to "tape"(lol) and discovering it's something you'd never listen to.

Or maybe I have this particular state of mind just now.
Old 08-04-2021, 12:45 AM   #220
maxdembo

Bought this. Instant fascinating noise maker...

Last edited by maxdembo; 08-04-2021 at 12:54 AM.
Old 08-15-2021, 09:48 PM   #221
foxAsteria

Well, I went to the darkside...

I'm still procrastinating every big project I've mentioned lately, but I've been doing a whole lot of recording my ideas again instead of just improvising and tweaking my setup. With other people even.

What did it for me? Lol, Ableton Live. Turns out some of these people actually know what they're doing when they integrate controllers with a DAW (Novation).

And it turns out that controllers working intuitively out of the box is really conducive to songwriting.

I've been trying to achieve this workflow in Reaper for so long and only ever getting *almost there,* it feels so good for things to just *work.*

Ultimately it will end up in Reaper for final arranging/editing/mixing or course, but for sketching up ideas and recording good tidbits without disturbing a jam (or playing them back in time if I want), Ableton clips workflow is just too hard to beat; especially with the launchpad to give visual feedback for the clip slots and launch scenes.

Best part is I'm getting by with a free copy of Ableton Lite. Who needs more than 8 tracks to get a song going?
Old 08-16-2021, 08:45 AM   #222
maxdembo

Whatever gets the job done, and/or brings joy, is good

Similar reasons I went hardware, I wanted to be able to do something live and quicker than my usual and bypassing some procrastination, and for the most part that meant getting totally away from Reaper.

Everything still ends up there in the end, but its largely been about minimising its 'shuffling bits of data around' tedium that has become too much of my process.

Good on ya

Have you looked at Bitwig? That was always on my radar to delve more into, similar cheaper version with limited tracks. Made by ex Ableton bods, works on Linux, loads of modular stuff and probability based working. Its a yearly subscription model for purchase tho and I just dont like that concept at all.

My next step is attempting to do as little as possible to maximum effect Also known as 'quality improv peformance'. Yikes!

EDIT: Oh yea, a Launchpad too, nice. I keep looking at similar devices but wanting a standalone sampler really with similar way of working to a Launchpad type device. Something like a standalone Machine, or MPC Live II... but they're all expensive and do loads of other stuff I dont want. They're either really undercooked with sampler focus or bogged down with their PC connected to software. A Digitakt is maybe the closest in terms of usage, but something like that in an Akai Force housing?

Norns Shield plus a Launchpad might be where its at for me

Last edited by maxdembo; 08-16-2021 at 08:50 AM.
Old 08-16-2021, 04:09 PM   #223
foxAsteria

Yea I demoed Bitwig but Ableton was an easier transition just because everyone I work with tends to be using it. And no, I'm not down with software subscriptions either.

It's just way too similar to Live for me to appreciate its differences. Reaper has everything I need, but I was just missing the non-linear sequencing and the plug and play controller situation of Livewas such a breath of fresh air after years of trying to cobble together a similar setup in Reaper.
Old 08-17-2021, 03:57 AM   #224
maxdembo

Quote:
Yea I demoed Bitwig but Ableton was an easier transition just because everyone I work with tends to be using it. And no, I'm not down with software subscriptions either.

It's just way too similar to Live for me to appreciate its differences. Reaper has everything I need, but I was just missing the non-linear sequencing and the plug and play controller situation of Livewas such a breath of fresh air after years of trying to cobble together a similar setup in Reaper.
Bitwig has me intrigued for Linux native, and the modular stuff, but I already have enough stuff I dont use enough and Win 11 is currently winning out over Linux

Yeah man, whatever works, thats great its bringing fun of making stuff back into it instead of making set ups Its awesome when everything just works.
Old 08-23-2021, 07:41 AM   #225
zeekat

Ok down with the downtime. I managed to start something off my idle noodles(took a while to stop deleting). Tentative title "Relentless Knitting", ambitious plan to have some sketch version on sunday (29.08). Planned to be more mellow coz the last thing was kinda loud. Priming all my crunch amps models and mellotron samples.

Last edited by zeekat; 08-23-2021 at 09:59 AM. Reason: I can't calendar
zeekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 11:28 AM   #226
maxdembo

Quote:
Ok down with the downtime. I managed to start something off my idle noodles(took a while to stop deleting). Tentative title "Relentless Knitting", ambitious plan to have some sketch version on sunday (29.08). Planned to be more mellow coz the last thing was kinda loud. Priming all my crunch amps models and mellotron samples.
Yes! I look forward to hearing the demo and/or final track, as always.
Old 08-30-2021, 12:44 PM   #227
zeekat

Sketch complete a bit late, I had to add a couple of things today. Three more weeks tops and I should have everything retracked and a video. This time I'm wiser and noted the chords (just charted as tabs, not clever enough to know the names) coz I inevitably forget some of them when composing the rest(figuring it by ear later sucks). My shit is simple and I'm still managing to forget, definitely not a musician material here.
Old 08-31-2021, 05:24 PM   #228
Studiodawg

Sorry. I've been procrastinating looking at this thread.
Studiodawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 11:18 AM   #229
zeekat

I'll be editing another video as well, coincidentally a mail about the new version of Vegas Movie Studio just dropped into the mailbox. But turns out (after a quick google search) new Vegas Movie Studio is not Vegas at all, Magix just threw some completely different video editor of theirs in and changed its name and logo to VMS, coz Vegas team silently stopped updating their Movie Studio line. The product had a bit of identity crisis since Magix took them over, but renaming some random other editor as a new version of a known one is just too weird. It's like Reaper 6.40 installing a Cubase or something.

(I'm setting the deadline for retracking everything to final versions and gathering the video material for tuesday 7.09. Let's speedrun this sucker)
Old 09-03-2021, 11:42 AM   #230
maxdembo

Quote:
I'll be editing another video as well, coincidentally a mail about the new version of Vegas Movie Studio just dropped into the mailbox. But turns out (after a quick google search) new Vegas Movie Studio is not Vegas at all, Magix just threw some completely different video editor of theirs in and changed its name and logo to VMS, coz Vegas team silently stopped updating their Movie Studio line. The product had a bit of identity crisis since Magix took them over, but renaming some random other editor as a new version of a known one is just too weird. It's like Reaper 6.40 installing a Cubase or something.

(I'm setting the deadline for retracking everything to final versions and gathering the video material for tuesday 7.09. Let's speedrun this sucker)
Thats a bit screwy. The opposite of what happened to Acid Pro under Sony. Vegas kept being updated but Acid silently got forgotten about. Switching out Vegas for some other software entirely is a bit bizarre but kinda makes sense I guess as Magix seem to own approx 285 different video editors atm

I wonder if they'll collapse them all into one product?

In other news along these lines, previous owner of BFD until just recently, and hardware 'pad' based manufacturer Roli have gone bust.

I wonder if we're about to see a bunch of these products and companies change dramatically due to the economics of a pandemic etc.
Old 09-03-2021, 11:57 AM   #231
zeekat

It's a historically volatile market I think. If you look closer many classic synth brands like Arp or PPG existed surprisingly briefly(Roli had a longer run that those).

Actually even original Moog faceplanted rather early and Moog of today is a modern reboot. LifeProTip: don't do cutting edge shit
Old 09-03-2021, 12:06 PM   #232
maxdembo

Quote:
It's a historically volatile market I think. If you look closer many classic synth brands like Arp or PPG existed surprisingly briefly(Roli had a longer run that those).

Actually even original Moog faceplanted rather early and Moog of today is a modern reboot. LifeProTip: don't do cutting edge shit
Volatile market, plus volatile times equals shit going tits up!

Roli never seemed to have a clue what they were doing with their portfolio tbh, and now they've doubled down and are relaunching just based on the hardware they've developed.

Fuck knows where BFD would be now if Roli still had them. In limbo I guess.
Old 09-06-2021, 12:41 PM   #233
zeekat

On track. This thread lacks obnoxiously large screenshots so here's one. Vids also shot, good last ever version of Vegas studio has proxy rendering or I'd kill my computer with 60fps clips off my "new" camera.

Old 09-06-2021, 02:10 PM   #234
maxdembo

Quote:
On track. This thread lacks obnoxiously large screenshots so here's one. Vids also shot, good last ever version of Vegas studio has proxy rendering or I'd kill my computer with 60fps clips off my "new" camera.

SO.
MUCH.
GREY.

Its like, how much more grey could this be, and the answer none, none more grey

Good work, Sir! You're king of the procrastination thread! The Grey King
Old 09-06-2021, 02:17 PM   #235
zeekat

This is my beloved GrayMatter_dark theme. It's not only gray, it's also dark!
Old 09-06-2021, 03:54 PM   #236
maxdembo

Quote:
This is my beloved GrayMatter_dark theme. It's not only gray, it's also dark!
Did a little search and came up with this...

Old 09-08-2021, 12:07 PM   #237
maxdembo

@zeekat, your new song is already on youtube?!

Damn, that was quick!
Old 09-08-2021, 12:16 PM   #238
zeekat

Yeah, wanted to have it out before I ruin my enthusiasm with ten more revised renderings

Old 09-09-2021, 01:03 PM   #239
ivansc

Nice one!
Old 09-14-2021, 02:39 AM   #240
Malfunction

Quote:
So, fuck, I just noticed that it's been a whole year since I posted anything on SoundCloud.

Will fix that by end of month. Might even shoot for a brand new track. Seems I'm writing less the more gear I acquire...go figure.

Time to use this thread for business.
Its the 5th time i post a remix of the same song on soundcloud.
The first upload got 8 fake likes, 4 fake comments.
The last one only one heart.

Any tips on how to increase the amount of fake likes and bot activity on my soundcloud page?

Last edited by Malfunction; 09-14-2021 at 03:02 AM.
Malfunction is offline   Reply With Quote