Old 07-31-2019, 12:43 PM   #1
JeffreyET
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper crashes with 7 projects

First off - not an issue I can't live with, I have been for years.
With 6 medium-sized projects open, its all unicorns and rainbows. I open a seventh, and I get "Visual C Runtime Error" and a big VST (usually TT Easy Drummer 1) goes offline. Anyone found a tweak or reason?
Old 07-31-2019, 02:16 PM   #2
zeekat

I think EZ drummer likes to load ton of stuff to memory, you sure you aren't running out of RAM?
Old 07-31-2019, 02:27 PM   #3
JeffreyET

Hmm good thought. I only have 8 gB installed, W10 64bit. EZD showing around 1 mB per project, maybe with all the system files & other VST's its adding up to the limit.
Old 07-31-2019, 09:44 PM   #4
mschnell

7 Reaper instances at the same time or 7 project tabs in one Reaper session ?

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 02:55 AM   #5
JeffreyET

7 project tabs/single REAPER instance.

Edit to above: EZD loading 930 mB per project (That rounds to 1 gB, not 1 mB). So now its easy to see the 8 gB ceiling getting hit. Time to expand RAM.

I thought all projects would access the same EZD program instance, but apparently not...

Last edited by JeffreyET; 08-01-2019 at 03:20 AM.
JeffreyET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 08:17 AM   #6
JeffreyET

Update.
I doubled my RAM from 8 to 16 gB, restarted, reset the battery (yeah, nothing worked until I stuck a little pin in the hole after an hour of screwing around), and verified that my system has recognized it.
But, The same problem persists.
Old 08-09-2019, 01:59 AM   #7
ivansc

Just a thought, but have you run resplendence.com`s latency checker recently? I do it on my system any time I get a glitch (almost never in Reaper) & it might point you in the right direction, since it does a pretty good ram test on the same page.
Old 08-09-2019, 05:55 AM   #8
Dex

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyET View Post
7 project tabs/single REAPER instance.

Edit to above: EZD loading 930 mB per project (That rounds to 1 gB, not 1 mB). So now its easy to see the 8 gB ceiling getting hit. Time to expand RAM.

I thought all projects would access the same EZD program instance, but apparently not...
Nope, in fact even if you have two EZD instances loaded in the *same* project, they’ll each eat up 1 gb of ram. There’s no sharing of memory between instances of toontrack instruments and also no streaming from disk for them.
Dex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 02:48 PM   #9
JeffreyET

Ivansc - I ran the latency mon & have green bars & good report. I don't see a RAM test, except one tab that reports 16122 mB (or thereabouts) capacity.
Since the error notice is "visual c runtime" and "reaper32", and I have 64bit W10, I installed the latest REAPER version. Same issue. But, I did notice projects load faster FWIW, and I can load 7 now but crashes at 8th project load.
Old 08-18-2019, 03:07 PM   #10
hopi

well hells bells... either get a lot more ram or don't load so many tabs at the same time or maybe offline EZ in some of them?
Old 08-19-2019, 03:27 AM   #11
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyET View Post
Ivansc - I ran the latency mon & have green bars & good report. I don't see a RAM test, except one tab that reports 16122 mB (or thereabouts) capacity.
Since the error notice is "visual c runtime" and "reaper32", and I have 64bit W10, I installed the latest REAPER version. Same issue. But, I did notice projects load faster FWIW, and I can load 7 now but crashes at 8th project load.
You arent actually using Reaper32 instead of Reaper64 are you? Might be worth a try unlessyou are using a ton of 32bit plugins.
Old 08-19-2019, 05:54 AM   #12
JeffreyET

Yes, it's been 64 for 2 years but just to be sure.
Doubled RAM from 8 to 16 and gained only one more open project capacity. They are all similar in kind and size. Something ain't right.

Thanks for all your input, u rock.
Old 08-19-2019, 01:16 PM   #13
ivansc

One last gasp from me: Have you tried installing a fresh reaper install and clicking on the Portable Install button in the installer? This installs a new factorey clean reaper in a separate folder on your C:\ drive and leaves your existing install as-is, so you can play about with the protable install to try and narrow down your problem. Generally, if something got screwed up in your existing reaper.ini file, it wont be screwed up in the portable. If indeed you can load more than seven projects in the portable, ypi will at least know where things are going wrong. No tmuch help, but at least you will know more than you do now.

Feel for ya!
Old 08-19-2019, 02:18 PM   #14
JeffreyET

Thanks for all the attention Ivan, I will try that. This has been only a minor annoyance but I'm approaching the point where I like having lots of projects open to make sure all the settings are consistent when I improve one.

I suppose I will make sure my config file is up-to-date and saved on a flash drive, and if the portable install is good, I can wipe out my current install, install new, and import the config file. Is there any risk to project files if I do that?

Last edited by JeffreyET; 08-19-2019 at 02:25 PM.
Old 08-19-2019, 02:51 PM   #15
karbomusic

What does task manager show Reaper using memory wise? That said, if it were actually memory allocations failing due to lack of, then you'd either get a specific warning from Reaper or Reaper just goes poof. Could this be a multi-instance problem with ED? Or can your reproduce with big VSTs other than ED?
Old 08-20-2019, 06:09 AM   #16
JeffreyET

Another good suggestion, thanks Karbo.
Old 08-20-2019, 06:18 AM   #17
karbomusic

I'm also wondering (as a test) what would happen if you run each EZD instance in it's own bridged process.
Old 08-20-2019, 07:24 AM   #18
Justin
Administrator

This could be a FLS issue — have you tried it in 5.982? It may give you some more detailed warning messages when loading the project...
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 04:44 AM   #19
JeffreyET

I did some simple experimenting with a single average sized project:

Project with 1 EZD track: Opened 6, memory=approx. 45% used, crash at 7th opened
Project with EZD track deleted: Opened 36, memory= approx. 55% used, no crash
Project with 3x duplicate EZD tracks: Opened 3, memory= approx. 45% used, crash at 4th opened
Project with 2x duplicate EZD tracks: Opened 5, memory= approx. 45% used, crash at 6th opened

I was looking for a hard limit to the total number of EZD VST instances open, but it appears to be more subtle than that. Total EZD instances =6 with one per project, but around 10 if 2 or 3 per project.
Approximate memory usage shown in the small Windows resource monitor graph. It remained below half throughout the loads with EZD, and exceeded half without any EZD loads.

Oh yeah, Justin, first thing I did (upthread) is download v5.982
BTW it is EZD 1 Metal Machine, not EZD 2 if that makes a difference.

Last edited by JeffreyET; 08-21-2019 at 04:52 AM.