Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 08-11-2019, 08:42 AM   #1
DANIELE
Human being with feelings

Default Midi CC lanes play cursor move on left click

Hi all,

I'm with Reaper 5.981. I noticed that if I left click on midi CC lanes in midi editor play cursor move to that position. It is pretty annoying, I don't want the cursor to move when I left clik in a midi CC lane, even when I select a midi CC event or a velocity event.

Lastly I didn't use Reaper much so I don't remember if it has the same behavior in previous versions but I remember I worked smoothly without this behavior.

There's no mouse modifier for left click in midi cc lanes so what could I do to stop play cursor from going to mouse position every single time I do a left click in a midi cc lane?

Thank you?
Old 08-11-2019, 10:34 AM   #2
xpander

That behavior was changed for the v5.979. CC lane left click behavior follows now what is set in Piano roll mouse modifiers for the left click.
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 12:08 AM   #3
DANIELE

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpander View Post
That behavior was changed for the v5.979. CC lane left click behavior follows now what is set in Piano roll mouse modifiers for the left click.

Mmmh, well but in the piano roll I set note insert for left click, there's no edit cursor movement when I do it.

So why it behaves like this?
Old 08-12-2019, 06:26 AM   #4
xpander

You're right, it seems not all combinations of actions work. I noticed several where no move actions in piano roll would still move the cursor in CC lane. This would require a closer look...
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 10:29 AM   #5
DANIELE

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpander View Post
You're right, it seems not all combinations of actions work. I noticed several where no move actions in piano roll would still move the cursor in CC lane. This would require a closer look...

Ok great, so I should tell it to devs, I'll link it in pre-release.
Old 08-12-2019, 10:40 AM   #6
schwa
Administrator

The current logic is that if the piano roll mouse modifiers are set up so an unmodified click deselects events, then an unmodified click in a cc lane will also deselect events, and will follow the piano roll mouse modifier preference to move the edit cursor.

If the piano roll mouse modifiers are set up so an unmodified click in the piano roll does something else (like insert a note), an unmodified click in a cc lane will move the edit cursor. The alternative (without adding more mouse modifiers) would be to have that click do nothing at all, which does not seem more likely to be the desired behavior.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 01:11 PM   #7
DANIELE

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
The current logic is that if the piano roll mouse modifiers are set up so an unmodified click deselects events, then an unmodified click in a cc lane will also deselect events, and will follow the piano roll mouse modifier preference to move the edit cursor.

If the piano roll mouse modifiers are set up so an unmodified click in the piano roll does something else (like insert a note), an unmodified click in a cc lane will move the edit cursor. The alternative (without adding more mouse modifiers) would be to have that click do nothing at all, which does not seem more likely to be the desired behavior.

Thank you Schwa. I'm in the second case but I don't understand why is configured like this, shouldn't be better to have a dedicated mouse modifier for this?

Are you telling me that there's no way to change this behavior?

If you pretty much record all the time you could use double click to insert notes but if you use a lot midi editor to manually input notes then you have to use single left click unless you want to smash your mouse.

EDIT

I used to click in the velocity lane empty spots to deselect everything, now the edit cursor follow the mouse. Could you please think to an option for this?

Last edited by DANIELE; 08-12-2019 at 02:26 PM.
DANIELE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 03:59 PM   #8
beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post

Is there no way to completely shutdown this behavior of the play cursor haphazardly following mouse clicks? Now it moves when left clicking a CC Segment, and I can't find anyway to turn it off.

The play position needs to stay put sensibly to maintain musical context. It's like reading a sentence from the beginning of the sentence, or from the beginning of the paragraph. Who would edit a word, and only read that word? It's driving me crazy!
beyond is offline   Reply With Quote