Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 01-07-2018, 03:00 PM   #1
asintoras
Human being with feelings

Default How to use a MIDI foot controller to SOLO tracks?

Hello,

I am a guitar player and would like to use Reaper and my Tech21 MIDI Mouse to SOLO tracks, each loaded with different VST's (S-Gear for amp simulation, and a few other effects). Basically, I want Reaper and the footswitch to change which tracks I want to make active, by muting everything else, like a preset selector.

I have no clue about how to setup a MIDI controller in Reaper, so would love to have a step-by-step description of how to do it.

Sorry for my ignorance, and perhaps this has been posted before, but I was searching on Google and in this forum before posting, and could not find a solution for it.

Many thanks in advance! For anyone that will help me with a solution for this, I would like to send a copy of my original music in return, as a way to say THANKS! It's progressive rock instrumental (with bits of classical guitar) and a few songs as well, but you can search for Doctor7.bandcamp.com

Cheers,
asintoras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 03:39 PM   #2
foxAsteria
Human being with feelings

Use the User Guide to learn how to set up MIDI Devices. Once your MIDI device is set up properly (enable input, not output, control only), then simply open the actions list, search for 'toggle solo for selected track,' click Add and step on your footswitch.

Also, look into SWS Live Configs, which was designed for this purpose. If you simply solo your tracks, effect tails will get cut off when switching, which rarely sounds good.