Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 10-27-2017, 09:03 PM   #1
xpoes
Human being with feelings

Default GUI of midi instrument disappears

Hi,

In my projects, sometimes the GUI from the midi instruments, mysteriously disappears after some time working with the instrument. Never straight away, but after one week or after two two weeks... So far, I've seen it happen with Arturia instruments and (once) with Hybrid, not with other instruments. When I create a fresh project with any of these instruments, the GUI is always there, so that I can select the preset that I want and/or modify the settings of the instruments. Has this been reported before, and is there a way to get my GUI's back. OS, software and drivers are all up to date. I always have all my midi instruments docked.
For the Arturia instruments I have both the VSTi and the VST3i versions installed, and seem to pick either version randomly. Could that cause this behaviour?

Thanks,
Old 10-28-2017, 01:58 AM   #2
solger

How exactly does the disappearing plugin GUI look like: Is it just a black screen or something else?
And can you perhaps post a screenshot?

Have you already tried if doing a [Clear cache/re-scan] via Preferences > Plug-Ins > VST makes any difference?

Quote:
For the Arturia instruments I have both the VSTi and the VST3i versions installed, and seem to pick either version randomly. Could that cause this behaviour?
Not sure, but you could try to temporarily move one of the two VST files to a different location (so only one version is located in the plugin scan path) to check if this changes anything ...

Or if you are using the VST3i version, try using the VSTi version instead. Or the other way round ...

And maybe something to check in general, just in case:

Are you always using one plugin version (either VSTi or VST3i) for multiple instances of the same plugin in a project?
Or are you using both versions: like, for instance, Track 1 uses the VSTi version and Track 2 uses the VST3i version of the same plugin.

Last edited by solger; 10-28-2017 at 02:17 AM.
solger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 05:04 AM   #3
xpoes

Hi, thanks for responding :-)
Unfortunately, I will be away for the weekend, so I'll get back to you on Monday, there's no rush to solve this problem..
<blushmode>What's the easiest way of inserting a screenshot? There are always size and byte restrictions when I try to upload attachments, and I'd rather insert the screendumps in the post itself..</blushmode>
Old 10-28-2017, 08:32 AM   #4
solger

Quote:
<blushmode>What's the easiest way of inserting a screenshot? There are always size and byte restrictions when I try to upload attachments, and I'd rather insert the screendumps in the post itself..</blushmode>
Under Windows 10 probably by using the Snipping Tool: https://www.tekrevue.com/tip/windows...snipping-tool/

More info in post #1 and #2: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=140670
Old 10-28-2017, 09:28 AM   #5
Tod

There also "Lightshot", it works very well. I don't have the link but you can google it.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 08:44 PM   #6
xpoes

Quote:
Have you already tried if doing a [Clear cache/re-scan] via Preferences > Plug-Ins > VST makes any difference?
I've done that, no luck.

Quote:
Not sure, but you could try to temporarily move one of the two VST files to a different location (so only one version is located in the plugin scan path) to check if this changes anything ...

Or if you are using the VST3i version, try using the VSTi version instead. Or the other way round ...

And maybe something to check in general, just in case:

Are you always using one plugin version (either VSTi or VST3i) for multiple instances of the same plugin in a project?
Or are you using both versions: like, for instance, Track 1 uses the VSTi version and Track 2 uses the VST3i version of the same plugin.
The Arturia plugins I have installed, are all 64bits. They do come in 2 flavours, the VSTi and VST3i ones. I have mannually deleted one of them, no luck. And then I did it the other way around, again, unsuccessful. Then I de-installed and re-installed one of the instruments, again.. :-(

Here are two screenshots from one project, there are only 2 instruments in there, both from Arturia. One is ok, the other isn't..

Thanks for your patience :-)
Old 10-30-2017, 02:20 AM   #7
solger

It's very strange that the problem is only with certain plugins - especially when using the same plugin format and the plugins are from the same manufacturer.

When you click on the [UI] button at the top right corner, does it at least show any sliders, faders, etc. then? Or does toggling the [UI] button make any difference?
You might also try to play around with running the problematic plugins as separate or dedicated process: http://reaperblog.net/2012/02/run-pl...cated-process/

Otherwise it's probably best to try contacting Arturia support about this directly ...

Last edited by solger; 10-30-2017 at 02:27 AM.
Old 10-30-2017, 02:58 AM   #8
xpoes

Yes, I thought that this is strange too :-)
If I click on the UI button, then indeed I can see the sliders, so, if necessary, I can still modify my sounds somewhat.

To me, it also looks like an Arturia problem, so I have contacted them today.
If something comes out of it, I'll post back.

In the meantime, I will try to apply what's suggested in the Reaper Blog article tomorrow.

Thanks,