Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 11-11-2017, 12:59 PM   #1
sonicowl
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper - Wait for MIDI output device

Reaper freezes horribly here occasionally, after losing connection to USB MIDI device. See images in links below.

https://1drv.ms/i/s!AtA-M3AOJ19whAucdUzziMQxNiiS
https://1drv.ms/i/s!AtA-M3AOJ19whAoFGzJ-Z9xX3ckt
https://1drv.ms/i/s!AtA-M3AOJ19whAnRiuS5Ty4AxpWb

Suddenly, one popup appears "Reaper - wait for MIDI output device". Then another, and another..... after some minutes there are houndreds of popups, and Reaper is completely locked. Disconnecting MIDI device does nothing, powering down device also does nothing, Reaper is caught in eternal loop. No way to stop this, no way to close Reaper. The only solution is to restart PC.

Please, implement some timeout. Or if it cannot connect, give option to manually skip device. Or at least make it possible to exit Reaper and start it back again. As it is now is not the optimal way to deal with lost connection from device.

Last edited by sonicowl; 11-11-2017 at 03:40 PM.
sonicowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 12:20 AM   #2
okarowarrior

Bump.
Happened to me.
Not the multiple windows, but still. Reaper freezes with that stupid window and with no option to dismiss the message other than closing the program and losing progress (cant even save)
okarowarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 10:08 AM   #3
Sound asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by okarowarrior View Post
Bump.
Happened to me.
Not the multiple windows, but still. Reaper freezes with that stupid window and with no option to dismiss the message other than closing the program and losing progress (cant even save)
This happened to me, and my progress I am losing was done with midi. It looks like once that box appeared, reaper stopped making backups also.

I couldn't get it to go away. Not really sure why it popped up to begin with tbh. I've used reaper a long time, and I've never seen that before.
Old 07-28-2018, 02:41 PM   #4
mred

Default The following MIDI output device is not responding

Hi All,
Firstly let me say that I love Reaper and think it absolutely fantastic but I am getting the same error since Windows 10 Creator update. It is driving me to distraction.
My MIDI/Audio device is an MOTU Traveler mk3 and is is connected via Firewire rather than USB.

It seems to happen when I click on something outside Reaper (not straight away) but when I then try to save the project or render the project.

Seems to be most frequent at some point after I press the Windows key.

Suspect it is some conflict between the OS and the Reaper application but I am not sure.
If anyone knows a fix then I would be most grateful.
Thanks
mred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 02:12 AM   #5
mred

Default The following MIDI output device is not responding -workaround

Once the dreaded "The following MIDI output device is not responding" message appears it locks me out of the main Reaper program window as all menu options are greyed out.

The consequence of this is that one cannot save one's work.

However I can work around it by right clicking on the Reaper icon in the task bar and opening another project. I have a default project template for this.
It opens as another project tab in the main Reaper program window but most importantly, the menus in the main Reaper window become available again.

Simply click on the project tab you were working on and save your work.

Then you can close Reaper and reopen your project again.
Once reopened midi works fine again.

Ideally I would like to be able to close the "The following MIDI output device is not responding" dialogue box but in the mean time this is working for me.

Hope this helps someone.
Old 08-04-2018, 07:23 AM   #6
Justin
Administrator

A couple of things:

For 5.941, you will be able to do some basic UI things such as save project while that window is open.

For 5.95 (this will require more testing) -- if a MIDI device hangs, it will be silently waited-for in background, and the device will be unavailable until the device starts responding, but everything else should work.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 07:09 PM   #7
mred

Default The following MIDI output device is not responding

Justin, thanks ever so much for putting a workaround in for this. I am very impressed that you provided a fix so quickly after I reported the issue.

I have just upgraded and have been recording all evening without a failure ironically.

Will see what happens when it does fail and will report back if I have any further issues.
I noticed that the application provides a dialogue box on initial opening now to ask about an unused USB midi device that I don't have connected any more.
After telling it to ignore that device I could load my project as normal and as I said it has not yet crashed. Even going to render the project has worked without the error happening.
I for one am exceedingly happy now :-)
Thanks again.

Last edited by mred; 08-04-2018 at 07:20 PM.