Old 06-08-2022, 09:49 AM   #1
ivor-honda
Human being with feelings

Default Trouble setting up a set list!

First of all, the story behind the question.
Around the year 2000 I was in a duo for 13 years using midi files for backing tracks around the Bristol / Swindon area of the U.K.
The singer played acoustic guitar, I tried not to sing and played the electric guitar and did all the guitar twiddle bits as well. (https://youtu.be/r8sa6wN9P0M not the best quality but at least you can get an idea of what we did if you are interested).
Now coming up to date, I was playing in a band and the drummer left and I suggested using backing tracks as we can get a fuller sound (and also nearly everyone else seems to be using them too).
I have now done about 40 backing tracks with drums, backing vocals, keyboards, additional guitars and some sound effects and they have all been rendered to (individual) songs. In Reaper each song is in its own named region with start and stop markers. All 40 songs have been placed onto one track with a small gap in-between each song.
I watched the VikingGuitar video (https://youtu.be/TxV09NRtbKY but we don’t use any video only audio) and thought that’s the way I would like to go as I could use Amplitube 5 for my guitar tone and I can set up Reaper to select the appropriate guitar tone and put markers in for guitar solo’s etc.
Also ‘The Reaper Blog’ has set up a playlist called ‘REAPER for Live Sound’ which I have looked at as well (and thank you for it) where I have picked up some hints there too.
Now the problem I have got is that on average we do 2 sets, roughly 12 songs per set but the set normally changes from venue to venue.
So as I mentioned we have a catalogue of about 40 songs.
So does anyone have any idea of how I can quickly and easily set Reaper up so I am able to swop the songs around, I also need access to all the songs just in case there is an impromptu change in the running order.
Any advice would be much appreciated.
Regards
Colin
ivor-honda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 01:41 PM   #2
Regisfofo

Regions are handy to drag things around. You may try to put each song in its region. But maybe you already tried that ?
Regisfofo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 03:11 PM   #3
ivor-honda

Yes I did try that and it’s an option, also thank you for the suggestion.
I was wondering if it’s possible to make (or generate) a list of the songs and move the songs around within the list.
Old 06-08-2022, 10:27 PM   #4
mschnell

AFAIR there are community scripts for this. Hopefully in ReaPack.

(I remember something like "SongSwitcher")

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 02:12 AM   #5
ivor-honda

Thank you, i will chec it out.
Colin
Old 06-10-2022, 11:58 PM   #6
Regisfofo

Another option could be that :
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=238085

Did not tried it myself, but it may fit your needs...
Regisfofo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 02:32 AM   #7
ivor-honda

Thanks Regisfofo for the info.
I did see this and downloaded it but i couldn't get it to load properly for some reason and seeing as i was in the middle of fiddling around with this project i just left it.
If all else fails though i will give it a re-visit.
Thanks again
Colin
Old 06-11-2022, 03:08 AM   #8
Reapology
Banned

Quote:
So does anyone have any idea of how I can quickly and easily set Reaper up so I am able to swop the songs around, I also need access to all the songs just in case there is an impromptu change in the running order.
Hello- have you got sws installed? and #if so,why not see how the region playlist might work for you?
Seems you can set up different playlists per venue,shuffle,rea_organise,loop etc.
If you want access to all audio for realtime editing..just load all audio into arrange,set up playlists and you can hide everything else visual until needed.
#If audio has tempo embedded and you are not likely to change tempo mid gig,set all audio to no stretch mode and project bpm matters less,if that helps.

All quite simple,logical and straightforward..#if you also want pedal changes mid set,this can also be #automated.
Reapology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 03:53 PM   #9
Bruceqld

A really simple solution is the sws project management extension. You can automate the list using a close project marker action at the end of each song. Re-order projects by dragging the tabs. The management list will update when you click on another song. Export and import set lists. You have immediate access to every song on the list. You can assign commands to midi foot pedals to advance to next tab/project, close tabs, transport etc if required. I use it live. Works great

https://www.sws-extension.org/projmgr.php
Bruceqld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 07:47 AM   #10
ivor-honda

Hello and thank you for help Reapology and Bruceqld, also sorry for the delay in replying this is mainly due to me being side-tracked by family and alcohol (alas not that much alcohol though).
My reaper knowledge is somewhat limited and generally centred around Kenny Gioia although I did manage to find mschnell (Michael) ‘songswitcher’in the ReaPack.
Yes I am a fully paid up member of Reaper so I have the latest SWS extensions installed, and for me this is a project and also a learning process as well. So some of the suggestions made I will need to sit down and have a good think and look at but they sound promising and looking forward to it and having a play with them too.
I have just bought a Triple 3 way USB Foot Pedal Switch to hopefully that will control the transport (previous, next and play) function.
Thanks for your help, I know I use this phrase a lot, but it is much appreciated.
Colin