Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Old 05-30-2023, 06:00 PM   #22721
MT4U
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Waddington View Post
New build is up.

https://stash.reaper.fm/v/42044/CSI%20Exp.zip

Added
Code:
ClearFocusedFXParam
ClearFocusedFX   
ClearSelectedTrackFX
Please check them out, and, if they pass, they will be added to production.
ClearFocusedFX is our manual way to provoke that "FX_Window_has_been_closed" event that the Reaper API is not triggering within CSI.

This is a game changer, Geoff.

After the FX Window is closed, if we call ClearFocusedFX, the previous zone is restored, and opening the FX Window again maps the FX Zone back again to perfection, so now I can call a script to close the FocusedFXWindow followed by ClearFocusedFX and have my cake!
Just need to remember to always close the FX Windows with a button on the MCU.

Now with a little scripting I managed to make that infamous "EQ" button on the X-Touch map my favorite EQ, going back where I was before by pressing Cancel.

Thanks a lot, man!

Now I'm gonna have to rethink a lot of things

CSI_FX
: SubZone based GUI/Automapper for CSI.(UPD:2024-01-13)
Video Demo/Tutorial
Scripts for CSI: Reaper EEL2 scripts to use with CSI

Last edited by MT4U; 05-30-2023 at 08:05 PM.
MT4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 04:52 AM   #22722
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4U View Post
ClearFocusedFX is our manual way to provoke that "FX_Window_has_been_closed" event that the Reaper API is not triggering within CSI.

This is a game changer, Geoff.

After the FX Window is closed, if we call ClearFocusedFX, the previous zone is restored, and opening the FX Window again maps the FX Zone back again to perfection, so now I can call a script to close the FocusedFXWindow followed by ClearFocusedFX and have my cake!
Just need to remember to always close the FX Windows with a button on the MCU.

Now with a little scripting I managed to make that infamous "EQ" button on the X-Touch map my favorite EQ, going back where I was before by pressing Cancel.

Thanks a lot, man!

Now I'm gonna have to rethink a lot of things
Great stuff !!

Could you or someone else please verify that ClearFocusedFXParam and ClearSelectedTrackFX both work so that I can release these changes to production.
Geoff Waddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 06:20 AM   #22723
MT4U

Quote:
Great stuff !!

Could you or someone else please verify that ClearFocusedFXParam and ClearSelectedTrackFX both work so that I can release these changes to production.
Haven’t tested them yet, but with ClearFocusedFX, previous zone colors are not being restored. Similar to what was going on with ClearFXSlot.

CSI_FX
Video Demo/Tutorial
Old 05-31-2023, 06:35 AM   #22724
MixMonkey

Quote:
ClearSelectedTrackFX works (and by implication, GoSelectedTrackFX also works- we were discussing earlier)

ClearFocusedFXParam doesn't seem to do anything. I have the focused fx parameter on the MCU master fader- it follows whatever fx control I touch on the C4. Pressing a button on the MCU for ClearFocusedFXParam doesn't clear the focused fx parameter, the master fader still controls the last touched fx parameter.

ClearFocusedFX doesn't seem to work for me. I turned off the C4 fx menu and enabled FocusedFXMapping. Assigned ClearFocusedFX to a button on the C4. When pressed, I see the displays refresh but it goes back to the fx that was focused, rather than Home.
MixMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 06:48 AM   #22725
MT4U

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixMonkey View Post
ClearSelectedTrackFX works (and by implication, GoSelectedTrackFX also works- we were discussing earlier)

ClearFocusedFX doesn't seem to work for me. I turned off the C4 fx menu and enabled FocusedFXMapping. Assigned ClearFocusedFX to a button on the C4. When pressed, I see the displays refresh but it goes back to the fx that was focused, rather than Home.
After you close an FX Window, either manually or by script, calling ClearFocusedFX will take you back to where you were before.
If you leave the FX Window open the FX will stay mapped, that's the refresh.

CSI_FX
Video Demo/Tutorial

Last edited by MT4U; 05-31-2023 at 07:31 AM.
Old 05-31-2023, 07:47 AM   #22726
MixMonkey

Quote:
After you close an FX Window, either manually or by script, calling ClearFocusedFX will take you back to where you were before.
If you leave the FX Window open the FX will stay mapped, that's the refresh.
Interesting. I thought it was the act of focusing that caused the FX to map (ie opening an FX chain window, clicking on an open FX window) not the presence of the open window. If I close the window, the FX unmaps anyway. I haven’t managed to close an FX window without the FX unmapping, so I guess it’s difficult for me to tell
Old 05-31-2023, 08:11 AM   #22727
MT4U

Quote:
Interesting. I thought it was the act of focusing that caused the FX to map (ie opening an FX chain window, clicking on an open FX window) not the presence of the open window. If I close the window, the FX unmaps anyway. I haven’t managed to close an FX window without the FX unmapping, so I guess it’s difficult for me to tell
Maybe you don't experience it in your workflow, I'll try to describe the situation.

If you have a surface with tracks (MCU, X-Touch) and use those very same tracks to map FX parameters and you have FocusedFXMapping enabled, when you close that FX Window, the track zone doesn't come back.

CSI doesn't know that the window has been closed. As a side effect, if you open that FX window again, CSI will not map it.

If on the other hand, after closing the FX Window you run the ClearFocusedFX CSI action, the track zone comes back properly and opening that FX window again maps it back to your tracks.

It may not seem like a big deal, but add some scripting to the equation and, for example, my EQ button checks the FX Chain and looks for any EQ from a list I have. If it finds any it opens the window, if it finds none, then adds my preferred EQ, and it gets mapped across my surface tracks.

Until now, closing that window would be a problem since CSI wouldn't return to the track zone and wouldn't map the EQ again to my tracks unless I focused a different plug-in and came back to the EQ.

I still can't have a toggle button, but I can press the EQ button and have my EQ shown or added and if I press the "Cancel" button (mapped to FX Window Close and ClearFocusedFX) all works properly and I can press the EQ button again.

That said, this means that Any button on my surface can map Any Plug-In at any given time.

I just hope I was clear enough

CSI_FX
Video Demo/Tutorial

Last edited by MT4U; 05-31-2023 at 08:34 AM.
Old 05-31-2023, 10:12 AM   #22728
MixMonkey

Quote:
Maybe you don't experience it in your workflow, I'll try to describe the situation.

If you have a surface with tracks (MCU, X-Touch) and use those very same tracks to map FX parameters and you have FocusedFXMapping enabled, when you close that FX Window, the track zone doesn't come back.
I see what you mean, and with a seperate surface to map FX to in my workflow, the issue you're describing won't arise. As long as ClearFocusedFX is doing what it's supposed to, it's all good
Old 05-31-2023, 10:39 AM   #22729
Geoff Waddington

Great testing guys !!

Ok, seems like the only unresolved one is ClearFocusedFXParam.

Is that one an issue, or is it a workflow thing ?
Old 05-31-2023, 11:04 AM   #22730
Funkybot

Quote:
Great testing guys !!

I haven't had a chance to test yet - barely been in Reaper/CSI recently the last week or two - but do we need ClearFocusedFXParam? The "ToggleEnableFocusedFXParamMapping" action is a toggle already so if you want to clear, you'd just press again. Unless I'm just failing to grasp a given use-case.
Old 05-31-2023, 11:16 AM   #22731
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkybot View Post
I haven't had a chance to test yet - barely been in Reaper/CSI recently the last week or two - but do we need ClearFocusedFXParam? The "ToggleEnableFocusedFXParamMapping" action is a toggle already so if you want to clear, you'd just press again. Unless I'm just failing to grasp a given use-case.
That may be true, I'm not sure.

The reason I'm adding all of these is the change to eliminate the "slamming Faders".

That approach was very brute force, but it did ensure everything zeroed upon Zone deactivation.

Just want to make sure all the bases are covered if that is now not the case in certain scenarios.
Old 05-31-2023, 02:19 PM   #22732
MixMonkey

Quote:
Great testing guys !!

I think ClearFocusedFXParam may not have worked for me because I don't have a FocusedFXParam Zone (!) If I haven't got the Zone, I can't leave it (I guess)

I've always had FocusedFXParameter on the MCU master fader (with a Control+ modifier)
Old 05-31-2023, 02:29 PM   #22733
MixMonkey

Quote:
That approach was very brute force, but it did ensure everything zeroed upon Zone deactivation.
Any chance of losing the C4 reset between FX Zones? All my C4 FX Zones set any unused widgets to NoAction, so everything is being overwritten twice each time.
Old 06-01-2023, 12:44 PM   #22734
badboynikus

Default In need of CSI 1.1 !

Hello guys. I'm using Reapinger, with my Behringer BCF2000. But I made mistake. I updated my CSI to 3.0. And IMPOSSIBLE to find the 1.1 version, with which my Reapinger used to works perfectly.Do you have any clue on where can I find that ? That would be lovely ! Or if you have another solution, I'm open to everything !
Cheers !
badboynikus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 02:34 PM   #22735
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboynikus View Post
Hello guys. I'm using Reapinger, with my Behringer BCF2000. But I made mistake. I updated my CSI to 3.0. And IMPOSSIBLE to find the 1.1 version, with which my Reapinger used to works perfectly.Do you have any clue on where can I find that ? That would be lovely ! Or if you have another solution, I'm open to everything !
Cheers !
This thread is for technical feature discussion.

We have started a new thread for setup, configuration, etc.

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....278718&page=10

Please have a look at that thread, I have provided a way for you and others to get older versions.

Last edited by Geoff Waddington; 06-01-2023 at 02:43 PM.
Old 06-01-2023, 03:53 PM   #22736
badboynikus

Quote:
This thread is for technical feature discussion.

We have started a new thread for setup, configuration, etc.

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....278718&page=10

Please have a look at that thread, I have provided a way for you and others to get older versions.
Wow, thanks a lot. I'm so dumb sometimes. I spent a LONG time looking for it, and it was in front of my eyes... The hidden letter... Thanks again !
badboynikus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 07:56 AM   #22737
airon

Those new 3.03 actions for for clearing fx stuff are very helpful. Thank you for making those.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 11:06 AM   #22738
Geoff Waddington

Ok, version 3.0 is stabilizing nicely, let's talk about a more formal bug reporting/resolution process.

Github has built in features for this, let's use them.

But how, exactly ?

I think it would be a mistake to just let everyone post bugs directly, often what is perceived as a bug is a configuration/setup or design/architecture issue.

We already have a thread for configuration/setup.

We already have a thread for design/architecture.

Propose we start a third CSI thread for bug reports.

Also suggest there should be a fairly rigorous process to log a bug report, it must be:

Code:
reproducible
verified by at least two people
not already reported
not a configuration/setup issue
not a design/architecture issue
If it is a configuration/setup issue, it should be discussed in the configuration/setup thread.

If it is a design/architecture issue, it should be discussed in the design/architecture thread.

Once the bug has cleared all of those hurdles, then, and only then, it will be entered into the issues area of GitHub, most likely the CSI_Install repo.

The goal is to keep the bug list tight, that way there is at least a slim chance I will be able to keep up

Thoughts, suggestions more than welcomed, the floor is open...
Old 06-02-2023, 12:42 PM   #22739
Funkybot

My first reaction is: bugs might come up in the CSI Device setup thread first anyway, like "hey, am I doing something wrong?" So maybe skip creating a new thread. Otherwise, I fear you'll have bug reports in the device setup thread, device setup questions in the bug reports thread, etc.

I'd think a good process would be:

1. Device setup thread for the "is this a bug or am I doing something wrong" discussion
2. Once confirmed by at least one other user, someone logs on the Github and/or this thread. Some of the regulars like MM, myself, MT4U could try to volunteer to play gatekeeper/reproducer rule.
Old 06-02-2023, 01:53 PM   #22740
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
My first reaction is: bugs might come up in the CSI Device setup thread first anyway, like "hey, am I doing something wrong?" So maybe skip creating a new thread. Otherwise, I fear you'll have bug reports in the device setup thread, device setup questions in the bug reports thread, etc.

1. Device setup thread for the "is this a bug or am I doing something wrong" discussion
2. Once confirmed by at least one other user, someone logs on the Github and/or this thread. Some of the regulars like MM, myself, MT4U could try to volunteer to play gatekeeper/reproducer rule.
Sounds good, the setup thread already has the word bug in the title, so let's keep it that way.

Let's go ahead and use that thread to start the process with the Hardware Sends bug, can you state that bug over there ?
Old 06-02-2023, 02:30 PM   #22741
spkr4thdd

Default EQ Script

Quote:
my EQ button checks the FX Chain and looks for any EQ from a list I have. If it finds any it opens the window, if it finds none, then adds my preferred EQ, and it gets mapped across my surface tracks.
Hi MT4U!

I don't suppose you could share that script? I had a similar one for channel strips, but I've purchased a new Mac, thought I'd transferred all I needed and realised I had pretty much zero of the Reaper stuff I'd tweaked (including all my CSI stuff etc).
It would be great to have a working one as a template.

Hope you don't mind me asking?
Old 06-02-2023, 03:28 PM   #22742
MT4U

Quote:

Count me in.

My setup is:
- Windows 10
- X-Touch + 1 Extender
- X-Touch One (My 1st surface, using it as a button repository these days)
- No OSC for now (maybe next year, time permitting)
- A bunch of synths (welding a 19" 16 port MIDI patch bay right now...)

I believe it's quite different from MM's & FB's and I'm happy to keep up with the development best I can.

CSI_FX
Video Demo/Tutorial
Old 06-02-2023, 03:33 PM   #22743
MT4U

Quote:
Originally Posted by spkr4thdd View Post
Hi MT4U!

I don't suppose you could share that script? I had a similar one for channel strips, but I've purchased a new Mac, thought I'd transferred all I needed and realised I had pretty much zero of the Reaper stuff I'd tweaked (including all my CSI stuff etc).
It would be great to have a working one as a template.

Hope you don't mind me asking?
Of course. I was thinking about making a small video about those when I find the time, but I can post an example or "how-to" easily, but I believe it would belong on the other forum... is that right?

CSI_FX
Video Demo/Tutorial
Old 06-02-2023, 04:21 PM   #22744
spkr4thdd

That's great, thank you.

Quote:
I can post an example or "how-to" easily, but I believe it would belong on the other forum... is that right?
I think so, yes. Maybe not even a CSI thread, as it's really about scripting.
Old 06-02-2023, 04:22 PM   #22745
MixMonkey

Quote:

+1 for this, kinda what happens at the moment. It would be good to have a list of known bugs (that are awaiting fixes), so that a few of the "is this a bug or am I doing something wrong" requests could be headed off at the pass..

I think between us we can cover quite a lot of the issues, but there are bound to be occasions where the problem is specific to a surface that none of us have (SSL UF8, XTouch Compact etc) Hopefully other users of those surfaces will pitch in.
Old 06-02-2023, 04:56 PM   #22746
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
+1 for this, kinda what happens at the moment. It would be good to have a list of known bugs (that are awaiting fixes), so that a few of the "is this a bug or am I doing something wrong" requests could be headed off at the pass..

I think between us we can cover quite a lot of the issues, but there are bound to be occasions where the problem is specific to a surface that none of us have (SSL UF8, XTouch Compact etc) Hopefully other users of those surfaces will pitch in.
Cool.

As far as a list, just click the link in blue below and go to the Issues tab in GitHub, then click on an issue of interest to expand -- there's only one so far
Old 06-02-2023, 05:05 PM   #22747
MixMonkey

Quote:
As far as a list, just click the link in blue below and go to the Issues tab in GitHub, then click on an issue of interest to expand -- there's only one so far
Excellent!
Old 06-02-2023, 05:13 PM   #22748
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Excellent!
Check the other thread for how the process is happening, any suggestions more than welcomed...
Old 06-02-2023, 06:57 PM   #22749
jacksoonbrowne

Quote:
Cool.

Now there are two ...

I was able to post an issue.
And I don't have Admin rights.

You may want to lock that down.
Old 06-03-2023, 01:43 AM   #22750
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksoonbrowne View Post
Now there are two ...

I was able to post an issue.
And I don't have Admin rights.

You may want to lock that down.
I think this is now sorted.

Can someone who has a GitHub account (other than Funkybot) please try to post an issue and let me know what happens.
Old 06-03-2023, 04:30 AM   #22751
MixMonkey

Quote:
Can someone who has a GitHub account (other than Funkybot) please try to post an issue and let me know what happens.
Yep, fixed now. I get:
Code:
An owner of this repository has limited the ability to open an issue to users that are collaborators on this repository.
Old 06-03-2023, 09:30 AM   #22752
spkr4thdd

Geoff,

I've only been back with CSI about 36 hours (having last used 1.1) and have to say I'm blown away! I'm loving the fact that Behringer have opened up the colours outside of their xctl protocol, it's great seeing the X-Touch in all its glory. And my setup is already streets ahead of where it was after months of configuration and tweaking previously, thank you! (Auto FX Mapping is a Godsend!)

I do have a question though (there's always one!)...

Noting the text in bold below (from the Behringer documentation), is there any possibility of implementing the split/inverse colours in the upper and lower display sections of the X-Touch scribble strips?

I'm think that this would one great if we could invert the segment if a plug-in is disabled or something?

LCDs:
• sysex (hex) F0 00 20 32 dd 4C nn cc c1 .. c14 F7
• dd: device id (X-Touch: 0x14, X-Touch-Ext: 0x15)
• nn: LCD number 0..7
• cc: bits 0-2: backlight color (black, red, green, yellow, blue, magenta, cyan, white)
• cc: bit 4: invert upper half of LCD
• cc: bit 5: invert lower half of LCD

• c1..c14: ascii characters (1..7: upper half, 8..14: lower half)

Obviously this isn't important/priority, but I'd be interested to know if you think it can be implemented?
Old 06-03-2023, 10:17 AM   #22753
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Originally Posted by spkr4thdd View Post
Geoff,

I've only been back with CSI about 36 hours (having last used 1.1) and have to say I'm blown away! I'm loving the fact that Behringer have opened up the colours outside of their xctl protocol, it's great seeing the X-Touch in all its glory. And my setup is already streets ahead of where it was after months of configuration and tweaking previously, thank you! (Auto FX Mapping is a Godsend!)

I do have a question though (there's always one!)...

Noting the text in bold below (from the Behringer documentation), is there any possibility of implementing the split/inverse colours in the upper and lower display sections of the X-Touch scribble strips?

I'm think that this would one great if we could invert the segment if a plug-in is disabled or something?

LCDs:
• sysex (hex) F0 00 20 32 dd 4C nn cc c1 .. c14 F7
• dd: device id (X-Touch: 0x14, X-Touch-Ext: 0x15)
• nn: LCD number 0..7
• cc: bits 0-2: backlight color (black, red, green, yellow, blue, magenta, cyan, white)
• cc: bit 4: invert upper half of LCD
• cc: bit 5: invert lower half of LCD

• c1..c14: ascii characters (1..7: upper half, 8..14: lower half)

Obviously this isn't important/priority, but I'd be interested to know if you think it can be implemented?
That SysEx doesn't look anything like MCU mode, are you sure they say it is for MCU mode, and not another mode ?
Old 06-03-2023, 04:14 PM   #22754
spkr4thdd

Quote:
That SysEx doesn't look anything like MCU mode, are you sure they say it is for MCU mode, and not another mode ?
Ah, damn. It's MIDI mode. I thought I'd found something workable after having the xctl document tucked away for a while. I've attached that on the off chance, as it seems to be a different set of values, and isn't caveated with the "Xctl mode only" note.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot 2023-06-04 at 00.08.22.png (99.3 KB, 43 views)
Old 06-06-2023, 10:18 AM   #22755
andrewx

In my Track zone I have
Code:
OnZoneActivation     SetXTouchDisplayColors Cyan
When some track gets removed from the TCP - display colors start following the project's TCP colors, and to make them cyan again, I need to run the "RefreshAllSurfaces" action. Is it possible to maintain colors unchanged after track removal?
andrewx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 10:55 AM   #22756
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewx View Post
In my Track zone I have
Code:
When some track gets removed from the TCP - display colors start following the project's TCP colors, and to make them cyan again, I need to run the "RefreshAllSurfaces" action. Is it possible to maintain colors unchanged after track removal?
I think that's a feature request.

Maybe a new Action -- ToggleAutoTrackColoring.

What do you think folks ?
Old 06-06-2023, 11:11 AM   #22757
Funkybot

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewx View Post
In my Track zone I have
Code:
Quote:
I think that's a feature request.

Maybe a new Action -- ToggleAutoTrackColoring.

What do you think folks ?
If I'm not mistaken, I think this is a setup issue caused by this:
Code:
Zone "Track"
    DisplayUpper|            TrackNameDisplay { Track }
andrewx, if you have that in your Track zone, change that to just this...
Code:
Zone "Track"
    DisplayUpper|            TrackNameDisplay
Does that resolve it? Probably one for the device setup thread.

That { Track } portion is telling CSI to use the track colors, which I think is why it's going back to following track colors.
Old 06-06-2023, 11:45 AM   #22758
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Code:
Zone "Track"
Code:
Zone "Track"

That { Track } portion is telling CSI to use the track colors, which I think is why it's going back to following track colors.
You're exactly right, I should have been more clear.

The solution you state solves it more permanently.

I'm talking about when you want to display Track colours in the Track Zone but avoid the side effect andrewx pointed out.

Usage would be something like:

Code:
OnZoneActivation     ToggleAutoTrackColoring

OnZoneDeactivation   ToggleAutoTrackColoring
OnZoneDeactivation   RestoreXTouchDisplayColors
Old 06-06-2023, 12:58 PM   #22759
Funkybot

Quote:
You're exactly right, I should have been more clear.

The solution you state solves it more permanently.

I'm talking about when you want to display Track colours in the Track Zone but avoid the side effect andrewx pointed out.

Usage would be something like:

Code:
OnZoneActivation     ToggleAutoTrackColoring

OnZoneDeactivation   ToggleAutoTrackColoring
OnZoneDeactivation   RestoreXTouchDisplayColors
Gotcha. That would work. Seems pretty esoteric but sure why not!
Old 06-06-2023, 01:35 PM   #22760
andrewx

Quote:
Code:
Zone "Track"
Code:
Zone "Track"

Removed that { Track } thing, but colors still change anyway.
andrewx is offline   Reply With Quote