Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 05-11-2023, 11:30 AM   #1
STOP
Human being with feelings

Default v6.79+dev0511 - May 11 2023

v6.79+dev0511 - May 11 2023
  • * Includes feature branch: run ReaScripts in REAPER (new instance or already-running instance) from the command line
  • * Includes feature branch: visual track spacers
  • * Includes feature branch: 128 channels per track
  • * Includes feature branch: updated Windows manifest for newer OS features
  • * Includes feature branch: always running non-bypassed FX when the UI is visible
  • * Includes feature branch: crossfade new recording with existing media items if configured
  • * Includes feature branch: video from background projects
  • * Includes feature branch: FX containers
  • * Includes feature branch: improvements to aligning takes after recording
  • * Includes feature branch: arrange view override mouse modifier sections
  • * Includes feature branch: toolbar armed/special animations
  • * Includes feature branch: pooled and unpooled ARA edits
  • * Includes feature branch: shortcut import/export improvements and multiple main keyboard sections
  • * Includes feature branch: GR metering as embedded UI for third-party VSTs
  • * Includes feature branch: media item fixed lanes
  • + Media item lanes: when recording with time selection auto-punch into a new lane and auto-comping, add the entire new recording, but comp only within the time selection [p=2676770]
  • + Mixer: if preference disabled to change track selection when clicking track control panel buttons, do not change track selection when clicking master track meter in the mixer
  • + Recording: display loop counter during recording
  • + Scrub: add preference for adjusting volume gain of scrub/jog
  • + Video: add preference to use standard (accessible) OS editing control for video code
  • # Media item lanes: delete comp areas in source lanes when deleting via razor edit
  • # Media item lanes: handle comp areas when cut/copy/pasting razor edits
This thread is for pre-release features discussion. Use the Feature Requests forum for other requests.

Changelog - Pre-Releases

Generated by X-Raym's REAPER ChangeLog to BBCode
STOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 11:48 AM   #2
ferropop

Thanks so much for trying the Don't Trim behaviour!

It works perfectly with Create Comp Areas For New Recording While Comping engaged (auto-promote). TS gets promoted, full take is captured to lane. Great!

When Create Comp Areas disabled though, it still has the old "trim" behaviour. The same thinking applies in this situation -- you want TS for the auto-mute, you just want to capture takes [no auto-promote], but you don't want to trim to TS!

imo if you're in lanes, there's no situation where it should trim the recording to TS in the source lanes.

Last edited by ferropop; 05-11-2023 at 12:11 PM.
ferropop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 12:04 PM   #3
deeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by STOP View Post
v6.79+dev0511 - May 11 2023
hmm, fingers crossed here. Nice!
Old 05-11-2023, 12:34 PM   #4
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferropop View Post

imo if you're in lanes, there's no situation where it should trim the recording to TS in the source lanes.
I can think of one: just dropping in one line of vocals and you 100% don't need the top and tail either side. In this case keeping chaff lying round the session isn't luxury.
Might as well have both behaviours available?
Old 05-11-2023, 12:39 PM   #5
ferropop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triode View Post
I can think of one: just dropping in one line of vocals and you 100% don't need the top and tail either side. In this case keeping chaff lying round the session isn't luxury.
Might as well have both behaviours available?
Yeah totally fair, I still personally wouldn't use it this way but of course it's valid.
Old 05-11-2023, 12:51 PM   #6
Triode

Thank you for all the testing ahead by the way
Old 05-11-2023, 12:51 PM   #7
FeedTheCat

Quote:
# Media item lanes: handle comp areas when cut/copy/pasting razor edits
Nice! Here are 2 edge cases where the copied comp area fails to sync when "Overlap and crossfade media when finalizing razor edits" is enabled.

Old 05-11-2023, 12:56 PM   #8
FeedTheCat

Small but important detail:

The edit cursor shouldn't move when pressing comp area buttons (similar to media item buttons).

Old 05-11-2023, 01:09 PM   #9
ferropop

Here's an extremely common thing that's weird now with Fixed Lanes.

Creating a reverb throw by Razor-duplicating the end of a vocal, and placing it on a Wet Verb track:

What happens is, because we're going from Collapsed Fixed lanes to a Non-Fixed-Lane track, it's pasting ALL the lanes as overlapping each other, All audible!

There's no indication that this is happening, it simply appears like the Comp Lane take is the only media on the pasted track, but there's 10 vocals playing at the same time. (i Offset Overlapping Media Items at the end to show it)

Should a paste from Fixed-Lanes to Non-Fixed-Lane auto turn on Fixed Lanes on the destination? Or alternatively, should it ONLY paste the Comp Lane item?

Last edited by ferropop; 05-11-2023 at 02:09 PM.
Old 05-11-2023, 01:10 PM   #10
AZpercussion

+ Media item lanes: when recording with time selection auto-punch into a new lane and auto-comping, add the entire new recording, but comp only within the time selection

Oh yessssss!
AZpercussion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 02:32 PM   #11
AZpercussion

Default TS promoting bug

If item doesn't fully cover the TS the promotion works wrong.

Old 05-11-2023, 02:33 PM   #12
bolgwrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferropop View Post
Should a paste from Fixed-Lanes to Non-Fixed-Lane auto turn on Fixed Lanes on the destination? Or alternatively, should it ONLY paste the Comp Lane item?
No thanks, unless this can be avoided: I've been using the stock

Item edit: Move items/envelope points down one track/a bit

to move takes from a vocal record track rather than record into different tracks, and having the target track become a fixed lane track every time is a bit of a pain.

Btw, lanes and comps are starting to make sweet music together.
Old 05-11-2023, 02:45 PM   #13
Vagelis

Quote:
v6.79+dev0511 - May 11 2023[*]# Media item lanes: delete comp areas in source lanes when deleting via razor edit
Nice!

Some notice, when we're moving items with RE in comp lane with all lanes visible, is there a reason to remove the comp areas as well?
Wouldn't it be better to move just the item and unsync the area instead of removing it, in case we want to know where were the last comps or re-comp new ones?
Vagelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 02:53 PM   #14
AZpercussion

Default RE affects hidden lanes

This behavior contradicts the initial idea of keeping sources as is.
Saying I recorded VO and need to edit it. But after edits I'v got my sources messed up. It's inconvenient to open lanes any time I need to make edits. Moreover I prefer to record in collapsed mode.

Old 05-11-2023, 03:07 PM   #15
Vagelis

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZpercussion View Post
This behavior contradicts the initial idea of keeping sources as is.
Saying I recorded VO and need to edit it. But after edits I'v got my sources messed up. It's inconvenient to open lanes any time I need to make edits. Moreover I prefer to record in collapsed mode.
This is super useful while comping is on, but in this case where comping is off I agree that RE should not affect the sources.
Old 05-11-2023, 03:15 PM   #16
AZpercussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagelis View Post
This is super useful while comping is on, but in this case where comping is off I agree that RE should not affect the sources.
Honestly I prefer lanes to be untouched in both modes. Because I also need to make edits right while recording session and create different comps.

It seems there should be an option.
Because for project recomping it's really useful, yes.
Old 05-11-2023, 03:16 PM   #17
Vagelis

Bug/weird behavior with RE and comp areas

When moving a comp area with RE vertically to the lane add area it breaks the comp, but this happens when we grab an area with RE that's smaller than the comp.
In case the RE and comp area have the same size, or if there's a split point on the comp which snaps with the edge of RE, then moving them together it doesn't break the comp.
Also when we drag a comp with RE horizontally above/bellow other comps, it removes the comp in RE. I think in this case it should either replace other comps or just move the item without removing the initial comp.

Old 05-11-2023, 03:19 PM   #18
Vagelis

Quote:
Honestly I prefer lanes to be untouched in both modes. Because I also need to make edits right while recording session and create different comps.

But while comping is on you can make any edit you want without using RE and without touching the sources. On the other hand with RE we have the ability to move the comps with all sources when only one lane is visible, which gives the ability to re-comp at any place on the timeline without worrying if you left anything below at some other area since you can't see them when only one lane is visible and comping is on.
Old 05-11-2023, 03:35 PM   #19
AZpercussion

Quote:
But while comping is on you can make any edit you want without using RE and without touching the sources.
Not any edits. Deleting something is more convenient with RE.
And moreover the copying! How you can copy some fragment other way, without RE?
Old 05-11-2023, 03:55 PM   #20
Vagelis

Quote:
Not any edits. Deleting something is more convenient with RE.
And moreover the copying! How you can copy some fragment other way, without RE?
Are we speaking when comping is on? Because i agreed to not change the sources when comping is off and one lane is visible.
Did you try the mouse modifiers to delete comp areas with items? This doesn't delete the sources, or you can always split and delete the item, but as i said previously any edit is possible without using RE when only one lane is visible. There's also the option to show all lanes and do your edits with RE without touching the sources.
On the other hand we lose the ability to move them all if RE doesn't move the sources with comps when only one lane is visible. For me it seems there are already plenty of solutions for your case, while there's only one way to move all sources with the items in comp lane when it's the only visible and the same thing applies for copying items.
But bare in mind that I agreed to not have this behavior when comping is off, which makes sense because it doesn't interfere with comps.
Old 05-11-2023, 03:58 PM   #21
FeedTheCat

Quote:

+1, there should definitely be an option.

RE is convenient to use for all sorts of edits, and more often than not I'd like the edit to not be reflected in source lanes.
Old 05-11-2023, 04:06 PM   #22
Vagelis

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedTheCat View Post
+1, there should definitely be an option.

RE is convenient to use for all sorts of edits, and more often than not I'd like the edit to not be reflected in source lanes.
Are you preferring to just turn comping off for this, or use another modifier to move all the sources?

Personally I'm preferring the first better instead of using another modifier for such a common task like moving the comps with the sources when only one lane is visible..

Or you can always use RE with all lanes visible too.
Old 05-11-2023, 04:10 PM   #23
AZpercussion

Quote:
Are we speaking when comping is on? Because i agreed to not change the sources when comping is off and one lane is visible.
Did you try the mouse modifiers to delete comp areas with items?<...>
I tried all this stuff, but I'm talking about more conveniece way.
And you didn't answered about comping, by the way)

Basically I use RE, it faster and more simple then extra modifiers, prior splits or opening lanes.

I just asking about option. If you need current behavior you will have it as well.

For me the deleting and copying areas are more common tasks then moving the comps with the sources around project.
Old 05-11-2023, 04:22 PM   #24
Vagelis

Quote:
For me the deleting and copying areas are more common tasks then moving the comps with the sources around project.
So you just want to copy the items in comp lane right? But isn't it possible with marquee tool for items or copy/drag from the comp areas, or if you expand and show all lanes with RE?
Anyway those things are important for me too and are all possible with all lanes visible, which to me it makes sense when comping is on but not when it's off with one lane visible.
And I'm ok with an option but please not with another mouse modifier.
Old 05-11-2023, 04:24 PM   #25
FeedTheCat

Quote:
Did you try the mouse modifiers to delete comp areas with items? This doesn't delete the sources, or you can always split and delete the item, but as i said previously any edit is possible without using RE when only one lane is visible.
I don't see how razor edits affecting other lanes is related to whether comping is on or off.

Yes, you can avoid using RE and use whatever worked before RE was introduced, but that isn't the point... I'm very accustomed to using RE for all sorts of edits and I don't want to worry about messing up source lanes.

If one wants to reserve RE only for edits that affect sources that's obviously fine. But I really wouldn't want to be forced into that as it would drastically change the way I edit based on whether the track has comps or not.
Old 05-11-2023, 04:29 PM   #26
Vagelis

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedTheCat View Post
I don't see how razor edits affecting other lanes is related to whether comping is on or off.
It is related because it makes more sense to move/copy the comps and the sources somewhere else on the timeline with RE, to continue comping when one lane is visible without losing the rest sources.
When comping is off what's the benefit of moving them all when one lane is visible?

Also you're not restricted to use RE for not editing the sources when all lanes are visible.
Btw personally I'm fine with an option but not with another mouse modifier for such a common thing.

Last edited by Vagelis; 05-11-2023 at 04:38 PM.
Old 05-11-2023, 04:42 PM   #27
AZpercussion

Quote:
So you just want to copy the items in comp lane right? But isn't it possible with marquee tool or if you expand and show all lanes with RE?
Anyway those things are important for me too and are all possible with all lanes visible, which to me it makes sense when comping is on but not when it's off with one lane visible.
It's impossible while comping is on. Only possible with RE.
And it's weird and ugly to open lanes each time I need copy or delete some area.

And how the moving material around the project related to comping mode?
It seems weird too. It might be need in both modes.
Saying you just recorded a chorus and want to copy it further, so you are in comping mode.
And if you are not at recording session and want to rearrange the song, recomp all project, here you probably haven't comping mode.
But what if some tracks have this mode and some tracks don't, but you need to recomp your project?

Quote:
And I'm ok with an option but please not with another mouse modifier.
Agreed!
Old 05-11-2023, 05:02 PM   #28
FeedTheCat

Quote:
It is related because it makes more sense to move/copy the comps and the sources somewhere else on the timeline with RE, to continue comping when one lane is visible without losing the rest sources.
When comping is off what's the benefit of moving them all when one lane is visible?

Also you're not restricted to use RE for not editing the sources when all lanes are visible.
Btw personally I'm fine with an option but not with another mouse modifier for such a common thing.
My point is that RE can be used for all sorts of edits, not just copying items. I use it a lot for splitting items with Shift+S and stretching with stretch markers. I also prefer editing the comp with collapsed lanes because the waveform is larger and you can't missclick (same with takes).

But even when copying items I think I'd actually prefer it to not touch source lanes (and secondary comp lanes!).

An option would be ideal imo, so that we can toggle the behavior whenever we need it.

Last edited by FeedTheCat; 05-11-2023 at 05:13 PM.
FeedTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 10:20 PM   #29
dsyrock

Quote:
  • + Video: add preference to use standard (accessible) OS editing control for video code
What are the benefits of enabling this option?
dsyrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 11:22 PM   #30
mschnell

Quote:
Thanks !

Trying how this helps with taking notes on paper when recording multiple lanes in a loop...
-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 11:47 PM   #31
benmiller

currently, when lanes are collapsed, and i add new lane at the bottom of the track i don't automatically see this new lane, i then need to cycle over to the new lane.
Would it be possible to change this to:
when lanes are collapsed, adding a new lane automatically makes that the playing lane?
This would make it easier to work while keeping all lanes collapsed.

I'm not sure i see any usecases where you create a new lane and don't want to see it.
benmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 01:55 AM   #32
sockmonkey72

Default CLAP plugin scanning on Apple Silicon

I posted this bug in the main forum before checking whether it's a pre-release only problem. That appears to be the case.

Short summary: CLAP plugins are not scanning properly on Apple Silicon in the latest pre-release. Every plugin fails. They scan fine in the release version, and in other hosts.

Thanks for checking it out!
Old 05-12-2023, 04:35 AM   #33
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by benmiller View Post
when lanes are collapsed, adding a new lane automatically makes that the playing lane?
This occurs now when adding a new lane to a track that already has at least 2 lanes, if only one lane was previously playing.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 06:02 AM   #34
Edgemeal

Normalize source item, comp lane doesn't auto-update?
https://stash.reaper.fm/46845/0511%2...0normalize.gif
Edgemeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 08:25 AM   #35
Gass n Klang

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
[/LIST]Thanks !

Trying how this helps with taking notes on paper when recording multiple lanes in a loop...
-Michael
Where do I see the number? Didn't find it
Old 05-12-2023, 08:27 AM   #36
sockmonkey72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gass n Klang View Post
Showing up here for me:

Old 05-12-2023, 08:33 AM   #37
ferropop

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolgwrad View Post
No thanks, unless this can be avoided: I've been using the stock

Item edit: Move items/envelope points down one track/a bit

to move takes from a vocal record track rather than record into different tracks, and having the target track become a fixed lane track every time is a bit of a pain.

Btw, lanes and comps are starting to make sweet music together.
My point is that copying collapsed fixed-lane media to non-fixed-lane tracks shouldn't result in all the lanes simply overlapping each other, all audible. Trying to propose the best solution.

If turning the destination into a fixed-lane track is not the move, then seems logical to simply paste the comp-lane item only. But certainly not all the lanes overlapping?

To refine this :: maybe if source track is Collapsed, only paste Comp Lane item -- if it's UnCollapsed and you select multiple lanes, paste them overlapping or as an item with takes? Overlapping takes of identical size just seems like a terrible option though because you don't know it's happening unless you hear it.

Last edited by ferropop; 05-12-2023 at 01:36 PM.
Old 05-12-2023, 08:56 AM   #38
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gass n Klang View Post
Just tried it:

At the left top corner of the waveform. it appears only with the second loop run.

The upcoming lane name would be more convenient, but the loop counter does help !

Thanks to the devs !
-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 09:43 AM   #39
Coachz

reaper679+dev0511_x64-install.exe from https://www.landoleet.org/

triggers virus alert and deletes reaper.exe in windows 11 using defender

Last edited by Coachz; 05-12-2023 at 10:51 AM.
Coachz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 10:48 AM   #40
smandrap

Quote:
+ Video: add preference to use standard (accessible) OS editing control for video code
Sorry what is this?
smandrap is offline   Reply With Quote