Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 05-27-2023, 10:13 AM   #1
saagpaneer
Human being with feelings

Default What's the difference between MIDI Editor and MIDI Piano Roll?

I'm looking at Mouse Modifiers, and it can be hard to know what the different contexts refer to.

Specifically, what's the difference between the MIDI Piano Roll context and the MIDI Editor context?
saagpaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 10:22 AM   #2
vitalker

Piano roll is a piano roll, midi editor is a background for notes. You can always click somewhere and then open Preferences to see the context. Usually it displays last touched context.
vitalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 10:38 AM   #3
saagpaneer

I'm sorry but I still don't understand. I have a MIDI region open in the editor, and I click in between the notes, and it seems like that's the MIDI Piano Roll context. I can't figure out what the MIDI Editor context refers to.
Old 05-27-2023, 11:12 AM   #4
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by saagpaneer View Post
I'm sorry but I still don't understand. I have a MIDI region open in the editor, and I click in between the notes, and it seems like that's the MIDI Piano Roll context. I can't figure out what the MIDI Editor context refers to.
Yeah, sorry, piano roll is also a background for notes. If you noticed, MIDI editor context has only one mouse button context (right drag). It's kind of same as piano roll, but only for right drag. It's also a background for notes and CC lanes, but just for right drag. Don't know why they are separated.
vitalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 11:15 AM   #5
solger

Quote:
Originally Posted by saagpaneer View Post
There are different mouse actions (left click/drag vs. right drag) available depending on the context:

MIDI Piano Roll
  • double click
  • left click
  • left drag

MIDI Editor
  • right drag
Old 05-27-2023, 03:03 PM   #6
saagpaneer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
Yeah, sorry, piano roll is also a background for notes. If you noticed, MIDI editor context has only one mouse button context (right drag). It's kind of same as piano roll, but only for right drag. It's also a background for notes and CC lanes, but just for right drag. Don't know why they are separated.
Ohhhh I get it — Midi Editor includes the MIDI Piano Roll and the MIDI CC Lane; you have to have the same right-drag modifier actions for those two areas. Confusing! Thanks for your help.